Bungie's Words of Destiny

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Bungie's Words of Destiny

Bungie's next big thing is a "shared world shooter."

Read Full Article

It feels like a cross between Halo, Fallout, and... Guild Wars? Is that the same artist behind Guild wars who's doing this artwork? I still think it looks cool, depending on what platform it's for I might look into getting it.

I don't know exactly what to think given that it's a lot of big talk but little real content. It's sort of like a verbal version of a teaser trailer. As a concept, though, it sounds all well and good with some neat details.

I am curious about the choice to do it on 360/PS3 though. That seems like a mistake to me at this point given that we're likely to see at least one next gen system by the end of the year.

dragongit:
It feels like a cross between Halo, Fallout, and... Guild Wars? Is that the same artist behind Guild wars who's doing this artwork? I still think it looks cool, depending on what platform it's for I might look into getting it.

I see more Lost Planet 2 with a hint of Halo, Mass Effect, and EVE Online. Also more MMO elements while still being an FPS.

But seriously, this looks awesome.

Still, I can't help but feel like they could announce this game as a release title along side the next Xbox and the next PS3. It would totally give them some space to do more shit on that game.

I'm loving the artwork and the concept so far.

Let's see how this pans out.

The lack of a PC option is very disappointing, I loving the look on other fronts and I hope they pull it off. Bungie has been one of my favorite developers just based on personality so I hope they find just as much success.

Well they've certainly got my full attention. I have some doubts, but I also think it sounds awesome.

Hype, hype, hype, wait... no PC? Whelp that ruins the hype for me.

looks very interesting, with my PC options limited and the desire to experience a mmo-ish feel, hopefully this get it done right, but like alwaysI take this with some salt, gameplay needs to be good (and for the love of god no weapon loadout restrictions)

This looks intriguing, and right now I'm genuinely interested.

Hopefully they'll bring in the same composer who did the soundtrack for the Halo games for this. That would be cool

They can say it's not an MMO all they want, but it sure as hell still sounds like one.

This sounds like a really REALLY cool game and one I would be all over if it were single player, but the online stuff kinda kills it for me. My connection kind of sucks and I don't really play games to connect with others because that's what I do all day. Hopefully there will be an offline option, but I'm not holding my breath.

Colonel Mustard:

Hopefully they'll bring in the same composer who did the soundtrack for the Halo games for this. That would be cool

They are, you can see Marty in the video. I am very intrigued by this. The world looks interesting, but then the Halo world is interesting too, and they never managed to bring that out very well in the games. The seamless co-op feature is very interesting. If they do it well, that could be absolutely amazing. I'm hopeful, but I don't want to get too excited. It probably wont come out for a long time.

This looks like a pretty awesome concept. Hope it works

Ok, if its really as good as it sounds, then Activision might end up with another lisence to print money.

At the very least id like to hope it tightens the noose around the MMS subgenre, clearing the way for more sci-fi and fantasy shooters.

No gameplay footage, no details, and yet they're beginning to take pre-orders.

Might wanna, ya know... do something... before asking us to shill out our money.

I mean, its Bungie, but most of the crew that made Bungie's one famous endeavor aren't on the project. As far as I'm concerned, there is no consumer goodwill built up with them. The QA of their previous titles is cleaned when they throw on a whole new crew.

If they wanna have their PR teams send out a bunch of concept art, fine. I get it - thats how the business works. But actually show something for the game before you start saying "Yeah, you can put money down." A blurb and some cool concept art aren't enough to get the hype going.

The setting looks interesting and Bungie always does good work. It's just a shame that you're going to see most of this universe, that they've put so much time and effort into fleshing out, from down a gun barrel. It seems like such a waste of a potentially good setting. It's so limiting for telling stories.

And, yeah, it's kind of a bummer that there's no PC version.

Reallt dissapointed in the lack of PC release, as well as the fact that there will be no cross console interaction. If this does end up as big as Bungie hopes, there will be constant debate over which console's version is better (or one might be the obvious winner is which case the other console will be shit out of luck). I do like that they are not going with a subscription though.

I'm also wondering how they want to pull off a 10 year game on consoles that are on the verge of being replaced.

Uber Waddles:
No gameplay footage, no details, and yet they're beginning to take pre-orders.

Might wanna, ya know... do something... before asking us to shill out our money.

I mean, its Bungie, but most of the crew that made Bungie's one famous endeavor aren't on the project. As far as I'm concerned, there is no consumer goodwill built up with them. The QA of their previous titles is cleaned when they throw on a whole new crew.

If they wanna have their PR teams send out a bunch of concept art, fine. I get it - thats how the business works. But actually show something for the game before you start saying "Yeah, you can put money down." A blurb and some cool concept art aren't enough to get the hype going.

Baby steps my friend, baby steps. The gameplay will be out before too long. They'd be crazy not to. They're probably still polishing it. Probably. This is more of an announcement than anything else.

Like most people here I'm surprised this has been announced for the current console generation but I'm also quite glad; I'm not ready to wave goodbye to my Xbox 360 yet.

I have a lot of faith in Bungie. The Halo series is one of my favourite franchises and unlike most they knew when to bail. However, only time will tell if their good intentions can be translated into a fantastic game. I like the concepts so far; hopefully it'll be every bit as epic and ridiculous as Halo's world was.

Reading everything about what they're trying to accomplish with this, I find it very strange that it's not on PC.

There is a 100% chance the soundtrack is going to be amazing, this is not a guess.

Adam Jensen:
Reading everything about what they're trying to accomplish with this, I find it very strange that it's not on PC.

Not on PC /yet/. Activision (yeah they're publishing it and I'm not 100% happy with that) said "We would absolutely love to be on the PC. If you talk to the people upstairs, we play it on all platforms. So, stay tuned." So who knows yet.

...need for a constant internet connection...

Just as I was getting excited. *sigh*

Dark Souls has an epic shared feel to it when online. However, it does not need a constant internet connection, which is useful since I can't supply one. If this does need a constant internet connection, it means I can't play it. Which is a real shame, since it sounds awesome.
So please Bungie, even if it feels like you're making a version that is only 80% of the 'real' game, please make an offline playmode.

I'm a little turned off buy the constant internet connection, hopefully this isn't foreshadowing to what the new consoles will be bringing. But I like the art, I love the idea, but I'd like to see some more gameplay footage and info on the customization before I even consider putting this on a Christmas list.

Uber Waddles:

As far as I know, most of the old Bungie is still there, only a couple of folks left to go to 343.

The_Darkness:

...need for a constant internet connection...

Just as I was getting excited. *sigh*

They are trying to avoid calling it an MMO, but it kind of is an MMO. Perhaps a new, better kind of MMO. At least it won't be subscription based.

juyunseen:

Adam Jensen:

Not on PC /yet/. Activision (yeah they're publishing it and I'm not 100% happy with that) said "We would absolutely love to be on the PC. If you talk to the people upstairs, we play it on all platforms. So, stay tuned." So who knows yet.

It's still weird that it's not being developed for PC from the start. This sounds like a multiplayer game that PC gamers dream about.

Does anyone else think that building a city below a gigantic sky sphere is a disaster waiting to happen?

Did anyone else see that massive orb, and immediately think about how that would negatively affect the Earth's gravity and orbit?

If those were in game shots it's going to be purdy.

fnartilter:
Did anyone else see that massive orb, and immediately think about how that would negatively affect the Earth's gravity and orbit?

I don't think that thing is big enough to actually do all that much. I mean, it's like saying the Earth would have a large impact on Jupiter if it was right next to it.

This game might actually get me to play Xbox again, and that's saying something. Just hope it doesn't bomb like so, so many ambitious projects.

Adam Jensen:

Does anyone else think that building a city below a gigantic sky sphere is a disaster waiting to happen?

Yep. Oh definitely. It's Chekhov's Sphere:

If, in the first act trailer, a gun sphere is hanging on the wall above the city, by the third act end of the game it will have been fired fallen from the sky onto the city (or at least, threatened to but got stopped by the player character...)

What is all this nonsense about their not being a PC version? When they first announced the project they stated it was going to be on PS3, Xbox 360, but next-gen consoles and PC are slated for a later release

And who said they can't release a version for current-gen alongside the launch of the new consoles? Bungie should be able to do some pretty decent scaling for various hardware. The most difficult thing would be dealing with architectures, but the current architecture for the next-gen Playstation and Xbox is akin to a PC anyway, so if they're developing a PC version they should be able to port it rather easily.

Whew... of to spread the good news to the rest of the PC community!

Edit: http://www.examiner.com/article/bungie-posts-reveal-date-for-destiny-on-pc-ps3-ps4-xbox-360-and-xbox-720
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/bungie-project-untitled/1226761p1.html

If they can deliver on these promises.

And if they make the PCs true 'empty vessels' rather than the failed (to me) attempt at compromise that was Master Chief.

Then I can say I am intrigued. Still gonna wait until it's actually out before I make my decision, though.

Tahaneira:
If they can deliver on these promises.

And if they make the PCs true 'empty vessels' rather than the failed attempt at compromise that was Master Chief.

Then I can say I am intrigued. Still gonna wait until it's actually out before I make my decision, though.

Failed attempt "To You" Lots of people liked it

OT: Honestly, This looks like a great idea, and if bungie can make lightning strike twice they may be able to make the next best thing in gaming. However that being said, i've been burned pretty bad on hype before, especially by Bungie *Cough* Halo Reach *Cough* so, I'll wait and see where this goes before claiming I'll buy it. I could easily see it Failing miserably and killing Bungie.

Adam Jensen:

Its not on PC?

I Didn't Ask For this!

Sorry, I had to do it

But he's the question we all want to know... and by "we", I mean "I".

Will I be able to aim down my sights?

I've gotten kinda used to it and miss it greatly when it's not there.

fnartilter:

If those were in game shots it's going to be purdy.

My first though was "Really, building a city underneath THAT thing? Isn't it going to be very shadowy, and what if it ever drops to the ground?" Sure you're probably fucked on all grounds once that thing eventually hits the surface, but I'd still not feel safe building a city underneath it.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here