Jimquisition: Previewed, Preordered, Prescrewed

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Not exactly news to me. I've never preordered a game in my life. Even if I'm 99% sure that I'll enjoy the game (Skyrim and Borderlands 2 for example).

I never preorder because games these days have a very high chance of being broken on release. The sooner you pay, the shittier the product you receive. The best thing to do is to wait three months until the first batch of customers have had their first playthroughs ruined by bugs and glitches and the publisher has had time to hurriedly shove out waves of patches to fix stuff that should have been sorted out long before release.

Why pay more money for a crappier version of the game?

The thing is, this isn't so much on the developers as it is on the consumers as well. The consumer must surely know the risk they are taking with a pre-order? Aliens is just one of the cases in which the gamble failed to pay off.

Frankly, it pangs of naivety that so many people where surprised when Aliens turned out to be shit; a game in development hell with no previous titles or established series to assure a standard of quality. Sure, the demo might have looked excellent (the demo you weren't permitted to play, that is), but then again so did Duke Nukem - "shit throwing? Ego? It looks like a riot!"

By all means, be impetuous, continue to pre-order and take risks on the titles you want, but recognise that you are the one choosing to take a fucking gamble, so don't complain when you get a bad hand.

Yay! I never pre-ordered anything! You may preform oral sex on me Jim whenever you feel like it.

Also I intend to use your "Shut up and earn my money." phrase more than it's healthy.

Draconalis:
My first ever meme, created in honor of this momentous occasion.

This one's for you Jim.

I quite liked that. Thanks.

I still can't get into the pre-order mindset. Are people really that impatient that they have to get a game they could get a month or a year later? I took a look at my Steam library statistics, and it says I have over $1000 worth of games, but the reality is, to acquire all those games I only paid a tenth of that at the most. Just through being a little patient, I can still get the exact game as the people who pre-ordered, but with the assurance of a good critical reception, the bugs patched out, the pre-order bonuses and DLC included in a game of the year edition, and at a fraction of the price.

RaikuFA:

barbzilla:

TorchofThanatos:
I have only pre-ordered 6 games over all my years in gaming and I haven't been screwed once.
Mass Effect 2, Mass Effect 3, Halo 3, Halo ODST, Halo Reach and Halo 4 are all games that I have enjoyed and I don't regret a thing.

The problem with TB is his paranoia of the "Fans." A "fan" to him is a scary being who drags the video game industry back. An evil creature who can't be trusted and is the reason that, he feels, the industry is crap. I mean I also don't like his hatred to consoles but that is another argument.

Pre-ordering is not bad, If you like the free shit you get, do it. I don't get how being screwed on pre-ordering one game makes all of pre-ordering wrong. I get that you are angry because your game sucked but it is one game.

To answer your question at the end:
Pre-Ordering is a bad practice because it encourages sales before there is a product to sell. That in and of itself doesn't seem as terrible as all that, but it is. What we encourage by giving our money away before the game is made is allowing the publisher/developer leeway to commit acts that can skew the final product. They know the game will be successful no matter what they do at that point, so they can (if they choose to) stop production on the game you have pre-ordered and still make a profit. While it doesn't mean that is what they will do, it is something that can and has happened.

But what about localized games? The products finished all that needs to be done is translating the game. I can find the finished product on youtube to make sure I'm not lied to. Plus a lot of games I preorder are games that are on a first come first serve basis meaning if I don't pre order it, I can't be garunteed a copy down the road without paying double for just the disc/cartridge. Is preordering harder to find games bad for the industry as well?

If you are pre-ordering for pragmatic reasons I don't have an issue with it. I understand that there can be value in pre-ordering as well. I think if a company wants to sell pre-orders they should come with another game or a discount as most steam pre-orders do. This gives you some form of compensation for the product. There also needs to be a lemon law to protect the customers though. Most retailers won't let you return software if a game isn't as advertised.

TorchofThanatos:

barbzilla:

TorchofThanatos:
I have only pre-ordered 6 games over all my years in gaming and I haven't been screwed once.
Mass Effect 2, Mass Effect 3, Halo 3, Halo ODST, Halo Reach and Halo 4 are all games that I have enjoyed and I don't regret a thing.

The problem with TB is his paranoia of the "Fans." A "fan" to him is a scary being who drags the video game industry back. An evil creature who can't be trusted and is the reason that, he feels, the industry is crap. I mean I also don't like his hatred to consoles but that is another argument.

Pre-ordering is not bad, If you like the free shit you get, do it. I don't get how being screwed on pre-ordering one game makes all of pre-ordering wrong. I get that you are angry because your game sucked but it is one game.

To answer your question at the end:
Pre-Ordering is a bad practice because it encourages sales before there is a product to sell. That in and of itself doesn't seem as terrible as all that, but it is. What we encourage by giving our money away before the game is made is allowing the publisher/developer leeway to commit acts that can skew the final product. They know the game will be successful no matter what they do at that point, so they can (if they choose to) stop production on the game you have pre-ordered and still make a profit. While it doesn't mean that is what they will do, it is something that can and has happened.

Imagine you have a child. You give the child a project (lets say: pulling the weeds in the garden) and tell him that when he finishes his project you will give him a new video game. The child will get out there and start working hard and fast to get the project done. He knows that you will come check his work before you give him the game, so he does a thorough job. After he is done and you check the garden, you give him his game. That is how normal business practices work. Now lets see how the pre-order theory works in the same scenario. You tell the child that if he pulls all the weeds in the garden you will give him a new video game. The child goes out and starts working hard and fast, but half way through it he calls you outside to check the garden, you see his work and think he is doing a great job. Seeing as how he is doing so well, you say "wow, wonderful job. Here is your video game kid" and you go back inside. At this point the kid has the video game in his hands, how good of a job do you think he will do on the rest of the garden...

True if the kid is good he will finish the job at the same level he started it, but we are talking about developers who have a habit of screwing their customers over. These people will not continue at the same level they started at. They will rush the rest and go play with their new toy (or your money as it were).

This is why the practice is bad.

I understand the your reason but I don't believe that would ever happen, The game can and will be shipped out early but not because of your reason. The people who make the game do not get paid depending on how well the game sells. The producers or company make more money depending on how well the game sells. So yes, the producers could push out the game early if they wanted just the pre-order sales.

That being said I don't believe that a game will suck because they got lazy because of pre-orders. They game would have sucked weather they got pre-orders or not.
I do realize that games having the option to pre-order like a year in advance could possible lead to what you were talking about but I don't believe that it would ever happen. The game would suck not matter if it was pre-ordered or not. Don't count your chickens before they hatch, is a saying that works here. No company is going to say that they are just happy with the pre-order sales and they don't want to make more money.

I get what you are saying but i don't believe that would ever happen and really Gearbox only has one good game series (Borderlands). Jim said that the company had good will. Really? All I see is a group of people doing knee jerk reaction to one game that sucked. It is like my friends pre-ordering ff13-2 and getting mad at pre-ordering because his game sucked. FF-13 sucked.

I guess I am just really careful with with my pre-orders. The only risk I took was with Halo 4 and I am having lots of fun with it. I guess the lessen is be carful pre-ordering and know it is a risk but the bane of gaming? I didn't think so

I don't think you have to stop pre-ordering period. I just think that as pre-orders become more popular and we are pre-ordering much further in advance we will run into this issue. I didn't mean to make it sound that like that is the issue currently (my apologies if it did). I honestly didn't care so much about the A:CM, my only real gripe with it is the AI. I have horrible eye sight and never really notice graphical differences (unless they are extreme). I have always been on the pre-orders can turn bad bandwagon though. We have already seen a few cases of it going bad though. The most notorious being Diablo 3 and Mass Effect 3 (3s in general seem to be cursed). And Diablo 3 wasn't even that bad of a game, it just wasn't Diablo 2 LoD.

If the publisher wants to sell pre-orders they need to offer something substantial, and not just something ripped off from the game. I like the pre-orders that include a copy of the previous game and/or have a discount associated with it.

MagmaMan:
[...]As for Bioshock: Infinite the developers, Ken Levine in particular, has more then a decade of trust built up for him. System Shock 2 was and still is one of the best games ever made, and System Shock 1 while not as good was still one of the most terrifying games I've ever played as well as having the usual excellent story and at the least a "unique" atmosphere. Bioshock wasn't quite as amazing as System Shock 2 but still was incredible and I can tell you that just about nothing is going to stop me from getting Infinite because of how much of a fanboy I happen to be for the Shock games. The two franchises are two of the best the gaming medium has to offer and shame on anyone who hasn't played System Shock 2.

Is SS2 really that good?
Those games are from the time before I was a gamer. I've been playing some games from back then however, because neither the next Half-Life, nor the next Fallout are in sight and there weren't any releases lately that I really looked forward to.
I played Half-Life and loved it. I have recently purchased Deus Ex on Steam and will play it as soon as I have more time. SystemShock 2 is also often mentioned as one of the best games of that time. I don't own BioShock myself, but played it a bit years ago. Now it's on the first place of my Steam-wishlist and I will get it once it's on sale. I loved it back then.

I don't think I've ever preordered a game.

Apparently, I rock.

MrMixelPixel:
I feel pretty safe in preordering Pokemon X and Y. I just... have this feeling in my gut after playing every other Pokemon game, I'm gonna like it. I rarely preorder, but when I do... I'm usually right.

Although, with that said, I'm cautious for the various reasons Jim presented.

That would be because Game Freak has really improved upon the Pokemon franchise with each generation. I've played almost every generation (the third being the exception) and they've improved on almost every aspect, from story to gameplay.

Consider Black 2 and White 2 - your rival, Hugh, goes through his own character development as the story progresses. Likewise, he goes through a range of emotions as the circumstances are presented to him. Then, you have the Team Boss, Colress, whose only obsession is the strength of Pokemon through his research and nothing else. When you take a closer look at their names and personalities, especially when in their Japanese context, you can tell Game Freak put a good deal of thought into their supporting characters.

Hugh, "Hue" - range of colors. In this case, range of emotions, which can be derived from colors. For those who are confused on this topic, look up "mood ring".

Colress, "Achroma" - Achroma, meaning lack of color or "colorless". In this case, his sole desire, his research, is the only thing that he outwardly expresses.

The character "N", whom was a major presence in the previous installment, is now breifly encountered in Black and White 2. Yet, those who've played the first Gen 5 games will notice a distinct change in N's behavior; especially when you go to challenge him after beating the Elite Four and Champion for the first time. Where N was completely closed off to human interaction before, he now understands people better thanks to the protagonist of Black/White. Also consider his battle animation differences: in Black/White, he unfolds his arms and has the look of a more-than-serious trainer; in Black 2/White 2, he unfolds his arms and smiles - something that he never showed in Black/White.

As for the pre-order aspects of what Jim brought up - he's ultimately correct. However, I, too, pre-ordered both X and Y solely for the fact that Game Freak has improved on their product from installment to installment. And what they mess up on, they take note of and correct it for future installments. This shows devotion not only to their consumer base but to their franchise, as well.

That said, I did also pre-order Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm...and I'm seriously reconsidering that decision based on their recent and not-so-recent actions.

As a die hard Nintendo Fanatic, I have pre-ordered every game but one in the past year(which was the adventure time game) and I have yet to leave disappointed.

I try to match my purchasing patterns with the amount of appreciation I want to show to the developer and/or publisher. The only game I've ever preordered was Portal 2. I knew the kind of quality to expect from Valve, and as expected they delivered on that expectation and then some.

On the other hand, I waited a good six months before purchasing Mass Effect 3, because I didn't want to give $60 or another launch-day purchase to EA and their terribly exploitative business practices. So by the time I bought it, it was down to a more palatable $40, and Bioware had released the DLC that "fixed" the ending.

GLo Jones:
The next video game crash can't come soon enough. Hopefully it won't be the death of the Escapist.

I feel like a video game "crash" is a bit too dramatic, because the only time something "crashes" with disastrous results like the Atari crash is when all of an industry's eggs are in one basket and then that basket explodes. The games industry is very diverse now, no longer in the hands of just a couple of companies. You've got EA, Valve, Square Enix, Capcom, Bethesda, CD Projeckt, Ubisoft, Team Ninja, Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony, Apple, Android, Sega...and so many more I just can't think of at the moment. The games industry is more diverse than it has ever been. It would take multiple companies failing at once for it to be called a "crash" at this point, which only becomes less likely as more companies take the stage and more consoles and outlets for games emerge. Even if a big player like EA fails, it'll be split up into parts like THQ was and other companies will rise to fill the gap.

Even if the biggest tree in a forest falls, that doesn't mean the entire forest is destroyed. That tree gets reabsorbed by the smaller trees around it, and those other small trees grow since they're no longer in the shade of the big one. The only way the forest can be destroyed is if all of the trees are gone. The games industry isn't a single tree now, it's a forest.

God that was more existential than I intended it to be.

I've seen soo many companies that I've loved and trusted screw up on games this generation Jim it's kinda sickening from bioware, gearbox, sega, konami and square and only one of them I somewhat trust still. Which is square cause out of all the companies square was the only one to man up and take responsibility for there actions instead of trying to blame customers or media, they took the hit for ff14 made it completely free while they restructure and fix the game listening to fans and same thing with ff13 why do you think we got 2 sequels? They are testing new gameplay ideas and fixes for the current failed series so that the next ff and versus don't end up being a dissapointment to fans. Surprisingly they actually listen unlike bioware and swtor who don't listen to squat.

Saviordd1:
Mass Effect 3 is what got me out of preordering games, this just confirms it for more people.

I honestly hope people take this to heart and don't preorder games based on previews or brand recogn....

So much for that idea.

Deeply worried about Bioshock Infinite.

Bioshock is not looking good in hindsight and I see where big promises have fallen short.

All I'm going to go is expect the worse and have cautious non-committal hope for the best, then ideally it's a pleasant surprise rather than a crushing disappointment.

DVS BSTrD:
I'm not ashamed to say I pre-ordered Dishonored (because I knew exactly what I would be getting and development time was shorter than the average lifespan of a Saint Bernard) but I'm not doing it again.

2 things. 1. 0:46 And you have every right to be. I swear it's DNF all over again. 2:56 And I'm sure Yahtzee like Molyneaux as a guy, but he still needs to follow through. 3:18 The shear BALLS of these guys! 4:24 Funny,ain't it? Funny how the people about to BUY your product need to prove themselves instead of the merchant themselves isn't it? I mean,come on! Entice me to buy your product, show ME I'm not wasting my cash dropping however much on your product. Show me it was a worthwhile purchase, and that YOU are not trying to fleece ME.6:38 Amen. 2. On the note of the picture....TO ARMS! Incoming reviews! BRACE YOURSELVES!

Lately, I have been getting less and less interested in buying/pre-ordering games before a collection of reviews come out. The only exception to this is when a demo is released, as that (usually) gives you an idea of what the game could be like.

I have been looking forward to games like God of War, Gears of War, Metal Gear Rising and many more, but now, off the cuff of Aliens: Colonial Marines, I have to take a serious look at my list of games and what will be worth picking up now, which is both highly annoying and very sad :s

Treblaine:

Saviordd1:
Mass Effect 3 is what got me out of preordering games, this just confirms it for more people.

I honestly hope people take this to heart and don't preorder games based on previews or brand recogn....

So much for that idea.

Bioshock is not looking good in hindsight and I see where big promises have fallen short.

All I'm going to go is expect the worse and have cautious non-committal hope for the best, then ideally it's a pleasant surprise rather than a crushing disappointment.

yeah slightly worried too although I still think the original Bioshock has held up and I have some faith in Infinite being good although I'm not pre-ordering it.

I believe the only games I have ever pre-ordered have been Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.

Whatever happend to "Never judge a book by it's cover?"
I mean..really.

That's exactly what people need to start considering and remembering.

Pre-ordering hasn't been a necessity since DDS got out, and I find myself pre-ordering games now much like I would a game that's a year old. It goes on my wishlist in steam, then when I find myself in the mood I buy everything that's on my wishlist. Odds of me tearing open the packaging and playing the game on release night are slim to none.

Granted, if ACM had been switched with Dishonored, the last game I preordered based on a strong pre-release showing, I imagine I'd be pretty ticked off. I haven't really been bitten by the pre-order as of yet, but it's true that that's no reason to ignore it. I was upset with the multiple incentives to pre-order Dishonored, and ended up going with none of them (Steam users didn't get anything). I don't know, does that count as 'voting with my wallet'?

I think it's important that people just make informed decisions rather than spur of the moment purchases and then realizing it sucks later. Reviews, watch the pre-release trailers and interviews, etc. In this case, with seemingly spurious information at every turn, it's hard to win that one, but otherwise I would say it's probably safe to preorder if you're near certain you'll buy the game anyway.

TheProfessor234:
To this day though, the only game I pre-ordered, that I remember, was Mass Effect 3. That was mainly because everyone else was doing it, I got 1&2 off of Steam on a discount and loved them, and I wanted some of the pre-order stuff. Nothing else has really grabbed me to that point.

Last Bioware game I'll ever pre-order ... I saw the DA2 disaster coming a mile off, but I thought that was their second stringer franchise at best. They weren't going to do that to their money maker right?

Oh how wrong I was ... they didn't just screw the single player game up, they murdered the entire franchise (I got a kick out of seeing them basically beg on twitter "Come on guys, you like prequels right??? Please tell me you like prequels.").

Tallim:

Treblaine:

Saviordd1:

So much for that idea.

yeah slightly worried too although I still think the original Bioshock has held up and I have some faith in Infinite being good although I'm not pre-ordering it.

I believe the only games I have ever pre-ordered have been Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.

By all means, Bioshock was not a bad game, but looking back I can't see it as a great game... which wouldn't be a problem except it promised greatness. It had such a brilliant design and ideas... but I think the execution was fatally flawed.

I mean Big Daddy, brilliant design, brilliant concept... ruined by the approach. I mean the developers went on the record saying it was supposed to be like big-game hunting. But that impression is RUINED by how they are no threat at all till you attack them, you can't run up to an elephant in big game hunting, the point of big game hunting is half the time YOU are being hunted. I mean you can walk right up to a Big Daddy and point a shotgun in their face and they won't even shrug, lay traps all around them and they'll totally ignore you. The player should be terrified of such treading behemoths... but the gameplay missed the point.

If should have been that the player constantly ran and hid from each Big Daddy.

Splicers, another great idea, they were conceptually more than just reskinned stormtroopers or demons, they were people... Except in execution they incessantly attacked you with almost no sense of self-preservation or reasoning. I mean I expected something more like the wild-west or shifting factions and hostility, where they could be bribed or at least some sort of détente maintained at least some of the time.

That's what I'm worried about with Bioshock Infinite, they will do the same, they will have concepts that don't resonate with the gameplay. Too much of a film-school mentality of just putting on a good show... and not using that for substance of gameplay.

Treblaine:

Tallim:

Treblaine:

By all means, Bioshock was not a bad game, but looking back I can't see it as a great game... which wouldn't be a problem except it promised greatness. It had such a brilliant design and ideas... but I think the execution was fatally flawed.

I mean Big Daddy, brilliant design, brilliant concept... ruined by the approach. I mean the developers went on the record saying it was supposed to be like big-game hunting. But that impression is RUINED by how they are no threat at all till you attack them, you can't run up to an elephant in big game hunting, the point of big game hunting is half the time YOU are being hunted. I mean you can walk right up to a Big Daddy and point a shotgun in their face and they won't even shrug, lay traps all around them and they'll totally ignore you. The player should be terrified of such treading behemoths... but the gameplay missed the point.

If should have been that the player constantly ran and hid from each Big Daddy.

Splicers, another great idea, they were conceptually more than just reskinned stormtroopers or demons, they were people... Except in execution they incessantly attacked you with almost no sense of self-preservation or reasoning. I mean I expected something more like the wild-west or shifting factions and hostility, where they could be bribed or at least some sort of détente maintained at least some of the time.

That's what I'm worried about with Bioshock Infinite, they will do the same, they will have concepts that don't resonate with the gameplay. Too much of a film-school mentality of just putting on a good show... and not using that for substance of gameplay.

Yeah I can see that. Although I had a lot of fun with Bioshock I felt that pretty much after the first Big Daddy fight you started becoming way to powerful and then the daddies ceased to be that imposing and then the gameplay didn't really match properly with the gravity of the story.

I think there might be a similar problem with Infinite. It will be a great ride but whether it will bring much new to the table I don't know.

Don't preorder games... Problem solved?!

Now, as to why these shitty cashgrab marketing schemes - subscription services, On-disc/Day One DLC, buying unlocks/boosts with real money, data mining etc. etc. are becoming common: Production costs are on the rise. Ever better graphical production values don't come cheap, and investors expect ever better returns to not put their money elsewhere. Better technology alleviate some of this burden, but each AAA game is by now a huge investment. Many a studio will go bust if just one or two titles don't earn anything. But nobody is willing to pay more than $60 for games, which is indeed also a rather hefty price tag to many.

So corners are cut. The writers of many recent games don't seem to have been assigned much of the budget. Parts of the the story are scrapped to later appear as DLC. Bugs seem increasingly common as it's pushed out the door to meet a deadline. While it looks better than ever, other parts begin to suffer.

And since it need to be a guaranteed commercial success - or at least a non-failure - ever more questionable business practises and marketing schemes are put in place, to suck the money that isn't coming in with the fixed $60 admission price from elsewhere in people's pockets. While more risky strategies which are however more fair to the consumer, such as selling digital titles considerably cheaper, or throwing out DRM, isn't put into practise, because you can't afford to fail.

So positive forms of creativity for both product and marketing are stifled, while negative ones flourish. The world is not so kind that it'll allow you to obtain games which look ever better, are being constantly innovated, and never cost more. The price will just be paid in different ways, such as a lack of innovation and shittier business practises designed to leech it gradually.

So, what I'd like to see, was for technical production to take a back seat for a while - certainly they look stellar by now - and let resources be used on other aspects of the product, and to afford the risks of innovation and developing fair business practises that reasonably balances the interest of consumers and industry. Not preordering shit is one step towards giving voice to a wish for such a balance, and should be taken; but not asking the impossible is a more basic one, which should be taken as well.

I don't think the season pass is a bad idea if I know what to expect from it. The only game I've put money down on the season pass for was The Walking Dead and that was when Episode 3 had come out so I'd heard a lot of good things about it before I'd even played the demo. But because Telltale have got my trust, I'd be more willing to do that again with the next Walking Dead season.

Treblaine:
I mean Big Daddy, brilliant design, brilliant concept... ruined by the approach. I mean the developers went on the record saying it was supposed to be like big-game hunting. But that impression is RUINED by how they are no threat at all till you attack them, you can't run up to an elephant in big game hunting, the point of big game hunting is half the time YOU are being hunted.

I don't understand this argument. Elephants aren't very aggressive creatures. They are not hunters. You can walk up to them without being attacked.

It's the same with Big Daddies. They aren't aggressive. They are also very vulnerable. They rely on their antiquated suits to survive. They aren't some kind of über-monster or predator. They are genetic misfits encased in sub-par armour.

Your comments leave me wondering if you understand the premise of the game.

The biggest problem will be the kiddies having mommy and daddy, who don't know any better, still giving the money for pre-orders

I pre-ordered like, 1 game since 89, and haven't regretted going without ever since. The piddly DLC they use as a carrot can be found elsewhere.

I am just wondering, if you are already so annoyed about preordering,..
What do you think about funding games and even techdemos through Kickstarter (Crowdfunding)?
Which is something even Peter Molyneux resorted to for Project GODUS
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/22cans/project-godus

Aardvaarkman:

Treblaine:
I mean Big Daddy, brilliant design, brilliant concept... ruined by the approach. I mean the developers went on the record saying it was supposed to be like big-game hunting. But that impression is RUINED by how they are no threat at all till you attack them, you can't run up to an elephant in big game hunting, the point of big game hunting is half the time YOU are being hunted.

I don't understand this argument. Elephants aren't very aggressive creatures. They are not hunters. You can walk up to them without being attacked.

It's the same with Big Daddies. They aren't aggressive. They are also very vulnerable. They rely on their antiquated suits to survive. They aren't some kind of über-monster or predator. They are genetic misfits encased in sub-par armour.

Don't pick apart the semantics of big-game hunting, it certainly doesn't leave the impression of easy kills. FYI, elephants that are hunted do NOT allow people to get close to them and worse than that, when started they will kill who startled them. It's only the ones in protected parks that are so fine with humans even then viewing from a distance.

In WWII in the Normandy Campaign there were specialist Bazooka crews sent out to take out tanks in the dense hedgerow, they were told to approach it like Big game hunting. Now that is not the point where you pedantically point out that elephant aren't trying to kill you like enemy tanks, nor make implausible statements like big game hunting is as easy and trivial as walking up to them and casually shooting them behind the ear.

It's the same with Big Daddies. They aren't aggressive.

It's worse than that, they are almost completely passive. The Cops in GTA were more of a threat, if you bumped into their car or did anything other than avoid them you'd get a 1 star rating and they'd be gunning after you. But you can body slam into a Big Daddy with your gun drawn and he may act miffed but he won't initiate any attack till you attack them first. I suppose maybe if you ran into them 20 to thirty times they might attack you.

They aren't some kind of über-monster or predator. They are genetic misfits encased in sub-par armour.

Well that's lame. You don't feel like a clever hunter stalking prey, you feel like a bully setting up pranks on a mentally disabled person who can't recognise the obvious threat in front of them.

Big Daddy from a design point of view are supposed to be intimidating, not pitied misfits, but because they make the AI so damn docile they are simply moving furniture.

They compare far worse than other big bosses of video games like Nemesis from Resident Evil 3, he'd stalk you throughout the game and at any time he might enter your area and will attack you on sight. Not in designate boss fight areas but areas you thought you had cleared.

Having Big Daddies being far more dangerous, like roving panzer tanks, does not contradict their role in the lore especially after they are repeatedly attacked by splicers and it is their benefit to have dead splicers for the Little Sisters to harvest, they would attack on sight and everyone should run scared from them... as the splicers actually DO, but only the very first encounters. You see it in the first time you meet a Big Daddy, Splicers hear one coming and run away, you are only ignored as you are totally immobilised.

Later it's completely different, splicers and big daddies wander around with each other totally ambivalent to each other.

I mean it should have been if you were spotted by one when you weren't ready you'd have no choice but to run, or play dead. Escape would be based on how they were slower and larger, you could get through holes and hide in places they couldn't get.

I think you are working backwards from "the developers did everything right" rather than think how elements don't work together.

Are preorders really that bad? My Gamestop lets me take the money I put to a preorder and put it on a gift card, and I don't normally put more than five bucks down anyways unless I'm absolutely certain to love the game (Monster Hunter, Etrian Odyssey). The whole shit with getting junk for preordering is weird, but generally doesn't trouble me, although I think it's hilarious that folks will spend 200 dollars on a game to get stuff like a statue and an art book. However, I'm also saying this as a person who specifically bought a Raidou Kuzunoha game to get the Raiho Kuzunoha Jack Frost plushie and was designing a home-made plushie version of Majin from Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom.

I do really dislike the hustle that Jim talks about, though. Misleading "gameplay" demonstrations, DLC season pass hustles, preorder only exclusives: all that shit is awful. But the act of preordering itself hasn't ever given me any trouble.

Vault101:

Saviordd1:
Yeah well its my 60 dollars that I wasted on a bad game.

bad game? I don't-

you know what? I'm not gonna go there

good day

Writing has a lot of plot holes

Beginning is bad

Plot is meh

Main gameplay system destroyed

Forced characterization

Broken character arcs

Destroyed Cerberus

All around laziness

I dont know if putting a deposit down on a game with Gamestop is strictly pre-ordering to the same detrimetal effect on the industry that Jim is describing, but i have been known to do it.

Mainly it was to guarantee a collectors edition of a game i really like such as FO3, FO:NV, The Gears games etc for myself.

And that is pretty much my only incentive for a deposit/pre-order. Guarantee a collectors edition for myself. I don't see the point otherwise, you can get the standard editions forever.

What will kill pre-ordering or deposits for me is if the collector editions start becoming crap. The ME3 collectors edition was pretty poor in my opinion. No mannual, small uninspiring box, DLC which should have been part of the game in the first place being highlighted as collectors only edition blah blah blah.

A:CM only had what? extra weapons that i probably wont ever use anyway? no thanks.

Something nice like the Fallout new vegas collectors edition with documentary dvd, graphic novel, recreation of the casino chips in a nice little case.... Hell Yeah! ill put a deposit on that!

Gears of war 2 and 3 which had personal effects from the main characters included in the collectors edition, Hell yeah! Opening the COG flag to see Felix's personal effects wrapped inside had a brilliant immersion effect on me, felt like he packed it himself and i was looking into the mans inner soul.

Stuff like that... yes. I will deposit and continue to deposit.

Extra weapon and weapon skin with your pre-order crap though... no thanks.

P.S.
I feel for you Jim, we all know how much you love the Aliens franchise

irishda:
snip

You are on the ball with a lot of what you are saying, but the movie trailer anaolgy isn't really fair.

You watch a movie trailer, you know all that footage is going to be in the movie. The A:CM trailer showed a lot of stuff that wasn't in the game. Thats where the main fault is.

I'm just gonna throw out a pro-tip that probably half of you don't need to hear:
If this game being garbage, or any other failed promise in the industry, bothers you... Then remember that.
Remember not to trust media or the people who make it. At all.
You don't buy an orange hidden under the counter, you get to pick it up, check its color, and see if it has an appropriate firmness.
The media industries are the only ones that demand cash for something you know nothing about other than the things they tell you -- they, the ones who need to profit off of it.

I read in one of the news posts of Randy Pitchfords reply to Jim. Honestly, given the reactions I've seen from just about everyone who was a fan of the Aliens franchise, Jim was pretty justified putting up this episode. The best opinions I've seen of the game have been people claiming the game is so bad it is good thanks to the silliness of the AI, which is bringing back some rather interesting Childhood memories of Privateer 2 the Darkening.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here