The Big Picture: Enough With The Batman Already!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

One can never have enough Batman.

Though I would like to see Batgirl show up at some point...

I still can't believe we don't have a Wonder Woman movie.
We have had NINE theatrically released Batman movies. NINE. We've had SIX Superman movies. We've had a terrible Green Lantern flick. Constantine managed it. DC even gave us Jonah Hex. We got Swamp Thing. We've had a friggin' STEEL movie. I'm going to pretend that awful Catwoman film never happened though...

Even looking at Marvel, they have gambled on nearly everything. We have live-action Iron Man. Spider-man. Wolverine. X-men galore. Ghost Rider. Fantastic Four. Daredevil. Elektra. Thor. Captain America. The Hulk. The Black Widow. Hawkeye. Nick Fury. Howard the Duck. Blade. The Punisher. Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man are on the horizon.

People say DC's heroes suck, but they don't. DC just wastes them. Where is our Flash movie? Blue Beetle? Lobo? Booster Gold? Green Arrow? Hawkman? Aquaman? Martian Manhunter? Cyborg? Teen Titans? Black Canary? Atom? Suicide Squad? Huntress? Zatanna? Animal Man? Dr. Fate? Captain Marvel/Shazam?

I don't understand the logic here. Yes, I'm kind of getting tired of Batman. You know what I'm getting even more tired of> Constant Marvel films, every year.

I mean, Marvel are currently outdoing Activision when it comes to franchise milking. Activision at least only puts out one COD title a year. Marvel, on the other hand, are currently flooding the market with yet more Avengers spin offs. We've got sequels to Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America all the on the way, as well asadaptions of Ant Man, Guardians Of The Galaxy, and of course the inevitable Avengers sequel. And that's just Avengers tie-on stuff. Then there's all the non-related X-men, Spiderman and Fantastic Four films coming out from Fox and Sony.

Right now, I'm just sick of Marvel heroes. The whole shebang. At least with Nolan's Batman, you had films which elevated the genre somewhat, and brought a new level of artistic merit to comic-book movies. Marvel's films are just regular popcorn superhero flicks, pure 3 star material, and there's no reason to keep flooding the market other than for more money.

ThrobbingEgo:
Quick question: Do you know who Batman is? Due to writers compensating for putting the guy in a batsuit on a team with demigods, Batman has become the most feared and ruthless hero of DC's entire roster. His power is being the goddamn Batman.

That is kind of the point of Batman: He's the bad guy. He's the guy with one rule (that has remarkable flexibility) and everything else is fair game. While the rest of them have honor, loyalty, codes of conduct and all those things holding their titan-like powers back, his guile is his power, and is restrained only by that one rule. It doesn't just make him a dangerous human, it give him the ability to go toe-to-toe with every other member of the JLA.

Bob's right. Enough with the Batman. Because he's the hero we deserve. But not the one we need right now.

And as for Joker, I nominate Alan Tudyk. After his turn in Dollhouse, I'd love to see what the hell he'd do with the Clown Prince of Crime.

Batman prints money bitch! That is why.

teamcharlie:
Here's one immediate, easy way to make Batman new again: Adam West him the fuck up. Make him an archaic, ridiculous symbol of oldschool machismo, bring back the sexy 60s-looking ladies to fawn over and/or catwoman him, give him one of his sillier opponents to fight as a B-plot with waves of implausible goons and make everything as goofy as possible. That sounds like several gallons of fun in my book. Hell, I'll just bet that Jon Hamm would jump at the chance to be Bruce Wayne for pennies on the dollar.

Isn't that sort of what the Batman: The Brave and The Bold animated series basically went for? And didn't it feature almost the entire DC comics roster as guest stars by the end? And isn't the original target demographic for that show rapidly approaching their adolescence? This might be the right time for Batman to get just a little campy again.

Actually Btaman is the fantasy of being the brooding dark anti-hero-ish guy who is better then everyone else because he's smarter. Lots of people like to pretend that they are dark and tragic and super smart. Not many people are. Interestingly enough I like my Batman a bit less dark because it gets really stupid really fast when they try to be super dark.

Macgyvercas:

This post gave me an awesome idea:

BATGIRL TV SHOW.

Think about it: we know Barbara, in her early days, largely acted independantly from the Dynamic Duo, even stealing case files from her dad to do her own, low-level investigations. You could seriously do a live-action Batgirl show centered around this premise, with her fighting minor or poorly-known Bat villains: Killer Moth, Calendar Man, Black Spider, Anarky, Gearhead, Humpty Dumpty...

A heavy focus on Barbara's personal and school life, a la Spiderman, as well as her relationship with her family, a la Blue Beetle, and you have the makings of a great show! Not to mention more exposure for my favorite comic character, Babs...

MovieBob:
Enough With The Batman Already!

Maybe we could use a break from Batman.

Watch Video

It makes me smile that this is what you spend your time worrying about :)

OK, just keep the Nolan canon and do the Batman INC angle. Make one of those Batmen the new Batman. Some completely different guy. They had the Batmen vigilantes in the Nolan movies. JUST GO WITH IT.

first thing i thought when i read the title
NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and now to watch the video...

Meanwhile Young Justice one of the better DC cartoons has been canceled in lieu of a new Batman one.

You guy's aren't gonna top Brave and the Bold, don't even try.

bigfatcarp93:

Macgyvercas:

This post gave me an awesome idea:

BATGIRL TV SHOW.

Think about it: we know Barbara, in her early days, largely acted independantly from the Dynamic Duo, even stealing case files from her dad to do her own, low-level investigations. You could seriously do a live-action Batgirl show centered around this premise, with her fighting minor or poorly-known Bat villains: Killer Moth, Calendar Man, Black Spider, Anarky, Gearhead, Humpty Dumpty...

A heavy focus on Barbara's personal and school life, a la Spiderman, as well as her relationship with her family, a la Blue Beetle, and you have the makings of a great show! Not to mention more exposure for my favorite comic character, Babs...

...Yeah. I'd watch that.

"Everybody already likes Batman"

I actually don't like Batman. I think Batman is boring - except for Batman Beyond, Batman.

Marvel got there first and did it well organised and planned. They introduced the "less" known members of the Avengers and gave them a back story in movies (thus the universe is self contained within movies alone). They also made sure movies were successful by pumping in enough talent and money in Ironman (which kind of started the sequence) and Avengers (the one that had to be good).
Also there's the thing about what threat needs to be faced with a whole team of superheroes joined - either aliens or magic or both or every major bad guy from each of hero's background story joining forces...there really is no other way. And Marvel got there first as well (I'm talking about the regular movie goer, not the fans and those who actually follow comics) by putting it all in - now anything made after it is just going to be a copy of the Avengers.

On the other side there's what DC/Warner did "wrong" - Green lantern wasn't good, I'm guessing the production got f-ed up along the way and the whole thing was a mess. Lantern should have been the first JLA movie. Not Superman, not Batman, GL (Jordan or Stewart not important). Superman is just too big to spark interest in other things.
Wonder woman is in JLA what Thor is to Avengers, she brings so many silly things in, that her movie enemy should probably be the one that starts stuff in the JLA movie. Either that or Lex Luthor/Brainiac thing that's some times thrown around.

Problem with Batman, there are a few:
- right now, to the average movie goer, Batman is over, trilogy is done and Batman is retired and his knee is f-ed up and he found happiness and redemption (and love)
- Nolan's Batman is too realistic. Even Bob mentioned (I think) how the world in Avenger movies actually changed to magic after they find Thor's hammer. That can't happen with Nolan's version around. Also Batman needs to be more in the movie, Bruce is Batman's alter ego, not the other way around
- they need a new Batman - who is more of a detective, more of an "intellectual" (more than in any of the Bat movies so far), when surrounded by gods, Batman must have money and must have foresight (that might be his superpower that is not mentioned)
- Batman was just done, so what would be the reason (a good one) for doing a new one now?

What WB did good/great - the whole JLA cartoon series, they just did (are doing) all the things they wanted. Less budget and cartooning means less risk and less demand for pleasing everybody.

How about a halfway and explore the bat-verse a little more: A Batwoman movie (worth it for the right wing pundantry reaction alone). Series about the early days of Batgirl, or Robin transisitioning into Nightwing or maybe something about Catwoman. Arkham Beyond (Arkham city with Batman Beyond cast). Or, god forbid, tone down the bat and make a show about Bruce Waye (Lois and Clark wasn't a great show, but I admire the idea of a show about the people at the Dailey Planet not overshadowed too much by the guy in tights).

There's actually not a bad idea: Gothem City PD, a show about the Gothem cops and seeing Batman's war on crime from their point of view. Possibly centre around Renee Montoya becoming the Question and slowing getting involved on the vigilante side.

Wait. Someone on the internet is sick of something??? ALERT THE PRESS!

As long as it's done well, who gives a shit? There are very few heroes I don't like, I don't read all their comics, but if I liked them all, I'd be dropping like 200 bucks a month on comics, NOT GONNA HAPPEN

I actually can't see how a JL movie would work anytime soon at all. It just sounds like they saw how successful The Avengers was want to do that.

Man of Steel would have to be VERY successful before it really becomes possible. Even then, is Nolan's gritty, realistic Batman not a little out-of-place with in comparison to everyone else? That's another thing - everyone else. I can't see many people caring who else is there if they didn't get their own movie first. That's what really made The Avengers great - each one of them was big enough of a character to carry a whole film on their own. The films themselves are proof.

At least a few others would need their own films first, or it will just be seen as "That film where Superman and Batman teamed up, and there were other guys there too".

Frybird:
I'm sort of used to everything being milked long after i lost interest.

They should honestly stop with scripting these things and just start being honest. "Superhero Movie No. 21254574: Because We Can't Afford to Lose the IP Rights or Lose Out to Marvel Studios."

I'm looking forward to a video game industry crash, and a superhero movie crash. Maybe once we stop rehashing the same figures over and over, we'll see something new and interesting pop up.

But, it's probably going to be another rehash of Space Jesus anyway. Because we love ourselves a Messiah Complex.

Maybe Batman could do what the Batman does and the entire movie just work from the shadows. Never have two lines of dialogue. Well, maybe bruce wayne have one or two for kicks. Just a dark figure working in the background the whole time. Yeah, it would probably turn out a bit deus ex machina-ish, but he's supposed to be sneaky.

I demand a "The Question + Huntress + Black Canary + Green Arrow"-Movie... you all remembered the best espisode of Justice League (Double Date), yes?

Hell throw in Booster Gold and such. Make it not as grimdark but keep the production value high. Ah dammit... make it a series, can't have that in a short 2-3 hours.

Ok... revamped idea: Make a Question series, but opposed to the Green Arrow one not "gritty and realistic". Would be fun to follow a quasi-hero, a "detective" in a superhuman world with aliens and stuff.

OtherSideofSky:
Outside of the proposed Justice League movie itself, I definitely don't want to see any more Batman for a while.

I'd love another Batman movie tomorrow. Seriously, there are so many interpretations of the character they could do one tomorrow very different from Nolan's vision and we'd still have something fresh.

My hope is we see the Batman and the world of Arkham City brought to the big screen.

I agree with Bob in that, they're going to have to work hard to make Bruce Wayne relevant with alien Jesuses around and not seem silly.

My bet: they can do it. Bring it on!

TwiZtah:
Yes please, I fucking hate Batman.

He might be the biggest villain in the DC universe, because he KNOWS that The Joker etc. will escape from Arkham and kill more people, therefore he is also indirectly responsible for those killings.

Couldn't you extend that complaint to commissioner Gordon and all police who Batman gives custody of the Joker to?

Based on my fleeting memory of the JLA comics of the 90s, I seem to recall Batman showing up late to all the meetings, or having been there the whole time but out of sight and suddenly appearing, startling one of the secondary members of the squad. And then he would sit in the corner brooding and, aside from a brief private interlude with "Clark" would not socialize with anyone at all. And all of the other members would kind of stay away from him cause he creeped them out and wasn't all buddy-buddy like Booster Gold, except every once in a while he would deck Guy Gardner and they would think he's a freaking hero on the strength of that alone.

Seems to me it would be real easy to do a Justice League movie with minimal Batman story; just relegate him to the shadows. Shoot, if you do it right, it could be a CGI Batman with no spoken dialogue and nobody would think anything of it.

Sorry Bob, it'll suck. DC has about as much confidence in it's non-Batman superheroes that Batman shows up in their comics just to tell them how much they suck as a way to boost sales. Half of DC's writers treat him as this omniscient god and the others are convinced Batman can't be Batman without being a psychotic living by a more refined version of the Code of Dexter.

I want more Batman a lot more Batman, and a I want a Batman that is ruthless, that is dark like Nolan`s version, but less attached to "realism", HOWEVER, I want him to show in the Justice League and his solo movies can wait, I do agree it's high time they capitalize on DC, if Superman works (first time EVER I'm hyped about anything Superman ahahah, well other than the New 52 stories, which I love), they can make it a trilogy or something and do introduce Kara somewhere in a decent way (not like the new "Robin-cop"), maybe a new attempt at a Green Lantern movie (how did they get THAT wrong???), and surely a Wonder Woman film, I mean, shit, go all 300 meets Clash of the Titans with her and they'll be fine (anyone ever imagined a WW game that played like God of War? HELL YEAH!), then they can have another swing at the Bats, and maybe go loco with a full trilogy with the joker as the villain, or maybe an adaptation of Court of Owls (I won't say Death of the Family, cause that would imply a shitload of characters to be introduced...)

I was already sick of Batman after The Dark Knight. I loved Heath Ledger's Joker and all the secondary characters, but honestly found Christopher Nolan's Batman to be the least interesting character in the film. Batman should not be the most boring part of Batman.

TheSchaef:
Based on my fleeting memory of the JLA comics of the 90s, I seem to recall Batman showing up late to all the meetings, or having been there the whole time but out of sight and suddenly appearing, startling one of the secondary members of the squad. And then he would sit in the corner brooding and, aside from a brief private interlude with "Clark" would not socialize with anyone at all. And all of the other members would kind of stay away from him cause he creeped them out and wasn't all buddy-buddy like Booster Gold, except every once in a while he would deck Guy Gardner and they would think he's a freaking hero on the strength of that alone.

Seems to me it would be real easy to do a Justice League movie with minimal Batman story; just relegate him to the shadows. Shoot, if you do it right, it could be a CGI Batman with no spoken dialogue and nobody would think anything of it.

You are combining 80s and 90s lore but that about sums it up.

Give Batman an Arkham spin in the JL movie, using Nolan's films is just silly and thematically stupid

-Dragmire-:

TwiZtah:
Yes please, I fucking hate Batman.

He might be the biggest villain in the DC universe, because he KNOWS that The Joker etc. will escape from Arkham and kill more people, therefore he is also indirectly responsible for those killings.

Couldn't you extend that complaint to commissioner Gordon and all police who Batman gives custody of the Joker to?

Batman has so much more power to just kill the fuckers, but nooo, "MY PARENTS DIED :'(". Fucking get in line, 95% of all damn superheroes has lost their parents. Oh, on that note, I'm disgusted by them and their unability to just end the villains.

Agreed. I mean Jesus Christ, what does it take to get a decent Wonder Woman movie? She's going to be the weirdest one to deal with; Batman and Superman are familiar through the many other movies, games and cartoons, but most people know little about Wonder Woman beyond silver age bondage fetishism, invisible aeroplanes and Amazons. Like Thor, she's the weird mythological outlier of the group, and Thor got a god damned movie. Thor.

"Yes, Mistress!". Your best oneliner in a while, made me laugh, thanks!

Wow, the Captcha is "beautiful friendship".

ThrobbingEgo:

Quick question: Do you know who Batman is? Due to writers compensating for putting the guy in a batsuit on a team with demigods, Batman has become the most feared and ruthless hero of DC's entire roster. His power is being the goddamn Batman.

I actually liked how the JLU series handled him in the later episodes.

Gave him more of a tacticians role, coordinating things from the Watchtower with MM.

His mind is really the only thing that has kept him relevant to the JL stories, so taking a role that fits that is the best route to go down really.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here