Omerta: City of Gangsters Review - An Offer You Can Refuse

Omerta: City of Gangsters Review - An Offer You Can Refuse

I'm going to make you an offer you should refuse.

Read Full Article

yes, the screenshots were misleading as hell.
its actually worse or just as bad as the thing aliens: colonial marines did.

and i cant compete with gangsters: organized crime. and that game came out in 1998 and was flawed.

It's a shame, because this looked really good and I was looking forward to it. I forget where I read it, but someone had said it is basically like "Playing Monopoly by yourself.". Reading your review, it seems to be exactly that.

Definitely some strange decisions made on this one.

This always felt like the kind of game you'd see for $5 at Best Buy, which made the hype it got a really weird juxtaposition. I guess my instincts aren't completely off.

I don't know why some people were even excited for this. It always looked like a very shallow game with little to offer.

While the music was great, it got repetitive really quickly. After half an hour I would start to get headaches from listening to the same thing over and over again.

Adam Jensen:
I don't know why some people were even excited for this. It always looked like a very shallow game with little to offer.

thats the thing people were hoping it wasnt, that it had that depth and complexity

I'm vaguely reminded of Gangsters II - which is much, much more better than this. It's old as all Hell now and probably Abandonware, but it's basically an isometric game that combines elements of Commandos and city-management, if memory serves me right. You roll around Chicago in the twenties, doing very much what Omerta sets out to do - and fails.

A shame - I was kind of looking forward to it - and THAT is why you never pre-order stuff before you know if the game is any good (Hi, Jimquisition!)

I played the demo and it was decent although the combat felt incredibly awkward. I still might pick it up at some point way down the line when steam has a special on it.

IamLEAM1983:
I'm vaguely reminded of Gangsters II - which is much, much more better than this. It's old as all Hell now and probably Abandonware, but it's basically an isometric game that combines elements of Commandos and city-management, if memory serves me right. You roll around Chicago in the twenties, doing very much what Omerta sets out to do - and fails.

I loved that game way-back-when (right around 2000-1 right?). I remember buying up tenement blocks and rolling groups of hitmen with tommy guns to do drivebys on rivals' businesses. Good stuff.

If I were this game's publisher I would lift a quote from this review:

"I can't stop playing Omerta" -- Gret Tito, escapistmagazine.com

:)

tautologico:
If I were this game's publisher I would lift a quote from this review:

"I can't stop playing Omerta" -- Gret Tito, escapistmagazine.com

:)

SHHHHHH. Don't give them any ideas.

So, in other words The Godfather is still the best mafia game out there.

This reminds me of the old "Gangsters: organized crime" games, which I loved, only not as good // In fact I might just try and install them and relive the 1920s as they where meant to be

-M

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here