Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance Review - Outside the Box

Pre-ordered it, picked it up, loving it... just not as much as DMC 3 or Bayonetta. Raiden just isn't as fun a character as Bayonetta or Dante, and I haven't found an enemy as cool as Vergil or Jeanne. Still, very fun game.

This game is pretty epic, I really love it. I'm glad to see it turned out so well, given it's developmental cycle. It sort of feels a bit like a missed opportunity, what with little information on what's happening in the post-MGS4 world, but it's works due to it being a spin-off.

My only complain is that the game is short, but that was expected. Hopefully Platinum will be able to make more Rising titles in the future!

Keeping "witch time" around? Good idea. I was already "ehh" on the fence about this, willing to get it for that Platinum goodness. If it's less Bayonetta than Bayonetta than it's not for me. Shame.

Nice but you guys are going to review Crysis 3 right? I've already seen 2 Best friends best of play through of Revengence, but I can't find anything on Crysis.

DVS BSTrD:
Nice but you guys are going to review Crysis 3 right? I've already seen 2 Best friends best of play through, but I can't find anything on Crysis.

Not to derail the thread, but I'm playing Crysis 3 now. My PC copy didn't unlock until launch day yesterday so I'm playing catch up. THANKS ORIGIN!

Greg

Greg Tito:

DVS BSTrD:
Nice but you guys are going to review Crysis 3 right? I've already seen 2 Best friends best of play through, but I can't find anything on Crysis.

Not to derail the thread, but I'm playing Crysis 3 now. My PC copy didn't unlock until launch day yesterday so I'm playing catch up. THANKS ORIGIN!

Greg

The promo trailers I've seen on cable were so grandiose I was wondering if they were trying to pull an RE6.

Apart from the canon does it share much of the same type of goodness as the Metal Gears? Is the story good and are there a crazy variety of thing you can do for bossfights?

How is the plot? You mention fan service, but is it in the same category as MGS4, where you needed to have 10 tabs of the wiki open during every cutscene to try and piece together what the hell was going on?

BrotherRool:
Apart from the canon does it share much of the same type of goodness as the Metal Gears? Is the story good and are there a crazy variety of thing you can do for bossfights?

Well, for stealth runners i believe the best combination of items to use was a mariachi costume and the cardboard box.

I find it hard to make a call on the story comparison, as Metal Gear Solid games are traditionally stuffed to the gills with cutscenes and exposition, and MGRising is stuffed with the same type of OTT stuff you saw in Bayonetta.

As for boss fights, my copy wont even arrive until Friday, becuase Europe, and ive only seen the mostly-cutscenes MG-Ray fight (which hasnt changed much since the game was announced, by the way) and the Bladewolf fight in the demo, so i cant call on thier variety.

gigastar:

BrotherRool:

Well, for stealth runners i believe the best combination of items to use was a mariachi costume and the cardboard box.

I find it hard to make a call on the story comparison, as Metal Gear Solid games are traditionally stuffed to the gills with cutscenes and exposition, and MGRising is stuffed with the same type of OTT stuff you saw in Bayonetta.

As for boss fights, my copy wont even arrive until Friday, becuase Europe, and ive only seen the mostly-cutscenes MG-Ray fight (which hasnt changed much since the game was announced, by the way) and the Bladewolf fight in the demo, so i cant call on thier variety.

But is it good? Because as absurd and completely unnecessary and over-expository the MGS' were, somehow they still packed a lot of emotional weight. There's a lot of people willing to talk about just how much the last bit with the Boss in MGs3 affected them and there was a lot of narrative and symbolic beauty in that last fight with Liquid Ocelot in 4

BrotherRool:

gigastar:

BrotherRool:

But is it good? Because as absurd and completely unnecessary and over-expository the MGS' were, somehow they still packed a lot of emotional weight. There's a lot of people willing to talk about just how much the last bit with the Boss in MGs3 affected them and there was a lot of narrative and symbolic beauty in that last fight with Liquid Ocelot in 4

Well then for that you should be looking for freelance reviews.

Heres one done by a fan of both Metal Gear and Platinum Games.

Thunderous Cacophony:
How is the plot? You mention fan service, but is it in the same category as MGS4, where you needed to have 10 tabs of the wiki open during every cutscene to try and piece together what the hell was going on?

From what I've read, only one other character that's been previously establsihed shows up in the whole game.

While it does make some connections, it's mostly its own thing.

It should be relatively easy to understand.

Sheo_Dagana:
This game is pretty epic, I really love it. I'm glad to see it turned out so well, given it's developmental cycle. It sort of feels a bit like a missed opportunity, what with little information on what's happening in the post-MGS4 world, but it's works due to it being a spin-off.

My only complain is that the game is short, but that was expected. Hopefully Platinum will be able to make more Rising titles in the future!

How short is it? I don't want t drop 70 bucks on a 6 hour game.

Artemis923:

Sheo_Dagana:

A single playthrough averages 7-9 hours depending on how good you are and what difficulty you're on, but the game has the New Game+ and VR Missions for additional playability. I'd say it's a good 25-30 hour game. Not on the same level as Bayonetta, but still good.

Artemis923:

Sheo_Dagana:

If you're going to play it once on easy mode and never touch the game again and never do any of the other content, it's about 5-6hrs. But, like most Platinum made games, it's built for multiple playthroughs for unlockables, different modes, and so on.

Sylveria:

Artemis923:

Sheo_Dagana:

If you're going to play it once on easy mode and never touch the game again and never do any of the other content, it's about 5-6hrs. But, like most Platinum made games, it's built for multiple playthroughs for unlockables, different modes, and so on.

C'mon bro, don't insult me. I play games on the hardest difficulty from the start.

But awesome, sounds like it's worth the investment.

I still refuse to buy the game because of that incredibly idiotic word that hey call a subtitle.

saintdane05:
I still refuse to buy the game because of that incredibly idiotic word that hey call a subtitle.

I know right? I've never heard of this game until just now and I'm dumbfounded that there's an actual game with "Revengeance" in the title. /facedesk

My complaint is that the slice mode thing doesnt activate instantly, and its kinda oldschool, slice something it disappears the environments are very static, level design seems very "flat". I just found it clunky and a bit underwhelming.

Artemis923:

Sylveria:

Artemis923:

C'mon bro, don't insult me. I play games on the hardest difficulty from the start.

I would strongly advise against that. I just beat the game a few hours ago, and I gotta say...that final boss was...wow. There are not words for that fight. Just the sheer insanity of it all. Literally could not stop laughing right up until the legit battle where I promptly got my ass kicked.

But if you really feel like ruining your life, put the Konami code in at the title screen to unlock Revengance difficulty.

Kopikatsu:

Artemis923:

Sylveria:

I would strongly advised against that. I just beat the game a few hours ago, and I gotta say...that final boss was...wow. There are not words for that fight. Just the sheer insanity of it all. Literally could not stop laughing right up until the legit battle where I promptly got my ass kicked.

But if you really feel like ruining your life, put the Konami code in at the title screen to unlock Revengance difficulty.

That sounds like a challenge to me. I'll have to check the damn thing out for sure now.

Artemis923:

Kopikatsu:

Artemis923:

I would strongly advised against that. I just beat the game a few hours ago, and I gotta say...that final boss was...wow. There are not words for that fight. Just the sheer insanity of it all. Literally could not stop laughing right up until the legit battle where I promptly got my ass kicked.

That sounds like a challenge to me. I'll have to check the damn thing out for sure now.

Your funeral. I beat the game on Very Hard, and I still can't even survive the VERY FIRST encounter on Revengeance. But as Very Hard likes to throw bosses and mini-bosses at you in the middle of normal encounters...I can't imagine that Revengeance difficulty is even survivable. And there's an achievement for S-ranking Revengeance difficulty, which means you basically never get hit. Ever. Which is good, because everything basically one shots you anyway. But being killed adds time to your counter, which also prevents you from getting S-rank. So you have to get through the entire game on one life and one HP, basically. It's like DMC but horrific.

Had a chance to play it yesterday.

Really fun game, soundtrack is great, really over the top action scenes, and seems selfaware about how ridiculous it is :D

Have been playing the game this weekend. After about 9 hours i just beat Sundowner (I started on hard). At the very least there are 2 more bosses yet to defeat. If there is one thing to criticize it's that the tutorials could be more fleshed out. I had to discover Lock-on on my own during the Bladewolf fight and i only found out that i couldn't parry while moving or running a bit after Mistral.

A block can trigger the "Zandatsu", an over the top sequence that slows down time and gives you the opportunity slice up your target into hundreds of pieces. It is the closest any game has come to being a playable action anime. There is substance to all this style and practical motivation to pull off spectacularly gruesome kills. Ripping out a victim's synthetic spine yields health regeneration for Raiden, which creates an addictive risk/reward loop throughout the entire game.

You trigger Blademode yourself, a parry sometimes gives you a better opportunity for it though. "Zandatsu" is actually the act of pulling out the spine.

the boss fight music is damn excellent in this game, although...this is subjective. Not as good as my favourite hack n slash dmc3, but a damn fine game nonetheless

This game has the most fun gameplay I've ever come across, I think I liked it even more than Bayonetta's. It's refreshing to play a spectacle fighter where you're standing your ground instead of jumping all over the place. And the slicing mechanic is just genius.
I just wished Platinum would have been granted more development time, Revengeance could have easily been twice as long.

lapan:
If there is one thing to criticize it's that the tutorials could be more fleshed out. I had to discover Lock-on on my own during the Bladewolf fight and i only found out that i couldn't parry while moving or running a bit after Mistral.

I had that problem, too. I've been wondering why Blade Wolf was destroying me so hard and then at some point realised that you have to push the stick and the parry button at the same time instead of holding the stick down. I felt a bit silly afterwards.

Smertnik:

I had that problem, too. I've been wondering why Blade Wolf was destroying me so hard and then at some point realised that you have to push the stick and the parry button at the same time instead of holding the stick down. I felt a bit silly afterwards.

Overall Bladewolf took me over 1 hour during my first attempt with all deaths included. I retried his level later and it made a giant difference.

Without parry:

With parry:

Guy Jackson:

saintdane05:

I know right? I've never heard of this game until just now and I'm dumbfounded that there's an actual game with "Revengeance" in the title. /facedesk

Yahtzee's going to have a field day with this one.

Guys, stop praising this game in front of me, please. If I get convinced to buy yet another awesome game, I'll never escape my bedroom again.

I've been enjoying it so far, its definitely not Bayonetta but for a spin-off series from another developer's franchise I think it turned out quite good.

I think Kojima made a good choice in handing this to Platinum - if there's any studio out there that's good at making unique mechanics work well its Platinum (see also Vanquish for a cover-based shooter whose core mechanics are based around being extremely mobile).

So while it may not be game of the year or anything, its definitely worth a purchase if you're in the mood for a solid action game.

Glad to hear this game's a ton o' fun. I'm sick of the "Raiden's a wuss" meme because it ignores the character arc from MGS2, where he became much more angry and defiant by the last boss fight against Solidus Snake.

If I were to gush all my love over this game I'd have to do a review. So I shall leave it at the boss fights.

The boss fights, are amazing, it might possibly be the best boss fights I have seen in modern gaming. The music, the sounds, the environments, boss design, all of it add into this big pile of such magnificent awesome that I can't even use words to describe it!

Now I really want the game.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here