Square-Enix Presses Reset with Final Fantasy XIV

Pages PREV 1 2

MattAn24:

digital warrior:
Rare misstep? RARE? All the bravest, ff13 just all of it (yes i am aware some people liked it but when half your fanbase starts rejecting yes I qualify it as a misstep) the lazy ports, no its not rare anymore just par the course unfortunately.

Half the fanbase? I'd like to know where you happened to pull that "fact" from. It was probably your arse. Considering reviews for FFXIII were *actually rather positive* and there just happened to be a *very* vocal minority who shat bricks for some reason. Majority of people completely ignored the horridness of the internet and give a hearty (but silent) "Fuck off." ;)

Its not a minority, and that number comes from sales figures ff13-2, sold only half the copy's of the original and the fan-base is very divided on this. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.335521-Final-Fantasy-XIII-2-Debuts-to-Lackluster-Sales

Look your free to like it I'm not saying anything against you for liking it but you got to admit the game had problems and their are allot of people concerned for the future of this series.

EmperorSubcutaneous:

klaynexas3:
Is it just me, or is the idea of a dragon as the main bad guy getting a little too cliche? Hell, even seeing grotesque monstrous beings feels a little old. I know there's a lot you can do to make a monster a monster, but why not try another approach? Why not make a monster that is beautiful to look upon. And I'm not talking about making it some sexy chick that has a few horns/hooves here or there, or has red skin, or some crap like that, I mean a genuinely beautiful monster that is pleasing to look upon for more than just sexual value. Something that truly inspires awe, and doesn't just make you want to kill it by its looks alone. I'd love to see a monster like that, not just another generic dragon. Anyway, the game looks...eh? I don't know, I love MMOs, but I can't help but feel I won't find anything truly ground breaking here, and unless its more immersive than falling into a whirlpool leading to the bottom of the Mariana Trench, I can't seem myself really getting into it. Only WoW has ever truly pulled me in, even when other games offer better gameplay mechanics and other features, they all seem to pale in comparison when it came to immersion. While WoW hasn't been able to pull me in like that for a while, no other MMO seems capable of scratching that ever growing itch. But I digress. Hopefully it will be something cool, who knows.

I doubt a dragon will be the main bad guy here, knowing SE and FF MMOs like I do. They're probably going to continue with the evil magitek empire theme. Dragons are just scary but semi-generic things to be tackled by endgame groups in FF MMOs, while the Big Bad is usually something with more of a religious and/or technological theme.

I agree with you that I'd love to see more beautiful monsters. It happens sometimes, but not often enough. The unicorns in FFXI were very disappointing. (I did find some of the endgame monsters to be truly awe-inspiring, though.) But then I hate myself for killing them.

FFXI was the peak of immersion for me. I know it has a lot to do with it being my first MMO, but it also has something to do with the slow build of scenery as you progress, from realistic at the beginning, to increasingly full of fantastic elements, to completely bizarre and otherworldly at the end. Also, as I've been discovering, being able to relax and turn your brain off as you settle into a routine skill cycle is an important component of immersion. As fun as fast-paced, action-filled combat is, it's not relaxing.

Though I have been becoming increasingly suspicious of "immersion" and beginning to view it as something like a drug, but that's another topic.

Okay, those looked pretty cool.

Just out of curiosity, is exploration something actually big in Final Fantasy XI? That's one thing which can help pull me in; exploring is something which I love to do, as much in game as in real life. I'm always looking for a good game to play, and if XI was pretty good, I might just give it a shot. Or I might wait and see if XIV will be any good once redone, and try it on the PS3. I want to find a good console MMO, as I don't see many of those, or at least good ones, so it'd be pretty cool to find a good one that I can both relax to and get pumped and fight some destroyer of worlds.

digital warrior:

Its not a minority, and that number comes from sales figures ff13-2, sold only half the copy's of the original and the fan-base is very divided on this. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.335521-Final-Fantasy-XIII-2-Debuts-to-Lackluster-Sales

There was a bigger drop in sales between FFX and FFX-2 (approx 2.8 million) than between FFXIII and FFXIII-2 (approx 2.7 million). Does this mean that FFX was very much disliked as well? Or does it it speak to the quality of the follow up game? Or is it simply natural drop off?

Using the performance of the sequel is not a reliable measure whatsoever in determining how well received the first game had been. All we really have to work with is the response from critics and sales of the game itself (not the sequel or predecessor - and games that break 1 million sales are generally healthy):
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/final-fantasy-xiii

73 positive
9 mixed
1 negative (Jim Sterling)

MattAn24 is correct. The game got generally favourable reviews.

And just for sake of argument:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/final-fantasy-xiii-2

48 favourable
5 mixed
0 negative

Feel free to like or dislike the game. But when you make up stats in order to make your argument sound correct, expect to be called out on it, like MattAn24 did.

klaynexas3:
Okay, those looked pretty cool.

Just out of curiosity, is exploration something actually big in Final Fantasy XI? That's one thing which can help pull me in; exploring is something which I love to do, as much in game as in real life. I'm always looking for a good game to play, and if XI was pretty good, I might just give it a shot. Or I might wait and see if XIV will be any good once redone, and try it on the PS3. I want to find a good console MMO, as I don't see many of those, or at least good ones, so it'd be pretty cool to find a good one that I can both relax to and get pumped and fight some destroyer of worlds.

Well, I'd say exploration is a big part of the game, provided you can survive. It's something I enjoyed doing in that game, especially when I was underleveled and in danger of being one-shotted at every turn. I'm kind of insane like that. Also running off to some waterfall in a hidden corner of the map and just hanging out.

However, I don't know if I can recommend FFXI, as much as I loved it. It's still very much an EQ-era MMO, despite the fact that they've made it possible to level up pretty quickly now. The game was designed around grindy, party-based leveling, and it's really showing its age that way. The controls and GUI are different than in most MMOs (number pad + arrow keys for movement, menus and macros rather than hotbars, no remapping or changing the UI in any way, and that's just the beginning), and it's more or less impossible to do anything solo. It would be really hard for someone who's already played post-WoW MMOs to be able to get into it, I think.

There is a 14 day free trial if you're interested, though.

This looks fairly interesting even if some of the gameplay seems pretty cliche. I would gladly pick it up and give it a try but that subscription fee is definitely a big turnoff. Sure, the microtransaction model can be annoying and feel unbalanced but at least microtransactions are optional. The cost of a subscription fee just accumulates too quickly especially if you aren't making enough money to justify the cost. If they lower the subscription fee and offer a trial like WoW (none of this "buy the game and play free for a month" bullshit) then I will definitely be enticed. Until then, I'm going to pass and play some of the better Free-to-Play MMOs out there.

Rare misstep? Oh please. Everything from FFVII onwards has been ok at best and awful at worst, apart from FFIX, FFXII and Dissidia 012. Instead of trying to fix their latest turkey, they should be focusing on making a good single-player story. That's what FF was best at before FFVIII rolled around and nearly ruined the series. Besides, it doesn't matter if they make it the best game ever, no-one but the die-hard FF fans are gonna play it because it was so broken the first time around.

zaheela:
..... You do realize that was kinda my point. I was stating that while they may appear the same, it's an different setting/game.... I think your attempt to provoke a mob ended up with you forcing a zone dash before it uses it's gobbie bomb special attack.

Ah, crap! Sorry, I didn't mean to direct the quote at you! It was directed at Siege_TF. D:

Hnnnnnng... I've really been craving that ol' final fantasy feel for a while now. And in mmo form to boot? Yes please!

But even than that subscription is kinda hard to justify to myself, especially with guild wars 2 right there on my taskbar.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here