Trailers: Deep Down - Trailer

Deep Down - Trailer

If this is what the PS4 is capable of, count me in.

Watch Video

It's as if Skyrim and Lord of the Rings had a Baby, and the Baby was scary looking... This game is that Baby!

If they can make it look less Uncanny Valley, I might want it, but until then, it's 2spooky...

It looks okay, but it looks extremely pre-rendered despite the attempts to make it look like gameplay footage with the weapon selector in the lower left. If that is gameplay footage it's going to have the absolute worse camera angles and control ever. ;)

That said, while it's my kind of game, I'm getting a little peeved with the low fantasy vibe dripping off of everything nowadays. It seems to me that every sword and sorcery game tries to be realistic by having everyone look dirty, mauled, and horribly malformed. Coming up with anyone who looks cinematically handsome in your average RPG nowadays tends to be kind of rough.... and while I get why you had some early attempts to get away from that, I think they have gone too far. I think we need some more middle ground you know, having all the really ugly and beautiful people, and a bunch that are somewhere in between. Of course this is just going by this trailer, where we haven't seen much yet, but it smacks me of "Realistic low fantasy, as interpeted by dumping toxic waste on a Renfaire..."

I don't get the complaints about the Uncanny Valley. Really, I don't, and I never did, as far as videogames are concerned. Maybe it's because I don't expect videogames to actually look real in terms of facial animations, not for any time soon, and that lets me just enjoy the craftsmanship and detail that goes into it despite not being perfect.

As far as this is concerned, it looks cool, even though the social part was just ultra hokey. Let's see how much of that makes it to the actual game.

Yea, cinematic cutscene made to look like it was gameplay. At least they havn't claimed it is gameplay footage. I'm looking at you killzone 2. =P

I'm hoping it has more survival dungeon crawling elements than being like dragons dogma 2 or something. But this is capcom afterall...

Team Hollywood:

Pfft, yeh right. Show me where it says "actual game footage".

Therumancer:
It looks okay, but it looks extremely pre-rendered despite the attempts to make it look like gameplay footage with the weapon selector in the lower left. If that is gameplay footage it's going to have the absolute worse camera angles and control ever. ;)

That said, while it's my kind of game, I'm getting a little peeved with the low fantasy vibe dripping off of everything nowadays. It seems to me that every sword and sorcery game tries to be realistic by having everyone look dirty, mauled, and horribly malformed. Coming up with anyone who looks cinematically handsome in your average RPG nowadays tends to be kind of rough.... and while I get why you had some early attempts to get away from that, I think they have gone too far. I think we need some more middle ground you know, having all the really ugly and beautiful people, and a bunch that are somewhere in between. Of course this is just going by this trailer, where we haven't seen much yet, but it smacks me of "Realistic low fantasy, as interpeted by dumping toxic waste on a Renfaire..."

I get where your coming from, they should at least make the characters look like they splash some water in their face every now and then. :)
Thing is though, I think the main guy we see here looks very reasonable, and the really ugly dude is supposed to be ugly since he strikes me as a bad guy.

cheesy? this IS capcom.

OT: yeah, the footage looks like a pre-rendered cinematic with some HUD elements thrown in, but I like to make myself think for just ONE moment that it's not...

and my jaw just drops.

So the ps4 is capable of good looking cut scenes
Yay for them

So you can equip a shield out of nowhere? We really needed a new consol generation for that ~_~

Why would you think this was a PS4 exclusive? It'd be silly for Capcom to do that with a game that could easily also run on a mid to high-range PC or (presumably) an X720.

And more to the point they didn't say that, which they certainly would have if it were the case.

Sorry but puting a "weapon select wheel" in the botom corner doesn't make it gameplay footage. ^^' I started laughing the moment i saw that. Are we not past the days of making BS cutscenes like that?

I've been burned by the amazing looking White Knight Chronicles trailer that looked like gameplay but only turned out to be prerendered after actual gameplay was released so I won't hold my breath.

Also, I'm assuming it's Dragon's Dogma too, but I have to wonder about that layer of technology in the presentation - is it just a meta thing to show the social/multiplayer aspects of the game or are they going to pull some kind of Assassin's Creed deal?

Looks a lot like a "target render" to me.

Guy Jackson:

Team Hollywood:

Pfft, yeh right. Show me where it says "actual game footage".

I recall Gearbox having that on some of their a-Lie-ns trailers. They have a lot to answer for, game trailers forever more will be nothing more than ash in the mouth until I see proof of the real deal.

*Shakes his head at all the people claiming it's pre-rendered*

Um... The PS4 was designed with Unreal 4 in mind. Unreal 4? Looks like that. As in.. when it's not pre-rendered, it looks like that.

So yes. This very well could be what the game ends up looking like.

Nocturnus:

Um... The PS4 was designed with Unreal 4 in mind. Unreal 4? Looks like that. As in.. when it's not pre-rendered, it looks like that.

Well, after Killzone 2, and Aliens: Colonial Marines, most gamers are kinda bitter about that kind of thing. I hope that this game does end up looking that good. We can only wait until it's released to find out, however.

jensenthejman:

Nocturnus:

Well, after Killzone 2, and Aliens: Colonial Marines, most gamers are kinda bitter about that kind of thing. I hope that this game does end up looking that good. We can only wait until it's released to find out, however.

Well, there wasn't really any gameplay shown. It was a tech demo to show what they could render real-time. :)

What they do with the actual GAME? I have no idea.

I wish trailers showed actual gameplay rather than the newest cgi .

Dark Souls meets Dragons Dogma?

The accents and "roughness" of the characters was actually the most interesting thing about this trailer. I was surprised that Capcom would allow us to play an ugly character.

That being said, another medieval fantasy 3rd person monster slayer.

Hey look, it's a fantasy RPG. It has a guy with a sword. And a mage. And a pointy-eared elf with a bow. Oh, and a fire-breathing dragon.

Is anyone else having their minds totally blown by all this?

Nocturnus:

Saying "it's designed with Unreal 4 in mind" is not much different from saying "it runs at 60 FPS". It's borderline meaningless because it says nothing about the actual assets being used. The last gen of consoles could "run" Cryengine 3 (indeed it was pretty much made for those consoles), but they couldn't do a twentieth of what high-end PCs are capable of doing with it, so the simple that they could run it didn't mean they could do any of the more advanced stuff just because.

I'm leaning on the side of this being pre-rendered based on the structure of it alone, and I'd bet money this is not what the PS4 will actually be capable of in terms of gameplay, as opposed to a purely graphical, small-scale showcasing a-la the Quantic Dream robot thingy from last year. Maybe this ran real-time on something, and I want to see some confirmation of this, but that has little to no bearing on how the actual game will look.

I wouldn't be so optimistic if I were you.

Sure, it looks nice and all, but when you get that depth of realism, you need to have good motion. I wasn't believing the dragon, because he lurched around in a very inorganic way. The whole thing just felt a bit off to me, and I would love to know how everything in the trailer could actually be gameplay. Seems to me like being blasted by fire for twenty seconds before being able to stab a dragon in the nose a few times follows the ancient boss technique of defend until the boss hurts himself, then attack while he's down. With this level of realism, I don't think anyone will be able to accept that method any more.

Looks like most comments here agree that we aren't convinced, yet.
Made to look like gameplay footage. But is it really? Doubtful.

Thank you Colonial Marines for opening our eyes to the possibility (of lies)!

ugh... you guys know the only reason why pre-rendered stuff looked better than actual gameplay in the past generations, right? they had to scale down the polygon count because high-poly models and unlimited particle effects would be impossible to render in real time due to limitations in hardware performance. It's the same reason why you can't run the Witcher 2 on a 10-year old computer. Not enough power.

From what I've seen, I think it's safe to assume that the PS4 has enough power to enable the graphics in games to use the amount of detail close to that of pre-rendered cinematics without the need for much downscaling.

Which brings me to the Deep Down trailer. I know it now looks too good to be true, but those who were watching Sony's conference have heard the guy say that the footage they showed was a showcase of their new (Panta Rhei) engine's capabilities. In other words, it should be safe to say that this is the real thing. If not... well I guess that would make that guy a liar. Not impossible but let's be optimistic, shall we.

I know that most of you guys are still shaken by that Colonial Marines fiasco but don't give up on he entire industry yet, alright?

Zhukov:
Hey look, it's a fantasy RPG. It has a guy with a sword. And a mage. And a pointy-eared elf with a bow. Oh, and a fire-breathing dragon.

Is anyone else having their minds totally blown by all this?

Totally.

All we needed was a dwarf in chainmail with a big axe and my mind would have completely melted.

I wonder what the story is like?

Capcom?

Oh never mind....

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook