Tomb Raider Review - An Icon Reborn

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Tomb Raider Review - An Icon Reborn

Welcome back, Ms. Croft. We've missed you.

Read Full Article

Hm, interesting. I did want to give this game a try, when does it come out? (googles it) Ten days? Ok then, I'll give it a shot.

Not much to say in this review...is this just the review style or was the game just that bland apart from the hints of emotional growth that was mentioned

IronMit:
Not much to say in this review...is this just the review style or was the game just that bland apart from the hints of emotional growth that was mentioned

My guess is that the review is trying to avoid spoilers like the plague.

Although a bit premature, will this new series end up where the original ended? Just hypothesising.

Is there an open over-world? Or specific areas that are kind of open-ish?

Nice video review, especially with the juxtaposition of the previous games.
But coz I'm a sucker for games with stories, I'm picking this up. It'll be my first Tomb Raider, since the others did look too silly towards the end.

Don't buy the hype. I've watched streams of this game. This game is terribly bland, has shoehorned multiplayer, and while I LIKE that they tried to characterize Laura so we can see her grow from a normal person into this badass survivalist we all know, they kick it to the EXTREME side, making her an incompitant sack of potatoes that needs to get hauled around by her big strong manly mentor for the first half. Oh, and the rest of the cast is unlikable and stupid to the extreme.

I suggest waiting for more reviews to come in, particularly user reviews, before making your decision.

Why would that be jarring? The dear isn't trying rape me or kill my friends. But is there a multi-player mode where you get to play as a T-Rex?

Chrono212:
Although a bit premature, will this new series end up where the original ended? Just hypothesising.

Is there an open over-world? Or specific areas that are kind of open-ish?

Nice video review, especially with the juxtaposition of the previous games.
But coz I'm a sucker for games with stories, I'm picking this up. It'll be my first Tomb Raider, since the others did look too silly towards the end.

Wasn't there multi-player?

It wasn't available for review.

OT: Cool. Can't wait to try this game once I get it on sale. I hate being poor T-T

TsunamiWombat:
Don't buy the hype. I've watched streams of this game. This game is terribly bland, has shoehorned multiplayer, and while I LIKE that they tried to characterize Laura so we can see her grow from a normal person into this badass survivalist we all know, they kick it to the EXTREME side, making her an incompitant sack of potatoes that needs to get hauled around by her big strong manly mentor for the first half. Oh, and the rest of the cast is unlikable and stupid to the extreme.

I suggest waiting for more reviews to come in, particularly user reviews, before making your decision.

I'm going to wait for zero punctuation and maybe PC gamer. They labelled a recent gameplay reveal as '11 minute corridor of death' so I think I'm on the same page as them

edit. Ohh damn. check out machinima review of this game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWQMMlCCEuU

erttheking:

IronMit:

My guess is that the review is trying to avoid spoilers like the plague.

Yep. I don't want to give away a single aspect of the story. I wouldn't dream of robbing players of the delight of surprise.

DVS BSTrD:
Why would that be jarring? The dear isn't trying rape me or kill my friends. But is there a multi-player mode where you get to play as a T-Rex?

No-one is trying to rape you. But killing is difficult - whether it's an animal or a human - and in fact Lara is very seriously affected by the first human she kills - in the cutscene, anyway. In the gameplay, she's picking off guys left and right without any problem at all. It's the difference between the character as governed by the story and the character as avatar for the player. The two are somewhat at odds when it comes to the combat. It's certainly not a reason to avoid the game, but it does stand out.

TsunamiWombat:

User reviews. Urgh.

I laugh at the notion of basing actual purchasing decisions on those manic, poorly written displays of blatant agendas.

This is the first one in the rebooted series. It makes sense that they would try to make it appeal to a wider audience. I only hope next installments will be more like the old games with more puzzles and tombs. I didn't mind the unrealistic approach. Isn't that what the most fun games are about?

I'm surprised that Square Enix allowed pre-release reviews.

When you think of Lara Croft, you probably think about her trekking through the jungle, cartwheeling her way through trap-riddled tombs and gleefully picking off bad guys, twin pistols ablaze.

Yep, and I'm perfectly fine with that. I'm 95% sure before I play this that it will be focused on giving us an origins story of Lara instead of good puzzles, and this will be purely a self-conscious reaction against the criticism of Lara's plastic image.

Who cares about the characters and the story? I don't. TR is about the platforming and the puzzles. Why change?

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes! I was so worried the concept was going to be wasted on a bad game

Hmm so can this be safely stamped as a game with a solid female protagonist? Would love to add it to the growing pile of games that can be thrown at feminists/politically-correct-twats to make them shut up :P

This game was on the periphery of my gaming radar but now I'm interested again. After all the controversies with the developers comments and videos, I was a bit worried. Now, as a Lara Craft newb (never wanted to start those games with the seriously oversized breasts), I may pick it up.

Well, once I finish a few games in my backlog. It is really getting out of control.

Hm, might pick it up then.

Anyone hear anything about the PC version?

Is it a good port?

Wait, so you're telling me there's no giant octopus boss battle? Hmm... I might have to skip this one.

Why even call her Lara Croft? If they wanted to tell a new story in the Tomb Raider setting with a brand new character, then why didn't they just do it? She isn't anything like her except in her name: She doesn't act like her or sound like her and she barely resembles her.

While the new Lara might be good (some might like her better, which is fine), this seems like a slap in the face for everyone who liked Lara Croft and the Tomb Raider franchise before.

I'll pass on this one.

Blood Brain Barrier:

Susan Arendt:
When you think of Lara Croft, you probably think about her trekking through the jungle, cartwheeling her way through trap-riddled tombs and gleefully picking off bad guys, twin pistols ablaze.

Yep, and I'm perfectly fine with that. I'm 95% sure before I play this that it will be focused on giving us an origins story of Lara instead of good puzzles, and this will be purely a self-conscious reaction against the criticism of Lara's plastic image.

Who cares about the characters and the story? I don't. TR is about the platforming and the puzzles. Why change?

You don't, so nobody else could? Intriguing.

Nothing wrong with reinvigorating a character, especially one who has been so one dimensional for so long before this! If the idea doesn't appeal, borrow my N64 and my copy of Super Mario, amazing platforming, some puzzles and only the barest of plots. Your idea of heaven.

Also, and sorry to twist the knife here, but you're 95% sure there won't be good puzzles because of the character focus? Did you read the review? Or did you just wade in here to spout off? Someone call the Heavy Rain dev team! They're doing it wrong!

Rant over. Susan, you Cadillac of reviewers you, how would you want them to handle the combat/character problem? A stellar review as always...

Zhukov:

TsunamiWombat:

User reviews. Urgh.

I laugh at the notion of basing actual purchasing decisions on those manic, poorly written displays of blatant agendas.

Dont be ridicules Zhukov.

What you need to do is find reviews that confirms your predetermined decisions of a product in an effort to justify your opinion.

Zhukov:

TsunamiWombat:

User reviews. Urgh.

The difference between user reviews and professional reviews is punctuation.

Draech:

Zhukov:

TsunamiWombat:

User reviews. Urgh.

What you need to do is find reviews that confirms your predetermined decisions of a product in an effort to justify your opinion.

Sure is a lot of STRAWMAN in here. Is that how it is, Professional Review Good User Review Bad? I didn't say the review here was fallacy, I stated my disagreement based on my admittedly more limited exposure to the material, but suggested "wait and see" based on that experience. If you don't think the past year of gaming, from A:CM back to Mass Effect 3, isn't definite proof that early reviews don't come with a buyer beware caveat, i'm not sure what media you're following or what experiences you've had to shape your perceptions in such a way.

MikeWehner:
Wait, so you're telling me there's no giant octopus boss battle? Hmm... I might have to skip this one.

Yeah... that's a real let down :(

OT: This actually looks MUCH better than I thought it'd be. I may have to give this one a shot... though, it may need to wait a bit. Still doing a NG+ playthrough of Persona 4!

and the bitching of betrayal commences...

Aaron Sylvester:
Hmm so can this be safely stamped as a game with a solid female protagonist? Would love to add it to the growing pile of games that can be thrown at feminists/politically-correct-twats to make them shut up :P

keep fueling that fire, buddy.

So does mean that finally Lara Croft can't simply be palette switched with Larry Croft anymore?

Fappy:

MikeWehner:

OT: This actually looks MUCH better than I thought it'd be. I may have to give this one a shot... though, it may need to wait a bit. Still doing a NG+ playthrough of Persona 4!

So you can actually ask for Chie's phone number without being told that you're a pussy?

Dahemo:

Blood Brain Barrier:

Susan Arendt:

Rant over. Susan, you Cadillac of reviewers you, how would you want them to handle the combat/character problem? A stellar review as always...

You know, I don't have a good answer to that. If her gameplay development mirrored her character development, the game would have to play much differently, and while it might still be quite fun, it wouldn't be the adventure romp that we want it to be. And don't get me wrong, the combat is a lot of fun. I loooooooved pulling off headshots with my bow, and setting guys ablaze with napalm arrows. (Shooting guys off zip lines? The best.) So I'm not sure what the best solution would be. I love both halves of the game, and it's easy enough to mentally put aside the fact that there's really no reason for Lara to be such a good shot. As much as we want games to deliver good characterization and strong stories, we can't ignore the fact that they also have roles to play as games.

erttheking:

Fappy:

MikeWehner:

So you can actually ask for Chie's phone number without being told that you're a pussy?

Hahaha, that and so I can 100% the compendium/S. Links and beat the secret boss.

Around level 50 now. I'm coming for you Izanagi-no-Okami (just 41 more levels to go)!

I feel like they could've stuck to the original narrative of the character (stranded in the Himilayas) and done this story, i'm not sure why they felt the need to shoe horn in a revamped background. I suppose so they could 'show' Laura going from incompitant to hyper compitant. But from what you're saying, that doesn't happen - she just jumps from scared to badass once the story arbitrarily throws a switch. So they may as well have done a timeskip from being 12 and scared to being a feral child with a spear made of icicles.

TsunamiWombat:

Draech:

Zhukov:

User reviews. Urgh.

Sure is a lot of STRAWMAN in here. Is that how it is, Professional Review Good User Review Bad? I didn't say the review here was fallacy, I stated my disagreement based on my admittedly more limited exposure to the material, but suggested "wait and see" based on that experience. If you don't think the past year of gaming, from A:CM back to Mass Effect 3, isn't definite proof that early reviews don't come with a buyer beware caveat, i'm not sure what media you're following or what experiences you've had to shape your perceptions in such a way.

Noted.

You are a more reliable source because you have seen a stream off the game while Susan who played it isn't.

In the meantime user reviews are flodded with bullshit of people who want their opinion to be justified.
It is lovely how you take A:CM when it was getting universal disapproval from reviews. You telling me I shouldn't trust them?

Note I am not really arguing with your exposure to the material in the quote just commenting on the unreliability of user reviews.
If I were to draw my information of the tool used for review bombing I would be a bloody sad individual.

Doom972:
Why even call her Lara Croft? If they wanted to tell a new story in the Tomb Raider setting with a brand new character, then why didn't they just do it? She isn't anything like her except in her name: She doesn't act like her or sound like her and she barely resembles her.

While the new Lara might be good (some might like her better, which is fine), this seems like a slap in the face for everyone who liked Lara Croft and the Tomb Raider franchise before.

I'll pass on this one.

Why do fans have to take every change on their favorite well-trodden, overdone series as personal attacks? Do you really think the world revolves around you?

Seems like they wanted to add some depth. Seems like you could keep an open mind.

TsunamiWombat:

The difference between user reviews and professional reviews is punctuation.

So would Yahtzee's reviews be considered user reviews?

*ba dum tish*

OT: Interesting. I've never really played the original Tomb Raider games, but I was aware of them. Might keep an eye on this one.

Let's take a look at the Modern Game Release Checklist-

[X] - New installment in a big franchise
[X] - People calling it the worst thing ever after the first teaser
[X] - Pre-release controversy
[ ] - Petition
[X] - Universally high review scores
[X] - People still calling it the worst thing ever before even touching it
[X] - Conspiratorial speculation over scores and/or discussion of inadequacy of professional reviews

Thank you for joining us on this installment of the MGRC.

Stay predictable.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or