Tomb Raider Review - An Icon Reborn

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

It's going to be a brilliant year for gaming this year, isn't it? What have we got, Bioshock Infinite? Sim City? Company of Heroes 2? Watch Dogs? Maybe Half Life 3? It'll be much better than last year, at least.

I can't wait to get my hands on this game once I come home from college.

I guess a good sign that a AAA game is decent is that reviews are out more then a week before the game's release? ;)

Well im sold, *goes to preorder on steam*.

Regarding the problem of ingame lara being a natural sharpshooter, i suppose one way they could have done it is make it rpgish with a stat system determining how accurate you were with certain weapons, so lara would be a terrible shot at the beginning of the game and an eagle eye shot by the end of it.
Granted most people seem to have hated in it in mass effect 1, but maybe here it would have been more fitting?

TsunamiWombat:
A:CM back to Mass Effect 3, isn't definite proof that early reviews don't come with a buyer beware caveat, i'm not sure what media you're following or what experiences you've had to shape your perceptions in such a way.

I'm not sure what you are trying to prove, A:CM has revived almost universal scorn and the disapproval for ME3 has largely been coming from a very loud minority, most people didn't let 5 terrible minutes at the end ruin an entire game.

OT: Sounds interesting, after A:CM turned out so bad I was worried I would end up two for two with games I'm looking forward to being awful . Sadly I wont be able to pick this up I need to get my hands on Fire Emblem and Pandora's tower before they become collectibles like Xenoblade.

I'll admit, even though I'm not much a fan, I was worried this game wouldn't actually be good. Especially since it's a reboot(Yea, yea I know, "not all reboots are yadda yadda").

Though am I the only one getting a slight farcry 3 through the review footage?
Inexperienced protagonist shoved out of his/her comfort zone, at first not at all happy with killing (but become efficient killers when the cutscenes are over)faffing about in Temples in jungles(Ok, farcry has less temples).

If this laura grows into the laura we're used to, you can then say both protagonists become psychotic remorseless killing machines.

Oh my god, now instead of Laura being compared to Nathan Drake, will we now have discussion on whether the new Laura Croft is a female version of Jason Brody.

Answer:No, I'm probably thinking too much into things again

Frankster:
I guess a good sign that a AAA game is decent is that reviews are out more then a week before the game's release? ;)

Well im sold, *goes to preorder on steam*.

Regarding the problem of ingame lara being a natural sharpshooter, i suppose one way they could have done it is make it rpgish with a stat system determining how accurate you were with certain weapons, so lara would be a terrible shot at the beginning of the game and an eagle eye shot by the end of it.
Granted most people seem to have hated in it in mass effect 1, but maybe here it would have been more fitting?

Well, you do gain new skills, and can upgrade weapons to make them more accurate or powerful, but really, it all comes down to player ability. You could take the RPG approach, but I think that would be a mistake in this case. The Tomb Raider games aren't RPGs, they're not about stat development, they're about fast-paced action, and while I'm obviously in favor of breathing new life into the franchise, it shouldn't come at the expense of the spirit of the game. Puzzles, exploration, fast-paced combat, ancient civilizations - whatever else the game did, it had to have those elements in order to maintain the spirit of Tomb Raider, at least in my opinion. Making it an RPG would deviate from that just, and wouldn't make the game substantially more enjoyable.

This thread looks delightful... we're less than 30 posts in and the people are already pissed off...

OT: I never played a single Tomb Raider game, despite owning a PS1. Never liked puzzle games. Still haven't played Portal. But I can understand some of the frustration of a character getting a full reboot because that's what the industry thinks sells these days, and her suddenly going from mimsy to badass in 4 frames flat would seem off.

CaptOfSerenity:

Doom972:
Why even call her Lara Croft? If they wanted to tell a new story in the Tomb Raider setting with a brand new character, then why didn't they just do it? She isn't anything like her except in her name: She doesn't act like her or sound like her and she barely resembles her.

While the new Lara might be good (some might like her better, which is fine), this seems like a slap in the face for everyone who liked Lara Croft and the Tomb Raider franchise before.

I'll pass on this one.

Why do fans have to take every change on their favorite well-trodden, overdone series as personal attacks? Do you really think the world revolves around you?

Seems like they wanted to add some depth. Seems like you could keep an open mind.

Or perhaps the developer thought "Reboots sell, and new IPs don't" so they cashed in? Perhaps other people see this as a cash-grab designed without any mind to the series or its characters.

This game is the latest in a disturbing trend.

IronMit:

TsunamiWombat:
Don't buy the hype. I've watched streams of this game. This game is terribly bland, has shoehorned multiplayer, and while I LIKE that they tried to characterize Laura so we can see her grow from a normal person into this badass survivalist we all know, they kick it to the EXTREME side, making her an incompitant sack of potatoes that needs to get hauled around by her big strong manly mentor for the first half. Oh, and the rest of the cast is unlikable and stupid to the extreme.

I suggest waiting for more reviews to come in, particularly user reviews, before making your decision.

I'm going to wait for zero punctuation and maybe PC gamer. They labelled a recent gameplay reveal as '11 minute corridor of death' so I think I'm on the same page as them

edit. Ohh damn. check out machinima review of this game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWQMMlCCEuU

I will say that the first section of the game (which probably lasts about 10 minutes, yes) is stuffed full of quicktime events and is, indeed, a boring corridor. It's odd, really, because the rest of the game is nothing like that. I have no idea why they chose to kick off the game in such an unengaging way.

Susan Arendt:

Welcome back, Ms. Croft. We've missed you.

Read Full Article

From what you say, Tomb Raider seems to have a lot in common with Far Cry 3. If so, could you say which of the two is more worth a purchase. For context, I have not played any previous Tomb Raider of Far Cry games, but both of these have caught my attention.

Zhukov:
I laugh at the notion of basing actual purchasing decisions on those manic, poorly written displays of blatant agendas.

And I can say the exact same thing about "professional" reviews. Plus, I prefer to read user reviews with the confidence that these people (usually) aren't getting paid or threatened to give a positive review on a game they know is bad. But this comes with the possibility that users may indeed have an agenda (see: DmC: Devil May Cry user reviews) due to them feeling slighted in a sense.

I couldn't decide between PC or PS3 for this. Eventually preordered on Steam but still curious about which one will be best. JC for most games on both platforms, where in the graphics setting does PS3 lie? Middle or something?

Susan Arendt:
The Tomb Raider games aren't RPGs, they're not about stat development.

Yeah, we learnt that lesson with Angel of Darkness.

"My arms feel stronger now!"

Seriously? (I still secretly love that game though, even if it was broken as all hell)

I would like to see the typical shooter setup completely rewritten for a game about survival, not necessarily a Tomb Raider game though. Shaking hands, low level of accuracy, taking physical damage when shooting due to the recoil, perhaps the protagonist even refusing to shoot at times. It wouldn't be stat based but tied to the story, each problem slowly getting better as Lara progresses, all the numbers behind the scenes.

Optional objectives that help certain issues would be cool too, choosing to help an injured animal might reduce the shake? Almost like the way combat in Silent Hill was so tense because it was so cluunky and unrefined, except this time it's intentional due to the character's inexperience. This would probably cause frustration in a lot of players but it sounds like it would generate a tense atmosphere and I'd play the hell out of it! Even if it was an optional mode.

It's nice when game mechanics fit the narrative but ultimately am I the only one that doesn't really give a crap that the "gamey" parts aren't reflected in the story?

It's a concession to the fact it's a game that I learned to make way back when.

The fact that Laura gets used to killing people so quickly proves what we already knew. She's a psychopath.

M0rp43vs:
Though am I the only one getting a slight farcry 3 through the review footage?
Inexperienced protagonist shoved out of his/her comfort zone, at first not at all happy with killing (but become efficient killers when the cutscenes are over)faffing about in Temples in jungles(Ok, farcry has less temples).

I've also gotten a bit of a Far Cry 3 "vibe" from the two reviews I've read so far (this one plus Jim Sterling's), and that's a good thing for me since I've on the whole enjoyed FC3.

I must admit I have now gotten more intrigued with this game than I had 'planned on'/expected to be. Still have to wait for Yahtzee's take/personal income/Steam sale/completion of other games/etc before I check it out. Though if a demo comes out that'd certainly help.

I'm actually really happy that a lot of people I trust are giving Tomb Raider a lot of praise. The original trailers from last spring looked awful but the recent footage is much more promising. I'm also glad to hear from everyone that Lara gets used to killing people in cold blood surprisingly fast. I'll have to judge the cutscenes for myself though.

demented:
The fact that Laura gets used to killing people so quickly proves what we already knew. She's a psychopath.

They should stop dancing around this and make it canon already.

m19:
It's nice when game mechanics fit the narrative but ultimately am I the only one that doesn't really give a crap that the "gamey" parts aren't reflected in the story?

It's a concession to the fact it's a game that I learned to make way back when.

I normally don't care too much...it's more of a bonus when the gameplay and narrative fit..It's a shame it's the norm that it doesn't.

However this game is some sort of character development origin story...or at least that's what the marketing tells me so gameplay fitting narrative is quite important for some people.

So happy this has been getting good reviews, I'm a huge fan of the series. Enough to have the read the books! I've been waiting so long for it's release I was starting to get a little worried it might turn out to be just ok. But from what I've seen, and what everyone is talking about, I'm going to be one happy fanboy on release day!

Now comes the hardest part...waiting for my collectors edition to arrive...

This is kinda a prequel, also a reboot. But it explains how she got to be who she was in the original games. I like that she starts off as a normal woman crashed on an island. You can connect with her, identify with her as you keep her alive and discover things on the island. Seriously, its not a case of "oh look, its a weak woman that needs my manly help", no, its the case of if i crashed onto an island, i to would be as useless and pathetic to. I can identify with her situation, it makes her human and care, unlike the original TR games when you played Lara as a woman that can totally take care of herself in every situation. Its like RPGs, you start off as a weak nobody, and you have to fight and get strong to survive. Im very impressed with what ive seen so far of TR.

NinjaDeathSlap:

Susan Arendt:

Welcome back, Ms. Croft. We've missed you.

Read Full Article

From what you say, Tomb Raider seems to have a lot in common with Far Cry 3. If so, could you say which of the two is more worth a purchase. For context, I have not played any previous Tomb Raider of Far Cry games, but both of these have caught my attention.

Well, that's naturally going to be very much a matter of taste. They're both excellent. Far Cry 3 is more open world, and is longer. It's also darker in tone, and first person rather than third person. No matter which you choose, I think you'll enjoy yourself. (I played both on the 360, so your platform of choice may make a difference in your decision making.)

demented:

I couldn't help but remember one of Yahtzee's old reviews where he said that Lara's perfect mate would be Jason Vorhees because she was basically...EVIL!

He put it something like: "In the last game she would occasionally look down at her hands after killing someone as if to say "What kind of monster have I become?" but really, we all know she's off her rocker."

OT: I tried playing one Tomb Raider game in the 90's and couldn't get far in (even with a walk through) because I couldn't ever latch on to a 'hidden' ledge in some canopy or something. That left 99% of the game unfinished.

Looks like things have gotten better.

As for people whining about the reboot it should be clear that the need was unavoidable: After silliness like the giant octopus how could they "Up" things next? Lara unearthing fire breathing dragons?

Lemme guess: They did that somewhere, didn't they?

While Lara was overly sexualized in the past, she was also a bad ass. I liked that aspect of her. She relied on no one, had no shoe-horned love interest, and typically did not need to be bailed out by anyone. I'm just afraid to play this game and see Lara become the new Samus, plus the action looked a little bland. The tombs just seem like a challenge room in Assassin's Creed - there to convince players that they "haven't forgotten Tomb Raider's roots."

I still want to play this game, though. It should be judged for what it is, not what series it's a part of, and playing for myself is the only way I'll know for sure whether I'll like it or not. I like it when games go in new directions, so I'd be happy if this game totally made me eat my above paragraph.

IronMit:

edit. Ohh damn. check out machinima review of this game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWQMMlCCEuU

Oh god this hurts... 'Laura Croft' Her name is not Laura.

CaptOfSerenity:

Doom972:
Why even call her Lara Croft? If they wanted to tell a new story in the Tomb Raider setting with a brand new character, then why didn't they just do it? She isn't anything like her except in her name: She doesn't act like her or sound like her and she barely resembles her.

While the new Lara might be good (some might like her better, which is fine), this seems like a slap in the face for everyone who liked Lara Croft and the Tomb Raider franchise before.

I'll pass on this one.

Why do fans have to take every change on their favorite well-trodden, overdone series as personal attacks? Do you really think the world revolves around you?

Seems like they wanted to add some depth. Seems like you could keep an open mind.

First of all, I wouldn't say I'm a fan, I like the franchise but not all that much, so imagine what an actual fan might think.
For the sake of the argument, let's say that Tomb Raider is well-trodden and overdone, isn't it much more of a reason to start a new IP or at least make a new protagonist?
Didn't really get that last part. I don't recall making any selfish demands.

I'm very open to new things and changes as long as they make sense. Making a new and completely different character and acting as if she's one of the most well-known characters gaming doesn't make sense. Imagine if they make a new Mario game where Mario is a teenager who doesn't have a mustache and talks with an American accent.

So how much platforming is still in it? Cos I hate platforming.
A lot of the last Tom Raider game I played was running up to a ledge and pressing jump and shouting FFS WHY DIDN'T SHE FRAKING JUMP?!!

Umm does the animation/graphics look a little wonky to anyone else? Like this is a 2008 game. Just what I saw in the review reminded me of resident evil combat, and the movement animation looked a bit odd. I might pick this up on a steam sale for 10 bucks we'll see how the general consensus is after a month or two.

Crazy Zaul:
So how much platforming is still in it? Cos I hate platforming.
A lot of the last Tom Raider game I played was running up to a ledge and pressing jump and shouting FFS WHY DIDN'T SHE FRAKING JUMP?!!

Did you read the review? I felt like I covered that pretty thoroughly...

Doom972:

I'll pass on this one.

Woah, no one's slapping anyone in the face, even figuratively. There's nothing that wrong with trying a new interpretation of an existing character. If you don't like it, you don't like it. But it's not destroying the previous interpretation is it? A character staying the same forever breeds boredom.

I say all this, yet I'm probably passing on this game too.

For me though it comes down to the fact that I enjoyed the Tomb Raider games for the whole raiding tombs aspect, oddly enough. Nothing like coming into a huge ancient space and trying to figure out how I'm getting from down here to up there without slipping off something and breaking my own neck. I understand why people and devs love the giving players lots of room for error ethos of most of today's games, but I miss the danger. In the original Tomb Raider you had to be super fucking careful when ten or so minutes from the last save point you were stories up on a small cliff or platform NOT to make one wrong move, which made perfect sense. It really captured the feeling of vertigo one might feel in such a situation. When you finally made it to your next location it felt like you just made it through a truly harrowing experience. Sadly as much as I respect the post-Core Tomb Raider games for what they fixed in the franchise, I miss the feeling of danger. I haven't seen anybody do this since the OG Tomb Raiders! Does it just not appeal to anyone anymore?

Can't take it personally though.

As usual, I'll have to play it myself. But so far, so good. I thought people were going to hate this game far more than I've seen thus far. I welcome the reboot. It's not like the last one was on anyone's "I love this game" list. The kill moves alone make it worth renting for me.

TheKasp:
Oh god this hurts... 'Laura Croft' Her name is not Laura.

Thank you. I was seconds away from ragequoting and skipping the rest of the thread.

Proverbial Jon:
"My arms feel stronger now!"

And now you ruined my evening. I need a tub of chocolate ice cream...

Susan Arendt:
*snip*

You mention Far Cry 3 being longer, can you say how long approximately Tomb Raider is? The gameplay reveal and video reviews make it seem very Uncharted-y, and while I enjoyed that series, it has little replayability. Would be nice to know in advance if I'm not dropping hard cash for a 5-hour romp.

Anyway, I'm on the fence about this one. Gameplay seems very "modernized" (i.e. more linear and dependent on set pieces), which admittedly was already starting to happen by the time Underworld came out. New Lara's boobs aren't grotesquely large, but it seems the occasional gratuitous shot is still there. And then there's a bit we've seen in previous videos as well, where Lara wades in chest-deep water with a stringed bow on her. Come on!! That's just annoying.

Huh, I've gone from not really caring (don't have enough time to follow all the gaming news nowadays) to disappointed (after the "gameplay reveal" a few weeks back) to cautiously excited (once the reviews started rolling in). Might pick this one up for nostalgia's sake, if nothing else.

Yeah, I thought the game would have some dissonance between the combat and the story, I had hoped it would take a page out of Far Cry 3's book in that regard, a little disappointing. Nevertheless, it still looks as I expected, and I might pick it up down the line if I'm in the mood for it.

Phlakes:
Let's take a look at the Modern Game Release Checklist-

[X] - New installment in a big franchise
[X] - People calling it the worst thing ever after the first teaser
[X] - Pre-release controversy
[ ] - Petition
[X] - Universally high review scores
[X] - People still calling it the worst thing ever before even touching it
[X] - Conspiratorial speculation over scores and/or discussion of inadequacy of professional reviews

Thank you for joining us on this installment of the MGRC.

Stay predictable.

^ This, I cant remember a single game that has come out post 2010 that hasn't been hit with this entire checklist. I have enjoyed numerous games over the last few years and I feel they are only getting better, but it seems the gaming community is only getting worse. A lot of times I just don't even feel like bothering with forums anymore because of the amount of non sense that is perpetuated from troll sites like Reddit and 4chan.

On topic: Game looks pretty good, so glad to see Lara is finally getting a proper game its been too long. Since this is the closest I will get to playing a uncharted like game on the PC, I am going to pick it up :).

RyQ_TMC:

You mention Far Cry 3 being longer, can you say how long approximately Tomb Raider is? The gameplay reveal and video reviews make it seem very Uncharted-y, and while I enjoyed that series, it has little replayability. Would be nice to know in advance if I'm not dropping hard cash for a 5-hour romp.

Anyway, I'm on the fence about this one. Gameplay seems very "modernized" (i.e. more linear and dependent on set pieces), which admittedly was already starting to happen by the time Underworld came out. New Lara's boobs aren't grotesquely large, but it seems the occasional gratuitous shot is still there. And then there's a bit we've seen in previous videos as well, where Lara wades in chest-deep water with a stringed bow on her. Come on!! That's just annoying.

Huh, I've gone from not really caring (don't have enough time to follow all the gaming news nowadays) to disappointed (after the "gameplay reveal" a few weeks back) to cautiously excited (once the reviews started rolling in). Might pick this one up for nostalgia's sake, if nothing else.

Well, if you want to 100% it - find all the artifacts, journals, challenges, etc - you're probably looking at, oh...20-25 hours, give or take? I can't say I think it has much replayability, though. The magic is the story and character progression, and once you know what happens, it loses something. (Much like Uncharted.)

Sheo_Dagana:
While Lara was overly sexualized in the past, she was also a bad ass. I liked that aspect of her. She relied on no one, had no shoe-horned love interest, and typically did not need to be bailed out by anyone. I'm just afraid to play this game and see Lara become the new Samus, plus the action looked a little bland. The tombs just seem like a challenge room in Assassin's Creed - there to convince players that they "haven't forgotten Tomb Raider's roots."

I still want to play this game, though. It should be judged for what it is, not what series it's a part of, and playing for myself is the only way I'll know for sure whether I'll like it or not. I like it when games go in new directions, so I'd be happy if this game totally made me eat my above paragraph.

Tbh, I'm not all that worried about her getting Other M'd after reading some of the early reviews. Other M used the origin story routine to rob Samus of agency, while Tomb Raider's narrative arc seems to take Lara from weakness to strength on her own terms and through her own actions. The whole plot sounds like, "Everyone's useless except you. Handle your biz." In other words, I get the impression that the "Ofc you won't identify with her, you'll want to protect her" bullshit was just a dumb comment that didn't reflect the view the game actually takes of its protagonist.

I'm more curious whether it's more a generic violent action game than a "Tomb Raider game" (platforming, puzzling, exploring.) Not worried though, that game could be great in its own right! It'll be amusing, to say the least, to see whether internet folks use "It's way too violent for Tomb Raider" as a coded way of arguing "It's way too violent for a female protagonist." (And I could also be misremembering Tomb Raider, as I haven't played any of them since the PS1 days.)

But yeah, I'm definitely getting it too. All I needed from early reviews was to know whether it's mechanically sound enough to be enjoyable. It is, so I want to play it so I can draw my own conclusions about the bigger thematic stuff.

Also I know we just came off the whole Aliens: Colonial Marines "Fuck Gearbox for keeping embargo until launch day just to stop people from cancelling preorders" thing, but... it's kinda torturous to be reading so many good reviews when the game doesn't come out for another week. :(

Susan Arendt:
Well, if you want to 100% it - find all the artifacts, journals, challenges, etc - you're probably looking at, oh...20-25 hours, give or take? I can't say I think it has much replayability, though. The magic is the story and character progression, and once you know what happens, it loses something. (Much like Uncharted.)

Thanks for the info. I'll be careful not to step into any spoilers then.

bananafishtoday:
(And I could also be misremembering Tomb Raider, as I haven't played any of them since the PS1 days.)

AoD and Crystal Dynamics games dialed the amount of enemies down a bit, so upping the killcount might be considered "too violent" (assuming it happens)... Plus, the earlier games were more cartoony, this one goes more for "darker & grittier" feel. So I can see people complaining about it beeing "too violent" without a subtext.

As for the setting of the origin story, didn't they already changed it twice? Lara started off as a plane crash survivor in the Himalayas in the early games, then was the naive teen betrayed by her mentor in The Last Revelation, and I remember that Crystal Dynamics games had some mommy issues backstory... The "island plane crash" does seem cliched this generation - especially after the big buzz about Far Cry 3 - but I don't feel like it's an unforgivable break in series canon.

FinalDream:
So happy this has been getting good reviews, I'm a huge fan of the series. Enough to have the read the books!

There are books? First I hear about it, and I considered myself a fan of the series.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here