Tomb Raider Review - An Icon Reborn

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

darron13:

Daystar Clarion:
Hm, might pick it up then.

Anyone hear anything about the PC version?

Is it a good port?

From what I've heard not only is it a good port, but it has a ton of graphical effects not present in the console versions like tessellation and bokeh depth of field.

I've already got it on Steam, but that's good to know :D

The more I see of this game, the less I want it. When they first announced it all I could say was "OMG THIS LOOKS INCREDIBLE I CAN'T WAIT". Now, almost everything about it seems dull, specially the platforming and puzzles, two of my favourite things about this series. No wonder all they ever really showed in those YouTube videos was combat shoot shoot headshot shotgun to the face.

Looks pretty but that's about it. I'll probably get it because I love the Tomb Raider games, but... meh.

Gamers Rejoice!

Yay yay yay ^_^

Daystar Clarion:

darron13:

Daystar Clarion:

Is it a good port?

From what I've heard not only is it a good port, but it has a ton of graphical effects not present in the console versions like tessellation and bokeh depth of field.

I've already got it on Steam, but that's good to know :D

Nice, I'll be getting it too once that paycheck rolls in XD

Wow. That good huh? Guess I will pick it up after all. Still, I hope Lara does become the Lara that I know from the previous Tomb Raiders. The Lara I saw in this video sort of left a bad taste in my mouth. First thought was, "Whoa, that's not Lara. Lara doesn't cry or act helpless." But then that's the point of the game, isn't it? She wasn't always the tough girl. So here's hoping that she grows into that role over the next few games.

Good review. I might pick it up.

Daystar Clarion:
Is it a good port?

Exactly my thoughts.

Daystar Clarion:

Is it a good port?

Square Enix have been producing excellent PC ports since DX:HR, so seems likely.

OT: Something doesn't really sit right with me about this game. I don't know what it is, but it's been getting stellar reviews and yet... there's just something about it that means I don't feel anything for it.

And I've gotta say, I am absolutely fucking sick of flicking through menus to deal with novelty upgrade systems. I'm also irritated by yet another example of an 'Instinct vision' or whatever it's called, it worked for Batman because he's bloody Batman, applying it to Hitman and Tomb Raider (and I think The Last of Us) is just lazy game design.

Anyway, I get the feeling this'll be a 15 pick up in a sale at some point during the Summer.

I think Tomb Raider 2 was like the 2nd or 3rd playstation game I ever played. Been a playing since then, but I'm looking forward to this reboot. Its awesome that they are trying to balance out her sexual appeal with strong characterisation ( and the new Lara is actually very pretty[minus the gore and general jungle wear-and-tear]). Honestly, though, simply the concept of some history-loving chick, exploring tombs and generally being a total bad-ass is pretty hot all on its own. I don't have a problem with women being portrayed as attractive but when there's not as much effort put behind the character and its all about the boobies, then yeah- it can sometimes put me off a bit.n
So yup. Excited about the new tomb-raider.

(hahahaha, although I was going to come into this thread saying that its pretty cool people are keeping an open mind about this reboot...but yeah...obviously not everyone's a happy camper. Although compared to DmC...phew)

Susan Arendt:

Welcome back, Ms. Croft. We've missed you.

Read Full Article

Thank you susan.:) No seriously there has been so much negativity in gaming and on the forums. negativity that Ill admit ive probably contributed too at some point or another. But thank you I needed this game to be positive and you review was also pretty positive. You didnt over analyze or try to read to much into anything. It felt like you just sat down, played and then wrote a review based on what was there. Made my day better.

Woodsey:

Daystar Clarion:

Is it a good port?

Square Enix have been producing excellent PC ports since DX:HR, so seems likely.

OT: Something doesn't really sit right with me about this game. I don't know what it is, but it's been getting stellar reviews and yet... there's just something about it that means I don't feel anything for it.

And I've gotta say, I am absolutely fucking sick of flicking through menus to deal with novelty upgrade systems. I'm also irritated by yet another example of an 'Instinct vision' or whatever it's called, it worked for Batman because he's bloody Batman, applying it to Hitman and Tomb Raider (and I think The Last of Us) is just lazy game design.

Anyway, I get the feeling this'll be a 15 pick up in a sale at some point during the Summer.

You kind of just have to do that for when people get stuck. The culture of gaming no longer supports you going online and finding out yourself. The game has to either in some cases just point out the issue in the puzzle that you couldnt find after a certain amount of time has passed which for me is insulting. or have the option in there. You could just not pick that upgrade OR if you have to just not use it.

Seems like a fun game. But I admit that I didn't like the lack of integration between cutscenes feelings and playing feelings.

AgentNein:

Doom972:
While the new Lara might be good (some might like her better, which is fine), this seems like a slap in the face for everyone who liked Lara Croft and the Tomb Raider franchise before.

I'll pass on this one.

Woah, no one's slapping anyone in the face, even figuratively. There's nothing that wrong with trying a new interpretation of an existing character. If you don't like it, you don't like it. But it's not destroying the previous interpretation is it? A character staying the same forever breeds boredom.

I say all this, yet I'm probably passing on this game too.

For me though it comes down to the fact that I enjoyed the Tomb Raider games for the whole raiding tombs aspect, oddly enough. Nothing like coming into a huge ancient space and trying to figure out how I'm getting from down here to up there without slipping off something and breaking my own neck. I understand why people and devs love the giving players lots of room for error ethos of most of today's games, but I miss the danger. In the original Tomb Raider you had to be super fucking careful when ten or so minutes from the last save point you were stories up on a small cliff or platform NOT to make one wrong move, which made perfect sense. It really captured the feeling of vertigo one might feel in such a situation. When you finally made it to your next location it felt like you just made it through a truly harrowing experience. Sadly as much as I respect the post-Core Tomb Raider games for what they fixed in the franchise, I miss the feeling of danger. I haven't seen anybody do this since the OG Tomb Raiders! Does it just not appeal to anyone anymore?

Can't take it personally though.

This isn't a reinterpretation, this is a completely different character that we're expected to believe is Lara Croft. What Crystal Dynamics did in Legend, Anniversary and Underworld was a reinterpretation - you had no doubt that it was Lara Croft, but she wasn't exactly the same. If this new game and its protagonist were called differently (as it probably started), we wouldn't have thought it had anything to do with Tomb Raider - because it doesn't have anything to do with it.

This, in addition to your point about the game not even being about raiding tombs, is why this shouldn't be called Tomb Raider, and the protagonist shouldn't be called Lara Croft. This industry could use new IPs, and I could've looked at this game completely differently if it wasn't an attempt to turn an iconic franchise and character into something that it's not.

rbstewart7263:

Woodsey:

Daystar Clarion:

Is it a good port?

You kind of just have to do that for when people get stuck. The culture of gaming no longer supports you going online and finding out yourself. The game has to either in some cases just point out the issue in the puzzle that you couldnt find after a certain amount of time has passed which for me is insulting. or have the option in there. You could just not pick that upgrade OR if you have to just not use it.

"Just don't use it" is all well and good until it becomes apparent the game has been consciously designed with it in mind. Besides which, it just perpetuates the behaviour: you rely on it to solve stuff for you, and then you expect it so you don't have to think in other games either. Having the character make some sort of gesture or remark - it needn't be a blatant explanation - is far less insulting to my intelligence than having X-ray vision available at all times for no reason other than me being expected to be an idiot at some point.

It is not a crime for people to get stuck and have to think. Surely the success of the Portals has taught us that?

Woodsey:

rbstewart7263:

Woodsey:

"Just don't use it" is all well and good until it becomes apparent the game has been consciously designed with it in mind. Besides which, it just perpetuates the behaviour: you rely on it to solve stuff for you, and then you expect it so you don't have to think in other games either. Having the character make some sort of gesture or remark - it needn't be a blatant explanation - is far less insulting to my intelligence than having X-ray vision available at all times for no reason other than me being expected to be an idiot at some point.

It is not a crime for people to get stuck and have to think. Surely the success of the Portals has taught us that?

Oh no sir I prefer my games like that. last adventure game I beat primordia I loved and whenever i got stuck and relented to look up the solution I felt bad like i had cheated myself. I agree I love darksouls I feel angst when people jump to easy mode without even trying normal even though it has nothing to do with me. no I agree with you its the culture that likes handholding.

Woodsey:

rbstewart7263:

Woodsey:

Actually, no, the game wasn't designed with it in mind. I used it so infrequently that I often forgot I had it. It's there to be a help to those who need it, but it's just a tool. You can safely ignore it.

I think this might be another example of how a gaming company doesn't want to risk a new IP, so the game designers are forced to reboot an old one in order to try out a new idea. It reminds me a bit of Uncharted from looking at it in the review.

carnege4:

Copper Zen:

Lara unearthing fire breathing dragons?

Lemme guess: They did that somewhere, didn't they?

It's called Tomb Raider 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcAZAJH-e7Y

I-I didn't know. I was--I was joking!

There is no God.

Susan Arendt:

Read Full Article

So you've basically sold me on this game, but I have one question: Did anyone in the office play the PC version and, if so, is the game better with controller or mouse and keyboard?

Alternatively: Does the gameplay on the 360 version seem well-suited to M&K or is it a controller game all the way through?

Inquiring minds want to know.

"The Lara of the new Tomb Raider isn't the plastic princess that we're used to..."

What games were you playing? Because as a long time, female fan of the series I don't recall her ever being a plastic princess until Crystal Dynamics took over and started to put in their ideas of how women behave. I'm getting sick of all the slut shaming and bashing of the classic Lara Croft, it's all focused on her appearance like she had no story, history, or personality before. Yeah they gave her big boobs, her cloths weren't always realistic, but she was made of steel. She was intelligent, she was talented, she was brave. There were levels of her as a young girl, she had fear and inexperience, but it was balanced out by her confidence. She wasn't going to cower by the fire, crying to her mentor Werner about how scary tombs are with him trying to encourage her. He wouldn't even have taken her along and mentored her if she were like this. Why would she even ask. The original Lara asked tons of questions, learned, took a deep breath and went into the darkness, at times without her mentor around to help her. This new Lara Croft looks to me to be like a porcelain princess who needs a bunch of men to teach her how to be strong so she can carefully edge herself into the darkness. But oh god, there might be a big burly dude in there wanting touch her inappropriately.

The game sounds like it's suffering the same problems as Other M. I don't care if it's written by a woman, it makes no difference. I don't care if positive reviews are coming from women even. It's just making a bunch of men sleep better at night.

Of course it's realistic, lacking confidence and strength has always been realistic for women. It's always realistic for women to look to men for strength. Vulnerability is always realistic for women. They'd never do this to a male protagonist in a video game, because it'll take the power fantasy away from male players. Reviews keep saying, no video game protagonist has ever been shown like this. Well no shit, they're mostly male. It's not realistic or good for sales to have men shown as weak and having to have their hand held. Even the cover of Tomb Raider has her all curled up, with her head down like a little, shy girl who needs encouragement to come out of her shell. A shy girl who's been abused to hell and back by a nasty boyfriend and needs a nice guy to come lift her chin and say cheer up kid. I'm here for you.

No one would dare make a game like this with a male protagonist. It's easy to do it to a female protagonist because it's "realistic." I'm sick of it being "realistic" for women. Keep the new appearance, but bring back the classic Lara Croft who would've nerd the hell out when finding a creepy, dark tomb, instead of whine about it.

The Tomb Raider game I've been waiting for is long dead and buried under males gamers being too intimidated to try.

Susan Arendt:

Dahemo:
Rant over. Susan, you Cadillac of reviewers you, how would you want them to handle the combat/character problem? A stellar review as always...

You know, I don't have a good answer to that. If her gameplay development mirrored her character development, the game would have to play much differently, and while it might still be quite fun, it wouldn't be the adventure romp that we want it to be. And don't get me wrong, the combat is a lot of fun. I loooooooved pulling off headshots with my bow, and setting guys ablaze with napalm arrows. (Shooting guys off zip lines? The best.) So I'm not sure what the best solution would be. I love both halves of the game, and it's easy enough to mentally put aside the fact that there's really no reason for Lara to be such a good shot. As much as we want games to deliver good characterization and strong stories, we can't ignore the fact that they also have roles to play as games.

For that, I'd like to refer to the indie game Iji. Iji is a helpless girl thrown into extraordinary circumstances much like Lara and has to grow up very VERY quickly to face the challenges ahead. How her character develops depends on the player's playstyle in gameplay. If you choose the sneaky way, avoiding enemies and not killing anyone, Iji will reflect that in the cutscenes. Also, even when she does have to kill it's always with a regretting "No!" or "I'm sorry". If you go in guns ablazing, Iji will turn from a timid girl into a cruel terminator and in cutscenes it'll be her who suggests the aggressive options and while killing enemies it turns from a "sorry" to maniacal laughter. Thing is, the game is essentially linear so both "good" and "evil" go through the same plotpoints, it's just the main character that changes, yet it makes both playthroughs a delight.

Now, I understand that this is difficult to pull off in a AAA game (more animations, more cutscenes, more voice acting = HOLY SHIT EXPENSIVE) but Iji is still a good lesson to learn to make the character act like himself in gameplay. Making Lara (at least at the beginning) audibly and maybe visibly regret the killings (sobbing, apologizing to the corpses, visible cringing etc) and later on at least stop for an introspecting moment after taking out half an army might've made the inevitable difference not as jarring as mentioned in the review.

On a related side note: I'm so glad Tomb Raider turned out to be decent because I wanted it to be decent. Making her relateable is actually the one reason for me to get this game.

It looks good but from the few reviews I've read it sounds nothing like the Tomb Raider game I want :/ Will probably still pick it up but I'm not expecting it to have anything in common with what made me love the originals.

lots of reviews seems to give it a good score. we are discussing it a lot now in the TR forum.
and people asking about pc version, the specs are out:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=133428

well, still 6 days to go. :D

Doom972:
Why even call her Lara Croft? If they wanted to tell a new story in the Tomb Raider setting with a brand new character, then why didn't they just do it? She isn't anything like her except in her name: She doesn't act like her or sound like her and she barely resembles her.

While the new Lara might be good (some might like her better, which is fine), this seems like a slap in the face for everyone who liked Lara Croft and the Tomb Raider franchise before.

Simple.

If they had made this game without the Tomb Raider title, people would be calling it a Tomb Raider rip-off, and it'd be constantly compared to those games. The differences are enough to be noticeable to those who enjoyed the games, but they are also similar enough to have a lot of comparisons.

Then there is also the fact that brand name sells. Pretty much everybody in the "gaming world" has heard of Tomb Raider, even if they haven't played one. Games, as much as people like to pretend otherwise, are made to make money. This game has gotten a lot more pre-orders simply by being a Tomb Raider reboot, than it would have done if they'd called it something else.

That is not to say that I agree or disagree with the decision, but that's the reason why.

Well. Colour me as officially intrigued. Might have to pick this one up after I upgrade my rig.

It would've been interesting had they figured out some way to factor in the player's own actions to how battle-hardened Lara Croft becomes. For instance if you spend most of the game deliberately maiming enemies rather than killing them outright and setting them on fire like a gleeful psychopath you get a colder far more ruthless Lara Croft by the end of the game than if you actively steered away from unnecessary killings and only killed when you absolutely had to.

IronMit:

TsunamiWombat:
Don't buy the hype. I've watched streams of this game. This game is terribly bland, has shoehorned multiplayer, and while I LIKE that they tried to characterize Laura so we can see her grow from a normal person into this badass survivalist we all know, they kick it to the EXTREME side, making her an incompitant sack of potatoes that needs to get hauled around by her big strong manly mentor for the first half. Oh, and the rest of the cast is unlikable and stupid to the extreme.

I suggest waiting for more reviews to come in, particularly user reviews, before making your decision.

I'm going to wait for zero punctuation and maybe PC gamer. They labelled a recent gameplay reveal as '11 minute corridor of death' so I think I'm on the same page as them

edit. Ohh damn. check out machinima review of this game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWQMMlCCEuU

Can't take it seriously, he keeps calling her Laura.

It looks really solid, except I have one major gripe that's been noted in several reviews.

I *hate* when a game is disconnected from it's narrative.Stop being emotional when I've just slaughtered 100 bandits! Better yet, how about we don't need to kill 100 bandits in a game, maybe tone down the action into something more believable if you're going for a solid "realistic" character story. It's starting be a very jarring issue with almost all games today, it's like you can't call it a game unless you're able to commit mass-murder on your enemies.. why is that a requirement?!?

Every game wants to have a powerful, serious narrative and story, and on many occasions the games do just that. Problem is, when the cutscenes end, you're back to playing Contra..

Susan Arendt:

Woodsey:

rbstewart7263:

Actually, no, the game wasn't designed with it in mind. I used it so infrequently that I often forgot I had it. It's there to be a help to those who need it, but it's just a tool. You can safely ignore it.

I was speaking more to Hitman with that point, and SC: Conviction's whole "well, you don't have to use this mark and execute thing". It's just a problem with the "Just don't use it" excuse in general. If it's not the case here then fair enough, although I still find it irksome. We went an awful long time without the apparent need for poorly justified magic abilities.

The review doesn't say much about the gameplay in itself to be honest, apart from the fact that it's disjointed from the actual narrative and it seems nothing more than shooty shooty action with the occasional quirks and linear climbing sections. What is there more to this Tomb Raider really than something anyone could find in an Uncharted or an Assassin's creed when it comes to the tomb sections ? Are there multiple paths, replayability ? Or what about the use of stealth, or is there a way to bypass the game without using any weapons ?

Sounds rather similar to a recent game where a young person decided to live and fought back against the odds by gaining survival skills in the jungle...

... Far Croft 3?

The Wah:
Sounds rather similar to a recent game where a young person decided to live and fought back against the odds by gaining survival skills in the jungle...

... Far Croft 3?

I was hoping this new Tomb Raider would be Far Cry 3 but less brotastic. I was on the fence about trying out Far Cry 3, but after watching the Unskippable intro I don't think I could stomach it. A Far Cry 3 RPG would pretty much be my dream game - i.e. Fallout 3 with tightened up FPS combat.

Then, I remembered that Tomb Raider has always been a third-person platformer, so they wouldn't be anything alike anyways.

Also, quick question: Wasn't the 2006 reboot really well received? I remember playing about half of the first one and quite enjoying it. Did that all go to crap, too?

Susan Arendt:

You know, I don't have a good answer to that. If her gameplay development mirrored her character development, the game would have to play much differently, and while it might still be quite fun, it wouldn't be the adventure romp that we want it to be.

This is something that game designers HAVE to address at one point or another, because blatant disconnect between the cutscenes and the action is growing and is seriously jarring in modern games. Uncharted 3 was mentioned previously, but other titles had this problem as well. Mass Effect had the infamous "krogan cutscene death syndrom", where krogans were extremely tough according to lore and the gameplay - but fragile as china in cutscenes. GTA 4 had the problem of Nico "I just killed an entire population of Belgium" Bellic contemplating whether he is good enough to forgive a man, who betrayed him in the past. Hawk, savior of Kirkwall and one man/woman slaughterhouse? List goes on.

And I am sure this is solvable, as soon as the game designers will consider this problem worth solving.
Think of something: make armshots and legshots into non-lethal incapacitation of your enemies. Introduce panic - when you do kill an enemy - his comrades realize that **it trully hit the fan and are reduced to terrified messes. As an added bonus, you add more realism into the enemies. They are not mindless mooks, they are people. Evil people, but people none the less - who howl in pain when shot and who don't want to die.

I am not a professional game person, but I am sure you can make death meaningful in game again - and thus eliminate the narrative disconnect between the cutscenes and gameplay. Modern games are trying to introduce deeper and deeper messages... in cutscenes and lore that is.

nexus:
It looks really solid, except I have one major gripe that's been noted in several reviews.

I *hate* when a game is disconnected from it's narrative.Stop being emotional when I've just slaughtered 100 bandits! Better yet, how about we don't need to kill 100 bandits in a game, maybe tone down the action into something more believable if you're going for a solid "realistic" character story. It's starting be a very jarring issue with almost all games today, it's like you can't call it a game unless you're able to commit mass-murder on your enemies.. why is that a requirement?!?

Every game wants to have a powerful, serious narrative and story, and on many occasions the games do just that. Problem is, when the cutscenes end, you're back to playing Contra..

In this case, it was pretty easy to get it right... if they wanted to create a "Lara Croft that cares" all they had to do was copy the original Tomb Raider where you had like... 4 or 5 human antagonists and I don't even think you fought them all, don't really remember. The point is, she was alone most of the time. Yea sure, it had dinosaurs, lions, mutants and shit, but that was fine in the context of that game.

This game could have done the same thing only with an actual story, minus the dinosaurs. Drop her on this island all alone, with very sparse human encounters, so when she kills someone, it means something. How about coming up with a situation where Lara has to kill one of her friends to put him out of his misery or whatever.

Instead, it's all very "omg, I'm killing a deer, I'm a terrible person what am I doing..." then the cutscene ends and the game tells you "MAXIMUM DEER CARNAGE, KILL 3 MORE DEERS TO LEARN HOW TO KILL BABY SEALS" or some other nonsense. I hope I'll be proven wrong when I eventually play it, but judging by everything I've seen, this game is just a shooter where you can jump on things.

Wintermute:
In this case, it was pretty easy to get it right... if they wanted to create a "Lara Croft that cares" all they had to do was copy the original Tomb Raider where you had like... 4 or 5 human antagonists and I don't even think you fought them all, don't really remember. The point is, she was alone most of the time. Yea sure, it had dinosaurs, lions, mutants and shit, but that was fine in the context of that game.

This game could have done the same thing only with an actual story, minus the dinosaurs. Drop her on this island all alone, with very sparse human encounters, so when she kills someone, it means something. How about coming up with a situation where Lara has to kill one of her friends to put him out of his misery or whatever.

Exactly right. The original Tomb Raiders were sparse with the manshoot, and the games were indeed excellent. You spent the majority of your time hoping you didn't run into a bear or pack of wolves, or some unholy beast. I remember the human enemies always signified the worst part of the game, at least for me.

They did eventually start getting crazy in each game, really laying on the cheese... Area 51, nonsensical plots..

I feel the same way with Assassin's Creed, especially the third one. Several hours in and it's like.. I have killed too many people, this is absurd, I can't even take anything serious anymore. 12 hours in, and the world would start organizing a coalition to end the tyrant known as Desmond, aka Connor. But you get what you expect in a game called "Killing Creed", basically.

I would definitely like to play an old school Tomb Raider, a game where you get what you expect from the title.. not:
--"Tomb Raider-esque: Manshoot Deerhunter Sociopath"

TsunamiWombat:
Don't buy the hype. I've watched streams of this game. This game is terribly bland, has shoehorned multiplayer, and while I LIKE that they tried to characterize Laura so we can see her grow from a normal person into this badass survivalist we all know, they kick it to the EXTREME side, making her an incompitant sack of potatoes that needs to get hauled around by her big strong manly mentor for the first half. Oh, and the rest of the cast is unlikable and stupid to the extreme.

I suggest waiting for more reviews to come in, particularly user reviews, before making your decision.

Really? What streams? From whom? Of what parts of the game? I'm curious.

Agayek:

Susan Arendt:

Read Full Article

So you've basically sold me on this game, but I have one question: Did anyone in the office play the PC version and, if so, is the game better with controller or mouse and keyboard?

Alternatively: Does the gameplay on the 360 version seem well-suited to M&K or is it a controller game all the way through?

I'm sorry, I can't help you there.

Agayek:

Exactly my thoughts, I haven't been able to find a single review of the PC version, so I will resist the temptation to pre-order through steam. Unless some reviews of the PC version comes along soon, I'll probably hold out until it goes on some kind of sale.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here