Jimquisition: New Generation, Old Bullsh*t

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

New Generation, Old Bullsh*t

The PlayStation 4 was announced last week, but Sterling wasn't quite feeling the buzz.

Watch Video

gotta love those internet tough guys...

Hopefully things turn out well for the new console generation.

Don't worry Jim, I wont hate on you. I sat and watched the whole conference and felt pretty "meh" about it.

A great man once said "A new platform is only as good as its launch lineup" and the PS4 is certainly sounding like reheated leftovers at this point.

Most of what you said is precisely why I don't care about the next gen and why I probably wont even bother with it. My PC is still good without an upgrade for several years. So fuck em.

This ain't a new generation, justa facelift.

Thanks for that recap. I mean, it hits most of the griping points I have.

But at the same time, can we as gamers bitch about the lack of new "IP" (one of the most misused words this generation) when we reward this line of thinking by investing nothing into such new concepts and designs and instead buying the latest sequels sight unseen?

DVS BSTrD:

Not even a particularly good facelift.

Yay. Social media in my games. If I wanted that, I'd play Farmville.

Get me a version of Greenlight for the PS4 and I just might get one, It's the stagnation of AAA games that is mostly turning me off the gen consoles.

I agree and this is why I have all but decided to switch PC for all my gaming. And when that guy said that he would fuck you up, are you sure he was making a threat? Maybe he was just overcome with passion.

Jim Sterling, I agree with you 100%

Yeah that pretty much sums it up.
Also right with you on David Cage - the man is full of shit no two ways about it, the fact that anyone holds him up as some kind of great storytelling innovator in the industry is ridiculous. Heavy Rain had some of the worst writing pretending that it was good writing I've ever seen in a game.

Yeah, I can get the fact that the PS4 isn't backwards compatible with physical media of the past generations. It's really tricky to emulate a previous console because you have to cram the hardware of the last few consoles along with the new hardware.

But not tying the PSN accounts from the last two generations and not being able to carry over said account info with all the previously bought games and save data is just flat out WRONG. I hope to Jim that Sony fixes this issue before they release the PS4.

I'm not really looking forward to the next generation either. I think it's because I don't want to abandon my ps3 just yet.
Maybe I buy a ps4 when the slim version comes out.

:/ Eh. You pretty much retold what happened at the announcement(and the David Cage thing to). I feel about the same.
Hell, I have a friend who is a WAY bigger fan of Square Enix than I am, and even he said they fudged up their bit.

As for and David Cage, and Warren Spector talks. I think MovieBob did a good job with his overbites episode on them.
They are bring up the right topics that the games industry should be talking about, in the most pretentious ways, and for really bad reasons.

Thank God for you Jim.
:D Hope the next Aliens game is good!

A few generations back we had a game character in a rather good (if due to publisher involvement unfinished) game saying: "Apathy is Death". Apparantly, the game industry doesn't pay attention to the things their colleagues produce. And sadly, it seems not to Jim either ;).

Was...was that Jonathan Holmes? Everything else in this video is now meaningless, his glory (hole) wipes away any feelings of disappointment I might have felt for the PS4.

Zachary Amaranth:

DVS BSTrD:

Not even a particularly good facelift.

Yay. Social media in my games. If I wanted that, I'd play Farmville.

Shuhei Yoshida:
You can play offline, but you may want to keep it connected. The system has the low-power mode - I don't know the official term - that the main system is shut down but the subsystem is awake. Downloading or updating or you can wake it up using either the tablet, smartphone or PS Vita. You can go offline totally. Social is big for us, but we understand there are some people who are anti-social! So if you don't want to connect to anyone else, you can do that.

So yeah...

According to Sony use it or be Anti-social.

Invadergray:
A great man once said "A new platform is only as good as its launch lineup" and the PS4 is certainly sounding like reheated leftovers at this point.

Worse than that... Nothing looks like it COULDN'T have just been done in the PS3!

The PS4 looks a bit superfluous to me at this point... Even if Infamous looks like fun.

It's looking more and more like I'll just be sticking to my PC this gen in all honesty. If a lot of games come out on consoles that I really want I may buy into one of them, but it'll probably be which ever console is trying to fuck me less rather than which is "better".

Console gaming is already dead in the water. The WiiU was the last real game console. Everything from here on out is just dedicated PC boxes with off-the-shelf components optimized for gaming and media streaming, with only an OS/apps/games ecosystem to differentiate them.

cynicalsaint1:
Yeah that pretty much sums it up.
Also right with you on David Cage - the man is full of shit no two ways about it, the fact that anyone holds him up as some kind of great storytelling innovator in the industry is ridiculous. Heavy Rain had some of the worst writing pretending that it was good writing I've ever seen in a game.

Did it? I don't know, I couldn't get past the excruciatingly dull part (15 mins in) where you watch your kid do his homework and eat dinner. What an escape.

Yea, it felt like a Nintendo event: here's a bunch of games you'd expect and here's one you might not expect but probably played like a year ago on something else.

So...much...cynicism.

Can't say I blame anyone, though; I barely got into the last generation of consoles, so it's not too surprising this new one isn't exactly lighting my fire, either. The thing I actually find the most exciting is the imminent rise of mac and linux compatible games, and I don't even use mac or linux.

Ehhh I was interested but was left feeling a bit meh overall. I'm left feeling meh about consoles and even PC gaming at the moment. The AAA industry and the big business just isn't moving forwards and I'm tired of the pre-order culture and lies we get fed. I mostly play my games on handhelds at the moment because some interesting stuff happens there.

I'm likely not gonna bother this gen until I see some diversification, I don't want another generation filled with safe shooters with 5 hours stories (which GameTrailers laughably now considers to be an ample length for a single player story), and overpriced overhyped generic multiplayer, possibly with a gimmick but no creativity. Don't even need to upgrade my shitty PC at this rate because I have no desire to play Crysis, or Battlefield, I'm more interested in the quirky platformers and RPG's.

Edit: I'm not trying to be a cynical little fuck either I'm jsut burnt out on it. I've had enough of the same old stuff, the same old hype, the same old regurgitated rubbish.

New FF squeenix? Gee thanks but how about a new IP? How about something new and crazy? Remember when you made the first Kigndom Hearts and people were like "That'll never work!" and then it was fucking brilliant?

Assuming the Xbox 3 announcement event ends up like the PS4 one, I feel like these anti-consumer policies are forcing me onto the PC platform. I don't want a media box, I don't want social integration, I don't want kinect or move or waggle remotes - I want to play games without a hastle, and between the beginning of last generation and now there's been a complete 180 on which platforms make you go through a hassle.

Falseprophet:
Console gaming is already dead in the water. The WiiU was the last real game console. Everything from here on out is just dedicated PC boxes with off-the-shelf components optimized for gaming and media streaming, with only an OS/apps/games ecosystem to differentiate them.

Still another month till a game I want releases on the Wii U ._. NIntendo needs to pull it's finger out it's arse with that.

I was surprised to hear Jim describe the industry as stagnant. Because I thought I was the only one that actually felt that way. While it's mostly the fault of developers for not doing anything new or taking any risks it's also partly our fault as consumers for being content enough to buy the same thing over and over.

I hope Sony can manage to shake things up a little, they certainly were trying to with the Vita and for all its faults it is a fine piece of hardware. If Sony can manage to get more third party support and get a decent amount of the inevitably excellent Japanese library localized, they may just have the breathing space in the next generation to take risks and to convince others to do the same.

Hey Jim, all humour aside, did the parody of the announcement of the PS4 sum up pretty much all thoughts of the event?

In case you haven't seen it:

Maybe that threat was actually a Closet Case homophobe's version of a propersetion unless he ended it with 'no homo' then it wouldn't be.

I'm sorry I'm trying to be funny I don't know if I'm being homophobic by that statement, and I mean no malace to Jim

I knew there was something off about the PS4 presentation but I just couldn't put my finger on it. Thank God for Jim.

Hmm
I'm a bit on the fence about this one.
To be honest I believe that, more "mature" people like us, who have lived through generations of console systems will never get that same excitement as we got when we looked at our first few systems ( for me, I remember Soulcalibur, and I don't think anything will ever rival how excited I was about the game ), so yeah while I personally didn't feel much excitement about anything in the show, I imagine some over-excited kid who'se first console was a PS3, looking at the Killzone trailer must have just gotten his brain blown... SO I feel that we have to pick what to focus our attention on to find things to get excited about.

It's hard to deny that there is a huge area of the game industry profoundly stuck on a greedy protectionist stagnation. And I fully agree with you about the BULSHIT lack of backwards compatibility (and I genuinely feel that David Cage is actually one of the most damaging personalities to Videogames as a medium today; I have felt more emotion from Journey, silent hill, Shadow of the colossus, old Final fantasies and Portal than any of his games which are horrifyingly advertised as the pinnacle of gaming narrative).

But the thing is that as angry as I am about that area of the industry (as I am about the new Youngster Novelists producing onslaughts of teenage vampire werewolf romance stories, or the sequelicious Blockbuster Hollywood productions that have clearly run out of any sort of shame) I know that there are diamonds shining through, and they are more available to us in part thanks to some of these new technologies.

What I -did- like, was the inclusion of 2 rather indie developers in the show, and the implication that self publishing and independent dev IS viable. Which in turn could allow us, to bring more intimate, more interesting experiences to a rather powerful and promising system. I also found that there was an interesting focus on social aspects, which although don't appeal to me directly, could enable some rather nice opening for unconventional multiplayer options, and that, i'm rather excited for.

Anyway, I do agree, but let's hope for the best and look for it when it comes up..
Thank Dog for you ;)

Ps, You shouldn't really read so much from empty internet "threats", It's just people speaking thoughtlessly, without the restraints. In fact, I know it's not your intention at all, but by mentioning this "attack" you are validating the attention seeking intent of who probably is just an immature troll.

Pps, I found it funny how 2 of the games shown were spewing technology paranoia, and then the console is advertised as a machine that gets to know you and predicts your consumer habits... everything everywhere. Raise it up and feed of it I guess.

Wait wait wait wait wait...

A new Infamous? Really? The second one had such a great conclusion! Unless Cole isn't the protagonist this time, I don't think this is going to work out too well.

You know, the video game console industry has been largely the same old thing but with slightly better graphics since the NES days. Even when full 3d was added, it wasn't enough to really justify a purchase to my mind, so I haven't purchased a console, when it was new and current, since the NES. And even that purchase may have been ill-advised. Even if I allow that the PSOne era marked a significant change in the paradigm, it hasn't evolved significantly since. I failed to see what was so much better about the PS2 over the PS1 and the PS3 over the PS2.

So what's so special about the PS4, then? Prettier graphics, but is that all? Of course not, but most of the other improvements are not as noticeable as the graphics. Stuff like improved processing power and such that could allow for larger games and floopy wooby doo. But does this make for better games?

As the prostitute said to the young sailor, it's not what you've got but how you use it. What in the gameplay of any of these games simply could not have been replicated on the PS3 or the PS2 or even the PS1? Better graphics and computing power does not translate to better games. It seemed with the last generation that we'd hit a wall of diminishing returns where the amount of time needed to render the graphics led to shorter, smaller games that were not especially interesting when held up to older games in the same genre or the even the same series.

"Depth" is a word that gets thrown around without much meaning because it seems like no one understands it, especially those who make the games.

death to the console?

do you see that as a good or a bad thing?

As much as I don't give a flying fuck about consoles, I too am tired of this fucking industry.

It's grown old, fat and lazy, to the point where I almost wish it would just all collapse in on itself, so we could have a year or three of new people picking up the pieces, a couple of years to rethink how this entire thing works.

Oh and Jim, would you stop being such a whiny baby? This is the same kind of shit you pulled back during the Uncharted 3 review meltdown. Some wanker on the internet writing about how he'll totally shank you and fuck your mother does NOT constitute an actual threat, grow the fuck up.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here