Jimquisition: New Generation, Old Bullsh*t

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

WHAT?! Do you truly mean to say that I won't be able to play the PSN games I've already bought on PS4? I can understand it not being able to play physical copies, but digital as well? WHAT THE FUCK, SONY?! Have some fucking respect for you loyal customers, you fucking assholes.

I'm just glad that developers will no longer be forced to fit their games into half a gigabyte of RAM. I won't buy any of the new consoles any time soon (I bought my PS2 in 2005 and just got a PS3 during the Black Friday sales last year, and will probably follow a similar pattern with the next generation, if I decide to buy one at all) but since most PC games are also targeted at consoles having more powerful boxes hooked up to people's TVs effects everyone.

Personally, I think that the consoles that are really going to make waves this generation and define the direction of the industry going forward aren't the PS4, the WiiU or the next Xbox, they're the Ouya, the Gamestick and the Steambox. Consoles based on open standards (Android for the Ouya and Gamestick, Linux PCs for the Steambox) that anyone can implement, rather than a bunch of proprietary boxes controlled by their manufacturers. It's becoming increasingly obvious that needing to buy several machines that do exactly the same thing just because a piece of software you want is exclusive to one or the other is a practice that needs to die, and that the benefits gained by console makers being able to sell their hardware at a loss and make up the difference on software just aren't necessary anymore.

They should stall the release for two more years and give the developers the chance to prove they have the right to develop for the PS4. Show to us that you CAN think of new I.P.'s and that you can give us a product that might as well have been released on the PS3. Because, let's face it, most of what's been shown at this meeting might as well have been for a PS3 Slim Plus.

Overall, I agree. I wasn't really impressed by the reveal but you might be jumping the gun a bit there. It's still very early.
Watch Dog for example, while we already knew about it, it's still an interesting game. I think its success will be based on how scripted the game will be. Will we have as much freedom as they promise or will we have to do the missions in a certain way and it just basically plays like Assassins Creed with smart phones.
Also, I don't quite agree on the David Cage part. I don't really get all the hate for that presentation. When I watched it, it didn't seem to me like he said, good graphics is all it takes to show emotions. Just that it helps. Which is true and that's why I don't see why we can't have both. Just because he emphasised the graphics there, doesn't mean that the writing will be lacking. However, I agree that we probably won't see those graphics like that in games, I remain very skeptical.

One thing though, it's not just the devs who are afraid of change. While many gamers say that they want a breath of fresh air, in the end, most usually just end up buying what they know. People always expect a company to continue a franchise.
Old franchises is what Nintendo is known for, everyone always expects them to make a new Mario or Zelda or Pokemon game with only little changes.
The only way Valve could make CS2 would be to make an exact replica of 1.6 because even the smallest change will be disliked(ok, I guess this is an extreme example).
Or look at the fan reaction to the new DMC.
This isn't really a defense for companies, more a critique to gamers. Indie devs are really the only ones who bring new things to the industry and that's because they have to. They can't compete with the big dogs in similar franchises. While indie devs do have some success, with the exception of Minecraft, they generally don't really reach a very big popularity. Sure, there is stuff like Bastion and Limbo but those are just rare cases, compared to how many there are. It's still just a niche.
Anyway, point is, people want to play the same stuff and if you want to make money, you make the same stuff.

CrazyCapnMorgan:
Hey Jim, all humour aside, did the parody of the announcement of the PS4 sum up pretty much all thoughts of the event?

In case you haven't seen it:

That was actually pretty damn funny.

CrazyCapnMorgan:
Hey Jim, all humour aside, did the parody of the announcement of the PS4 sum up pretty much all thoughts of the event?

Ah, nertz...I was about to mention that! Dern ninjas...

Still...what Jim says kind of worries me. Are we perhaps seeing the death of the consoles and possibly the death of the video game market as we know it? I hope not...

Zeles:
Wait wait wait wait wait...

A new Infamous? Really? The second one had such a great conclusion! Unless Cole isn't the protagonist this time, I don't think this is going to work out too well.

The announcement makes it look like there is a new one. My money is far into the future or its an alternative timeline (or the original timeline where things took a lot longer to go to shit.

I'm hoping that there are just setting up IPs that did well for the starting line up and honestly I can't really blame them too much. Yes I want devs to explore as much as possible the new power and punch it to it's limits in new and exciting ways, however not everyone is going to want new IPs off the bat. What are people more liable to look at and buy on launch day? A game they never heard of or a game from a series that they liked in the past and is a safe bet. So I am really hoping that after the first wave of games that devs start pushing and challenging themselves or otherwise we might just have another flat year.

Also its bull that PSN accounts don't care over. Or at least the PSN games. I say that when the PSN games are compatible people with them tied to their accounts should get them for free.

I've never fully understood why people threaten others over the internet, especially threatening public figures (such as yourself) who may live nowhere near the douchebag. I can understand (barely) the sense of anonymity that gives some wankers the sense of empowerment to be total dicks with words. But threats of physical violence? Really? Unless you are some guy who's pissed off at me for sleeping with your girlfriend and you happen to live in the same town, threats of harm over the internet are just a waste of bits, if you ask me.

Meh.

I hear ya Jim, didn't watch the announcement but did read up on it a bit (I was to busy playing Warframe to be bothered :) )

And thus far, this is the only response I've really got right now

This is why the industry is all but dead to me. I just don't care any more. I don't give 2 shits about the next generation of consoles, I really don't. They can all go die in a fire for all I care.

Falseprophet:
Console gaming is already dead in the water. The WiiU was the last real game console. Everything from here on out is just dedicated PC boxes with off-the-shelf components optimized for gaming and media streaming, with only an OS/apps/games ecosystem to differentiate them.

The hardware components don't make or break a console. What makes a console is standard hardware and OEM certification for all games released on it.

Why would you expect lots of new games?

If it takes 2-3 years to make a new game and for that they need the console.

The WiiU being finalised for at most a year and the PS4 CPU's still not finalised I would not expect any "good" new games till christmas 2015 at the earliest.

Waaghpowa:
Most of what you said is precisely why I don't care about the next gen and why I probably wont even bother with it. My PC is still good without an upgrade for several years. So fuck em.

Agreed I don't see myself going out and buying a PS4 or new xbox at any point in the near future. It's hard to get excited about a new console when I remember the console I currently own was only turned on once this month because I remembered I left a dvd in it.

Holy crap, my sarcasm detector nearly exploded towards the end of that video.

As for the PS4, I at this point in time feel no excitement about it at all. I will probably end up buying one but it won't be for a year or two after it is released. That way they've hopefully fixed any bugs it has, stopped it imploding every time the cat looks at it wrong, is a fair bit cheaper and has a load of decent games for it. Until then, I'll stick with the PS3 (unless that dies).

I am curious why people think PSN games should work on the PS4 but not physical games, they both use the cell.

purifico:
WHAT?! Do you truly mean to say that I won't be able to play the PSN games I've already bought on PS4? I can understand it not being able to play physical copies, but digital as well? WHAT THE FUCK, SONY?! Have some fucking respect for you loyal customers, you fucking assholes.

Sony being loyal to it's customers??? Pftt are you kidding me still I'll give this console a chance in a couple of years when the work the problems.

Crono1973:
I am curious why people think PSN games should work on the PS4 but not physical games, they both use the cell.

It's not the cell that would be the main problem it's the root key/encryption key that is being completely changed. If i recall there was certain leak a few years back that opened the ps3 up for homebrew/modding and ability to play back-ups. Sony could not change this in the ps3 or psp/vita because it would render all previous software useless much like they are doing with the ps4.

Soon, Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo will go the way of Sega, Atari and so many more. Meanwhile Apple, Google and Valve are the future of living room gaming. So speaketh Reeve, inspired prophet of the Elder God.

I was rather underwhelmed as well. However, I'll say this. My console of choice for generation 7 was the Xbox 360, because at the time of deciding between it and the PS3 (I'd already brought and been disappointed by the Wii), the 360 was both the cheapest and came with the larger library of more exciting games. Since then, I've been happy with the choice I made. However, whether or not I go back to Sony again for the first time since the PS2 will depend entirely on what Microsoft plans to change about Xbox LIVE for the next generation. If the answer is 'nothing', then I'll welcome Sony back with open arms, because Microsoft are literally out of excuses to charge me money for a service that Playstation and PC gamers get for free. It's not like it bas back at Xbox LIVE's inception where Sony didn't really have an answer to it, so Microsoft could get away with charging for whatever they wanted for their shiny new toy. I will pay for online play or DLC, not for both.

Zachary Amaranth:

DVS BSTrD:
This ain't a new generation, justa facelift.

Not even a particularly good facelift.

Yay. Social media in my games. If I wanted that, I'd play Farmville.

Yeah I look at some of the differences in console cycles and realize just how much change there normally is and how this new generation is doing the same old crap.

Look at the SNES era games of cartidges with only 3 save slots most games to the psx/N64 which introduced ram upgrade, rumble pack, external storage called memory cards, games played on discs as well as the cartidges, and cutscenes. The Ps2/xbox era introduced the first multimedia look at playing dvd's as well as games, drastically different graphics, voice over, new and updated controls/input.

Of course we know what the ps3/wii/xbox 360 did different last gen.

However this gen there isn't really anything new. With more games coming to PC minus the few exclusives (most are not system sellers) that Sony and Microsoft have, this next generation I am not even remotely interested in.

The lack of BC is what really did it for me as well. Main reason why I bought one of the early fat Ps3's is because I gave away my psx, broke my ps2 recently at that time, and wanted a system that could play all 3. It was a GREAT investment and I never thought it was a waste. Now that Sony and Microsoft expect me to have 5 console systems in my room is just too much (have all 3 from last gen but at least WiiU is BC).

Jim nailed it. He's absolutely right.

Every time I get a pre-order for Destiny at work, which is surprisingly often, I just have to mentally roll my eyes, because we really do have no information about the game other than a paragraph of buzzwords like "interactive multiplayer" and "engaging environments."

It would be so simple to set up PSN's PS3 library for PS4, wouldn't it? If it would be exactly a PS3 with PS Plus and improved Network with that apparent doubling of power, I would buy the PS4 at full price. However, with so few games to be on PS4 next year compared to so many exclusives on PS3 today, I'm just going to get the PS3 this year instead of the PS4 next year.

Hey, it's Sony's loss.

bringer of illumination:
As much as I don't give a flying fuck about consoles, I too am tired of this fucking industry.

It's grown old, fat and lazy, to the point where I almost wish it would just all collapse in on itself, so we could have a year or three of new people picking up the pieces, a couple of years to rethink how this entire thing works.

All of this, I think it is time to stick to find a new hobby or stick with what we have while the industry stagnates and dies. The jump from each console generation was a pretty large leap in technology, ideas and types of games but this one feels like a step to the side with everyone sticking to what they know.
I think it's to soon for a new console generation, it feels like I got my PS3 only a little while ago and I still have plenty to play and do with it. When rumours of these consoles started popping up a few years ago I didn't feel excitement like when I heard about the PS3 and 360, it was a "Eh, that's nice but I don't care." feeling.

All I know is that I will not being buying any new consoles (except maybe a 3DS, handhelds are probably the future and show particular promise), I will probably build myself a PC and work on my massive backlog while the industry crumbles around us.

No it's not just you, I was sitting open armed at the new console generation announcements.

...And promptly crossed them after all the 'new' announcements, Welp PC old pal, looks like you're still in business for the interim. Hope you're ready to work, since the price of a new graphics card is all I'll need to see it through this generation I guess.

It's a facelift at best. Nothing innovative about any of this.
Feels like a cash grab, looks like a cash grab, so I'm treating it like a cash grab and supporting the medium I feel is going to give me my bang for buck and not stagnate as long as there's a million trapped bedroom nerds creating fantastic, cheap and even free content for it.

YES!, thank God for you indeed Jim, this is exactly how I felt about the announcement of the PS4 and exactly how I feel about the Wii U and whatever Microsoft concocts as an excuse for a "new console".

I already gave up a long time ago, I'm sticking to my trusty and good ol' PC, especially living in this country, where console gaming is a luxurity of maddening proportions, I already feel incredibly uncomfortable spending more than $20 for a 10+ hours single player game (even bought Skyrim at a discount).

Also, in this day and age where there are more and more quality F2P games, I hardly justify spending money in a game anymore (except for HIB games, wich are incredibly fun and refreshing).

purifico:

The PS3 PSN games are coded to run on PS3 hardware not PS4 so the only way to get PS3 games to run on the PS4 is to port everygame first! there is no other way apart from streaming like how onlive works.

It's the exact same thing Apple did when the mac's went from POWER (Cell is a POWER based CPU) to x86 and they told there customers if they wanted new software they needed a nex $1000+ Mac.

So...basically we're calling out Sony for what Nintendo has done almost every generation? Trotting out extensions of the same series.

Call up Nintendo! Turns out their fans don't actually want a Mario/Zelda/Metroid game. Because it reminds them too much of 1987.

GAunderrated:

Zachary Amaranth:

DVS BSTrD:
This ain't a new generation, justa facelift.

Not even a particularly good facelift.

Yay. Social media in my games. If I wanted that, I'd play Farmville.

Yeah I look at some of the differences in console cycles and realize just how much change there normally is and how this new generation is doing the same old crap.

Look at the SNES era games of cartidges with only 3 save slots most games to the psx/N64 which introduced ram upgrade, rumble pack, external storage called memory cards, games played on discs as well as the cartidges, and cutscenes. The Ps2/xbox era introduced the first multimedia look at playing dvd's as well as games, drastically different graphics, voice over, new and updated controls/input.

Of course we know what the ps3/wii/xbox 360 did different last gen.

However this gen there isn't really anything new. With more games coming to PC minus the few exclusives (most are not system sellers) that Sony and Microsoft have, this next generation I am not even remotely interested in.

The lack of BC is what really did it for me as well. Main reason why I bought one of the early fat Ps3's is because I gave away my psx, broke my ps2 recently at that time, and wanted a system that could play all 3. It was a GREAT investment and I never thought it was a waste. Now that Sony and Microsoft expect me to have 5 console systems in my room is just too much (have all 3 from last gen but at least WiiU is BC).

Your examples of big changes between generations is a little ridiculous.

-512 MB RAM to 8 GB RAM doesn't qualify as a RAM upgrade?
- They can't reinvent rumble and no one wants to go back to proprietary memory cards.
- We still have discs, cards and cutscenes.
- The PS2 didn't introduce multimedia, PS1 had CD playback as did other cd based consoles of the 90's.
- I don't know what you mean by drastically different graphics on the PS2, it's just improved PS1 graphics and the PS3 is just improved PS2 graphics and the PS4 will be improved PS3 graphics.
- Nothing new this gen? How about the touchpad on the PS4 controller? How about the touch screen on the Upad?
- I can assure you that most people's PC's won't be able to run games designed for the PS4.
+ I agree with you about BC.

Think I'll be giving this next "generation" a miss.

Had a great time with my XBox 360 whilst I had it, but now I've a list of games on my Steam wishlist as long as my arm - most of which are beautiful/clever indie titles for under $25 - and I just think "why bother with a console for the foreseeable future?"

You know what I never get sick of? People complaining companies they have no vested interest in are too risk adverse.

*barf*

Surprise???
While I am grateful to console gaming for attraction of new gamers, I hate it with insane rage for what it did to gaming
Maybe if gamers switch to PC for a generation or two it will be a good thing?
And unless MS pulls some insane stunt with new Xbox it seems the only safe space for those who want just play games will be PC
I don't want social crap, I don't want unnecessary 30min updates when I have only hour or to two play, I don't want move-y wavy gimmicks, I don't won't rent my gaming platform. I WANT TO GAME FOR FUCK'S SAKE!!! No more no less.

I'm glad i'm not the only one who though Cage was talking BS :)

I'm tired of have to either buy the game I already own, AGAIN, or keep a half dozen consoles hooked up to my tv. Thank goodness for steam.

CrazyCapnMorgan:

Ha! That's actually MORE honest and straight-talking than the real PS4 presentation. Pre-orders, non-playable demos that don't feature gameplay, trash-talking, no backwards compatability (not even for digital games from PSN?! WTF?!)?
I guess I'll say it: the more things change, the more they stay the same.
Oh wait, there's something new: it won't play used games. So new doesn't always mean good.

And I STILL don't know what it looks like!

"Mental sub normals", you had me laughing right at the start.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here