Reel Physics: Torque - Motorcycle Swerving

Pages PREV 1 2

i liked the episode being more about finding something to measure than finding something realistic.
and i should mention you guys turned tuesday into my favorite escapist video day.

Anakinnnn:
Can your mind handle the power of the Torque? Let's hope you guys have a better time than we did!

Thanks for watching and we look forward to your feedback and comments!

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

I don't suggest analyzing more of that movie, not with out a doctor present anyway, it'll hurt a lot if you think to hard on it.

Holy handgrenade Batman...
That intermission looked familiar...

Also... Those might be Loony toons physics...
Or possibly Disney physics..

spwatkins:
I was cringing every time they pronounced "myoo" as "moo".

We know how to pronounce it correctly in the physics world... we just think it's funnier to say it incorrectly lke the cow. It's really more like "myu" like a cat of course... but we have just been doing it wrong to see if any hard-core physics guys would come out of the woodwork and try to correct us. You are the first person here in the forums out of 11 episodes to actually mention it. There's not too many things we take very seriously... well, maybe the math part. ;)

Thanks for watching!

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

"That was actually really simple!"
...Yeah, well, screw you too!

Nitpick: the bullets being fired look to be full metal jacket, so copper-coated, not just "lead bullets".

I don't expect copper to spark against asphalt either, but anyway...

Marik2:

Assassin Xaero:

Marik2:

Is this that movie that had 2 girls with motorcycles and they were like like fighting on them?

You mean this scene? Yeah, it is.

Yup that, thought they would have focused on that

They should do it

After watching that scene, for some reason, I really feel like drinking a Mountain Dew or Pepsi. Can't for the life of me think why.

What would happen in reality is:
the guy sends his bike flying through the window
picks himself up from the floor, wipes the blood off his face and bandages the wounds
gets up on the scratched and deformed bike
impresses no one with the exhaust
gets onto the road
shoots vainly at the asphalt
crashes into a car
dies

Could I direct Torque 2? Please?

never saw this movie but i sure like to watch it one day. but by judging this scene, this movie surely breaks every rule of physics.

Gotta love the outtake where they succumb to some good ol' fashioned Beavis and Butthead comedy. "Huhhuh, Uhhhuhuhuh. You said "Blowing the guys"..."

Beyond that, this is all I could think of while watching this episode:

Anakinnnn:
We know how to pronounce it correctly in the physics world... we just think it's funnier to say it incorrectly lke the cow. It's really more like "myu" like a cat of course... but we have just been doing it wrong to see if any hard-core physics guys would come out of the woodwork and try to correct us. You are the first person here in the forums out of 11 episodes to actually mention it. There's not too many things we take very seriously... well, maybe the math part. ;)

Thanks for watching!

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

I hereby petition that we all start pronouncing it 'moo' until it becomes an accepted pronunciation, just takes time. Speaking of Mu cows, we want plushies!.

OK....
so the Muu/Moo thingy... what's up with that and what do you count when you count times muu something>?
I'm confused! I hit myself in my confusion

Funny episode thou, and haven't seen the movie...

About the movie stunt I want to hear about... still nothing, I need to watch some movies -.-
Would you do something that has with the human body to do? or do you want vehicles and stuff, because you did include a horse.

Ryoma_Nagare:
Ok guys just linked my account just to comment, and ask you to do this scene from TORQUE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxoVMuWkluA

you've probably been asked this before

My job here is done - Thank guys it was everything I hoped and more.

don't forget to do the Stealth scene next the one at the beggining where the guy dives his plane to lend more initial speed to his A2A missile.

That scene is ludicrous from the outset. I haven't seen (nor heard of) this film, nor do I know anything about it but I imagine one would need to leave their disbelief in a different building to even try to watch it.

Can we see something from BSG please!!?? Like the Galactica plummeting to the planet's surface to release the vipers during the rescue. Epic scene, I'd love to see the maths involved! :-D

Love the show.

ritchards:
When is the Mu Cow merch available?

I'm sure I saw that in a physics textbook somewhere.

Anakinnnn:
-snip-

Any chance you guys will be doing the Crazy Ivan scene from Firefly anytime soon?
I'd like to know whether Serenity continues on it's merry way, or throws the entire crew about the place and crashes because it's suddenly tried to reverse direction mid-flight.

Thanks

so, does anyone know how the intermission song is called?

Ryoma_Nagare:

Ryoma_Nagare:
Ok guys just linked my account just to comment, and ask you to do this scene from TORQUE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxoVMuWkluA

you've probably been asked this before

My job here is done - Thank guys it was everything I hoped and more.

don't forget to do the Stealth scene next the one at the beggining where the guy dives his plane to lend more initial speed to his A2A missile.

also in the movie torque? how much schlock is there in this movie?

Don Reba:
What would happen in reality is:
the guy sends his bike flying through the window
picks himself up from the floor, wipes the blood off his face and bandages the wounds
gets up on the scratched and deformed bike
impresses no one with the exhaust
gets onto the road
shoots vainly at the asphalt
crashes into a car
dies

Could I direct Torque 2? Please?

no. you clearly forgot the part where he does a backflip from a fighter jet and lands on a nuklear missile and repeatedly makes donuts with his bike on the missile until it changes directions back to the evil guys that launched it.

Anakinnnn:

spwatkins:
I was cringing every time they pronounced "myoo" as "moo".

Thanks for watching!

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

Ah, as long as you were doing it ironically. Never thought there would be a movie scene more ludicrous than the flying-cycles-through-the-trees on the moon of Endor.

kickassfrog:

Anakinnnn:
-snip-

Any chance you guys will be doing the Crazy Ivan scene from Firefly anytime soon?
I'd like to know whether Serenity continues on it's merry way, or throws the entire crew about the place and crashes because it's suddenly tried to reverse direction mid-flight.

Thanks

Not sure we can apply "known" physics to sci-fi settings... the problem is for us it will be a lose/lose regardless of our outcome. If we claim it's Reel, then someone will say "they aren't on Earth and the ship is made of special material and blah blah blah...." and if we say it's REAL, then we get similar answers saying there's no way because of pretty much the same reasons.
We may try to apply some stuff here and there to some sci-fi movies later with the assumption that we are using known physics with known materials based on Earth's gravity and so forth and so on... but once again, we face either outcome being arguable since that movie's universe can disprove us either way. We are toying with some ideas but for now we want to stick to movies that take place at least on Earth for sure... that way we can at least apply known physics. Superhero movies start to cause issues with things like the Avengers we did... where once again, the argument can be made that SHIELD is using unknown special materials to make the Helicarrier super-lightweight... so even there we are stretching things a bit. I guess it will depend on how far the audience is willing to go along with the assumptions we have to make at the beginning of the episode in regards to sci-fi universes.

Thanks for watching!
Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

Anakinnnn:

kickassfrog:

Anakinnnn:
-snip-

Thanks

Not sure we can apply "known" physics to sci-fi settings... the problem is for us it will be a lose/lose regardless of our outcome. If we claim it's Reel, then someone will say "they aren't on Earth and the ship is made of special material and blah blah blah...." and if we say it's REAL, then we get similar answers saying there's no way because of pretty much the same reasons.
We may try to apply some stuff here and there to some sci-fi movies later with the assumption that we are using known physics with known materials based on Earth's gravity and so forth and so on... but once again, we face either outcome being arguable since that movie's universe can disprove us either way. We are toying with some ideas but for now we want to stick to movies that take place at least on Earth for sure... that way we can at least apply known physics. Superhero movies start to cause issues with things like the Avengers we did... where once again, the argument can be made that SHIELD is using unknown special materials to make the Helicarrier super-lightweight... so even there we are stretching things a bit. I guess it will depend on how far the audience is willing to go along with the assumptions we have to make at the beginning of the episode in regards to sci-fi universes.

Thanks for watching!
Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

Awwww.
Oh well, your explanation is entirely reason, and I would like to at least thank you for bothering to read my post and acknowledge it, as well as explaining why it couldn't be done.

I'll still be looking forward to the next episode with interest.

I have a reel question for the videographers: can you get a good estimate on how fast the bikes were supposedly going based on car lengths and frame rates? Do the speeds make any sense? Are they at all self-consistent or do they vary wildly from shot to shot?

Is this film as terribly awesome as it looks?

OT - I laughed pretty hard at the start of this. Physics? What are Fiziks?

Street Hawk was completely plausible though right?

Kerric:
I have a reel question for the videographers: can you get a good estimate on how fast the bikes were supposedly going based on car lengths and frame rates? Do the speeds make any sense? Are they at all self-consistent or do they vary wildly from shot to shot?

Technically yes (but realistically no), consider they mentioned at one point a Bike traveled roughly 16ft in a single second (30 frames), that is a whopping 11ish miles per hour. But of course that was merely a one directional axis, which was across traffic.

Based on the frames they talked about, the Bike traveled what would be roughly a single city block (noted in the distance from one intersection to the next); being most likely 'LA, California' specific based on the filming locations. Considering the size of the city, the city block might be roughly 410square feet, which means the bike was traveling at 410ft per second, or 280ish miles per hour.

However, the bike in question is rated at topping at roughly 250mph (or 402kmh). Not to mention the absurd acceleration rate show in the beginning or the turn radius of being less than a single intersection at what amounts to be 280ish mph.

Not even counting the hopefully obvious physics issues of maneuvering a bike like that in traffic; but even if it could, no human reflexes would be able to first navigate successfully, nor withstand the sheer force the bike would have to exert to maintain stability in navigation at those speeds (it would simply throw you clean off).

Just in regard to shot composition (taking into consideration the second video shared by other members), how is it that the two girls in question did their stare-off in both voice and visual distance (reference the painfully obvious product placement) but then maintain a singular travel direction for the amount of time they fought on their bikes in the same damn scene? In the first "attack" they traveled toward each other in roughly a single second. Then suddenly the road stretched to accommodate a 30 second fisticuffs? No consistency whatsoever.

At least 'Ex Vs Sever' has a believable low speed Bike chase. Probably because the actors actually rode them, but it was still realistic!

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here