Far Cry 3's Citra Is Straight From the Freakshow

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Far Cry 3's "Join Citra" ending has its roots in stereotypes from the 19th century.

Read Full Article

Every time I see Far Cry 3's issues with race being discussed, I think of Prey, which somehow manages to sidestep its ridiculously stereotypical depiction of native Americans just by making the protagonist a native American too. Apart from avoiding the whole mightey whitey business, the native American protagonist permitted a lot of satire on the culture. He was this down to earth, modern, and fairly realistic guy who found the talk of "Spiritual ancestors" to be nothing but hokey and irritating. When it turns out he has magical ancestral eagle powers, he comments on how bullshit it all is.

So basically, Prey knew how to have its cake and eat it too. It portrayed noble savage stereotypes, but it did so through the perspective of a contrasting, realistic portrayal of a native American. Imagine how much of Far Cry 3's problems would go away if the protagonist himself was a modernised, every day guy who happened to be an expatriated Rakyat.

Lol, I'm amazed at people who have such a problem with Far Cry 3, ya it uses some well used tropes, of questionable origins. But you must remember the guy who tattoos Jason isn't a Rakyat any more than Jason is, he's an american he just went to live on this island. In fact everyone you end up fighting is a foreigner, except for Vaas. If anything I'd say this game highlights the issues with imperialism more than anything.

After reading through this I don't really understand why is, which I agree is probably racist, origin/trope of the story a problem if the rest of the game is not really about racism, but just a set up for the gameplay? Me thinks you are reading a bit too much into it.
There are some stories and themes that are allegories and metaphors, but I seriously doubt that's the issue behind a game where you kill that many people and get experience points for it. It is not as in the story and of the sides is in the end shown to have moral high ground, it's just a twist ending.

So a person uses a knife -> that's a phallus substitute? I thought knife was used as a blade with a handle which makes sure you don't cut yourself while you kill/cut/carve things, and used by men and women. I guess I'm the one that's weird.

What always strikes me about the intention of Far Cry's narrative being satire is that I never noticed any of that during my playthrough - nor did I pay the racist implications much heed.

It's a video game. I'd start noticing only if the narrative wasn't absolute and utter garbage. Judging by the general standard video gaming has set for itself one finds it hard to believe that writers suddenly are capable enough to imply -anything-.

Racist themes of "mightey whitey" also were softened considerably by gameplay. It gets a lot easier to go along with people wanting you for their army when your biggest redeeming feature isn't that you're white, but that you've been single-handedly slaughtering entire camps of well-armed pirates for the last four hours of gameplay.
I'd -really- would have loved it if the game actually let you be a vulnerable guy in the jungle, trying to not get eaten, shot, poisoned, or otherwise die horribly. At that point you could actually craft meaningful satire about them still wanting you, merely because you're "the white guy".

As it stands any cliches about the white guy leading the noble savages are far overshadowed by this Rambo on steroids who would genuinely qualify as deity to any straight-thinking semi-tribal society.

I mean, c'mon, I started punching sharks to death whenever I was bored.

"Hipster Racism"
xD HA!

Thanks for the little history lesson Rath!
I got to say, this whole article just keeps reminding me of my R.E.D.(Race, Ethnic, Diversity) studies class.
Hearing what the real islanders are like really makes me wish Far Cry 3 was more about them instead of all the fake stuff they had.

Oh well. There's always next time I guess.

Meh, sounds like typical liberal BS to me.

Let me be painfully honest here, there is a tendency in the western world to want to portray whites and every aspect of our civilization as negative. Pretty much every historical event or point of view is tainted by the desire to re-interpet every culture or group of people that wound up coming into contact with, or being conquered by, the western world, in some kind of ultra-progressive "noble savage" light when it's hardly true.

Now there is some truth to the fact that stories, especially those told for purposes of entertainment, are exagerrated to make them more entertaining. There is no denying that, but at their core there is usually far more truth than lies. To be honest while racism was more prevelant at the time (and went both ways), the reasons for exagerrating contacts with backwards savages (who were backwards savages in reality) was done for the same reason people exagerrated the exploits of famous outlaws and gunfighters... it makes for a good story. Just like your typical famous gunslinger didn't really kill a thousand men (which would be the case if you believed the stories) and oftentimes had motivations other than just "killing people just because", some of the specifics of what these native tribes did were not accurate. Of course at the same time if you've ever seen many documentaries in many cases what they did was actually WORSE, in a "truth is stranger than fiction" sense.

To be honest showing a group of tribals as the bad guys nowadays is differant, the noble savages turning out not to be the expected trope, but something a bit closer to old school stories. It's no worse than a story where a bunch of quakers turn out to in reality be a Satanic Cult at the end of the third act.

The basic arguement here seems to be that primitive peoples and non-whites should be considered a "sacred cow" beyond criticism or negative portrayal. I disagree with that, and I think a game like "Far Cry 3" creating a sort of contextual satire by doing exactly the opposite of what we have trained ourselves to expect is a good thing.

In a big picture kind of way I'd also point out that a lot of the problems in the third world largely come from the whole "noble savage" mentality and how we've trained ourselves. We basically convinced ourselves that the big thing holding back a lot of countries and Africa and such was the presence of western culture and colonialism. We largely pulled out, helped rebels, and other assorted things, and in 90% of the cases we actually made things worse. We removed what stability (as borked as it might have been) from the regions, and simply saw even more horrors and depravities unleashed as tribal factions and warlords took over and started butchering people non-stop. Even guys like Mandela arguably made things worse, and he's actually in one of the more stable regions.

In making cases like this people tend to avoid looking at the glories of "tribals" with warlords and child soldiers, middle eastern tribals stoning women to death for not marrying their rapists, and one current case where a girl who was raped has been sentenced to 100 lashes for her "crime". "Wierd News" at one point was going on about how in the Pacific Rim they wanted to make (get this) cannibal Tofu, the idea being that they would take cloned or donated human flesh and use it to flavor the tofu for use in pacific rituals and so on due to the importance once placed on "Long Pig". I remember once a while back hearing about how some tribe had a couple of kids in charge of their armies in Africa that they believed were literally divine as well.

The point being is that this crap is out there if you dig for it, it just tends to be forgotten in cases like this when someone wants to make a point. The odd thing here is that if you happened to land on a pacific island chain right now that was engulfed in war, lawless enough where pirates attack ships left and right because there is nobody to stop them, what is a tribe your likely to meet going to be like? A group of progressive new-millenium hippies leading a new age "noble savage" lifestyle, or a bunch of murdering maniacs like everyone else (which also explains how they survive). In reality in situations like this there are no real "good guys", and that's what I think the point being made in "Far Cry 3" is, and why it's a Satire on modern conventions and expectations, this is exactly the opposite of what you'd expect, and also exactly what you might find in a situation like this viewed a bit realistically. Sure, maybe this isn't 100% accurate to Pacific Islanders living peacefully in some of the more civilized US Territories (American Samoa, Hawaii, etc...) but we're turning this into thirld world "warlord ville" and yeah, it's exactly the kind of insane garbage I'd expect under those circumstances. I mean cripes...

In short I find nothing wrong with "Far Cry 3" and I think these kinds of complaints are generally BS nowadays.

This kind of thing is why Critical Intel is probably one of the greatest game-related columns I've ever seen. I wish it could be a daily thing, but given how much research has to be done, I bet that wouldn't be possible without it being a full-time job.

Seriously Robert, every day that the collective gamers of the English-speaking world aren't throwing enough money at you to try and get you to make this your full-time job is gaming's loss.

And all previously-posted "It's just a game, why are you thinking about it?"-type comments... those are really gaming's loss. It's sad that in one of the most fundamentally important media to emerge in our lifetimes, people who don't want to think about deeper ideas don't just avoid discussions, but complain about people having discussions.

Therumancer:
Meh, sounds like typical liberal BS to me.

In other words, reality.

Really, reading this intelligent and well-sourced article on the nineteenth-century sources of racist narratives involving Pacific Islanders as an attempt "to portray whites and every aspect of our civilization as negative" almost seems like a Colbert-worthy satire on the modern American Know-Nothing movement (look it up, you might learn something - although that's doubtful).

Therumancer:
Let me be painfully honest here, there is a tendency in the western world to want to portray whites and every aspect of our civilization as negative.

Sorry, I'm a grad student in the heart of liberal academia. This claim is one-hundred percent bollocks. Passing off "acknowledging past wrongdoing" as "portray[ing] whites... as negative" really gives away your agenda.

There is no denying that, but at their core there is usually far more truth than lies.

You're now giving away the fact that you didn't even read the article, as Rath says quite clearly that the stories in question were completely made up.

The basic arguement here seems to be that primitive peoples and non-whites should be considered a "sacred cow" beyond criticism or negative portrayal.

Rath said nothing of the sort. Please read the article again.

Therumancer:
Sure, maybe this isn't 100% accurate to Pacific Islanders living peacefully in some of the more civilized US Territories (American Samoa, Hawaii, etc...)

Your arrogance and ignorance are truly astounding to behold. Well done.

Well, they sure sucked the fun out of that poem. Or game, as the case would seem to be here.

Way to over analyse the situation.

At the end of the game, I just thought Citra to be a bit bananas really. After all, if she wanted a child born form the union of her and Jason that badly, wouldn't it have been wise to maybe not kill him until the child was afely born into the world? After all, they are hardly within convenient travelling distance of the nearest hospital on the Rook Islands and if there are any complications along the way. It would be rather hard for her to get Jason to make her another child, given that she'd killed him straight after sex. That is, if she even actually conceived the first time around.

I think it's worth remembering that there is a vaguely supernatural idea that the island just drives people insane anyway. If Vaas and Citra are siblings (which seems pretty confirmed by now), it could be that Citra came and did enough impossible/dangerous things to be made the Rakyat's queen/whatever. She goes mad with power and starts to re-introduce ideas she half-heard once about south pacific islanders, even if the Rakyat themselves might not have done that since a few centuries.

Imp Emissary:
Hearing what the real islanders are like really makes me wish Far Cry 3 was more about them instead of all the fake stuff they had.

Thing is, even the authentic stuff they used was a fucked up mix of various Polynesian cultures, some Melanesian cultures and even some scraps taken from a couple of indigenous Indonesian tribal cultures.

Imp Emissary:
"Hipster Racism"
xD HA!

"We're lynching you ironically."

Katatori-kun:
This kind of thing is why Critical Intel is probably one of the greatest game-related columns I've ever seen. I wish it could be a daily thing, but given how much research has to be done, I bet that wouldn't be possible without it being a full-time job.

Seriously Robert, every day that the collective gamers of the English-speaking world aren't throwing enough money at you to try and get you to make this your full-time job is gaming's loss.

And all previously-posted "It's just a game, why are you thinking about it?"-type comments... those are really gaming's loss. It's sad that in one of the most fundamentally important media to emerge in our lifetimes, people who don't want to think about deeper ideas don't just avoid discussions, but complain about people having discussions.

This. Unfortunate implications are still unfortunate implications, even if it's 'just' a game.

It saddens me. The Escapist used to be a place where intellectual analysis of games wasn't just encouraged, it was almost the norm. Nowadays, it seems like there are more and more users who simply go "Jeez, stop overanalyzing everything. It's totally, like, whatever."

This is an incredibly well done, thoughtful analysis, and it's just one more reason why Far Cry 3 creeps me out a little. The game seems to deliberately and gleefully hop back and forth across the line of good taste, without having anything to say. Good satire has to tell you something. You can't just poke fun at old tropes and expectations, you've got to have something to offer as well. And Far Cry 3 just seems to enjoy poking fun at the White Jesus trope whilst making unfortunate implications about rape and racism.

So how do you subvert AND satire such a thing? I mean you can not satirize it and have respect for the culture and all that but then your not satirizing. Sounds difficult.

also Robert another theory is that he had a story to tell and the racist undercurrents were either there and he did not notice.

or he had a story to tell and the racist undercurrents were in the way but he went ahead and went that route either way.

I wont judge him for that I can understand wanting to tell a story of one yup's fall to baser instincts and then finding that you either keep that and your story is sort of racist. Or you scrap it and then that narrative that you wanted to explore is gone.

Katatori-kun:

Sorry. What. WHAT are you talking about, man?! This entire article made no sense! I never saw the Rakyat as even close to any of the stereotypical tribesmen - neither barbarians nor helpless - I just saw them as thugs. Just like the pirates. Y'know the total lack of difference between Rakyat warriors and Vaas' pirates.

Citra being reminiscent of a 19th century freakshow because of the Tattooed Man's origin stories...? I don't get it. I don't get it at all. Look at Citra's brother. Where are the articles denouncing him as a racist stereotype? Or is it just because Citra stuck with the tribe...? I really don't understand. Dennis was the one tattooing J-Bro without his permission, yes...but Dennis was a Liberian. Not a native. Dennis, from his introduction, was the champion before J-Bro arrived on the island...evidently Citra just wasn't satisfied with him.

But this research? This isn't research. This is "I read an article about tattooed men and it reminded me of Far Cry". Maybe there'd be something in the 'symbolic rape' if actual rape granted superpowers. It doesn't. So there isn't.

The extent to which some of the folks responding to this article don't just miss the point but purposely avoid it is... well, I WANT to say "astounding," but I'm afraid it's far too predictable if I'm being honest. :|

When I realized that particular sex scene was about to end badly for Jason, I didn't start thinking about Pacific Islanders. I know jack-all about human sacrifice in the South Pacific. Instead I started thinking about Theseus and ancient Greece, because I read The King Must Die in high school and it's been my blood magic touchstone ever since. If this particular form of fertility ritual is a universal construct, then there's no harm in showing any culture employing it.

Rook Island drips with imperialism and it is difficult to separate ham-handed satire from genuine ignorance, but that knife in your chest during the "bad" ending is the least of the game's sins.

How could would a better use of these tropes look like?

Frankly, the forest of obscure and insulting racist tropes is extremely thick. To make matters worse, it is densely interwoven with the usual tropes of many adventure stories from the same period of time.

Taking that into account, it always seems kind of unfair to me to criticise this kind of media for racist tropes.
I mean really, what choice is there? If you display natives as in any way positive, you are playing into the noble savage trope. If you are displaying them as in any way bad, you are promoting the idea of the superior white man. If they are just kind of there, you are doing that Joseph-Conrad-Thing, where the natives are just the colorful backdrop for whities joyfull adventures.

I don't see any way you can tell a story that involves a native population without stepping in anyone of the dozens trope-traps.

My god, there is no satisfying political correctness obsessives like you. Oh noes, sexualized savages - magic negros - token black guy - stereotypical noble savages - dark skinned enemies, how racist - white main characters, racist! You may as well link to TV Tropes and list the hundreds of ways you will never, ever be satisfied.

So a bad ending takes its material from something which was bad, punishing you for revelling in it?

Ban this sick filth! Seems quite appropriate. Though this being harmless fiction, there'd be no problem if the good ending was obtained by revelling in it either. In games which are already about shooting people in as many new and interesting ways as possible, defying a few other conventional ethical standards for which fantasies are acceptable to act out have no relevance.

Those who'd have a problem with it could simply look elsewhere, as it's none of their business what games other people choose to enjoy in their spare time and the privacy of their own home. As is, somebody was offended by a fictional game nobody forced them to play, then set out to post that offence on the internet.

Strip away the references to the sins of long dead fathers, anthropology, and cultural relativism which motivated said offence, and that's what remain. I always found this staggering lack of respect for the plurality of available media quite staggering. God forbid there be fictional media targeting audiences with taste quite different from their own, if it offends the delicate sensibilities, or political ambitions for which direction society should move in. And of course players other than themselves won't understand any subtle critique, but fall prey to the surface level archaic racist caricature. God forbid there be games which actually required effort on the part of the player to decipher, and had multiple layers to them, some of which weren't afraid to challenge and play around with established norms!

Okay, here's my problem with this article: The real group he mentions at the end, if used in fiction, sounds MORE RACIST THAN THE FICTION IT'S REPLACING.

8-Bit_Jack:
Okay, here's my problem with this article: The real group he mentions at the end, if used in fiction, sounds MORE RACIST THAN THE FICTION IT'S REPLACING.

Funny how reality works, isnt it?

I also feel bad about chuckling while reading the part about the John Frum religion.

Bah! The only way a game can let someone shoot at other living things and not get called racist is if the people involved are all the same color, or they are quasi-human like Gears or Killzone. They make a skin tone mod for the PC to shade down the pale man and make it ok. Heaven forbid a story about drugged out people acting crazy have more than one skin tone...

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Katatori-kun:

This. Unfortunate implications are still unfortunate implications, even if it's 'just' a game.

It saddens me. The Escapist used to be a place where intellectual analysis of games wasn't just encouraged, it was almost the norm. Nowadays, it seems like there are more and more users who simply go "Jeez, stop overanalyzing everything. It's totally, like, whatever."

This is an incredibly well done, thoughtful analysis, and it's just one more reason why Far Cry 3 creeps me out a little. The game seems to deliberately and gleefully hop back and forth across the line of good taste, without having anything to say. Good satire has to tell you something. You can't just poke fun at old tropes and expectations, you've got to have something to offer as well. And Far Cry 3 just seems to enjoy poking fun at the White Jesus trope whilst making unfortunate implications about rape and racism.

and incest and incestious old tribe rites. listen closely what she has to say about her brother at the second ending.
okay, it can also be put in the racism basket..

WanderingFool:

8-Bit_Jack:

Funny how reality works, isnt it?

I also feel bad about chuckling while reading the part about the John Frum religion.

my point was that it undercuts the idea behind the article. He offers it up as an alternative to the unacceptable story, but it's so bizarre that it sounds like something you'd find in a cartoon. from the 1900s

8-Bit_Jack:

Agreed. If the natives had began worshiping Jason as a messenger from their ancestors and marveling at the splendors of modern technology he brought with him, they would have been accused of being really really racist. But this stuff actually happened!

I never saw the setting of Far Cry 3 as authentic, or anything other than a backdrop for extremely fun stealth/shooting gameplay. You could argue that a game favoring fun over political commentary would call for an unrealistic, overexaggerated setting like Rook Island, but I do understand that some people aren't educated enough to grasp beyond the exoticized view of foreign countries, and I think this game really missed a chance at presenting something unique by subverting the standard tropical-island-tribal tropes.

If the game was going for satire, I think a better satire would be a game where the main character is a native islander stranded in some city representing EVERY worst aspect of the Western world, or a game where the main character comes in thinking that it's going to be another tropical island adventure only to have his perceptions bite him in the ass (i.e. Spec Ops the Line.

RhombusHatesYou:

Imp Emissary:

Thing is, even the authentic stuff they used was a fucked up mix of various Polynesian cultures, some Melanesian cultures and even some scraps taken from a couple of indigenous Indonesian tribal cultures.

Have not played the game, but if that is so, well that's a bit sad too.

RhombusHatesYou:

Imp Emissary:
"Hipster Racism"
xD HA!

"We're lynching you ironically."

"Well, that well be just GREAT."

Shjade:
The extent to which some of the folks responding to this article don't just miss the point but purposely avoid it is... well, I WANT to say "astounding," but I'm afraid it's far too predictable if I'm being honest. :|

It is also interesting how people seem to thing Rath also thinks there is nothing good about the game just because it has some racist stuff in it.
Even though he calls it "fearless and fun" at the start of the article.

Imperator_DK:
So a bad ending takes its material from something which was bad, punishing you for revelling in it?

Ban this sick filth! Seems quite appropriate. Though this being harmless fiction, there'd be no problem if the good ending was obtained by revelling in it either. In games which are already about shooting people in as many new and interesting ways as possible, defying a few other conventional ethical standards for which fantasies are acceptable to act out have no relevance.

Those who'd have a problem with it could simply look elsewhere, as it's none of their business what games other people choose to enjoy in their spare time and the privacy of their own home. As is, somebody was offended by a fictional game nobody forced them to play, then set out to post that offence on the internet.

Strip away the references to the sins of long dead fathers, anthropology, and cultural relativism which motivated said offence, and that's what remain. I always found this staggering lack of respect for the plurality of available media quite staggering. God forbid there be fictional media targeting audiences with taste quite different from their own, if it offends the delicate sensibilities, or political ambitions for which direction society should move in. And of course players other than themselves won't understand any subtle critique, but fall prey to the surface level archaic racist caricature. God forbid there be games which actually required effort on the part of the player to decipher, and had multiple layers to them, some of which weren't afraid to challenge and play around with established norms!

So, nobody will be offended as long as we get rid of all the context of what the story means in realtion to real life?
How do you want us to do that, and still be able to "decipher" games?
Just because something is fictional dosen't mean it can't be offencive. The movie The Birth of a Nation is completely fack, as are the stories Citra's character is based on. That dosen't make them meaningless. And the meanings(messages of the stories) behind both are offencive.

If you want different games we need more people to look at games on deeper levels, ask what they mean, and ask for more attention to be put into the meaning of a game. Also, as I(and more importantly Rath) said before, just because a game has some questionable content (in this case a character made into an old time stereotype), that does not mean the whole game is bad, and it doesn't mean the game shouldn't be aloud to exist if it has such a flaw. Why get so mad at Rath if you want games "which actually required effort on the part of the player to decipher"? That is what he is doing. What we find when we decipher a game won't always be good things.

Also, how is making a character into a sterotype "multi-layered"? Isn't using sterotypes the opposite of being multi-layered?

While not exactly pertaining to the same region, here's a little something that Mr. Rath will no doubt see as racist, because you know...everything is.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.402210-Indonesian-mother-kills-son-over-small-penis

Lonewolfm16:

8-Bit_Jack:

Agreed. If the natives had began worshiping Jason as a messenger from their ancestors and marveling at the splendors of modern technology he brought with him, they would have been accused of being really really racist. But this stuff actually happened!

Yeah but then they could have given it a Captain Cook ending.

"Hey, you're not a god after all!" *sharktooth club to the head*

The moral being to tell Hawaiians you're not a god no matter how much they insist that you are... also that history hates Yorkshiremen.

Robert Rath:

Far Cry 3's "Join Citra" ending has its roots in stereotypes from the 19th century.

Read Full Article

Your articles are always well-written and well thought through, so I applaud you for that, even if in this case I beg to differ.

Is it not true that the more modern trope of the 'noble savages' is in its own way just as stereotypical as the earlier 'tattooed man' freak-shows. The 'noble savage' having its own (I find at least) particularly insidious brand of patronizing racism, where people try to hard to apply anthropomorphic qualities onto already human cultures as if they were a different species. That's what Jason sees in the Rakyat, and throws away everything he has to obey them without question. Getting his just desserts in the end for it in that end I don't think should be interpreted as 'Those kooky savages with their human sacrifices eh?' but rather 'all peoples of this earth have the potential to be cruel and manipulative, and you shouldn't be so naive as to believe you're fighting for a higher cause just because a pretty woman can spout some bullshit about warriors and spirituality'.

Also, when it comes to him obeying Citra without question, Far Cry 3 not only satirizes the 'rescue the princess' trope, but also it's peers in the current generation FPS genre, where you obey the voice of authority in your ear as he barks at you to commit war crimes, because you're, like, the good guys right? The fact that he acts like this makes him not the 'mighty whitey' at all (subverting that trope as well) because he willingly relinquishes power over his own situation. He gets raped, and his response to it pretty much is "So... are there any chores you need me to do while I'm here?"

Solid critique, right up until mentioning the cargo cults at the end. While I agree that they are fascinating, they're such a fringe minority that including them in this discussion is pretty odd.

Some of the comments above are breathtakingly stupid, but thanks at least for helping me shade the "typical liberal BS!" "it's satire!" "it's just a game!" and "stop overanalyzing everything!" squares in my Dumbass Internet Comment bingo today.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here