Calling a Kid the "C" Word

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

If you're going to say nasty things about a nine-year-old, you have to do it right.

Read Full Article

They shoulda used a different word.

Wow, this really stuck a stick in your craw. It's not often we get a special video or article from you outside of a major release.

On topic, I agree that it was an extremely poor choice and believe that the Onion really should have not posted the tweet. I personally despise Twitter both as a concept and in practice and it's this kind of digital catcalling that hardens the cement of my opinion. While the best satire is indistinguishable from the real deal, the problem is that this was a case of an unacceptable phrase (the US version of the word "cunt") combined with a completely unacceptable target (youngest actress ever nominated at 9-years-old, black, girl, etc.). Quite literally, anyone else in that audience in LA would have been a more acceptable target than her, even if it would dull the satire.

To be honest this is all a bit of a storm in a teacup but yeah, the joke just doesn't really work. That said, about the bullying charge I doubt the girl would have ever known about it if the media hadn't made such a fuss, come to think of it I wonder if she even knows now? I've got a sister of a similar age and she doesn't use twitter or the news online, I suppose her parents might have to tell her though... that would be an awkward conversation.

Here's my question: Was she a cunt?

I ask this because honestly, if she behaved in a way that would classify her as a cunt, then in my opinion there is no problem saying it.

"The indignation of a pie in the face is only funny if the face belongs to someone with dignity..."

Was this an intentional quote of Krusty the Clown, Bob? And should I start calling you SideshowBob now?

OT: This is the first I've heard of any of this. And, yeah, I honestly think that people trying to be funny through Twitter or other online facets with the minimal context stuff like Twitter provides doesn't really work... especially for stuff like this. There's so little effort and you really have to read between the lines thoroughly to really get at what they're saying. In short, delivery is everything, and trying to deliver a good joke through Twitter doesn't always come off great.

JaredXE:

I ask this because honestly, if she behaved in a way that would classify her as a cunt, then in my opinion there is no problem saying it.

A) No she didn't.
B) SHE'S FUCKING 9! Do you make it an habit to go around insulting 9-year-olds?

ShadowKirby:

JaredXE:

A) No she didn't.

Even the author wasn't exactly calling her that, it was satire.

Here a more important question: Were any non-feminist onion readers offended?

ShadowKirby:

JaredXE:

A) No she didn't.

I call my six year old nephew a little git when he's acting like one(not to his face obviously). So yeah.

OT: It's difficult to consider the big deal about the word chosen, as like the article said in the UK 'cunt' is just a general, quite strong non-gendered insult.

Far as The Onion's conduct goes, they clearly crossed a line in an attempt to be funny and outrageous. Not much else to say.

Isnt calling a girl a cunt the same as calling a boy a dick? Of course none should be said to a kid but yeah, I know that a lot of boys are dicks from my school experience, hell... even I was a dick.

More on-topic: Its amazing how some people cant take a joke, and if the girl finds out about this then it was proably through adults that could actually explain the joke and that it is a "fake" sentence.

Baldr:

ShadowKirby:

JaredXE:

A) No she didn't.

Even the author wasn't exactly calling her that, it was satire.

Here a more important question: Were any non-feminist onion readers offended?

Why would feminism even get tied into this? I mean I know it's the hot topic these days but it offended me. Now don't get me wrong, while the joke is offensive I wouldn't call for it to be deleted or censored.
The other issue, apart from it's offensiveness, was the issue of how well it worked as a joke, what I got from Bob and the Onion's statement was that it just didn't work as a joke, again I wouldn't censor or delete it, but to me it's unfunny, offensive, and not really a good parody (albeit I see the thought behind it).
The Onion isn't perfect, flops like this will happen, I know I've told my share of jokes I wish I could take back, thats just life in the world of cutting comedy, sometimes you go to far and you look like an ass.

It reminds me of the time when I sent out my wedding invitations to my family then requested a roll-call of who received the invitations and adding at the end that it was important that they check their invitations asap because they came with a kitten.

In retrospect it was in poor taste and not funny. I know now Kittens should be sent overnight and delivery confirmation if possible.

For my international readers, in the U.S. "the C word" (which I understand to be common to the point of casual use in the UK) is for whatever reason considered to be just about the worst anti-female insult one can utter.

Wait, what?
Maybe I'm not representative of the U.K. but I'm pretty sure it's treated as the worst swear word over here too. I'm not sure where Bob got this impression...

...oh yeah, I forgot about Jim and Yahtzee. They undermine my point somewhat.

Good satire holds a mirror to reality, and in the case of things like the Daily Show, uses actual examples from reality to make its points, mostly because the news media they're satiring is really that bad. No matter how bad the entertainment media is to fully-grown actresses, they would NEVER be that bad to a little girl... and that's where The Onion's style of comedy often goes wrong, I know they deal in extremes but it's a very easy line to cross, and many times even good comedy of that sort isn't really all that great or worth it.

from South Wales here and calling someone a cunt is considered pretty horrible over here as well. stop generalizing entire countries bob!

Personally, i have no issue with the word, in fact i probably hear, say it around 8/9 times a week.
On the other hand, i would say it was bad taste to call a 9 year old girl it.

josemlopes:
Isnt calling a girl a cunt the same as calling a boy a dick? Of course none should be said to a kid but yeah, I know that a lot of boys are dicks from my school experience, hell... even I was a dick.

More on-topic: Its amazing how some people cant take a joke, and if the girl finds out about this then it was proably through adults that could actually explain the joke and that it is a "fake" sentence.

The two words technically mean the same thing, but they have different connotations. The c word is, for some reason, a much, much worse insult to call someone than a dick. Don't ask me why, but that's how it works. You can argue that words shouldn't have connotations and people should only work with their literal meanings, but that's not how society operates. We decided that the c word was going to be really bad, and so it is.

Also, I'm tired of the whole "can't take a joke" defense. It's such a lazy get-out-of-consequences-for-what-you-said card. If somebody says something vile and offends people, they should own up to it. I know what the Onion was trying to do, but they screwed up and they were right to apologize.

MovieBob:

If you're going to say nasty things about a nine-year-old, you have to do it right.

Read Full Article

The severity of 'c***' is a regional thing, most parts of the UK consider it to be one of the strongest swearwords around ( though none consider it to be quite as bad as in the US, to my knowledge), but there are a couple of areas in the southeast where it is used as casually as you have heard.

As to the article itself, whilst the article is correct in that the Onion should have made it clearer that it was a joke, people really need to take the context into account before they get mad, especially on the internet.

Kids are cunts all the time. Are you going to tell me through your childhood not one kid was a cunt?

But don't we call young boys "dickheads" all the time yet cunt is unacceptable?
Don't get me wrong I hate it when any person demeans someone else and think the twitter is in the wrong.
Also the fact of her age shouldn't factor into it,insulting anyone should be looked down upon.
However I do find the double standard between swears interesting.

The bad words strike again! We must combat this terrible menace lest someone gets offended! It might cause brief moments of unease; moments we shall have to remember for possibly minutes!

I just want to point out that Seth MacFarlane tried making a similar joke in his song at the end.
The line was:
(Something about the actress ending in "-unt")
"You have to admit she's kind of cute"

Or something like that.

I think most people missed it because they turned off, or lowered the volume on his mic during that part.

The only difference between those two, is that Seth was at least a little funny.
It's not satire if they're nothing behind it; you can't insult someone then claim there's some kind of deep commentary in it.

I don't think the c word is that big a deal, it's not like the n word where there is a long standing history that the word brings up. A context of white oppression over a specific group of people. The c word doesn't have the historical context that gives the n word such a sting. Whore/Slut seems more applicable when people are trying to demean a woman just for being a woman.

I mean... calling a woman a cunt or calling man a dick are both "sexualized/gendered insults, reducing a person to their genitals and then shaming them for what said genitals are" You call people dicks all the time bob, and I understand there is a context of men have had all the power in the past but if you have a problem with the implications of the insult be consistent at least on a logical level. Don't use the double standards are okay in an imperfect world Bob because that's just a cop out for not wanting to REALLY change the way you do things or think of the long term implications of short sighted moralizing.

Still... The onion needed to apologize because at the very end of this there is a 9 year old girl being brought into an incredibly dramatic spotlight she doesn't need to be any part of. That's the most unfortunate part about this. The girl is just a talking point for two incredibly angry sides to use towards advancing their own agenda, so I'm glad the Onion defused the situation somewhat by apologizing.

Hopefully she will be left out of the mess going forward.

No big deal. Some dumb website calls a person a cunt. Who cares. Teach kids not to give a crap about this stuff. Its not important and likely the kid never even read the original message. But people like make an issue of it and spread it across the net. I dont see why this is worth blogging.

If their skin was any thinner, they would be transparent.

The joke only works BECAUSE of the word cunt. If they had called her a bitch it would have been 100x worse. The obvious absurdity of it is what made the joke funny.

TwistedEllipses:

For my international readers, in the U.S. "the C word" (which I understand to be common to the point of casual use in the UK) is for whatever reason considered to be just about the worst anti-female insult one can utter.

Wait, what?
Maybe I'm not representative of the U.K. but I'm pretty sure it's treated as the worst swear word over here too. I'm not sure where Bob got this impression...

It's probably the worst swearword here, but it's generally not used as a gendered slur. Notably here, the two biggest targets for the word "Cunt" would be Bankers and Politicians, who are largely male. In the US, as I understand, it's considered oppressively misogynistic, rather than merely scatological, and thus considerably worse.

"which I understand to be common to the point of casual use in the UK"

This is bandied about an awful lot and I think it paints a slightly skewed picture. Cunt, to my mind, is really the last swear word. I shit and fuck all over the place, but there's definitely some thought that goes into whipping out a cunt. I do get the impression that it has a far greater relation to sexism in the US, though. Generally it makes me cringe when someone says it, because it normally comes across as try-hard. Twat is much better, anyway.

TwistedEllipses:
Wait, what?

This might also have something to do with it

Also, I would agree that while it is generally considered the most taboo swear word it doesn't have the same connotations as it does in the US, it's considered to be a stronger form of "bastard" i.e. a reprehensible person, usually male, whereas the US version is a strong form of "bitch" and has misogynist overtones (from what I gather). Cunt isn't exactly something to say in polite company but otherwise it's not considered "wrong" for want of a better word.

TwistedEllipses:

Wait, what?

I was going to say pretty much the same thing. But yeah if I was in the U.S. I'd swear my tits off and claim it was 'casual' back home. ha-ha suck on that you P.C. fuckers!

knight steel:
Don't get me wrong I hate it when any person demeans someone else and think the twitter is in the wrong.
Also the fact of her age shouldn't factor into it,insulting anyone should be looked down upon.

If they had called a 9-year-old boy a "dickhead," the reaction would've been the same, I promise you.

While I object strongly to attaching such a negative connotation to what is a wonderful thing, not so much on a nine year old but you get my point, and to unfunny jokes; kids can kind of be cunts sometimes. Hell, I was probably a bit of a cunt as a child. Some of you are probably thinking I still am. If someone wants to call a child a cunt I have no problem with that, just try to do a good job.

"Lots of people. Lots of groups in this country want to tell you how to talk.
Tell you what you can't talk about. Well, sometimes they'll say, well you can talk about something but you can't joke about it.
Say you can't joke about something because it's not funny. Comedians run into that shit all the time.
Like rape. They'll say, 'you can't joke about rape. Rape's not funny.'
I say, 'fuck you, I think it's hilarious. How do you like that?'
I can prove to you that rape is funny. Picture Porky Pig raping Elmer Fudd.
See, hey why do you think they call him 'Porky,' eh? I know what you're going to say.
'Elmer was asking for it. Elmer was coming on to Porky.
Porky couldn't help himself, he got a hard-on, he got horny, he lost control, he went out of his mind.'
A lot of men talk like that. A lot of men think that way. They think it's the woman's fault.
They like to blame the rape on the woman. Say, 'she had it coming, she was wearing a short skirt.'
These guys think women ought to go to prison for being cock teasers. Don't seem fair to me.
Don't seem right, but you can joke about it. I believe you can joke about anything.
It all depends on how you construct the joke. What the exaggeration is." -George Carlin

The difference between gendered insults directed at boys "dick" and gendered insults directed at girls "bitch," the c-word... is one of social power and privilege. Yes, it's a bit of a double standard, but it's because we live in a world that establishes a double standard already.

If I fight with my girlfriend, there is not a word she could say to me that would hurt as much as me honestly calling her a bitch.

knight steel:

You call nine-year-olds boys dickheads?

Yeah, well that's what happens when that kind of humor goes wrong. It blows up in your face so hard that they be finding bits of your ears and nose three states over (see also Tosh, Daniel).

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here