The Wishlist: Sifteo Cubes

Sifteo Cubes

Make room on your Wishlist for these cubes of fun.

Watch Video

Do they stick together with magnets and what's the battery life like?

I also hope your business cards do actually say 'Enjoyer of Stuff' otherwise the world will be a far duller place.

They look like they would be fun!... For all of 2 days.

And HhhHooOooWWwwwWWWw much? Jesus Christ. Interesting but no way on earth.

It'd be better just to buy a 3Ds or Vita. Persona 4 Golden is worth a million iphone-esque games.

Was interested until the price O.o

And my Wife has that sweater....

Chrono212:

I also hope your business cards do actually say 'Enjoyer of Stuff' otherwise the world will be a far duller place.

They don't stick with magnets, just have to touch them side to side. Battery life is pretty good -- since they have such small screens, they lasted through all of my production (I had them on for hours while taking b-roll footage of how they worked). Susan might know better, since they're hers!

My business cards don't say "Enjoyer of Stuff" ... YET

Chrono212:

They do not stick together, and I thought the battery life was pretty spiffy - but note that they're actual batteries, not a charger.

These look terrible. You buy an expensive games platfrom with terrible inputs, worse than any tablet or smart phone, to buy games like Sandwich Kingdom or whatever?
Also, what is up with this trend of sites masking ads as content. I would be really interested to know if these Cube guys paid to be in this video.

We need more Ashley, less than 2 minutes a week isn't enough, give her 5 to 10 mins at least, and more than one thing to talk about!

As for the Sifteo things, fun sounding gimmick but way overpriced, so pass.

Well ,that's a neat game console of sort - I wasn't sure to this idea of series, but since it's short and informative I'm sold to it now.

Those cubes are a neat idea. They just cost a lot too much... I can get 32GB of RAM for that money, and those RAM sticks at least won't eat away at the little AA batteries I have that still work.

I don't really know what to think of the show thus far. On one hand, it's quite interesting, and Ashley is a good host for it, but on the other hand, it's a bit too advertisement-y and too short. Possible directions: Multiple things to show, or going more into the satirical direction and calling it more of a review. Both would make it at least a decent length (what we have now isn't all that much really - it might take a long time to make, yet little of that shows on the screen).

Susan Arendt:

Chrono212:

They do not stick together, and I thought the battery life was pretty spiffy - but note that they're actual batteries, not a charger.

What kind of batteries?

Ashley Esqueda:

Chrono212:

They don't stick with magnets, just have to touch them side to side. Battery life is pretty good -- since they have such small screens, they lasted through all of my production (I had them on for hours while taking b-roll footage of how they worked). Susan might know better, since they're hers!

My business cards don't say "Enjoyer of Stuff" ... YET

Yet.

Chrono212:

Susan Arendt:

Chrono212:

What kind of batteries?

I can't remember if it's AA or AAA, actually...

Your Gaffer:
These look terrible. You buy an expensive games platfrom with terrible inputs, worse than any tablet or smart phone, to buy games like Sandwich Kingdom or whatever?
Also, what is up with this trend of sites masking ads as content. I would be really interested to know if these Cube guys paid to be in this video.

No, they didn't. As it says in the description for the video (and indeed for every Wishlist video) these aren't endorsements, just stuff we like.

Susan Arendt:

Chrono212:

Susan Arendt:

What kind of batteries?

And now we know how to make the episodes longer, thus solving two birds with one stone *high fives.* Ashley tells us about these very important things (anyone whose had a controller die on them know's how important batterires are and how you can never find the damned things) and we get to see more of the show. Win win!

Also i noticed people on the Facebook comments were saying they didn't like the show a lot, but remember people didn't like the first couple of Jimquisition episodes either and personally i think those turned out fine :D So yeah if you don;t like it yet give her time! (You picky gits :P )

EDIT: Can i just ask how you choose what to show on the show? (if that makes sense.)
And how'd do you stop people from going: "ooh look i made a pretty box, isn't it awesome? Show it pleaseeeeeeee" (yeh i know that's a dramatisation) ?

Sorry Ashley, but you didn't tell us much about the "game" aspect of these cubes. At $129.00 we need to hear something substantial about the actual games that would make such a payout worthwhile.

"Four games pre-installed" doesn't tell us anything about the games that the system is designed for allowing people to play. "A Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game for you to chose from" isn't at all informative. "As your hero Olive progresses--" etc. What is Olive doing? Is it a maze game?

This is where a longer episode would be informative and serve the crucial need of relaying critical details about this $129.00 system which---for all intents and purposes---looks like a gimmick. And an expensive gimmick at that.

Copper Zen:
Sorry Ashley, but you didn't tell us much about the "game" aspect of these cubes. At $129.00 we need to hear something substantial about the actual games that would make such a payout worthwhile.

"Four games pre-installed" doesn't tell us anything about the games that the system is designed for allowing people to play. "A Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game for you to chose from" isn't at all informative. "As your hero Olive progresses--" etc. What is Olive doing? Is it a maze game?

This is where a longer episode would be informative and serve the crucial need of relaying critical details about this $129.00 system which---for all intents and purposes---looks like a gimmick. And an expensive gimmick at that.

This is NOT meant to be a detailed analysis of stuff! This show is simply to tell people what is on that person's wishlist. You have a thing called google! USE IT!

doggie015:

This is NOT meant to be a detailed analysis of stuff! This show is simply to tell people what is on that person's wishlist. You have a thing called google! USE IT!

No.

Why?

Because they didn't give enough info to get me interested enough to bother looking up more info.

I'm not interested in bickering. I said my piece and I'm moving on.

Ta.

Susan Arendt:

Marblesthebrainstore lists the system as "Requires 5 AAA batteries (included)"
http://www.marblesthebrainstore.com/sifteo-cubes-interactive-game-system

Copper Zen:

doggie015:

No.

Why?

Because they didn't give enough info to get me interested enough to bother looking up more info.

I'm not interested in bickering. I said my piece and I'm moving on.

Ta.

If you are not interested then WHY are you obviously interested enough to comment on this?

Nobody is taping your eyelids open and FORCING you to watch this! If you do not like a show then do not watch said show! And don't lie about not giving a crap because that was proven false with your first comment on this thread as you obviously do give a crap if you typed that comment!

Susan Arendt:

Your Gaffer:

No, they didn't. As it says in the description for the video (and indeed for every Wishlist video) these aren't endorsements, just stuff we like.

OK, great, I missed that. Still think these look terrible.

doesnt impress me. i am going to lift my mood up with some german supermaket lasagne..

Your Gaffer:

Susan Arendt:

Your Gaffer:

Then you should send in your own suggestion. :)

Kinda interesting. The OCD part of me wishes the max number of link-able cubes was 16, a square number. Square...cubes. ANYWAY, there's something almost brilliant at work here, I can't yet put my finger on it.

Also, if only the bezels were thinner.

Susan Arendt:

Your Gaffer:

Susan Arendt:

Then you should send in your own suggestion. :)

Well some people might find this type of thing boring but here is a product I would nominate:
DS713+ by synology
It is a NAS device with a lot of great management features, per user permissions, http access, ftp, etc. Really good device, if a little spendy.

Your Gaffer:
Well some people might find this type of thing boring but here is a product I would nominate:
DS713+ by synology
It is a NAS device with a lot of great management features, per user permissions, http access, ftp, etc. Really good device, if a little spendy.

I'd considered a Drobo, but I'm also familiar with Synology. Been thinking about picking up a NAS for the apartment, since I have a huge amount of HDD space required for video editing and storage. If I buy one, I'll likely feature it if it's great. Good suggestion!

A lot of folks have been asking for more than one product a week. Just wanted to pop in and talk about how the show works!

I actually shoot, write, and edit The Wishlist all by myself, in my home studio. It's just me; I don't have a crack team of A/V commandos (outside of the multiple production personalities living inside my head) helping me create the show. Every week I write, shoot, and (mostly) edit this show, another show that's mobile news-based for a different network of sites, and a third show that shall not be named until it goes live (because it's a delicious secret) -- so it's quite a bit of time on my end to produce these things while still maintaining a professional look and feel for them. I would hate to sacrifice the quality of the product shots or the show as a whole, because I am a filthy, filthy perfectionist.

On top of that, while 2-3 items per week sounds great in theory, it's also *really* tough to keep up with for a sustained period of time. Keep in mind, 2 products a week sounds awesome... until you realize you have to actually procure those items for b-roll shots, and you'll need 104 of them for a whole year's worth of shows, or 156 if you're doing 3 per show. Chasing down PR reps for product samples, actually *using* the stuff (and making sure it's awesome enough for you guys), and then getting good shots of it for use is a big chunk of time. It's a terrible negative of not being a robot: I actually need sleep and "me" time!

We did add music to future episodes, and I did want to say to everyone who's watching: Just because your suggestion doesn't get used, doesn't mean we're not listening. I actually really enjoy the constructive criticism here, and I'm pleasantly surprised at how welcoming so many of you have been. Usually the mean/nice comment ratio is the other way around!

TLDR: We're listening to your comments, please keep in mind I am one single meatbag with a maximum workload~

<3

Ashley Esqueda:

Your Gaffer:
DS713+ by synology

I'd considered a Drobo, but I'm also familiar with Synology. Been thinking about picking up a NAS for the apartment, since I have a huge amount of HDD space required for video editing and storage. If I buy one, I'll likely feature it if it's great. Good suggestion!

A lot of folks have been asking for more than one product a week. Just wanted to pop in and talk about how the show works!

I actually shoot, write, and edit The Wishlist all by myself, in my home studio. It's just me; I don't have a crack team of A/V commandos (outside of the multiple production personalities living inside my head) helping me create the show. Every week I write, shoot, and (mostly) edit this show, another show that's mobile news-based for a different network of sites, and a third show that shall not be named until it goes live (because it's a delicious secret) -- so it's quite a bit of time on my end to produce these things while still maintaining a professional look and feel for them. I would hate to sacrifice the quality of the product shots or the show as a whole, because I am a filthy, filthy perfectionist.

On top of that, while 2-3 items per week sounds great in theory, it's also *really* tough to keep up with for a sustained period of time. Keep in mind, 2 products a week sounds awesome... until you realize you have to actually procure those items for b-roll shots, and you'll need 104 of them for a whole year's worth of shows, or 156 if you're doing 3 per show. Chasing down PR reps for product samples, actually *using* the stuff (and making sure it's awesome enough for you guys), and then getting good shots of it for use is a big chunk of time. It's a terrible negative of not being a robot: I actually need sleep and "me" time!

We did add music to future episodes, and I did want to say to everyone who's watching: Just because your suggestion doesn't get used, doesn't mean we're not listening. I actually really enjoy the constructive criticism here, and I'm pleasantly surprised at how welcoming so many of you have been. Usually the mean/nice comment ratio is the other way around!

TLDR: We're listening to your comments, please keep in mind I am one single meatbag with a maximum workload~

<3

If you are in need I highly recommend you check out the model I listed. You can throw perhaps two of these in there:

http://www.amazon.com/WD-Red-NAS-Hard-Drive/dp/B008JJLW4M

In a nice RAID 1 array.

I have thought about putting together some video game related videos and uploading to youtube but one of the things holding me back is the amount of work I know it would take. I am a perfectionist too, so I would be putting effort into making sure the lighting was right, doing multiple takes until I got the perfect shot, rewriting dialogue, etc.

Keep up the great videos.

I like the idea of Sandwich Kingdom revealing paths as you link cubes together. I'm just not sure I have the attention span for it :P

Definitely a neat product! Surprised I've never heard it mentioned before. I'll be watching to see if it catches on or not.

This looks like a really interesting concept for games, but it is a pity there does not seem to be a multi-player or multi-device component to it.

I would be really interested to know if these Cube guys paid to be in this video.image

frpzxvaa:
I would be really interested to know if these Cube guys paid to be in this video.image

If you read the thread, you might have noticed we already laid that rumor to rest!

They're Susan's Sifteo Cubes.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here