No Right Answer: Show that Jumped the Shark the Most

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Show that Jumped the Shark the Most

Which show fizzled out more spectacularly: Lost or Heroes?

Watch Video

Lost just would not go quietly.

I'd have to agree. Yet, the more sharks Lost jumped, the more I fell in love with it. Heroes... I gave up on it after season 2.

Heroes became incredibly bad incredibly fast. I loved the first season, but by the middle of season 2 I stopped watching. From time to time some friends would comment how the show was going and just by hearing them I never wanted to go back.

Lost, yeah, it had many problems, but it also had a lot of good stuff. I didn't mind the time jumps, and I think the series gets really bad only in the last season. The island part was bonkers and the flash sideways part was useless, culminating with that ending. However, if you can ignore the "purgatory" part of the ending I think it gets less bad. Anyway, Lost had great characters, even if some of them were badly treated in the last seasons.

I didn't like Heroes at all. Not even in the beginning. I followed LOST religiously.

Honestly, they are both winner(?) in my book however I would of went with Heroes. Heroes went so downhill it ended with 4 seasons while LOST lasted longer in in saying so those other seasons in LOST were bad, yes they're both winners!

Heroes was a sad victim of circumstance IE: the writers strike (season 2) and the election of Obama (season 3) the FIRST black president.
Com'on if you're NBC which are you going to dedicate the majority of your screen time to?
A fictional show or an actual world changing event?

LOST on the other hand... Was just plain weird!

I loved Heroes and season 2 had interesting moments and enough momentum from season one to continue. Then we had a crap ending to the season and it sucked. Badly. I put a lot of blame on the writer's strike because I think they had some long season plan they had to rush. And season three was baaaaaaad. It deserves to die. So many interesting things that would be introduced and wrapped up way too quickly. Season four was good. But it was too little too late.

I never got far enough into Lost for it to look like it had rails. In the beginning of season 1, (when they had 0 answers) it just looked like they were freewheeling without a clue. There's a shadow! And a noise! And then there were polar bears! Also numbers.

It felt like they were just throwing out questions that were ridiculous and mindboggling because they didn't make sense. Promethus had the same sort of problem, they just threw stuff out and assumed they had the ability to resolve it when the time came around.

I think they start providing some answers later on and it got better, but I couldn't stick with it, because instead of the mysteries being interesting I was always aware that they were something designed to be interesting by just not having an answer yet. The whole show was hook and nothing else to me.

I never had anything to do with Heroes.
I watched the first season of Lost in its entirety, missed half of the second season, came back, had no idea what the hell was going on, and by the beginning of the third season, I was just like '...I give up.' It's on Netflix, though, so I may go back and retry to watch it, just to see if a solid beginning-to-end viewing will make it make sense.
I have little hope of such things.

What the hell, Kyle!? How dare you end the show with a reminder that "The Event" was a thing that happened (the show, anyway)

I don't think Heroes ever really "jumped the shark" in the traditional definition of the phrase. It just sort of floundered around with no clear direction before people finally got sick of nothing happening.

I don't think heroes jumped the shark so much as it jumped the cougar shark.

It messed up the second season thus jumping a shark and not letting season 3 go anywhere and then in season 3 took away most of what was interesting thus the cougar shark and then in season 4, they were so lost they were water skiing in a farm.

I watched Lost all the way through a few months ago, and I really liked it. I can see why people wouldn't (especially the last season), though.

LOST was interesting and I can actually follow their "resolution", but they did stretch things out too long, throwing out wierdness after wierdness after wierdness and then writing themselves into a corner where they couldn't resolve things any better than they did. It's an example of why even with JJ at the helm, the guys running the networks should ensure that shows have a clear script/pattern to follow when they get extended.

Heroes I blame more than LOST for blowing chips actually, since that show should never have been greenlit. Their entire problem seemed to be not having the budget to do a super hero show, so they had to find continually obtuse ways of not having any kinds of decent super hero fights, or having people use their powers at all unless they were very easy to do on camera (like telekinesis which can be done with wires and camera tricks.

Lost at least had the budget for what it was setting out to do, and it had it's black smoke monster, wierd sets, and other things in exactly the right proportions. It's failure was in it's writing, but you can at least see why it got approved.

I agree Lost jumped the shark more, because it had everything it needed to be good and stay that way, heroes on the other hand was doomed right from the beginning.

I could never get into either show, to be honest. My mom was a big fan of Lost and every time I tried watching it the obviousness of their efforts to draw it out frustrated me.

What is this "The Event" thing the guys mentioned at the end of the video?

The problem with TV is, no one is willing to let a show go when it's finished. If it's still making money, has good ratings etc they've got to continue the show no matter what. Supernatural was a good example of this. In my opinion they should of ended it after the whole apocalypse plot was resolved. I was expecting that but they continued it and well. I dunno I've heard people say it's still good but I couldn't get past the whole soulless Sam season.

They should of just let it end with a nice ending, now it's going to go on until they decide to axe it and it will have an either terrible cobbled together "end" episode or it will just stop mid plot and leave all it's balls hanging in the air for ever.

for me heroes never really survived the writers strike and lost just couldn't keep my attention through the third season

It's weird knowing my boss now is one of the "others" from Lost. I'll let people guess if they're interested.

Not really jumping the shark the most, but the show that jumped the shark the best was Arrested Development, where the Bluth's Lawyer, played by Henry Winkler, jumps over a shark on his way to Burger King.

Umm...never seen an episode of Lost. Not one. Watched all four seasons of Heroes and by the end of the first season, I thought to myself, "well, it can't get any worse....right?". And it did. It got incredibly bad incredibly fast. No writers for the second season? Just continue to bite the plot of the X-men...and think of some way to not have Hiro involved in anything that matters because his powers are overpowered. So when they weren't biting the Xmen, the show was pretty much about Peter whining and Sylar getting a new power every week.

So I'd substitute Lost with something like...Battlestar Galactica. That show got god awful after season 2 with all of that religion crap and pregnant Cylons and Starbuck is now a woman and later a ghost and WTF is this shit?

Another would be Smallville, which somehow managed to be a thing for 10 Seasons. Got really bad once you realized Tom Welling is like 35 still pretending to be 18...or after High School. Chloe somehow replaced Barbera Gordon as Oracle, and the Watchtower is not in space...Lex is Clark's best friend. Lois is a complete spaz and somehow knows Clark before Metropolis. Supergirl and every other Kryptonian that shows up over the course of 6 seaons all know how to be Superman BEFORE SUPERMAN o.O Hell, Supergirl even shows up in her costume years before Superman. Oh..and the kicker? Wipe some magic slime on the clone of Lex that makes him forget being best friends with Clark and pretty much everything that happened for the last 10 years..

As a pretty big "Lost" fan, I completely agree with everything that was said.

Also, Chris's train metaphor for "Lost" was both hilarious and accurate.

If you want to see a better take on the whole "ordinary people get superpowers" thing check out Misfits:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1548850/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Just finished season 1, really good so far. IMDB comments say season 2 is good and 3 dies but 2 good seasons is about all a lot of shows have.

That train metaphor was glorious.

Can't say anything about Lost since I've stopped watching after season 1. Season 1 was awesome. The first 3 episodes of season 2 were so bad and made me so angry that were it a game my reaction would have been a rage quit followed by deleting the game, snapping the disc in half and throwing your computer out of the window. So yeah. Can't really say how bad the rest of the show was as my memories of the show stay mostly unmarred.

My vote goes to Heroes. I managed to see the show to it's end and boy was it not pretty. Never seen anything start so well and end so badly. You could basically see the show detoriate before your eyes, losing rotten limbs and finally collapsing into a pile of putrid flesh. So very sad.

rembrandtqeinstein:
If you want to see a better take on the whole "ordinary people get superpowers" thing check out Misfits:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1548850/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Just finished season 1, really good so far. IMDB comments say season 2 is good and 3 dies but 2 good seasons is about all a lot of shows have.

Unfortunately it goes the way of heroes after season 2. The first 2 seasons of Misfits are outstanding. The latter 2 not so much. They loose the overarcing story and become a compilation of episodes that are mostly not connected to each other in any way. The accent on superpowers also kinda whittles. Plus

SPOILER!!!!!!!

all the leading people from the start of the show leave by the end of season 3 and are replaced by new crew that can't even hold a candle to the original misfits.

Just a quick note, the High-Quality HTML5 .webm videos for last week and this week do not work. Every other HTML5 video on the site released in the last two weeks have been fine. The video will work when I switch it to Flash Player, so I wonder if you have bad video links. I'm using Firefox 19 and the videos simply aren't there when I view the page info under the tools menu.

Every time I see something like this I'm so glad I never watched a single episode of Lost. I did, however, watch seasons 1 and 2 of Heroes, and quit a few episodes into season 3.

I think the debate between Lost and Heroes is especially interesting given that Heroes started while Lost was still on the air and there were quite a few comparisons made between the two at the time. Heroes creator Tim Kring himself pointed out a lot of the comparisons in interviews, and I think he even pointed out that Lost never gives you answers (as Chris pointed out, intrigue has a shelf-life) while Heroes looked to provide answers and wrap storylines up by the end of the season.

Another thing that is really disappointing was that Tim Kring realized what were some of the things that went wrong with season 2 of Heroes (see: http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20158840,00.html ). You'd think that recognizing mistakes would make the show better from then on. Yeah, apparently not so much, it just allowed them to make all new mistakes - one of the main reasons I quit watching was there were way too many characters, and I just didn't care about most of them.

Isn't the answer to "show that jumped the shark the most" ALWAYS going to be Happy Days? By virtue of inventing the shark jump?

The problem with Heroes (well, Heroes had a lot of problems) was that they didn't come up with a solid rule for character death. Zach Landis' treatise on the death of Superman applies perfectly to the Heroes universe.

In the first season they introduced a lot of characters, and about 80% of them get killed at some point, usually by Sylar. So it's a bit like The Shield, or Game of Thrones, where you'd better not get yourself too emotionally invested in anybody.

But then they took a great nemesis for Hiro - Adam - and just killed him off haphazardly, and then they started contriving ways to keep around actors that were a draw for the show, e.g. Ali Larter having long lost twins out in the world somewhere. Then (spoiler) they give Nathan Petrelli a great, dramatic death, then pull him back in kinda sideways, then have to write an episode that closes out his character, which they should have just left it the way it was.

Season 4 of Heroes was pretty good, but I hear the same thing about Enterprise but I gave up on that show long before Season 4, and it got canned anyway.

Meanwhile, Dollhouse and Terminator get the boot right when their stories are getting amazing.

Probably my favorite episode of No Right Answer so far!

You can basically watch just the first or second season of LOST and then the final episode and it makes just as much sense.

Chris Batson:
Probably my favorite episode of No Right Answer so far!

Why thank you!

Heroes goes like this

Season 1 - GOOD STUFF
Season 2 - Only good during Hiro segments
Season 3 - Hereos? What are you doing?
Season 4 - HEROES?! STAHP!!!!

Got to say, still a fan of both series, even if there both flawed.

Admittedly, Lost couldn't keep up with its own mythology and did get a bit nonsensical near the end, but as was mentioned in this video, there were some damn compelling characters. That was enough to keep me in.

As for Heroes, it did pick up again in the fourth season, largely due to having an interesting villain again. But I wouldn't hold it against anyone for jumping ship before that point.

CrazyBlaze:
I loved Heroes and season 2 had interesting moments and enough momentum from season one to continue. Then we had a crap ending to the season and it sucked. Badly. I put a lot of blame on the writer's strike because I think they had some long season plan they had to rush. And season three was baaaaaaad. It deserves to die. So many interesting things that would be introduced and wrapped up way too quickly. Season four was good. But it was too little too late.

That's pretty apt for my experience with Heroes, but I found Season 4 to be surprisingly engaging, with some genuine surprises and character moments almost on par with Season 1. That show was a victim of circumstances, unfortunately.
But as for Lost, i never got into it because of how much sense they didn't make. They just kept throwing crap at the walls to see what stuck.

No. No. No. Wrong. No.

Lost at least had an ending that it was allowed to get to. It had characters who actually stayed more or less in character, and occasionally even got to develop. It had things that happened that had consequences that there wasn't any getting out of. Yes, it threw a lot of half-realized nonsense into the mix, especially towards the end, and barreled along before you could look at it too hard, but it still held on to all of the above.

Heroes couldn't stick to anything. Characters did wildly out-of-character things because the script said they should, and character arcs twisted back to destroy their own development. Powers came and went and came again, functioned differently at different times without explanation. Characters died, not even so much in a "life's not fair" way but in a "oops, moving on" way.

Bottom line: I watched Lost through to the end; I just couldn't stomach watching any more bungling of whatever had been worthwhile in Heroes after about mid-way through season 3. I think the judgement on this one was dead wrong.

I think both had a good first season, and then they turned to shit fast. I couldn't force myself to continue watching it. I was amazed to hear how many seasons Lost apparently got, and now you're saying heroes got several too. >_>

I think HBO is one of the few who can do great TV-shows. The others are more hit and miss than anything else to me. Although there are some exceptions, like Sherlock is brilliant and The Walking Dead has been decent so far.

The main show I've seen that I was incredibly disappointed by was Harper's Island. A murder mystery show that the mystery spans the entire season while cast members are killed off one by one, leaving the mystery to be solved by the viewers over time rather than by the 'hero?' Sign me up! That sounds freaking amazing! Hell, the show started with someone being viciously murdered by a boat propeller. So it didn't seem to want to shy away from blood. It was like a more in-depth horror movie. And throughout it all, I was hoping two major things wouldn't happen... which of course did.

Callate:
No. No. No. Wrong. No.

Lost at least had an ending that it was allowed to get to. It had characters who actually stayed more or less in character, and occasionally even got to develop. It had things that happened that had consequences that there wasn't any getting out of. Yes, it threw a lot of half-realized nonsense into the mix, especially towards the end, and barreled along before you could look at it too hard, but it still held on to all of the above.

Heroes couldn't stick to anything. Characters did wildly out-of-character things because the script said they should, and character arcs twisted back to destroy their own development. Powers came and went and came again, functioned differently at different times without explanation. Characters died, not even so much in a "life's not fair" way but in a "oops, moving on" way.

Bottom line: I watched Lost through to the end; I just couldn't stomach watching any more bungling of whatever had been worthwhile in Heroes after about mid-way through season 3. I think the judgement on this one was dead wrong.

But that isn't the point I think. They aren't arguing which is the worse show. They're arguing which one had jumped the shark the most. I've not seen either, but the general fact that Heroes just couldn't seem to do anything right, especially past the first season, just sounds like it makes it a poor show to start with and it went on a continous downhill track from there. Lost sounds like it had some good stuff, but it just kept getting worse and worse from the first three seasons or so. Which means that Heroes only really jumped the shark once before it got bad. Lost, on the other hand, sounds like it managed to bring viewers on a roller-coaster of interest which gave them some hope but smashed that hope before long.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here