Trailers: Remember Me - Trailer

Remember Me - Trailer

I dare you to try and forget this trailer.

Watch Video

"When I grow up, I'm gunna have SO much amnesia!"

An amnesiac hero that is the chosen one to take down the evil empire. Just add a comedic relief and I will salute your originality.

Listen to me if you wanna live? Really? We are doing this routine again? What, does she get betrayed halfway through too?

My post count is trying to tell me something.

The premise looks good, but there are just so many niggling things about it when I see trailers. I just can't help but feel that this is going to be yet another game with an excellent idea but a mediocre execution.

The story might sound a little standard but good gods am I love with the environmental design.

A female heroine who has very little sexualisation going on, that the camera doesn't drool over, and who is feared and described as being incredibly dangerous, uniquely powerful and with the power to play God?

Sounds way, way too good to be true. There will be a fanservice scene somewhere. Or she will turn out to be not that powerful at all. Or there will be a man who will be even more powerful than her.

Where's the obvious sexism? This isn't the game industry I know!

Darken12:
A female heroine who has very little sexualisation going on, that the camera doesn't drool over, and who is feared and described as being incredibly dangerous, uniquely powerful and with the power to play God?

Sounds way, way too good to be true. There will be a fanservice scene somewhere. Or she will turn out to be not that powerful at all. Or there will be a man who will be even more powerful than her.

Some of the combat animations looked like the standard "female characters are all acrobats", which does serve to show off their body in skin-tight suits. That's about the only thing I noticed in the trailer at least though... and I was looking; I had a similar reaction of surprise at the extent to which they seem to have underplayed it. For now anyway, we'll see if it sticks.

Darken12:

The main character is even a person of colour! Madness! ;)

Seriously though/BTT the combat has me a bit worried here. Way back when the game seemed to have more of an Assassins Creed&Thief&Puzzler-with-the-Memories-bit vibe, but the combat scenes from the trailer almost had a bit of a clunky feeling for me plus there was a lot more emphasis on that compared to what we have been shown before.

Oh well. All we can do is repeat in an endless loop: Please don't suck please don't suck please don't suck... *crosses paws*

Damien Black:
Some of the combat animations looked like the standard "female characters are all acrobats", which does serve to show off their body in skin-tight suits. That's about the only thing I noticed in the trailer at least though... and I was looking; I had a similar reaction of surprise at the extent to which they seem to have underplayed it. For now anyway, we'll see if it sticks.

Yeah, I have to admit I didn't notice the potential for fanservice in a tight suit, but now that you mention, that might be a distinct possibility. The trailer featured very little male gaze, though, so that's a huge plus.

I agree, cautious pessimism is my current attitude towards this game.

psyco:

Mother of all, you're right. She IS a person of colour, I hadn't noticed with all the quick-cuts and pleasantly distracting voice-over.

Well that sure was, exposition.

But seriously, it could be interesting to base a game around gaining other people's memory to advance the story.

Darken12:

psyco:

Mother of all, you're right. She IS a person of colour, I hadn't noticed with all the quick-cuts and pleasantly distracting voice-over.

Okay Capcom, don't screw it up.

Female protagonist. I'm sold.
now to pad out this comment. "I'm just a sweet transvestite - from transsexual - Transylvaniaaaaaa!"

The game's art director should be given a medal. Stunning, stunning design.
Also has a sort of Mirror's Edge vibe to it.

I don't mind an unoriginal story if it's well told and has a new spin on it. The writing and VA seems decent based on this short trailer, though the fighting and animation looks less than AAA - enough to make me wonder whether the price will be lower than the standard 60 USD.

Okay. Intriguing title; nice premise (even if there were a few cliches thrown in there) - memories haven't really been explored in game very well since Prototype; combat system with similarities to Arkham Asylum's (or so it appears - not a bad thing at all); Prince-of-Persia/Tomb-Raider-esque movement through environment; female mixed-race protagonist that wasn't overtly sexualised...

I am now very interested. Even if the constant cuts in the trailer left me a bit disorientated, this is new ground for story in video games and I like it.

I wonder if she's aware that she has a glowy thing on the back of her neck? :)

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here