Movie Defense Force: Mortal Kombat

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Mortal Kombat

TEST YOUR MIGHT!

Watch Video

I'll defend the movie to anyone! I loved this movie! :P

Thank you Jim.

I really want you to do Street Fighter now.

Will you please do Street Fighter?

I dunno. I liked Mortal Kombat 2 more. The end fight was excruciatingly boring and mispaced for me which is all I remember from the whole thing. That said, it's infinitely better than that atrocious concept trailer of gritty Mortal Kombat which I hope died in production hell.

I nominate Prince of Persia as the best videogame based movie. I know a lot of people have problems with it but I can't figure out what those problems are.

Taking the Marvel/Disney approach: Let's have some bloody fun with this!
I'm kinda surprised you did this movie and not the sequel.

Toasty Virus:

It has its moments.

The street fighter movie was better than the legend of chun lee at least, but i dont think its as faithful as MK movie. Its really WTF in alot of places. I hear the DOA movie is actually not that bad of a fighting movie, dont know anything about the games story tho.

I agree completely. Mortal Kombat was the best video game based movie ever. After all, what other video game based movie was more faithful to it's source material? I can't think of one. Although I will disagree with you Jim on Raiden, I thought Christopher Lambert's Raiden was pretty awesome, I only wish he had a larger part to play.

canadamus_prime:
I agree completely. Mortal Kombat was the best video game based movie ever. After all, what other video game based movie was more faithful to it's source material? I can't think of one. Although I will disagree with you Jim on Raiden, I thought Christopher Lambert's Raiden was pretty awesome, I only wish he had a larger part to play.

He certainly would have made Annihilation more bearable, but I think Jim had more of a problem with Raiden not being the Raiden from the game.

Sterling forgot one of the greatest things about the MK movie!

Toasty Virus:

Seriously? I confess it's been a while, but the only thing I remember being remotely entertaining about Street Fighter was Raul Julia's performance as Bison. While Mortal Kombat had one truly bad casting choice (Christopher Lambert), Street Fighter had only one good one. I don't know how anybody could defend casting Jean-Claude van Damme as Guile.

FirebirdXR:

Damn it, you beat me to the punch. Flawless victory.

Best game movie ever made? Neah...
Having never finished a Silent Hill game, I actually enjoyed the Silent Hill movie. Sure it was a bit forgettable but decent. That alone was better than Mortal Kombat. As for the best? Well, look no further than Prince of Persia. That was a really good movie, with a touchy subject, easy to mess up, but done properly.

Well, aside from the fact that I *cough*actuallykindofliketheResidentEvilmovies*cough* Jim seems to be pretty much on point, here. I've never seen the Mortal Kombat movie, (although now I really want too; I know what my Thursday night is going to entail), but his logic is sound, at least.

I would also put forth that it would be easier to turn a fighting game like Mortal Kombat into a movie than it would be to turn (even without Mr. Boll's influence) Dungeon Siege or (even sans Chrisophe Gans)Silent Hill into movies, because if you're going to be faithful to those game's stories, you have to take huge amounts of game time, extract the interactive parts, figure out the critical story moments, and then turn those into a narrative that is coherent without player input. It's a hard task.

But, anyway, nice MDF, Jim. I'm really enjoying these, so far. And you've convinced me to watch Mortal Kombat, so good on you.

Huh, didn't think this movie needed defending. Sure it was cheesy and hoaky, but it was a fun movie. Not sure it's the best vg movie ever, but it is up there.

Completely agree with you jim. But this movie did not need defending. Mortal Kombat 2 however...

Azex:
The street fighter movie was better than the legend of chun lee at least, but i dont think its as faithful as MK movie. Its really WTF in alot of places. I hear the DOA movie is actually not that bad of a fighting movie, dont know anything about the games story tho.

The Dead Or Alive movie is okay, at least as good as a lot of other 'C' grade kung-fu movies. Just go into it with that expectation.

Otherwise I have to agree with Jim here, Mortal Kombat was a decent movie, truthfully I've heard a fair number of people also defend this one over the years. It's the second MK movie that most people seem to really knock, but in rating the first one you also have to consider that it did well enough to get a sequel to begin with.

That said, I think Jim's biggest point, that a lot of people (especially in Hollywood) should pay attention to is that being loyal to the source material pays off. When it comes to comics, video games, popular TV series, or whatever else, I think 90% of the problem has been that the people doing them do not want to simply accept being guests in someone else's universe, they want to try and make everything their own, and change things around, and that is where things go wrong. In working with a franchise the focus should be on accuracy, the fans, and then accesibility to new audiences and personal tweaks as a distant last.

When it comes to Mortal Kombat, the original set up (which got borked later on) was basically "Enter The Dragon" with the tournament deciding the fate of the world, as opposed to simply recruiting soldiers for a heroin empire. Once they threw in the supernatural stuff it just got more insane from there, but at the end of the day it was still all about all of these guys get together on this island and beat the crap out of each other in one on one fights.

I was a fan of Mortal Kombat from my very first viewing at the Drive-In way back when (so perfect). I've been a fan ever since and totally agree no game movie has ever come close to doing its inspiration the same justice. Not even the subsequent MK movies.

That movie doesn't need defending... it was a fairly good martial arts movie and the closest adaptation anyone could have hoped for Mortal Kombat . Some of the fights were truly great (Liu Kang vs Reptile and Cage vs Scorpion come to mind). On a down note, some of the fights were disappointingly short and unfulfilling (like Sonya vs Kano, Liu Kang vs Sub Zero and Cage vs Goro), but I guess you can't have everything...

Also, Christopher Lambert is seriously underused in that movie. I know its before the time when they realized they could have real actors make martial arts stunts, but I would really have liked to see him fight.

MK 2, though... That was just crap.

DVS BSTrD:

canadamus_prime:

He certainly would have made Annihilation more bearable, but I think Jim had more of a problem with Raiden not being the Raiden from the game.

To which I would argue that although Christopher Lambert couldn't pull off a Japanese accent to save his life, he was still the Japanese Thunder God which was pretty much the Raiden from the game esp. back in 1993/94.

Now just because the movie is true to the source material doesn't mean it's the best video game movie ever.

That honour still belongs to "Postal".

canadamus_prime:

DVS BSTrD:

canadamus_prime:

To which I would argue that although Christopher Lambert couldn't pull off a Japanese accent to save his life, he was still the Japanese Thunder God which was pretty much the Raiden from the game esp. back in 1993/94.

I agree, I thought he got his version of the character down perfectly. Pity lightning didn't strike twice.

Man, all these movies he's defending....I didn't even know they needed defending.

This movie was basically a film version of WMAC Masters. Most of the cast of that show is in the movie...and that is awesome. I loved this movie as a child and still do, despite the white washing. But even the white washing isn't a problem because the game's themselves did it. I agree that for the most part (aside from Scorpion's hand vagina spear and Conner Macleod as Raiden), the movie followed the game faithfully, and it worked.

As for best video game movie? No. Resident Evil (the first and only the first...) is better. Silent Hill is better (if you don't play Silent Hill). So what if they didn't faithfully follow the games? Truthfully, the movies would have been worse if they followed the game exactly. Do you really want to see real people combing the house for a key or a cat's eye to a door that they could just break open, or use the Master Of Unlocking's skills? That would be bad.

I'm pretty sure the first couple CDs I bought as a kid were the Mortal Kombat soundtrack and a Mortal Kombat remixes album. I love the films, and the sequels, bad or no. Costumes are great, soundtrack rocks, and the fight scenes are interesting and well choreographed. Who cares about deep acting? They're just beating each other up anyway.

One of the greatest misconceptions is that a video game story needs to be upgraded. Video game fans probably aren't looking for anything deep and cinema fans will likely shun anything that's based on a game anyway.

I found MK to be quite enjoyable, which likely does come down to the fact that it didn't try and make it into something else.

DVS BSTrD:

I thought it was "Let's cancel every show Zachary Amaranth even remotely gets into."

I enjoyed Mortal Kombat. It was fun and held as well to the overarching story while still allowing the main characters there moments to shine (Cage vs Goro is a personal favorite for several reasons).

The sequel on the other hand... [shudder]

Zachary Amaranth:
One of the greatest misconceptions is that a video game story needs to be upgraded. Video game fans probably aren't looking for anything deep and cinema fans will likely shun anything that's based on a game anyway.

I found MK to be quite enjoyable, which likely does come down to the fact that it didn't try and make it into something else.

DVS BSTrD:

I thought it was "Let's cancel every show Zachary Amaranth even remotely gets into."

Then be glad you're not a DC fan :P

There are people that thought this movie was bad? Pah. I always loved it.

I've always thought this is the best video game movie to date as well. I have a sense fighting games translate better to film than most, since the plot of almost every fighting game is basically Enter the Dragon except instead of a Bond-style mastermind villain, the bad guys are evil corporations making super soldiers, or evil wizards from another dimension. But MK was better than Street Fighter, DOA, Tekken, or its own sequel at staying fun, action-packed, and faithful to its source material.

JudgeGame:
I nominate Prince of Persia as the best videogame based movie. I know a lot of people have problems with it but I can't figure out what those problems are.

It's fine, it's just nothing really distinguishes it from any other Arabian Nights pastiche film out there other than the calibre of the actors involved. Maybe that's the fault of the source material, since the only thing that puts the Prince of Persia series above its Arabian Nights aesthetic is its gameplay, and that's hard to convey through a film.

FirebirdXR:

Yes! Most of the soundtrack is pretty good, I find. My first exposure to Fear Factory and Sister Machine Gun came from it.

FirebirdXR:

[ youtube=EAwWPadFsOA ]

Couldn't agree more. Why wasn't this mentioned. It is so delightfully energizing and makes you want to kick something, or at least watch someone kick something.

DVS BSTrD:

canadamus_prime:

DVS BSTrD:

I agree, I thought he got his version of the character down perfectly. Pity lightning didn't strike twice.

Yeah. The guy they got for the second movie indeed looked somewhat asian, but cold NOT pull off badass.

DVS BSTrD:
Then be glad you're not a DC fan :P

I think God (and Jim) for that nearly every day.

Then again, I thought most of the Marvel shows sucked to begin with. It's only recently they've put out stuff I actually liked.

Which appears to be the criteria for cancellation.

Mortal Kombat does not need defending. It was always great.

Mortal kombat 2 on the other hand..... can't be defended

I've got to bring up Spoony's point on the Dead or Alive movie. It may not be as directly faithful to the 'look' etc of the games, but it's so so loyal to the spirit...it's basically a bunch of women in skimpy outfits doing kung fu fights. And really, with Dead or Alive, isn't that what it was all about?

Still love Mortal Kombat though, agree with its awesomeness.

If you guys want to see Christopher Lambert in a really fun movie, check out Mean Guns.

Ice-T is a high-ranking gangster for "The Syndicate", who decides that they have a lot of underlings that need to be taken out. Rather than call in hits on all of them, they lock them inside a prison, and give them guns, baseball bats, and ammo. The last three surviving win ten million dollars.

Also, Ice-T pumps mambo music through the prison's intercom, providing the movie's soundtrack.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here