Top 5 Friday: Top 5 Most Gruesome Videogame Deaths

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Top 5 Most Gruesome Videogame Deaths

This week, Matt discusses the most cringe-inducing death scenes in videogames.

Watch Video

Surprised "Condemned 2" and it's enviromental kills didn't make the list. Probably because it didn't go over very well overall. Condemned as a series had some of the most brutal combat ever IMO, even when it became more gun-centric in the sequel.

To be honest, I'll also say that when it comes to creepy games those maniquins in the first one are part of my personal litmus test. I hadn't read spoilers, so I didn't know what was coming and some of the things that happened there did catch me by surprise. :)

Eh, well, that was certainly an episode of a show I guess. I dunno, but 'Hey guize these are the bestest most goriest deaths ever' seems a bit... juvenile as far as a premise for a show goes. That said, this whole series seems kinda dull, especially since it tends to be nothing but five back to back 'this is the best because I think it's cool' with no in depth thought besides that.

I'll watch a couple more of these to see if they get any better, but right now I'm not really feeling much enthusiasm for this series. It's just too bland and empty of a premise. When Yahtzee does a top 5 games of 2012, that means something because I KNOW what Yahtzee likes and doesn't like and where he stands on things. With no knowledge of who these people are or why they care, I have no reason to care what they think is the best anything.

I think we all understand that Escapist was looking to fill the Top 5 spot they pushed Lisa Foiles out of a couple years ago, so they scooped up some hip, trendy, well(ish)-dressed guys to do their own Top 5 show. I'll be honest with you, Escapist... I don't watch most of your content. I will give shows a try from time to time and depending on how well I enjoy them I may come back again. (I'm still on the fence with the "No Right Answer" stuff)

I don't know what the standard is for being an Escapist show but this is clearly below that. These guys play some games and spout some words. Sure, it can be written off as "personal views" of said games, but come on... This week's video showcased games released in the past three years. That's a pretty small area to pull from. Even with all the games being recent titles, these guys don't even talk much about them! "Oh man, there was like...blood and stuff! It was awesome!" That's not a review, comment, critique or anything of relevance.

I realize you had issues with Lisa Foiles in the past, I'm not here to plead with you to bring her back. Just let the wound heal. Pushing another show on us like this (and by "this" I mean this crappy, waste of time, shell of a show) is just tearing open that place in our hearts and minds where your previous Top 5 show used to be and making us hurt all over again.

These guys have some big shoes to fill. Lisa Foiles did a great job and making top episodes more interesting.

I think The Warriors should get an honorable mention, especially when you brought out the broken bottles.

i was honestly expecting character specific deaths, not franchises. Not sure what else to say really, cause this is all stuff ive heard before and nothing new was said. thats my 2 cents anyway

That sure was 'content' seriously, there is zero personality, nothing visually interesting going on. Never mind the safest and least interesting list imaginable. It just feels so manufactured, with no creativity or passion. It just feels like the bare minimum of effort to make a 'show' Sorry to be so down on it, but I really think to make a mark you guys need to step it up. I work as a online video producer and if you guys want some detailed and private feedback please PM me and I would be happy to share.

Dear the Escapist staff
I know most of the video content providers started on Youtube, BUT most of them also made their name on what they are doing on this side. Smoshgames get most of there veiws from there brand name. This is so bad I will bet most of thire veiws here is to complain about how bad this is. If you want someone to do a weekly Top 5, find someone that have 50% humor 50% "Games-are-art-hippie" stoff.

That was a particularly uninteresting thing.

I'm sure you could do a "Top 5 Most Gruesome Videogame Deaths" and make it work - this not working was a consequence of lacklustre writing, presentation, choices, I mean Jesus people, if you are going to talk continuously, at least tell funny jokes or something - but I think the best thing a "Top 5" show can do is focus on unusual and imaginative challenges; "The Top Five Most Unintentionally Hilarious Pieces of Video Game Dialogue" or "The Top Five Most Amusing Cheats". Those sorts of challenges require you to actually depend upon an expansive video game knowledge and encourages you to go for games the audience doesn't already know everything about. We all already know that God of War, Mortal Combat and Dead Space games are gory. That's pretty much all they are known for. They even advertise it on the fucking boxes. Tell us stuff we don't know.

I've watched all four of these, still not liking the series at all I'm afraid. Same complaints as previously stated and posted by others above: little to no personality, depth, creativity, insight. Not interesting and a questionably small pool of games used.

I know those concerned don't necessarily owe us much, but aside from Susan's comments the first week about testing the water with this series I've not seen responses to the community's feedback. This series seems to be getting a lot of negative feedback - I'd be interested to hear from SmoshGames or the Escapist staff about their thoughts on that feedback. Any plans on improving the format or cancelling the show? Sure it may be early days to pull the plug, but if so much of the feedback has been in a similar vein then surely the show should start taking heed.

captcha: Danish Robot Dancers
Now those I'd watch.

"The death scenes for all the gods were incredibly violent, and, therefore, incredibly awesome."

Can we get something a little more sophisticated than "violence is teh awesome"?

Sorry, giving you guys one more episode and then I won't even be giving you my views. This is just painfully generic and uninspired. Jimquisition took the criticism and turned around to make one of the best new shows on Escapist. This though? Just dreary and not creative. Format needs to improve or it will become a number MY top 5 worst web series.

Well it was better than last week, but you guys missed the chance for massive indy cred by not putting Dwarf Fortress in the list.

As it stands, I can't feel 'meh', like this is just something to watch on lunch break

bland uninteresting deaths from bland uninteresting games reeled off by a bland uninteresting guy. The other two had something semi interesting for Worst romances and reasons for battlefront 3, but this was just boring...

This is a list i'd expect to find in a game magazine funded by ad revenues and decided to throw all these on a list to get some ad dollars for upcoming titles from the companies that produced the ones on the list.

OH WAIT!

This looks like a series that GameStop, IGN, or one of those other paid advertising services would syndicate. I was given to understand that the Escapist had standards(James Portnoy aside, naturally). Obviously, I was wrong.

Mahoshonen:
Well it was better than last week, but you guys missed the chance for massive indy cred by not putting Dwarf Fortress in the list.

As it stands, I can't feel 'meh', like this is just something to watch on lunch break

That's funny cause that is EXACTLY what I am doing right now... eating lunch.

As for everybody else, can we at least admit that part of the reason you all miss Lisa is because she was hot.
Yes, she brought a little more entertainment in the writing and views, but it wasn't so great that it should be this legendary "Remember when Lisa... blah blah blah"

LostintheWick:

As for everybody else, can we at least admit that part of the reason you all miss Lisa is because she was hot.
Yes, she brought a little more entertainment in the writing and views, but it wasn't so great that it should be this legendary "Remember when Lisa... blah blah blah"

This. I enjoyed Lisa Foiles Top 5 show but let's not act as if it was the most amazing Escapist content ever. She was a smart, funny girl and attractive as well which most likely accounted for her popularity here. Her show was only a tad bit higher quality than this.

Move on y'all, Lisa Foiles is never coming back.

OT: Dead Space deaths always make me cringe.

Since a lot of people have already posted their opinions on the show itself, I'm going to hold off. I would like to talk about some meaningful character deaths though. The obvious one I think should be Bioshock. (which, while I at first held that SS2 was a better game, I think I'm starting to change my tune in some ways the more I analyze and think about it).

The scene I'm talking about is, of course

I'd also like to point out the game Heart of Darkness, which, while falling apart gameplay wise, has some intense environmental atmospheric moments, and every death (which, by the way, is of a probably 12-year old child) is creepy and distressing. There's a video on youtube in which you can watch every one of them, but I think if you have an opportunity to play the game, it will have much more of an impact.

Funniest death? What? Who said that?

Most Gruesome Deaths In Popular Videogame I Have Played In The Last Cuple Of Years - this video should be called.

That's what author have forgotten:

I MEAN IT

Demonophobia - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4elvVHEDmNg
(Xenophobia is like almost 2nd part of it, so they share one place)

Soldier of fortune - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwTDFpHqJpY

Manhunt - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATw6FAmeMdo

Prototype - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPPr0KxviQM

Fallout - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjbaWD-Aj6Y

Dwarf Fortress - it's just impossible to make a video about all possible brutality of this game, so just go and play it.

And I bet there are a lot more games with brutal deaths. Dear authors, your "tops" are a bit too ... emm... scanty, if i may say so. If you want "top 5" only what you personaly know or like, then choose more specific themes. Those you try to make look sily becaurse of lack of any reaserchment or depth. If you'll watch Lisa Foils "tops" you may notice that she almost always did pretty personal and specific "tops" with not a lot of representatives. And that was good, becaurse didn't look to serious. Though she also was a pretty girl in tight t-shirt talking about her favorite things in videogames, and that itself gave her "tops" +50 to interest, I belive.

Falterfire:
I'll watch a couple more of these to see if they get any better, but right now I'm not really feeling much enthusiasm for this series. .

I made the mistake of going straight to the comments of the video to check to see if they've improved from the last video. It's obvious they haven't. Thanks for correcting me.

I think the video speaks for itself, but there are some really gruesome executions in there (seeing as that's what it looked like you were going for).

I call the "Eye Poker" from Dead Space 3

After watching: HA! I KNEW IT! #1, I still remember...

Yeeeah... Not feeling the love for this show. Step up your game or just quit it.

Falterfire:
snip

sg137iu:
snip

rayen020:
snip

Goliath100:
snip

Sorry to break it to everyone who hates this content but the Escapist is no longer a part of Themis Media and instead a company known as Alloy Digital pulls the strings. Oddly enough Alloy Digital are the same people that also host Smosh Games. I expect that these videos are some sort of trade-off for the new high overlords not tampering with an existing formula :P

But I also agree; this content is bland, uninteresting and not at all up to the usual Escapist quality.

I would say how this show doesn't push more boundaries, but I'd rather quote that guy from the Facebook comment section...

Have you guys played any game before 2010?

Pinkamena:
Yeeeah... Not feeling the love for this show. Step up your game or just quit it.

Agreed, there are alot of "top" list shows out there, most are poor and uninterest, this one included.

I don't know how or why the Escapist chose to host this show , but something as bland and unisnpired as this belongs at ign at best . I gave them a chance but this is nothing like the escapist shows i know and love , i won't watch it again . I know lisa is not going to come back , but this is not the way to fill the gap.

This video was boring. The content was lame. The presentation was cheap. The presenter had no charisma. The writing was artificial and forced.

Awful. Simply awful.

Azuaron:
"The death scenes for all the gods were incredibly violent, and, therefore, incredibly awesome."

Can we get something a little more sophisticated than "violence is teh awesome"?

My thoughts exactly. Ah well what can you do some people just enjoy gore.

This show has not adapted... they are as boring and lame as when they started on here. I had some faith left in these guys but this episode completely destroyed it! Get rid of this stinking pile of crap and put something good on! The guy that does Freeman's Mind is free if you want to pick up that series!

This is... kinda horrible. Lifeless and pointless, I expect more from the escapist. I don't like Movie Bob much but I can still tell that there is some quality and effort put into his videos, hell even the early Jimquistion episodes that everyone hated had more soul to them than this. I would even go so far as to say I like the Escapist's last top 5 show more than this, and I hated top 5 with Lisa Foiles.

Proverbial Jon:

Sorry to break it to everyone who hates this content but the Escapist is no longer a part of Themis Media and instead a company known as Alloy Digital pulls the strings. Oddly enough Alloy Digital are the same people that also host Smosh Games. I expect that these videos are some sort of trade-off for the new high overlords not tampering with an existing formula :P

This is terrifying. Smosh Games is (IMO) a black hole from which no creativity or talent can ever emerge, so the idea of the corporate overlords trying to force that garbage on the Escapist is worrisome.

Would someone who played that God of War please tell me why Kratos ripped the sun's head off? The last time someone else tried to drive the golden chariot he almost destroyed the Earth and Zeus had to kill him to save everyone. The Earth should now either get burned, or fall into everlasting night. I'm certain the game developers have taken other great liberties when it comes to Greek mythology but seriously, why murder the sun? I'm not just complaining as a massive mythology nerd, I'm legitimately curious as to why Kratos killed Helios. Another question: does God of War acknowledge Helios as the sun, or at least it's driver? I know that a lot of people are under the mistaken impression that Apollo is the sun because he's the god of light, among other things, but it's Helios.

Random Argument Man:
I would say how this show doesn't push more boundaries, but I'd rather quote that guy from the Facebook comment section...

Have you guys played any game before 2010?

Agreed, there are quite a few older games that have horrible deaths in them...

itsthesheppy:
This video was boring. The content was lame. The presentation was cheap. The presenter had no charisma. The writing was artificial and forced.

Awful. Simply awful.

Admittedly this sort of game isn't really my genre anymore but I kind of having a list of gruesome deaths does seem a little juvenile for this site or maybe it was just the delivery of it.

Each week I keep watching these videos hoping they'll get better, fingers crossed.

maninahat:
That was a particularly uninteresting thing.

I'm sure you could do a "Top 5 Most Gruesome Videogame Deaths" and make it work - this not working was a consequence of lacklustre writing, presentation, choices, I mean Jesus people, if you are going to talk continuously, at least tell funny jokes or something - but I think the best thing a "Top 5" show can do is focus on unusual and imaginative challenges; "The Top Five Most Unintentionally Hilarious Pieces of Video Game Dialogue" or "The Top Five Most Amusing Cheats". Those sorts of challenges require you to actually depend upon an expansive video game knowledge and encourages you to go for games the audience doesn't already know everything about. We all already know that God of War, Mortal Combat and Dead Space games are gory. That's pretty much all they are known for. They even advertise it on the fucking boxes. Tell us stuff we don't know.

Those are interesting ideas. Why not throw up a poll or topic on it?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here