Jimquisition: Emotions, Polygons, and Ellen Page

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Emotions, Polygons, and Ellen Page

This week, Father of Dreams and visionary game director David Cage hosts the show and tells us all about emotion. Emotion. Emotion.

Watch Video

That was....interesting and a great parody.

Itīs always been fun how you could play a game like Yakuza or Catherine, where the characters looks like humans and actually expresses emotions, but when you play one of Cages brilliant games, itīs nothing but a freak show where you are starring into the uncanny valley. He uses so much money to try and recreate reality, though it might be quite impossible, while smarter companies characterises the faces slightly and achieves a lot better results using less effort.

He should focus on his writing instead, cause he really isnīt that talented a writer and desperately needs to improve if he is ever going to achieve his vision. I loved how Heavy Rain was 8 hours of Cage going: "CRY DAMMNIT, WHY WON`T YOU CRY??!!!". Most comical moment was the intro where we see a man standing on the street in the rain, crying... incidentally we never see him again, ever.

Do you even emotion?

Hmm, I liked the subject matter, and it was a good parody, but I think it'd have worked better if perhaps the David Cage mockery was done for maybe the first minute or so, then the rest as normal.

It was good, I just felt the joke was wearing a little thin by the end.

MrBaskerville:
Itīs always been fun how you could play a game like Yakuza or Catherine, where the characters looks like humans and actually expresses emotions, but when you play one of Cages brilliant games, itīs nothing but a freak show where you are starring into the uncanny valley. He uses so much money to try and recreate reality, though it might be quite impossible, while smarter companies characterises the faces slightly and achieves a lot better results using less effort.

That's actually why anime characters have the faces they do. So emotion can be shown a lot more clearly. They don't look realistic, but to me this:

expresses a hell of a lot more emotion than this:

We're all doomed aren't we?

As someone who's never played any of David Cage's work, is his writing really that bad, or does he just get an exceptionally bad rep because he thinks he's some sort of transcendent genius but in reality isn't?

That was quite the emotional burn.

Add to all those emotional pixels Willem Dafoe, and we will finally achieve world peace.

For a man who equates polygons to emotions, you do seem a little... out of shape Mr. Cage.

well that could have been said in quick bumper at the start, and we could have had something interesting to watch. I agree with Jim, I didn't need 7 minuets to get his point.

And Jim Sterling's Eternal Crusade to get himself blocked from every game developer's Twitter account continues apace.

Vitagen:
As someone who's never played any of David Cage's work, is his writing really that bad, or does he just get an exceptionally bad rep because he thinks he's some sort of transcendent genius but in reality isn't?

Heīs the kind of writer that thinks that good drama is something where everyone is moping 99% of the time. And heīs also the kind of writer that thinks itīs good to use several extremely over the top serial killers as red herrings to cover up the true killer.

7:30 - Credits should be a .gif.

Legion:
Hmm, I liked the subject matter, and it was a good parody, but I think it'd have worked better if perhaps the David Cage mockery was done for maybe the first minute or so, then the rest as normal.

Agree, I pretty much fell asleep after the first minute.

I don't understand all the hate for his games. I thought heavy rain was great, and the niche he fills isn't one being filled by any other triple AAA developer. Would you guys prefer if Quantic Dream just made another spunkgargleweewee games? Of course he's passionate about the games he makes and the style he makes them in so by what right do we have to be so cynical as to say that it's wrong. I don't want every game being like Heavy Rain but neither do I want every game being like my personal favorite genre, a RTS.

Legion:

pretty much this exactly

I was about done with this episode halfway through. Yeah, it was ok at first, but once the point is conveyed, dragging it out really got old fast.

MrBaskerville:
He should focus on his writing instead, cause he really isnīt that talented a writer and desperately needs to improve if he is ever going to achieve his vision.

Thankfully, polygons can more than make up for shit writing.

Thanks Jim, you've found that breaking point on the word "emotion". By the end it stopped registering as a word altogether.

Holy SHIT, I imagined Cage would have some problems with making a guest appearance on your show. Just how the hell did you convince him to do this?

Needed less David Cage impression and more discussing why his views are delusional.

Vitagen:

I've played Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain. And while i had a certain respect for Fahrenheit (don't get me wrong though, it's bad in pretty much every conceivable way) i would argue that his writing is, indeed, that bad. Now, that's not quite the problem... It's just part of the problem. His games have some of the most repetetive gameplay i've ever seen in a modern game. They downright alienate the player. Basically just show him cutscenes and occasionally test his reactions with QTEs to drive home the point that it is, indeed, a game and not a movie.

Now, there's one thing Cage is somewhat good at and that's building atmosphere. I will give him credit for that. But there's pretty much nothing else about his games that would be of any value.

Hilarious and freaky at the same time.

Though I must say "awww" I thought you'd go the whole way with that line.
Who is this man. Where does he come from. Where will he go. Is his name: Cotton Eye Joe.

Honestly, I'll give credit to anyone that isn't making shooters nowadays

nothing against shooters, just over-saturated

Scorpid:
I don't understand people hate for his games. I thought heavy rain was great, and the niche he fills isn't one being filled by any other triple AAA developer. Would you guys prefer if Quantic Dream just made another spunkgargleweewee games? Of course he's passionate about the games he makes and the style he makes them in it's, by what right to we have to be so cynical as to say that it's wrong. I don't want every game being like Heavy Rain but neither do I want every game being like my personal favorite genre, a RTS.

I haven't played the game, or anything by Quantic Dream, honestly. (Please, no stoning. I'll get around to it, I promise.) But I don't think the cry is for more spunkgargleweewee. I think the cry is more for that it's okay to be a bit more subtle with emotional, and character-based narrative. Heavy Rain was probably really good at what it did, but there's nothing wrong with saying "Maybe tweak it a bit." If I'm reading Jim- er, David correctly, it's that the push for better graphics to mean you can do more with characters and story is a bit of a misguided idea. Hell, I got more depressed while playing Monster Rancher than I did with a few scenes in Mass Effect.

Well done keeping the accent up for so long.

William Daffoe, hhhmm, strong in the polygons, this one is.

While David Cage could probably stand to take it down a notch, I still really like his games. Heavy Rain was incredible, as was (most of) Indigo Prophecy. There's not much else quite like them on the market these days. It's funny you brought up The Walking Dead because I compared it to Heavy Rain when convincing my girlfriend to try it out.

I'm really excited for Beyond.

Joke went on too long.

Im wondering was this video to annoy David Cage or to annoy the scumbag that threatened you last week.

To be honest Jim, 90% of the time you are righteous in your videos but this week it just didn't seem right, targeting one guy whose only crime was talking whimsical crap at a PS4 launch doesn't really click im afraid.

I lol'd so badly during this video

Polygons=Emotions

Scorpid:
I don't understand all the hate for his games. I thought heavy rain was great, and the niche he fills isn't one being filled by any other triple AAA developer.

Yes. AAA developer. Unfortunately for Cage, indies have been doing this kind of stuff better, for longer, without the use of complicated graphics or actors. The idea that a game can be used to tell an interesting and involving story is a tradition that has been used in PC gaming since the original Monkey Island. So yes, Quantic Dream does better story games than the rest of AAA, but the way he achieves such things is by imitating film. Other games - better games - just not made on the multi-billion dollar budgets Cage has at his disposal - have long since scaled loftier heights, and Cage comes off as a man who has never actually played such games.

Yay, tits! Waitwhat?

Vitagen:

The latter, more or less. The writing isn't bad -- for about half of the game, the other half is just nonsensical at best. Also, there's only so much gaming put into Quantic Dreams' games, oftentimes it's just glorified QTEs to advance the cutscenes.

I really don't understand why they're still trying to make games instead of animated films. One of their tech-demo shorts, "Kara", looks amazing. They just should do that from now on.

So, what story did I miss? Oh btw, Jim Sterling strawman someone, that new (sarcasm).

No really Jim, stop strawmanning people.

Yeah, good writing is necessary but I'd also like good facial expressions in games. I don't see why not and while Cage's stories could be better, I never got the feeling that he things writing is just secondary. I don't see why we can't have both. Quite a few games would have been better if in certain emotional situations, characters faces wouldn't look like they've used too much botox. Even if that emotional situation was created very well, I just can't take it fully serious if the face looks so stupid.

I will never get the image at 7:30 out of my head. Ever.

You all saw it! You can't un-see it!

Well, i spent the first 3 and a half minutes of this video laughing hysterically.
Thanks Jim.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or