Colonial Marines Developers Should Own Up to Screwing Up

Pages PREV 1 2

I liked the game... so I don't feel they should have to own up to anything. In fact I believe they should be proud of their product. Gearbox makes good games, Timegate makes good games. Is colonial marines the best, no. Is it the worst, god no. So can everyone stop attacking this game and get back to being passive aggressive about otherwise mediocre games ruining the industry.

squid5580:

canadamus_prime:

squid5580:

Oh my bad I misunderstood what you are saying. I don't think they could have saved face even without the leaks and the blaming. The demo and the TV spots vs the final product screams un-professionalism. It seems to me that the resulting he said/she said is both companies trying to regain consumer confidence they lost by doing this since they know that they showed it to us. And the company we ultimately hold responsible is gonna take a beating on their next game

True, but they could've saved some fave by owning up and admitting that they screwed up. I don't know about you but I tend to have more confidence in a company that can own up to it's failings then one that tries to pass them off one someone else.

Oh for sure. If pitchford had tweeted "sorry for the final product not being the same quality as the stuff we showed previously" instead of banning frustrated consumers who feel lied too it would have gone a long ways in my books. But those are my books and I'm not a shareholder so my books don't matter much. Especially now since they already got my money

Well they don't have mine and that's not going to change anytime soon.

canadamus_prime:

squid5580:

canadamus_prime:

True, but they could've saved some fave by owning up and admitting that they screwed up. I don't know about you but I tend to have more confidence in a company that can own up to it's failings then one that tries to pass them off one someone else.

Oh for sure. If pitchford had tweeted "sorry for the final product not being the same quality as the stuff we showed previously" instead of banning frustrated consumers who feel lied too it would have gone a long ways in my books. But those are my books and I'm not a shareholder so my books don't matter much. Especially now since they already got my money

Well they don't have mine and that's not going to change anytime soon.

I am hopin my old copy will fill Gamestops coffers since they deserve the money more.

See, ironically enough, you used to be able to identify a single controlling influence on some games. Jeff Minter, the Oliver Twins, John Ritman and Bernie Drummond, Sid Meier, the four guys who run Introversion, and even now Shigeru Miyamoto; all guys who made games that could instantly and only be described as theirs (you could recognise a Jeff Minter game from miles away).

It seems that the quality of a game declines in proportion to the number of bodies involved in it (too many cooks and all that); the problem is games becoming more corporate. None of that list made their names in games that cost nine figures to make.

the antithesis:
There isn't a single company in the history of the world that has made any money off of assigning blame.

What about the Bank of America?

I don't really any anything against "social gaming", as long as it isn't forced upon me.

They should but wont.I watched all the cutscenes on youtube to spare me wasting money to rent it. Even if the graphics sucked, the story reworked..but ya alot of shoulds and coulds. The only saving grace to this bad story is..alien 4s plot which is uneffected by CM. Was expecting a let down mostly because of all the advertising and reuse of the demo footage in the trailers. Never liked boarderlands anyway lol

Yahtzee Croshaw:
When you start pointing fingers you give away that responsibility was divided, and therefore, there were loads of people who could have raised a hand and done something about the game's obvious poor quality, but none of them could be arsed.

THEM BEST BE POINTING FINGERS ELSE THEY BE BROKEN FINGERS NOW MAN THE FUCK UP AND EAT THIS SHIT SANDWICH UNTIL THE GAME SHITS. I MEAN SHIPS.

I like the idea of a share button.. But only when playing with friends and although I like playing against live players I do find it a bit invasive at times. Like everyone on my list can see how much I play my games and I don't really care for that. An invisible mode would be great and fix this issue. I don't really have much to say about aliens though. I'll have to think on that some more first.

the antithesis:
There isn't a single company in the history of the world that has made any money off of assigning blame.

The United States Central Intelligence Agency might beg to differ...

The watching/giving control of your single player game to a friend sounds awesome. Back before the mortgage, kids, cars and demanding jobs, I used to go to my buddy's house the next town over. Me, him, two high school pals and my brother would all get together once a week and play single player games like RE4 and Mega Man. Play a little bit, pass the controller and shoot the shit. These days, my brother is in college full time, my one friend has a wife and three kids, I have a wife and two kids, the third has a brand new wife and his first child, and the other's whereabouts are unknown. None of us live within 45 minutes of each other now, so the thought of a game like Mega Man 10 (I know, it won't be on the ps4, it's just an example) being played through the PSN, each taking turns with a fundamentally single player game brings back great memories.

Of course, none of this matters if they can't get it right. Full voice chat, zero lag and seamless control are an absolute must.

I am reminded of a term way back in the mid 90s that seemed to mean something at the time;

Quality Assurance.

There were people who sole job was to play the game and report any potential bugs, game breaking or otherwise. I am continually baffled how games like Colonial Marines, Fallout 3 or TES Series can make it out to the public with such glaring and obvious problems. So I can only conclude that either they or not doing their job, or the developers don 't care about the bugs. Which is counter intuitive since they know the game will be panned because of them.

Perhaps they should remove Quality Assurance from the credits if they aren't going to use it properly.

Those 45 seconds are better than Colonial Marines ever was.

deleted because i made an ass of myself in my first post. way to go!

eh its cause of bribery in the journalism industry and the tremendous focus on PR publishers are doing, and game developers not willing to take risks (either because of publisher pressure or their own lack of vision)

Bribery:

In the mainstream press you'd be out of a job (nowadays at least)

In Finance you'd be up for insider trading (if the FSA can catch you).

In Lawyer firms, it's fee-splitting and you'd be suspended.

In the Army, that's treason/spying.

In Sports it's taking a dive or match/race bans.

In the Police, you're going to Prison.

In gaming journalism, accepting kickbacks gets you inside information, exclusive interviews, press conference invites, tips for rumor mills, free review copies of the game before release, potential for fame (GMA), web-based advertisement and free swag?

why is that? because mediocre games selling well doesn't "hurt" consumers, it just makes us numb ... until we can't swallow it anymore and turn to indie games.

That final thought made my stomach turn.
Why does it feel like there's never any good news for games? The Great Video Game Depression, am I right?

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here