Reel Physics: Shoot Em Up - Now that's a Hand-Gun

Pages PREV 1 2

Just wanted to say great show and thanks for doing it!

Yeah, I'll third/fourth/fifth/tenth that - this was fun. Keep up the good work!

How would you actually curve a bullet? It's an unpowered projectile with a fixed velocity in the x and y directions, while only being acted upon in the x- and y-vectors of direction by air resistance and the acceleration of gravity respectively.

Anakinnnn:
We could bore you guys to death with how much extra is cut when it comes to variables and equations and research... ;)

I'm a mech eng and physics graduate do your worst ;P

Now I'm tempted to figure out how much the answer changes when you take the pressure falling as the bullet fires into account...

It's F=m*a, not F=M*A That would be Molar Mass times Area... which will lead to weird results. I wouldn't think Einstein did those kinds of mistakes...

Jakisall:
Great as always guys, I really love this series!
You think you could take a look at RED?
Specifically the scene where Karl Urban's character rams Bruce Willis, in a police cruiser, spins the car and Bruce walks out opening fire narrowly missing the back end of the cruiser as it spins some more.

Yes yes yes

WiseBass:
Yeah, I'll third/fourth/fifth/tenth that - this was fun. Keep up the good work!

How would you actually curve a bullet? It's an unpowered projectile with a fixed velocity in the x and y directions, while only being acted upon in the x- and y-vectors of direction by air resistance and the acceleration of gravity respectively.

If the bullet had an uneven cross-section you could certainly make it curve by having different drag amounts on each side. The tricky bit would be making it curve in any reliable direction. You'd need a gun that wasn't rifled, so the bullet didn't spin, and you'd need the bullet to be placed in the barrel in the correct orientation. Nothing theoretically impossible, but getting any kind of accuracy would be unlikely!

you should do an episode form these scene. (coulndt find the video as such)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMHQsjgQDrA&feature=player_detailpage#t=101s

Flatfrog:

Jakisall:
Great as always guys, I really love this series!
You think you could take a look at RED?
Specifically the scene where Karl Urban's character rams Bruce Willis, in a police cruiser, spins the car and Bruce walks out opening fire narrowly missing the back end of the cruiser as it spins some more.

Yes yes yes

That would be an interesting one :)

although it does seem pretty unlikely...

Thedutchjelle:
As for the "can it go through the skin",

Is the bullet's pointy form taken into account?
I mean, I can understand if a fairly round paintball is better able to transfer all it's kinetic energy when it hits you (if that makes sense.. like, it smashes into you and then stop). But isn't a bullet pointy? Wouldn't that make it easier for it to cut through you?
You mention near the end that it would penetrate his skin,how deep do you think it would go?

They didn't say "penetrate his skin" they said it would break the skin, just like getting hit by a baseball can break the skin. As for the bullet shape, if you see the diagrams they use, you can see how wide a .45cal round is- and of the most common loads, a standard 230gr ball round, or FMJ, is pretty much spherical at the front, an SWC round has a flat nose with only a bit of taper at the sides, and the hollow point shown in this video would probably tear the skin a little at the velocity shown, but is definitely not carrying enough energy to penetrate more than the depth of it's hollow sides (and that's granting a perfect shot on skin without deflection from clothing, and would definitely not have enough energy to expand.

The .45cal round is more akin to throwing high velocity heavy chunks of material at people and relying on raw punch than most other calibers which rely on a ballistic design to maintain velocity and penetrate, causing tissue damage through a wound channel via hydrostatic shock.

I'm not really contributing to the thread, but just wanted to say this is the best episode I've seen for a while, keep up the good work!

tangoprime:

Thedutchjelle:
As for the "can it go through the skin",

Is the bullet's pointy form taken into account?
I mean, I can understand if a fairly round paintball is better able to transfer all it's kinetic energy when it hits you (if that makes sense.. like, it smashes into you and then stop). But isn't a bullet pointy? Wouldn't that make it easier for it to cut through you?
You mention near the end that it would penetrate his skin,how deep do you think it would go?

They didn't say "penetrate his skin" they said it would break the skin, just like getting hit by a baseball can break the skin. As for the bullet shape, if you see the diagrams they use, you can see how wide a .45cal round is- and of the most common loads, a standard 230gr ball round, or FMJ, is pretty much spherical at the front, an SWC round has a flat nose with only a bit of taper at the sides, and the hollow point shown in this video would probably tear the skin a little at the velocity shown, but is definitely not carrying enough energy to penetrate more than the depth of it's hollow sides (and that's granting a perfect shot on skin without deflection from clothing, and would definitely not have enough energy to expand.

The .45cal round is more akin to throwing high velocity heavy chunks of material at people and relying on raw punch than most other calibers which rely on a ballistic design to maintain velocity and penetrate, causing tissue damage through a wound channel via hydrostatic shock.

Must've understood it differently then.. I thought if you broke the skin you pretty much penetrate it, but perhaps my English isn't up to snuff on that one.
Thanks for answering it though :-)

Metalrocks:

This is quite literally a case of "a wizard did it".

Metalrocks:

What DanHibiki said.

Also, the book is better.

Excellent show. I loved Shoot'em Up. Well, basically I love Clive Owen. Still, it was a great piss-take film as you rightly pointed out in the beginning. It would have been interesting to find out just how long it would take for the bullets to spontaneously fire in the flames, but enjoyed this, and all your other vids very much. Cheers!

Another fantastic episode.

I just remembered, that scene with John Malkovich as a retired officially dead government black op in R.E.D. where his revolver shoots through an RPG and blows the woman to bits? I'd love to watch if that is even physically possible, accuracy aside.

That movie is chock-full of scenes worthy of your episodes, by the way.

Friendstastegood:

Metalrocks:

What DanHibiki said.

lol. never read the book. dint even know there is a book of it. still enjoyed the movie though. but you have to admit, it still would be a funny scene to show.

Abell beat me to it. The "chamber" pressure will defiantly go through the soft brass case. It would not be a mini shrapnel grenade, but it would be more like a zipper. I have seen pistil and rifle ammo do this. I have a few hand loading friends and with my loading experience we have seen out won share of catastrophic failures. The "slow burning smokeless powder" still burns extremely fast and hot. That spurting of hot gases pouring out a split in brass would severely jeopardize those soft fingers.

spwatkins:
Somehow this made me think of Wanted. Can you guys figure out whether someone can actually make bullets curve around things?

The mythbusters tried that, the answer is no.

Anakinnnn:

spwatkins:
Somehow this made me think of Wanted. Can you guys figure out whether someone can actually make bullets curve around things?

uneek:
I second this request.

You never know what the next week might bring...
Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

I have a request for a future episode.

Will Meg Ryan ever find true love?

The Lugz:

Henkie36:
Note: Listen closely, you can hear 8 shots from four bullets.

they might have remembered that the igniters you know.. exist and fired in response to the main powder?

by far the most plausible thing i see here, frankly

Shoot em up is not a plausible film, it is however, a superb film. You think you know what will happen but it just gets crazier as the film progress.

Metalrocks:

Friendstastegood:

Metalrocks:

What DanHibiki said.

lol. never read the book. dint even know there is a book of it. still enjoyed the movie though. but you have to admit, it still would be a funny scene to show.

The movie is an adaptation, and seeing as the book is a massively dense brick of political intrigue and philosophical discussions about what really differentiates "good" from "evil" and how arbitrary the designation ends up being it can't possibly measure up. The book is in fact so good it makes me very sad that I can't read Russian because in places it really feels like something is lost in translation.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here