Top 5 Friday: Top 5 Final Fantasy Games

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

I'm amazed FF9 didn't make the list at all.

Neronium:
My list usually pisses people off because of what my number one is:
5.) FF VI
4.) FF X-2 (don't judge me)
3.) FF X (LPing the International, which is gonna be fun)
2.) FF IX
1.) FF XII (mainly the International one since it's soooo good)

That's right XII is my favorite Final Fantasy game out of all of them.

Omnicide:
snip

I have to defend my love of FF XII all the time. Heck I mainly play the international one now which helps improve my points, but still people give XII too much flak if you ask me.

Always wanted to play the internationals, so this post is just for me to shake my fist of jealously at you. *shakes fist*

I personally wasn't a huge fan of 12, but if you liked it then that's all that really matters, great for you.

I am more in favor of

1: FF VI (Best heroes and villains and general world)

2: FF IV (Smooth, simplistic, great music)

3: FF TACTICS (Greatest depth and deep political story with very well done strategy elements and progression system)

4: FF V (Best bonus boss tactics, I really had to work at this to get the perfect combinations)

5: FF VII (Most people demand this to be in a number 1 spot, although it was a ground breaking game on release with
incredible story and graphics it just doesn't hold up to the test of time for me like the previous.)

VIII has no place in any top anything FF. It was made by what I like to refer the "B team" of Square Soft/Enix. Where they try to reinvent the wheel. They switched back to the core for FFIX which was great then started to slip again as the series got higher until all we have is the drek of Final Fantasy XIII/XIII-2 and XIV that almost bankrupted the company.

Well... considering i've only actually fully completed III, VII, VIII, X and XIII i'l just have to put those in order. I have tried playing VI, IX and XII but I just can't get into them, whether it be age (VI), art style and the general feel (IX) or I just plain didn't like it (XII).

So for me it's...

1. FFX
2. FFVII
3. FFVIII
4. FFXIII
5. FFIII

Panorama:
For me i have only played final fantasy 9, So for me:
5:9
4:9
3:9
2:9
1:9

You know, it's not necessarily a bad list. IX is my favourite, by miles. I still play it pretty frequently. After that it's a tie between 8 and 10 for me.

aeric90:
I turned this off when the mistake of equating FFV with the NA release of FFII was made.

I noticed that too pretty glaring error for a fan of the series.

I glad he didn't do the usual thing that most FF fans do and put FF7 on a pedestal of #1 and put FF6 there instead. I know it's opinion and purely subjective but i found FF7 to have an anticlimatic final battle. The final battle was easymode if you had powered up to defeat the optional weapon bosses.

Final Fantasy IX is not on this list, it is therefore invalid, lol

seriously though, good list, haven't played V or VI yet but I have them digitally (I think, I definitely have VI anyway)

I never played Tactics, not because of any negative feelings towards departure or anything I just never found myself in posession of a copy, still I'm blown away that IX wasn't on this list, I never do a list in order of preference because I just can't decide, but IX is definitely top 3

He made a horrible mistake by putting VIII in the fifth position, or anywhere near the top, but he put VI in first AS IT SHOULD BE, so I'll let it slide.

Although I think IX should go in there somewhere. Talk about being overlooked.

This week's Top 5 Friday was a big improvement on the four previous instalments. I've played very little Final Fantasy but I really liked what I've seen of it and this video gave me enough information to understand why each game was chosen. The mock confusion over the game titles was well done too.
Now I just want to see more content that I am familiar with. It also wouldn't hurt for these videos to go for a minute longer.

The lack of Final Fantasy IX greatly disturbs me...

Suggesting that the FF games resolutely sucked after FF8 is a heinous error, considering that four of my favourites came after that point...

5) Crystal Chronicles
4) X-2
3) IV
2) Tactics Advance
1) IX

I dunno, I really think you had to be there at the time to get anything out of VII. I didn't play it until about eight years after the fact and all the way through I was asking "so this is the greatest game EVAR because...?". Snowboarding is awesome fun, but the big wow that it apparently provided as breaking new ground in RPGs really wasn't there; I thought Chrono Trigger did it better, for starters (I'm sorely tempted to describe that as the best FF game). Add up the translation and the terrible materia system - the worst attempt at a job system in the series - and it all spells meh.

Crystal Chronicles is woeful if you're playing it solo. But when myself and two friends got hold of GBAs and link cables (true story: the GBA:SP was the first console I ever owned, and it was entirely because I got sick of squinting at a badly backlit GBA playing this and Zelda: Four Swords Adventures) it became something epic. Giving each player a different set of details forced the sort of teamwork and camaraderie that you just don't get in most games.

Spygon:
My list i know rather different from a lot of people

1=8
2=7
3=9
4=6
5=tatics

Awesome, I'm not the only one who thinks 8 is the best Final Fantasy game.

Anyway for me it goes:

5) 7. It annoys me when this is always touted as the best FF game because it's good but from what I've seen it was a lot of people's introduction to the genre which colours their perception a little bit. I did enjoy it but I couldn't have given less of a fuck when Aeris died. And Sephiroth is not that good a villain. But he is better than the villain from my favourite in the series. Not Edea, she was fantastic, creepy, intimidating and ruthless, but when it got into time travelling Sorceresses it got a bit annoying and you were left with a main antagonist who was basically a non-entity for the entire game.

4) 10. I liked the sphere grid, I liked the summons, I liked Auron and I liked Blitzball. Pretty shallow gamewith no real exploration but of all the games it was probably the most fun to play.

3) 5. Job system pretty much sold it for me. I played it when it was re-released on PS1 alongside 4 and got completely absorbed. Like 10 it's not the deepest but it's mechanics made it fun and it had some of the funnier moments in the series.

2) 9. Most enjoyable story. Lighthearted and sweet at times but with just enough weight to really draw you in.

1) 8. I can't point to any one thing 8 does better than every other FF game, there probably isn't anything. If anything I'd say it has the second best of everything in relation to all the other games. I preferred the story of 9, the combat of 10 and the customisation of 5 but to me 8 gets everything right in equal measure. I liked basically everything about it except for the aforementioned "and here's the real main antagonist". I know you knew she was pulling the strings from the beginning of disc 3, but she still has no presence. Also it was my introduction to the series (Illusion of Gaia or Breath of Fire 3 introduced me to the genre depending on what you count as a JRPG) which colours my perception a little bit.

Oh actually romance, 8 had my favourite romance.

Final Fantasy 8 was terrible and Final Fantasy 9 had the superior card game.

My opinion is law.

I can't make a top 5 list of FF games because I've only actually played 3 of them. Those 3, VII, VIII, and X, were all games that I enjoyed when I played them, and indeed I still have all of them. If I cared enough, I could pop em into my PS2 and play em to see how they would hold up today. I could, but I have better things to do. :o

Anyway, of the 3 I played, this is my order:

3. VIII
2. VII
1. X

Bwee... funnily enough, that's also the order I played them in, from the top. Meaning I played VIII first, then VII, then several years later, at a whim, I tried X. I liked VIII's characters, VII's plot, but for me X beat them in an overall sense. Sure Tidus was a little annoying at first, but Yuna and Auron make up for whatever flaws he had. And story? X still has one of my favorite game endings ever.

Now i'm going to do something else. *flees*

For me it goes:
1) FF VI
2) FF X
3) FF VII
4) FF VIII
5) FF X-2 (yeah, that's right!)

I never played Tactics, probably won't. Same for FF IX but that is definitely on my to-do list.
FF VI is my #1 mostly because Kefka is an amazing villain and is basically the Joker of FF.
FF X was my first, the one that popped my FF cherry. I fell in love with the world and the very accessible battle system. Also blitzball.
Nothing really needs to be said about how great FF VII is. It's already been said.
FF VIII had great creature designs, a lot of polish, great music, and Triple Triad was super addicting.
I am constantly defending X-2, and will continue to do so. It had an engaging battle system, great job system, and never took itself too seriously. I think the thing I like most about it is the setting. Every FF title tasks you with "saving the world." FF X-2 asks the question, "What happens to the world after it's been saved?"

over the past couple decades i have tried SO hard to like final fantasy 6. i keep hearing what an amazing story is has and i want to be pulled in but i just cant get in to it, no matter how hard i try. im up to the part where im supposed to go to the floating continent and i just dont care about whats going on. maybe the story picks up after the floating continent, so so far nothing in the game has really stood out to me except the graphics, which look amazing for the time

for me personally, 7 and 10 are tied for first, with final fantasy 13 being a pretty close second (thats right haters, i fuckin LOVED final fantasy 13). the rest of the games, like final fantasy 6, i just couldnt get in to. i played final fantasy 9 until the final disc, before i just decided that i just didnt care at all about the plot or any of the characters and that probably wouldnt change by that point

This is always a controversial list to make, the path of least resistance is 6,7,10 and tactics which are the huge blockbuster games and there is no helping in the order you put them in, any one could be no. 1, the last place can go to 8,9 or 5 or 1 (but 1 is more of a pity thing =D)

Darks63:

aeric90:
I turned this off when the mistake of equating FFV with the NA release of FFII was made.

I glad he didn't do the usual thing that most FF fans do and put FF7 on a pedestal of #1 and put FF6 there instead. I know it's opinion and purely subjective but i found FF7 to have an anticlimatic final battle. The final battle was easymode if you had powered up to defeat the optional weapon bosses.

Um....all of the final bosses are easy mode if you powered up to beat the optional bosses. Those guys are always a lot harder then the final boss, the fact that they give huge rewards for beating them just makes things even easier. So that's not really a FF7 thing, just saying.

Neronium:
5.) FF VI
2.) FF IX

Omnicide:
snip

I have to defend my love of FF XII all the time. Heck I mainly play the international one now which helps improve my points, but still people give XII too much flak if you ask me.

i didnt like final fantasy 12 but i loved final fantasy 13, so i can definitely relate, as far as constantly having to defend a game is concerned

What - no IX? (OK, I know I just lost a few points for originality, but I must say it.)

IX wasn't really a big deal when it first came out, but since it actually seems to have grown more popular than mighty VII over time, I say this ALONE should have gotten it on the list.

Maybe in place of Tactics? I'm sure Tactics was good - but shouldn't that be on a "Top 5 Final Fantasy SPINOFFS" - list, rather than this one?

So the top list is V-VIII and Tactics, which was developed during that period? That is one hell of a golden age.

00slash00:
over the past couple decades i have tried SO hard to like final fantasy 6. i keep hearing what an amazing story is has and i want to be pulled in but i just cant get in to it, no matter how hard i try. im up to the part where im supposed to go to the floating continent and i just dont care about whats going on. maybe the story picks up after the floating continent, so so far nothing in the game has really stood out to me except the graphics, which look amazing for the time

for me personally, 7 and 10 are tied for first, with final fantasy 13 being a pretty close second (thats right haters, i fuckin LOVED final fantasy 13). the rest of the games, like final fantasy 6, i just couldnt get in to. i played final fantasy 9 until the final disc, before i just decided that i just didnt care at all about the plot or any of the characters and that probably wouldnt change by that point

You're pretty close to the World of Ruin and that's actually what a lot of people say is the less fun part of the game. It's where I stopped playing at any rate.

00slash00:

Neronium:
5.) FF VI
2.) FF IX

Omnicide:
snip

i didnt like final fantasy 12 but i loved final fantasy 13, so i can definitely relate, as far as constantly having to defend a game is concerned

Hell, I enjoyed BOTH Final Fantasy 12 and Final Fantasy 13 (and 13-2).

Every game had its own unique strengths, and faults, to it. It just so happens that one of FF-13's biggest faults came from the part of the fanbase that is completely obsessive, and even more anal, about their own particular FF game that anything else but it was terrible.

That, and the tutorial. 20-25 hours is too long, and the grind to branch out into other roles, that is way too long too. 13-2 thankfully fixed those problems, but it introduced extremely obtrusive DLC... its a give and take I suppose.

As for my list? No clue... Honestly I've played damn near every single Final Fantasy game out there... its hard to really list them in terms of favorite...

One thing I can say was VII needed to seriously be knocked down somewhere to like number 9 on a list of top ten. The game was just nothing but fan service and nothing truly innovative other than having 3D sprites. The character design was flawed, combat left a great deal to be desired, and frankly, the villain was mediocre at best. I mean come on....a whiny mom as boy complaining that his mother is a machine? So he wears a fricken trench coat and carries a nodachi. That does not, a true badass make. Oooh he killed a lil flower girl. PLEASE! Yer talking about a character offed at a point in the game where yeah, she used to be nailing a palette swapped version of your character, and we're supposed to care about her? Bull!
Now ya take a look at VI and what do you have? Innovative character design, along with actual theme music for each and every character (and believe me, there's a LOT of em), a battle system that's unmatched, and lets not mention a villain that tops all others. I mean come on....sephiroth wanted to hit a CITY with a small METEOR. Meanwhile Kefka ENDED THE WORLD. HALF WAY THRU THE FRICKEN GAME. In other words, WIN. Nuff fricken SAID.

Yes, Final Fantasy IV (DS-GBA, etc) is Final Fantasy II (Classic) the one with Cecil, Rosa, Kain, Golbez, etc.. I was actually disappointed this wasn't in the top 5.

I can pick my five favorite but it is much more difficult to pick an order for them after that. So in order of release my favorites are I(NES original), IV, VII, IX, and X. A special shout out to V and VI are certainly in order though. I just love that series so dang much!

cursedseishi:

00slash00:

Neronium:
5.) FF VI
2.) FF IX

Hell, I enjoyed BOTH Final Fantasy 12 and Final Fantasy 13 (and 13-2).

Every game had its own unique strengths, and faults, to it. It just so happens that one of FF-13's biggest faults came from the part of the fanbase that is completely obsessive, and even more anal, about their own particular FF game that anything else but it was terrible.

That, and the tutorial. 20-25 hours is too long, and the grind to branch out into other roles, that is way too long too. 13-2 thankfully fixed those problems, but it introduced extremely obtrusive DLC... its a give and take I suppose.

As for my list? No clue... Honestly I've played damn near every single Final Fantasy game out there... its hard to really list them in terms of favorite...

there wasnt any need to branch out in to other roles though. i mean, it was kind of a shame that i had to use hope the whole game because he was the best for magic, but it has easily the least amount of grinding of any jrpg ive ver played, due to level caps that were only lifted once you got past a certain part. unlike most jrpgs, you dont have to spend time grinding just so you can beat a certain boss. the only reason you ever have to grind is if you decide you want hope to be a commando or something. i actually much prefer the leveling system of 13 to 13-2 (which im in the process of playing now). the level up system of 13-2 confused me so much at first. i had to look at a bunch of tutorials and im still not 100% certain i completely get it

Captain Sunshine:

00slash00:

You're pretty close to the World of Ruin and that's actually what a lot of people say is the less fun part of the game. It's where I stopped playing at any rate.

so in other words, if im not in to the game yet i probably never will be?

list wasn't half bad. VI was right where it should be. the rest are pretty interchangeable to me, but the list presented wasn't offensive for the most part. though i'm surprised VIII was there instead of IX. hatin' on IX's only going to get people riled up. it's a popular favorite. also IIE was IVJ, not V. V was V...

Baronvvoltage:
One thing I can say was VII needed to seriously be knocked down somewhere to like number 9 on a list of top ten. The game was just nothing but fan service and nothing truly innovative other than having 3D sprites. The character design was flawed, combat left a great deal to be desired, and frankly, the villain was mediocre at best. I mean come on....a whiny mom as boy complaining that his mother is a machine? So he wears a fricken trench coat and carries a nodachi. That does not, a true badass make. Oooh he killed a lil flower girl. PLEASE! Yer talking about a character offed at a point in the game where yeah, she used to be nailing a palette swapped version of your character, and we're supposed to care about her? Bull!
Now ya take a look at VI and what do you have? Innovative character design, along with actual theme music for each and every character (and believe me, there's a LOT of em), a battle system that's unmatched, and lets not mention a villain that tops all others. I mean come on....sephiroth wanted to hit a CITY with a small METEOR. Meanwhile Kefka ENDED THE WORLD. HALF WAY THRU THE FRICKEN GAME. In other words, WIN. Nuff fricken SAID.

Actually the meteor would have wiped out all life on Earth, not just Midgar. He wanted to make a crater larger than Northern Crater (which was many miles in diameter). The meteor would have devastated the planet so completely that it would have required the entirety of the Lifestream to fix it. He would then adsorb the Lifestream when the planet tried to heal. I won't argue about the relative merits of VI and VII, as I love them both and it is entirely subjective. I just wanted to clear that story point up.

Well what do you know, the list was all the games that came out of PS in 1997-1999. Some how I get the feeling these were the only FF games you've played, especially with that reasonless ranking of FFVIII, and this list only shows what years you were playing a lot of games.

Still, its there is always going to be some debated with this sort of list, so I shouldn't criticizes without given my list to be ridiculed over. Very well, but let's keep this simple and stick with the main franchise minus the MMO's and the ones that never left Japan on non-portable console. Yes, Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions is the best damn game of them all, but you don't need me to rank it to know that.

These leaves me with a nice round number of 10 games to rank, so let me do a top 10, which I split into three tiers. Here's my favorite song from each game to listen to as you read:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1InYjqksUO0&list=PLD8D4C57EC59606B2

The Bottom Tier

Look, I've playing hundreds of RPG's and Final Fantasy games aren't that special or horrible. Its the consistent quality of these games that make me keep playing them, so while I am about to bash the worse Final Fantasy games, I don't think they're that far off from others in the series.

Middle Tier

I'm splitting this into tiers, because I think the different between games in each tier is so small I wanted to point out major groupings. So these are the average Final Fantasy games.

Top Tier

These games are all great, and I have a hard time ordering them. What all these games have is some of the most memorable casts in any game, atmosphere developing plots, fun mini-games, a well structure learning curve, and combat systems with surprising depth allowing you to over power enemies or beat even the strongest foes without learning magic, keeping initial equipment, and remaining at lowest possible level. I mention before that if my ranking included any game that had the name Final Fantasy, then 5th would be FFXIII-2 and 1st would be FFTactics. Here are the three in the middle as best as I can rank them. So I'm going to just gush.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and such, but when you start the list with FF8 and 5, I'm not going to listen to your opinion without laughing at it. >_> Those are hands down the worst stories short of X-2 that have been in an FF game.

Mine shows a definite favoritism, but screw it:
5) VII
4) IV
3) VI
2) Tactics
1) XII Zodiac Job System (fixes every single issue in original version)

I love me some Ivalice. Also, for personal amusement, here's the bottom five(worst):

5) VIII
4) Mystic Quest
3) XIII
2) X-2
1) XIV -This game was literally an atrocity on mankind.

How did IX lose out to VIII? o_0 VIII Sucked monkey balls, Ultimecia and that ending sucked too (i'd go into detail but i won't bore you... unless you ask ;) ).
Glad VI is number 1 though think till the gba game came out (which was when i first played it) it was a bit under rated.

Tiamattt:

Darks63:

aeric90:

Um....all of the final bosses are easy mode if you powered up to beat the optional bosses. Those guys are always a lot harder then the final boss, the fact that they give huge rewards for beating them just makes things even easier. So that's not really a FF7 thing, just saying.

It was more than just that I also didn't feel all that invested in the story either. It really felt like the main motivation besides stopping meteor was the avenging Aerith and i never really cared that much for her so yeah.

but your right every FF since 5 has had those hard as balls optional bosses.

Yeah this was a pretty safe list. And the masterpiece that is Final Fantasy IX continues to not get the recognition it deserves. Also, nice click bait in the thumbnail.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here