Escape to the Movies: Oz the Great and Powerful

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Oz the Great and Powerful

Follow MovieBob over the rainbow in his review of Sam Raimi's Oz the Great and Powerful.

Watch Video

This is really good news. I was hoping this one would turn out good. Thanks Bob!

Did I just see Black, White and Red Mages?

Keith K:

Well it IS a Fantasy :P

Interesting that Glinda is a heroine in this movie considering she's a malign conspirator who screws with Dorthy throughout the original Wizard of Oz.

I had sort of convinced myself that this was gonna suck... Rotten Tomatoes isn't crazy about it but that seems to be mostly because people wanted something that lived up the original. Still not sure if it's worth 12 bucks and 2 hours of my time, but it's worth thinking about at least.

Wait, there were two good Spider-Man movies? When did they come out?

DVS BSTrD:

Well it IS a Fantasy :P[/quote]

But far from Final.

Johnson McGee:
Interesting that Glinda is a heroine in this movie considering she's a malign conspirator who screws with Dorthy throughout the original Wizard of Oz.

And Cracked.com had a good article: The Wicked Witch of the West had been wronged. Her sister is dead and she wants what she can get from her estate (ruby slippers). As far as we know, she is entitled to them. Yet Glinda pushes Dorothy into stealing them from her.

The rest of the story is just WWW trying to get back what is rightfully hers. And they make her the bad guy. Sheesh!

Is it just me or does the movie not load currently?

Holycrap, the ads for this movie make it look bad but the stuff in the review looked awesome, if this movie flops then its because the advertising for it was shit.

Wait...wait...wait...it's actually good?! Wow I did not expect that at all.

Also, interesting to see see someone else play with the "lying reveal" plot. It's everywhere in fiction, film, kid's movies, so it's always fun to see that sort of thing get shaken up. Course I have been working on a manuscript that plays with that plot in the same way Bob sort of implied Oz does so I am sort of annoyed. Oh well.

Sam Remy: Making sure you remember the good Evil Dead before you see the upcoming piece-of-shit remake...

What is it with actiony remakes of fairy tales/children stories these days? There've been Snow White, Hansel & Gretel, Alice, Jack, probably a few others I can't remember/didn't know in the first place, now this Oz. How exactly did this kind of thing became "in"?

Black Swan?

That was Natalie Portman with the lead right?

Is she the WWoW? Shit if she is I'm putting aside time to go see this.

Y'know, usually my decision on whether or not I want to go see a film isn't too swayed by Bob, but in this case he's put me on the fence. When I saw the trailer for this I thought it looked EXACTLY like another Alice in Wonderland (and the middling reviews didn't help), but to have him actively denounce that comparison kind of makes me more curious to see it now.

I hope they reference Glinda's douchebaggery in this movie, when you think about it (as many have no doubt pointed out), in the original movie adaptation SHE is the reason Dorothy is targeted by the WWotW in the first place, and her "you wouldn't have believed me if I told you" justification for not telling Dorothy she could just go home by saying "there's no place like home" was shady even back then.

Plus I hope the 'Ruby Slippers' are the proper 'Silver Shoes' of the original book, as they were only Ruby in the movie to take advantage of the new-then colour in movies...Buuuut if they want to shout out to that particular movie, Ruby Slippers may make more sense.

OH! YEAH! Red Mage FTW!!

I saw the ads and expected this to be terrible but now I might check it out.
I'm curious or me not having seen the original makes the film less enjoyable.

When i heard/saw that spoiler warning i died >XD

Smertnik:
What is it with actiony remakes of fairy tales/children stories these days? There've been Snow White, Hansel & Gretel, Alice, Jack, probably a few others I can't remember/didn't know in the first place, now this Oz. How exactly did this kind of thing became "in"?

The same way it happened with comics and videogames before, screenwriters figured out fairy tales has a pool of underused stories they can adapt with less effort that writing something new (most of the times, the adaptation just makes it "edgy"), are public domain and had the brand name recognition to make it marketable at a smaller cost than a new or obscure IP. They also has the uncommon property of being relatively safe for children while being nostalgia catalysts for parents.

In this case, the Alice (2010) movie is the main guilty of this particular trend of movies, since it was the first in a long time to prove they can be commercially successful.

Nice to see that Bob is still narfling Raimi's Garthak. All nostalgia for the Evil Dead series behind, the man has made what, two or three unreservedly GOOD movies in his entire career?

He sure as hell doesn't qualify to be ranked as one of the "great American filmmakers".

Aside from that, the movie looks good, and I'm interested in seeing it despite it being directed by Sam Raimi.

Keith K:

http://youtu.be/y-dhakqObKg
this should have been in the movie then.

OT: This is good I was kinda hopeing this would be a good movie.

Smertnik:

You get the benefit of centuries of massive brand recognition without having to pay the current copyright holder for the rights because they're public domain.

Also, the Victorian versions of most of these old fairy tales are seen as children's stories, especially if they were adapted by Disney at some point. But if you trace most of them back to their earlier origins, they are often dark.

cyvaris:
Wait...wait...wait...it's actually good?! Wow I did not expect that at all.

Completely with you. Everything about this screamed 'terrible' to me. Now I'm tempted to give it a try after all.

Oh - and Bob, I think you meant 'execrable' rather than 'exorable'!

Can't be helped now Jack, can't be helped now.

Monsterfurby:
Is it just me or does the movie not load currently?

Just keep reloading it is the ad pop up. Once it was gone it worked fine for me. Though took serveral reloads of the page and clicking x on the ad before it would.

Actually that hat made me think of Carmen Sandiego first.

Alright, so I pretty much JUST want to watch this to see a younger Wicked Witch of the West.
I'm also glad they avoided any unnecessary cleavage/push-up corset on the witches.

I love the original, absolutely adore it, but no matter the praise, this feels like a remake/retooling of the original, so..No, I won't hold my hopes up.

Damn it, I got way too curious about the actress that played the Wicked Witch of the West and looked it up on Wikipedia. Maaan, and I might even see this movie too.

Smertnik:

I'm just wondering why all of them are ACTION movies. A lot of them just don't work as action set piece material and dropping references to the originals just causes irritation. I guess studios just don't see the point in good family movies when Disney/PIXAR have a borderline monopoly on that.

Smertnik:

I think they have more leeway here though since it's "based on the books" supposedly, though there isn't any specific book to my knowledge that tells this particular story. Also judging from the review, in all fairness this doesn't seem like an action movie at all. I mean yeah, more actiony than the original but it's hardly darker and edgier, and seems to be more of an adventure film with the amount of spectacle that is expected from a family oriented blockbuster.

Shame I'm already sick of it from the trailer showing up before every single video that I view on here.

Glad I wasn't the only one that was thinking they were going for the mage triad.

I'd be cautious. Bob's normally very good, but he has a tendency to get slightly de-calibrated when his Preferred aesthetic (Raimi, or even a Burton) is in play. This is why the Nolan trilogy gets his constant wrath, but Tim Burton's batman is often pushed by him as an example of "how Batman is supposed to be!".

That awkward moment when the site's two major film critics say this:

Marter: "If you liked Alice in Wonderland, you'll like this, because it's the same thing."

Moviebob: "This one is great because it isn't like Alice in Wonderland."

Uh.

At any rate, the movie is now on my "To See" list.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here