Escape to the Movies: Oz the Great and Powerful

Pages PREV 1 2 3

I really enjoyed it. The visual effects were superb and it does its intended job really well. It would keep the average 4-12 year old very entertained. And it made it all the better with Mariah Carey's song release for the film ^_^

Bob, care to comment on the fact that the movie has taken basically one of the most female dominated fantasy series and made it about a guy? I mean, the guy is basicly a bumbling idiot that that nearly destroys a nation too, and they make him the hero?

Why?

I lost a bit of my respect for you in this one, sadly.

trty00:

Triaed:
"Great modern American film-makers" I guess everyone is entitled to his opinion :)

The Evil-Dead series, Darkman, Drag Me to Hell...

Yeah, I'd say that qualifies him.

I will grant you the Evil Dead (and not the whole series), but as a cult classic, not because of it's great contribution to film history. I will also grant you the words "modern", "American" and "Film-maker". But that is as far as I am willing to concede!

Again, the operating word here is: opinion

Smertnik:
What is it with actiony remakes of fairy tales/children stories these days? There've been Snow White, Hansel & Gretel, Alice, Jack, probably a few others I can't remember/didn't know in the first place, now this Oz. How exactly did this kind of thing became "in"?

I would not say that Oz is an actiony remake. For one thing the other movies you mentioned try to be 'gritty' This does not, it's still very whimsical and kid friendly. I agree with bob that it's 'feel' is not at all similar to AiW. For example no-one in this movie say for the city guards (and I guess the flying baboon's claws) even have weapons.

Skyweir:
Bob, care to comment on the fact that the movie has taken basically one of the most female dominated fantasy series and made it about a guy? I mean, the guy is basicly a bumbling idiot that that nearly destroys a nation too, and they make him the hero?

Why?

He kinda did in the review.

Skyweir:

Why?

at the about 3:40 in the video he does bring it up. How did you miss that?

Went to see it, didn't personally enjoy it. I really enjoyed the 'wizard' scene at the end, and the movie definitely wasn't bad. But I really feel like Mila Kunis' character kind of bumbled her way through the plot points, being used at every point basically.

Although, I do agree with one thing moviebob, the character I cared most about was the China Doll. She was done very well.

There are over 50 movies based on the Oz books & the two most popular couldn't be assed to actually follow the books. The closest I've seen to following the books is the two anime series, a movie based on Ozma from the 60s, & Return to Oz; which smooshed 2 books together but pulled it off way better than Queen of the Damned could have ever hoped to.

Oz: aka Oscar Z. Diggs is supposed to be a dwarf, midget, vertically impaired. He's also bald. He was old when he arrived 7 he stopped aging when he got there. It was also initially suggested that He & the witch Mombi got rid of the king & he had the witch turn Ozma into a boy & wipe her memory. He has no love interest, ever.

Glinda is supposed to be kind of a badass, & she only wears red. She's queen of the Quadlings. She has a rather mysandristic military made up entirely of female soldiers. She's the most powerful sorceress on Oz & taught Oscar his magic tricks. She has no love interests either.

There are only 2 good witches. The Munchkin Witch was not one of them.

Dorothy: A bitchy, insistent little girl with short blonde hair. Takes great pleasure in telling people they're wrong & correcting them. Not afraid to throw a punch. Eventually gets her aunt & uncle to move to Oz.

The nameless elderly white-clothed munchkin witch from the land of the Gillikins was given the name Glenda & made taller in the MGM movie.

Tin Woodsman: Nick Chopper, a flamboyant narcissistic android/ghost-in-a-shell.

Scarecrow: an idiot who thinks he's a genius. At least he's smarter than Jack Pumpkinhead, whom influenced Jack Skellington.

Cowardly Lion: A lazy violent bully with low self esteem who only thinks he's a wimp.

Billina: A talking chicken.

Tik-Tok: A surprisingly emotional& thoughtful robot who insists he neither feeks nor thinks.

Nomes: The only real reoccurring antagonists, but too stupid to be of any real threat.

The Gentleman:
Sam Remy: Making sure you remember the good Evil Dead before you see the upcoming piece-of-shit remake...

What its a remake?

GOD DAMNIT!

When I first heard about it I thought it was just remastered and being rereleased in theaters.

Now I am pissed ~.~

Desert Punk:

The Gentleman:
Sam Remy: Making sure you remember the good Evil Dead before you see the upcoming piece-of-shit remake...

What its a remake?

GOD DAMNIT!

When I first heard about it I thought it was just remastered and being rereleased in theaters.

Now I am pissed ~.~

From what I hear, the remake is actually pretty good (and Raimi is the producer, so it should be an ok movie at least)

Is it me or did Bob made a quick dive into a pile of Colombian snow? Or is he going to change Escape to the movies into Zerofilmpunctuation? because he went all out and almost no breath at all, lol.

Keith K:
Did I just see Black, White and Red Mages?

Who's Afraid of the Red, Yellow and Blue? Oh, no, wait... That's a different fairy tale.

I liked the movie fine thought it played to the whole 3d schtick a bit too much though. But then again I suppose its a kids movie.

That would be my only real criticism. Oh and ******SPOILER ALERT ***** the lame ass gift-giving ceremony at the end.

Poor enough ending.

Just came from seeing - I hated it. Motivations make no sense, logic and reasoning don't exist, and the side characters aren't interesting enough for me to care. I'm really rather pissed this looking to be a franchise.

So that's why the voice in my head want to watch a movie...

I was kind of concerned about the whole 'Oz' thing, but Sam Raimi knows what he is doing... despite the evidence of Spider-Man 3

Oz Great and Powerful Copyright Lawyers could also be the film's title, was a story that they could not use the same shade of green used in the original Wizard of Oz movie: http://blogs.crikey.com.au/cinetology/2013/03/10/we%E2%80%99re-off-to-see-the-lawyers-the-wonderful-lawyers-of-oz-because-because-because/

The original series of books is in the public domain now, but it is hard to make a new version without being influenced by the movie. There are 40+ Oz books, some with very little to do with the original story (Stephen King even had a go.)

I do remember reading the story in primary school, there was a whole extra section of how Dorothy escaped Oz after killing the Wicked Witch of the West.

I remember watching the 1985 Return to Oz movie also by Disney, was very dark.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089908/

Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipivUGVydMY

"Unreservedly recommended", Bob says.

Funny. I haven't had such an unpleasant taste in my throat since Alice in Wonderland. Okay, not specifically true, but it put me strictly in mind of that particular waste of life most prominently, so I'm going to harp on it. How the hell are you not railing on this, Bob? Is it just the first half, where most of the Raimi aesthetic is apparent, and the handful of scenes with a blissfully and tragically abused Mila Kunis having all the "Gasp, he's swooning over everyone! Oh Noes!" scenes that blurred your vision, or do you just enjoy letting tasteless and bland second halfs completely wash over you? Sure, it's all coherent, but that's about the best I can give it.

Original dynamic intact? Seriously? When ALL of the female leads start quivering at the knees when the misogynistic mook of a con-man comes in with charm and plays all of them right off the bat? "Behold, our great and wonderous mag--ooh, look James Franco, guess it's time to swoon!" Yeah, they still have all the power, but now it's used almost entirely to the benefit of his character, whether supporting him when he falls (literally, even!), or helping to shape him so that he can have a crisis of character and become a better man? As opposed to the old dynamic, of Oz being just short of an antagonist but full on hindrance in his quest for more power where he had to trick a helpless, know-nothing, hapless child (who more or less stumbled into victory) because he had no sway whatsoever? Yeah, that's intact, sure enough.

Did enjoy the Little China Girl, though, and I'd like for her to have a name, if only this wasn't Oz, where practically no one gets names beyond a mild description.

Snownine:
Oh, God dammit. Why did I look up who played the Wicked Witch? Anyone who is interested in seeing this flick should not look up the actress before seeing it.

You know, I really would have liked that better had they not immediately jumped the gun on it, but let it play out a little more, maybe draw out the transformation over more than about two seconds, and maybe kept us guessing that it wouldn't be

, instead of having that be the clue. Shame, really.

Huh... I wasn't planning to see this, but MovieBob makes it sound pretty interesting, so I might just give it a chance! (As long as I can find a place showing it in 2D; no sense in paying extra to get a headache) :P

Also, I'm a bit confused/surprised that he expressed a wish that it had more musical numbers; that doesn't seem like it would normally be Bob's thing.

Skyweir:

Why?

He addresses this in the video, admitting that the female leads are the ones moving the story forward and wielding the power... and I'm not seeing how Oz nearly destroyed a nation. Trying to avoid spoilers as much as possible the "nation" I'm assuming you're referring to is already destroyed and the citizens are either refugees or living in fear. While the original MGM movie and Wicked focussed on female characters the source material (the books) ran the gamut of protagonists from female to male to animal to robot. The Wizard is essential to the entire series and the story of how he came to Oz was handled very well (IMO, your mileage may vary) and in keeping with the aesthetic and morality of both the books and the Judy Garland movie (with hints of Old-School Burton and Raimi). And OZ at the beginning of the movie is a TERRIBLE person, it's only because of the female characters that he is essentially shamed into becoming a hero. This movie is as much about Glinda influencing events as the Wizard of Oz was, and GLinda actually takes a more active hand in this one.

I saw it last night, and I honestly admit that I left the theater pretty angry. I found the entire film to be very disappointing. I don't think the actors were handled very well and I couldn't believe the delivery of any of their lines.

But as I read through the comments just now, I was reminded that when all things are said and done this is a film for children. For kids, I think it's imaginative, scary, and probably a heck of a lot funnier than I found it to be. I guess I keep forgetting that my age is not the target audience anymore.

My questions are these: Does Raimi still include "the Classic" in his movies, and if so, where is it in Oz?

I didn't have very high expectations and enjoyed it. The theater was mostly full on the Friday of the second week which bodes well for the grosses.

Because the opinion of a misogynistic hypocrite who once spent a whole video justifying (weakly) that Samus' blatant character rape was totes cool is the best one to go to when judging whether a movie is sexist.

An alternative: http://chezapocalypse.com/oz-the-great-and-powerful-or-get-those-bitches-some-dk-bitches-love-dk/

I await your knee jerk contrarian and inevitably sexist rebutle(s).

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here