Rumor Has It

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Rumor Has It

MovieBob takes on some of the many rumors floating around Hollywood about the next Star Wars, Justice League, and more.

Read Full Article

I'll admit, I do find it somewhat depressing that a fairly hefty proportion of people seem so militant in their belief that bringing Bale and Nolan back and bolting JLA onto the end of Rises is the only way for a Justice League film to be successful.

Doing a happy little dance over reading this snippet:

Rumor: There will be at least one more Indiana Jones

Plausibility: Nonexistant

It's been a long time, but I seem to remember that one of the defining Arcs of "Guardians Of The Galaxy" was the search for Captain America's shield in the future. As as a result, if I'm remembering that correctly, they could easily modify that arc as an excuse to insert them into the Marvel movie continuity, and actually have Captain America make an appearance.

I'd personally say this might be plausible, because to be honest think Cap is the Avenger in most need of help right now, since he seemed to have some trouble holding up his end of "Avengers", whether that's due to the script writers, or the actor needing some work on his choreography is a matter of opinion, but when "Black Widow" who was functioning as a supporting character arguably kicks more butt than Captin America who is supposed to be a major character, I think that's something of an issue.

Actually I just looked it up, and yes I had the storyline correct, and even found a picture of Vance Astro holding the shield:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vance_Astro

So yeah, it might be wrong, but I'd say this one seems like a plausible crossover.

I'm guessing that they aren't even going to try and touch the entire Justice/Marvel Boy concept and the idea of seperate dimensions along with time travel involved here with a 10' pole though.

I'm probably in the minority here. But I would be totally into a reboot of Indiana Jones. Indy was a my childhood hero, that series and I have a lot of fond memories, dressing up at Halloween and stuff like that. Let's face it Harrison Ford is what 70 now? While he IS Indiana Jones, let's just accept that he is too old to carry the torch any longer and just close that chapter, go back and start all over again.

Disney now owns the rights so it's probable that they'll want to go there at some point anyway. I say go for it, let's just bite the bullet and hit the reboot on that one, rather than do injustice to the series by dragging out a 5th movie.

Kmadden2004:
I'll admit, I do find it somewhat depressing that a fairly hefty proportion of people seem so militant in their belief that bringing Bale and Nolan back and bolting JLA onto the end of Rises is the only way for a Justice League film to be successful.

Maybe not the only, but Green Lantern (at the movies) and Wonder Woman (on tv) both crashed and burned spectacularly and with Man of Steel still an unknown quanitity Nolan is the only sure bet they've got. I can envisage Nolan doing it as well - especially if he's got any uber-expensive pet projects he'd like a blank cheque to finance in return.

As for Bale, he'll do it no question. If he'd willingly sign up for Terminator: Salvation he'll sign up for anything.

Getting away from Nolan's Batman is not only an incredibly good idea for DCU movies but I think is the only way they will be successful.

Also: if you've been reading the comics, Iron Man is involved with the Guardians of the Galaxy. Which is being written by Bendis, who is one of the Marvel brain trust people. Which means he gets to see every script and provide feedback on things like movies and books and whatever the hell else Marvel does.

So...I could be terribly wrong but I'm going to go with Iron Man. Which is too bad because he's the most 'exposed' and I think he could use the least amount of extra time.

As much as I didn't really like Indy 4 (Or Indy 2 for that matter. Let's face it; it's not a perfect series), the explanation that it's a way for Lucas and Spielberg to bro-out is kind of adorable.

As far as Nolan shepherding the DC franchise, if he can acknowledge he has particular quirks and specialties when it comes to the movies he makes, and keeps them in check, then the whole thing could still turn out really well. I know I was excited and relieved when I heard Joss Whedon would be taking the reigns of the Marvel Movieverse. That kind of high-quality figurehead can do a lot when it comes to assuring a certain level of quality.

Therumancer:
It's been a long time, but I seem to remember that one of the defining Arcs of "Guardians Of The Galaxy" was the search for Captain America's shield in the future. As as a result, if I'm remembering that correctly, they could easily modify that arc as an excuse to insert them into the Marvel movie continuity, and actually have Captain America make an appearance.

Indeed, Vance Astro/Major Victory/John Cena/Cupcake Lad has used Cap's shield, a knockoff thereof, and a containment suit similar to the uniform of Captain America. He even uses his telekinetic abilities to return the shield to him like Cap does with talent.

Even if they don't search for the shield, there's plenty of ties between Astrovik (With whatever name they give him) and Rogers to include him....If they use him. I didn't think the promotional material showed off the Major. The cast for GotG wasn't always the same, so it really depends on what version they opt for.

One version even includes a time traveling, age-altered, powered up version of Wonder Man, IIRC.

However, with rumours afly that Nova (Vance Astrovik's teammate in the 616 universe version of Marvel) will be involved, and ships from the promos that are supposedly Nova Corp ships hanging in the background, I've heard weirder things.

As one of the six fans of the New Warriors, I'd like to see both happen. Just saying.

I'm I the only one that would like to see Bale as The Bat again?? :<

Nolan both saved and "ruined" Warner Brothers' chances at creating a DC film franchise. On one hand, it made people realize that Batman could work on the big screen again after Schumacher's catastrophe. On the other, Nolan's cold, almost clinical take on the character meant that this new Batman would be incompatible with any other DC hero in a team-up flick. His films got really popular, but instead of using Nolan's success as inspiration to follow new or at least underused takes on superheroes, they've decided to ape his style and it absolutely butchered some of their attempts.

And then you have the legions of fanboys who would cry foul at Warner Bros. if their other franchise films didn't follow the Nolan Style. Can you imaging what a Nolan style The Flash would be like?

ZZoMBiE13:
Doing a happy little dance over reading this snippet:

Rumor: There will be at least one more Indiana Jones

Plausibility: Nonexistant

Agreed. I thought the sentiment was that damn near nobody wanted to see another Indiana Jones film after what happened with Crystal Skull. Seeing as I own the Indy 1,2 and 3 box set, I actually just like to pretend that there never was a fourth one.

I'd like to think it would be Iron Man in Guardians of the Galaxy, since he seems like he's going to have a big part in the current comic, but I doubt it. Robert Downey Jr. is probably way to expensive for this movie (apparently he cost Marvel $50 million for the Avengers).

Reeve:

I don't want him to be the Bat again for his own sake. His vocal chords can't take much more.

I'm not even as tired of Nolanverse Batman as you are, but I don#t want to see it happen either. Nolan works best when he's making projects that he wants to make and his Batman series was his thing and it was meant from the ground up to stand alone. It makes no sense and its just interfering with what is a pretty good standalone trilogy, to bring it all back again.

The only saving grace is, Nolan has shown that he doesn't mind having radically different atmospheres in his 'verse so there's a chance he would dial it up to a Batman who could function better in a group without worrying too much about continuity

I used to think that the Nolan Batman was incompatible with the rest of the DC Universe, but then Rises came out and reminded me that Begins existed. This is a setting with a secret society of assassins and various big name individual players running around - Batman, Ra's Al Ghul, Bane, Catwoman, the Joker, etc. It's already fairly "comic booky" as far as setting goes, and you could easily fit in any number of non-super powered heroes like Green Arrow, Deathstroke, etc. and going from there, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to say that magic and aliens may or may not exist.

Kmadden2004:

Personally I don't think it's necessarily the only way for it to succeed, it's just a big hassle to do otherwise. I mean what other options are there? You reboot the character with a new movie, which might not make sense to audiences since Rises came out just last year and it's that particular Batman they're enamored with? Or you introduce him sort of at the end, inviting everyone to join the JLA and introduce him fully in the actual movie and possibly confuse people as to why this Batman isn't played by Christian Bale or JGL, or if he is Christian Bale, why he's alive?

Bob:
It's been established that Christian Bale simply isn't a movie star without his Bat-kevlar

Someone hasn't seen American Psycho

I couldn't help but think the story of Spielberg and Lucas makin' sandy castles and coming up with the best'est hero ever was just adorable.

Therumancer:
Snip

Crimson_Dragoon:
Snip

I would think it would be Thor that meets the GotG. Out of all the current Avengers he is the only one who can/ has traveled to other worlds.

Gatx:
I used to think that the Nolan Batman was incompatible with the rest of the DC Universe, but then Rises came out and reminded me that Begins existed. This is a setting with a secret society of assassins and various big name individual players running around - Batman, Ra's Al Ghul, Bane, Catwoman, the Joker, etc. It's already fairly "comic booky" as far as setting goes, and you could easily fit in any number of non-super powered heroes like Green Arrow, Deathstroke, etc. and going from there, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to say that magic and aliens may or may not exist.

Kmadden2004:

Personally I don't think it's necessarily the only way for it to succeed, it's just a big hassle to do otherwise. I mean what other options are there? You reboot the character with a new movie, which might not make sense to audiences since Rises came out just last year and it's that particular Batman they're enamored with? Or you introduce him sort of at the end, inviting everyone to join the JLA and introduce him fully in the actual movie and possibly confuse people as to why this Batman isn't played by Christian Bale or JGL, or if he is Christian Bale, why he's alive?

I think, in the long term, they'd be better off just rebooting the character now while they have the opportunity, rather than keep trying to bolt more limbs onto a series that was only ever designed to be a trilogy. At least that way they can tailor him to the DC movie universe, instead of trying to contort the world to fit within Nolan's work.

As much as I like the trilogy, I really don't think it has the mileage to support an ongoing series, they just burnt too many bridges with the way the story played out, and bringing Bale back for JLA would just kind of cheapen the ending of Rises.

I really hope they don't bring bale back, aside from throat cancer voice it will only confuse people on if the JLU movie verse is connected to the batman trilogy. I know for a lot it would be obvious but admit it there are far too many people who would ask that question. Besides it gives us a chance to go older batman, heck allow for it to be batman who has been around long enough to have had more than one robin. Though that could just b me hoping to see dick grayson in a film as nightwing and nothing says angry dark batman like having this happen after jason going boom.

Not that the movies care too much about the comics, being some bizarre mishmash of the normal and ultimate Marvel universes, but Guardians of the Galaxy is getting a relaunch this month, and the cover of issue #1 does, in fact, have a member of the Avengers front and center....

Kmadden2004:

Not the only way, but the fastest and safest. Out of all the DC characters, Batman is the only one that has a recent hit on his belt...

It took 4 years to Marvel to create the avengers movie universe (2008 from Hulk and Ironman) some of it while not under the wing of Disney's powerhouse... so, for DC to follow suit, they must push several movies down the pipeline, hope for the best and reap the benefits 3 or 4 years down the line (which in Hollywood years, it means 5 to 6), at which point there could be 2 or even 3 avengers movies to compete with; or they can just bite the bullet, get as much star power as they can now and fill all the other roles with unknowns while centering most of the script in Batman/Superman (which, honestly, it happens a lot in the comics already). Of course, quality would suffer, but that is not a priority on their list.

Nolan's an exceptionally talented filmmaker and he can do whatever the hell he wants, I don't see why he'd stick to Batman when he's so resolutely tied together his own trilogy. Same with Bale, man's a great actor and he obviously likes to alternate between stuff. Both have fully thrown themselves at projects in between each Batman film as well.

And from a story point, it makes no bloody sense to bring Bale back.

Reeve:

Good things should come to an end, and Bale/Nolan's Batman was a very good thing that should embrace that.

As a huge Zack Snider fan I would be sad to hear this rumour confirmed. I wonder how long Warner Brothers can stay in business with their level of incompetence.

Reeve:

Bob:
It's been established that Christian Bale simply isn't a movie star without his Bat-kevlar

Someone hasn't seen American Psycho

American psycho is not exactly a Hollywood blockbuster. It has a cult following at best, like everything else Bale has done other than the Dark Knight trilogy.

Sixcess:

Kmadden2004:

Maybe not the only, but Green Lantern (at the movies) and Wonder Woman (on tv) both crashed and burned spectacularly and with Man of Steel still an unknown quanitity Nolan is the only sure bet they've got. I can envisage Nolan doing it as well - especially if he's got any uber-expensive pet projects he'd like a blank cheque to finance in return.

As for Bale, he'll do it no question. If he'd willingly sign up for Terminator: Salvation he'll sign up for anything.

In fairness to Bale, the original ending to Salvation was more interesting and would have taken the series in a really neat direction that could have been fun to play. But the ending was leaked and then changed. Unless I just think an unfounded internet rumor is true and you would be right.

MovieBob:
In other words, making Indy movies for Spielberg is primarily a thing he does for fun with his buddy George. So don't hold your breath.

That is a really nice sentiment and one I always agreed with. It's part of what made the films so special. Lethal Weapon 4 has that in spades. A real sense of these people love making movies and hope you do too, but if you don't it's cool we enjoy it enough for everyone. Might not be the best film but watch it and you can see from the opening scene these people are having a blast.

Boy, oh boy, it's rumor time again, that wonderful time of the year when rumors bounce around so much they get confused with facts. My 1st guess for the Avenger cameo in Guardians would be Iron Man, since he joined them recently in the comics. 2nd guess is Thor. For STAR WARS, I can't be the only one here pumped up the original Luke, Leia, and Han would come back!
As for the justice League rumors, Christian Bale said he'd like to play Batman again, only if the story is sound, whatever that means. WB recognizes they have a great thing going with Nolan, and they do NOT want to give that up.
In short, I believe in Chris Nolan.

im curious how much of a presence would the avenger need to have in the movie for you to consider the rumor true cause right now im just picturing an after the credits are over 10 sec clip of an avenger, although if it is more then that i have to agree with the idea that Thor makes the most sense.

Reeve:

never, I liked him too.

My money is on Iron Man for GotG, he's the most popular, most well known and recognized as far as the films go so it would be odd for Marvel to choose someone else unless Downey outright says no thanks, which is doubtful given the potential money on the plate if he did.

I really hope they get a good actress to play Phyla-Vell. I also hope Groot isn't purely cgi and hes a good excuse for some talented animatronics/costume/puppetry to be used in the movie.

Indy 5: I think that it is very likely that we'll see another one of these movies. When Disney bought out Lucas, that meant that got control of all the IPs that his business had, and it would be insane (in terms of money) to not try to squeeze more out of that franchise. I wouldn't mind that so much, because I can't stand the idea that 4 is the final way the series will be remembered.

Though to be fair, I was happy when I thought Star Wars was dead because my heart couldn't take anymore disappointment. And I don't think I could stand Howard the Duck 2. Maybe Indy 5 is a bad idea after all...

GoTG: I will go and see this movie. Marvel has thus far proved that they deserve my money. I'm just not convinced that this is a franchise that will translate well to a movie. I could be wrong, and it could pull a Star Wars out of the hat. I'm just seeing terrible CGI racoons performing karate...

I guess I'll just have to wait for the trailer

JL: Having Nolan / Bale is a fantastic way to get people to pay entry into the Justice League movie... then fewer for JL2... and then even less for JL3. It was a good series that isn't sustainable for that kind of movie. And is anyone tired of Batman? Really? They have enough stories for 3 new reboots as far as I'm concerned!

We all know that Spider-man is going to need them...

I don't know if a Nolanverse JLA movie would be awesome, but I do know that we DON'T need a Justice League movie that simply apes it's closest contemporary, The Avengers. Believe me, I really love the Marvel films, but my hope is to get something different out of the DC movies, not more of the same. Variety please.

MovieBob:
Rumor: Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher will return for Star Wars - Episode VII

Plausibility: High

Let's get real for minute here. Anyone looking to make a new Star Wars movie wanting Luke, Leia and Han to come back for guaranteed cheers in the trailers and big splashy press interviews about "coming home" and such is not news. Of course Disney wants that, and of course those were among the first three phone calls anyone working on this was instructed to make.

As for whether or not any of them would actually do it, with the exception of Ford (who only shows up for something if he actually wants to, at this point) I'd say chances are pretty damn high. Yes, Hamill and Fisher are both far from the poor house, but they (and their families) could certainly use the mountains of gold they can demand from The Mouse to walk across a green screen and give the Jedi Generation a final triumphant wink. Also, all involved seem to be much more at peace with the franchise than they were even a decade ago, and being feted like red carpet royalty (maybe taking a cast bow to a standing ovation at that year's Oscars, for example) would make for a pretty excellent coda to career stories that currently end on "eventually re-invented himself as a sought-after voice actor" and "ongoing struggles with drugs, alcohol and other issues," respectively. Remember, everyone from Star Trek was pretty much considered a has-been until they started making the movies.

I don't think that'd be a particularly good idea. With the possible exception of Harrison Ford, none of those 3 have exactly aged well and even if they had unless they're planning to have Episode VII take place 40 years after the original trilogy it's going to look really odd.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here