The Big Picture: Trolling The 90s

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Trolling The 90s

No, no - different kind of trolls.

Watch Video

2015? We'll just have to cross that bridge when we come to it :P

Damn Bob, I had all of the Street Sharks toys.
I never even knew there was a show...

Please do that episode.

Finally an episode on this. I goddamn hated stone protectors and that whole fad. Couldn't go a day in school without seeing those MUTHFKERS on every pencil and desk. AAAHH.

I will say it does feels like my (90's) generation just got the worst fads and tends. I feel like an original hipster considering I never got into any of that stuff. I was busy listening to KMFDM and playing with imported Godzilla and transformer toys exclusively. Also the only kid on the block with a Sega Saturn instead of a Playstation.

I had a Cornelius Stone Protector when I was a kid and I picked up a Streetshark from a yard sale. They may have all been gimmicky cash ins chasing the Ninja Turtles runaway success but it was far back enough in time that crass consumerism seemed quaint.

Oh, my god, I was just thinking about the Stone Protectors yesterday. Weird how crap from your formative years just... bubbles up when you're not expecting it.

I'd hate to be that guy whose power was "I can, like, CLIMB stuff." Can you imagine? "Okay, you get super-strength, you get super-speed, you get a sonic scream, you get a genius intellect and invisibility, and you..." "Yes?" "Here's a grappling hook. Go nuts."

Oh god I remember those things. I don't remember the TV shows though. Don't think I ever saw them.

Wait! I remember the Street Sharks!

It was so weird...

Anyway, aren't we all glad that merchandising the crap out of things (even things you don't have the copyright to) is over, right?

As much as I love Sonic Satam, I still can't beleve how much garbage DIC would and or did end up making. Seriously WTF did I just watch?!?

Why hasn't someone made a Trololol Troll yet? And I remember Street Sharks... Barely. Stuff like that made Pokemon seem like the best show ever.

Troll dolls creeped me the fuck out as a child. Now that I know those failed attempts at knock-offs and tv series were made... well, let's just say it's definitely a good thing I insisted on rewatching Thomas the Tank Engine stories until I was eight.

DVS BSTrD:
2015? We'll just have to cross that bridge when we come to it :P

Wow... that was the most subtle one I heard from you yet, Bravo...

Anyways, them 90's cartoons... I swear, If I was in someway, anyway, involved with the production of those cartoons, I would be ashamed enough to never include it on my resume...

MovieBob:
My personal favorite of these attempts was Hasbro's [i]Battle Trolls[i], which reworked whatever boy-toy theme they could think of into Troll form. See: Count Trollula, Sergeant Troll, Trollclops, Punk Troll, Slapshot Troll, the Trollminator, &c.

And now, MLP fan artists are doing that with ponies...

I had a bunch of Trolls... even the Cabbage Patch kind of ones - I loved my Scottie. (He was dressed in a little blue/green jumper and hat with plaid shirt unerneath).... Yeah, I had a bunch. The little baby versions were my favorite. I think they used to ride my MLP toys around the orange shag carpet (forest) of my parent's bedroom, too.

My dad still has one from the 50's in the green felt shorts. Still has it sitting out on a shelf and it's in great shape. Kind of creepy compared to the 90's versions, but I still like it.

Now... I wonder if Scottie is buried in boxes at my place, or if he's at my parents? I should get hime back before they move if it is at their place...

I want a episode all about the street sharks(and other shows like SWAT Kats,Biker Mice from Mars and Road Rovers)

MOTHER FUCKING MAD BALLS

Pfft, I only played with top of the line cartoon tie in toys, none of that troll bullshit.

MovieBob:
Trolling The 90s

No, no - different kind of trolls.

Watch Video

You could do an entire month of TMNT's clones episodes

Oh man. These intros and commercials are making me cringe. I can't believe I liked this stuff.

Stone Protectors were the only thing that got my attention. That flint thing was cool when younger. Not sure why. On Street Sharks, keep in mind the Toys better then the show. While Ninja Turtles better show then toys. I bought a crap load of both when younger. Only one of my Street Shark toys is still around.

Do look forward to more of the 90s stuff. Hope you do something regarding Ahh Real Monster. Since that one I loved for the same reasons as JTHM, Invader Zim, Addams Family, The Monsters, ect.

ForgottenPr0digy:
I want a episode all about the street sharks(and other shows like SWAT Kats,Biker Mice from Mars and Road Rovers)

Don't lump SWAT Kats in with the rest of those shows. SK was actually good. I still love that theme song.

And I'm sorry, Bob. If you're still trying to convince me the 90s didn't suck, you're not helping your case. I always hated Trolls. My little sister had one of the creepy little bastards and it was always in a different spot in the house but I never saw anyone move it. It was stalking me, I swear the most liberating day of my life was when I strapped that thing to an illegal firework at a friends place and sent it straight back from whence it came. That being to hell.

Chrono212:

It was so weird...

I know! A complete flash of nostalgia when I saw that.

The crazy, crazy shows we used to have...

The blond troll from that advertisement looks a little like Sandal from Dragon Age. That's kind of creepy.

Legion:

Chrono212:

It was so weird...

I know! A complete flash of nostalgia when I saw that.

The crazy, crazy shows we used to have...

There was another one where it was a similar sort of thing but they were half dinosaur instead.

Although think about Pokemon: monsters you collect in tiny balls that you then bring out to beat other peoples monsters.

Equally as weird.

They made a Trolls cartoon in typical 90's radical style? That's hilarious. Gotta love the samurai Elvis guy tho.

And I remember the Street Sharks. How horrible it was.

Jawsome! a Street Sharks episode! I'm so excited I could swim though pavement. I don't think there is any other show more hilariously 90's then that one.

ForgottenPr0digy:

Don't forget Extreme Dinosaurs.

It's weird realising that I was part of a whole decade that kids today never truly experienced (and I'm only 22)

I actually have vague recollections of Street Sharks.

Never understood the appeal of troll dolls, and I don't think I ever will. Its like having a creepy ventriloquist dummy just sitting around.

Always watching
Always waiting
Stalking
Hunting

Street Sharks were awesome though. I remember watching the show as a kid/collecting some of the toys. It was actually a TMNT knockoff worth watching imo.

Cable! Fuck yeah! That's about all I remember from the 90's. These videos are really making me wish I had a TV with more than 3 channels when I was growing up.
Edit: I had no idea Street Sharks was actually a real thing. I thought it was just a Robot Chicken skit.

VanQ:

ForgottenPr0digy:

Don't lump SWAT Kats in with the rest of those shows. SK was actually good. I still love that theme song.

And I'm sorry, Bob. If you're still trying to convince me the 90s didn't suck, you're not helping your case. I always hated Trolls. My little sister had one of the creepy little bastards and it was always in a different spot in the house but I never saw anyone move it. It was stalking me, I swear the most liberating day of my life was when I strapped that thing to an illegal firework at a friends place and sent it straight back from whence it came. That being to hell.

how dare you question my love for the swat kats. I wasn't comparing the almight swat kats to street sharks. Hell only the Biker Mice from Mars was the closet to dethroning TMNT back in the 90s.

Road Rover is just a guilty pleasure of mine and street sharks were okay but I didn't care too much about them.

The only good thing about the 90s were the rpgs...

Chrono212:

It was so weird...

This from someone with a brony avatar? Irony sense... tingling!

Elijah Newton:

Chrono212:

It was so weird...

This from someone with a brony avatar? Irony sense... tingling!

They're ponies in a pony world! Those guys are shark guys in a...not-shark-guy world.
I swear they were turned into shark guys by some weird maguffin, too...

I didn't expect all of this stuff just for Trolls. I have to say though, the Dreamworks film could be interesting, they've got great actors for the leads (Jason Schwartzman and Chloe Moretz) and apparently it's being inspired by Terry Prachet.

I have to say though Bob, I want to see you do some British stuff for this in the future. You know, episodes on Danger Mouse, Count Duckula, Aardman and even recent stuff like Horrible Histories (for those who have never heard of Horrible Histories, take a look at how they tackled the R.A.F in World War 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N07darJyUrY), Darwin's theory of natural selection (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt2gHpqfZNA) and the Borgias (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RaITtjcTy0))

drisky:

ForgottenPr0digy:

Don't forget Extreme Dinosaurs.

Or stuff like Project GKR after the booming popularity of The Mask.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here