The Big Picture: Trolling The 90s

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

I never really got to know anything about Trolls despite growing up in the 90s. >.<

But I do remember half the 90s cartoons being super cheesy cash-ins while the other half were super good...

...like this one for instance:

0:39 Dat hair flip.

Nice detail with the money picture at 01:30 - actual Danish money.

Interesting choice of topic, I remember the sudden explosion in troll merchandise, but never realized just how far it went (multiple cartoons)

But I was disappointed to see that you missed one major troll cash in, TMNT trolls!
http://www.tmnttoys.com/93figures/trolls/trolls.jpg
They were toys only, never showing up in any of the various TMNT media as far as I'm aware. But they were enough of a success that a year later they produced giant (12") versions.

Sylocat:

MovieBob:
My personal favorite of these attempts was Hasbro's [i]Battle Trolls[i], which reworked whatever boy-toy theme they could think of into Troll form. See: Count Trollula, Sergeant Troll, Trollclops, Punk Troll, Slapshot Troll, the Trollminator, &c.

And now, MLP fan artists are doing that with ponies...

The difference between trolls and ponies is that Ponies are awesome.

I LOVED the Street Sharks. I used to have gloves that were in the shape of their heads, and you could chomp them and such. It was all really, really stupid.

Turtle Power ain't got sheeet on the Jawesome power of the Street Sharks!!!

Wow, I have (had?) that "Elvis" Stone Protector - I thought he was just a Ninja Turtle character I had never heard of lol.

Orekoya:

drisky:

ForgottenPr0digy:
I want a episode all about the street sharks(and other shows like SWAT Kats,Biker Mice from Mars and Road Rovers)

Don't forget Extreme Dinosaurs.

Or stuff like Project GKR after the booming popularity of The Mask.

I was thinking along the lines of ninja turtles rip offs like bike mice and street sharks were. Although the 90's did have a lot of shows with bumbling heros like those as well, its a 90's trope in its own right.

Its sad to think that I actually owned a couple of those toys.

And I'm looking forward to that Street Sharks episode. It will be jawesome.

I had all the battle trolls, and wow I Didn't know they weren't as popular. Someone gave me one of those crappy stone protectors trolls the Angus one. I never played with it. The battle trolls were awesome though I wish I still had them.

Are you going to do anything about the Biker Mice from Mars? I used to love that show... and now I can't remember anything about it.

ForgottenPr0digy:
I want a episode all about the street sharks(and other shows like SWAT Kats,Biker Mice from Mars and Road Rovers)

I would like to see that as well, I had a bunch of Street Shark toys when I was little, and loved them, even though the show never aired here as far as I know. I actually think I still have them in a box somewhere for when I have kids. Same with the Biker Mice, but that cartoon did air here, and was awesome, just like Swat Kats.

OT: The real troll dolls were somewhat of a fad here as well when I was little, but there weren't really any knockoffs. I remember in elementary school, sooo many people had those things on their pencils and stuff. Also, their name here is awesome, Lykketroll (lit. Happiness Trolls).

Also, I think someone, somewhere missed a golden opportunity for a scene in a show, say, Full House, where the dad steps on a troll doll and goes "Who left these Dam Things here??"

Did you say Princess Opal of Mithrandir?
Is she related to Gandalf?

Also, I liked that Trollz cartoon.

So much nostalgia! and seeing that street sharks bit, wow that took me back... to a place I kinda hoped I'd never see again! Though I thought it was "jawsome" as a kid.

This also reminded me of a thing that came back when I was young for a bit, at least where I lived, Boglins, man the things you'll buy (or get your parents to buy you I suppose) as a kid

Well that was one hell of a nostalgia trip for me.

drisky:
Jawsome! a Street Sharks episode! I'm so excited I could swim though pavement. I don't think there is any other show more hilariously 90's then that one.

ForgottenPr0digy:

Don't forget Extreme Dinosaurs.

Dinosaurs from space? Yes I remember.

Actually I think they did a crossover with the Street Sharks as well.

Oh my God, STREET SHARKS! The nostalgia...It hurts....

I really don't remember a lot about it, other than the fact that it was AWESOME.

Oh bloody hell, the voices for those trolls in the animated... thing are perhaps the most 90's thing I have ever heard...

Heh, I used to watch that Stone Protector show well seen a few episodes of it!

Wait, what's so special or the backstories to Street Shark? I mean I know there were awesome and all.

Oh jesus, I forgot about Stone Protectors. Even as a kid I hated those damn commercials.

and I thought modern cartoons where bad.
Also can somebody please explain to me the appeal of the troll dolls seriously how did that become a craze twice?
altough i do find Dans rags to riches story pretty heartwarming.

VanQ:

ForgottenPr0digy:

Don't lump SWAT Kats in with the rest of those shows. SK was actually good. I still love that theme song.

There needs to be an episode on the SWAT Kats. Just watching that opening again made me want to go back and watch that show.

Aircross:
I never really got to know anything about Trolls despite growing up in the 90s. >.<

But I do remember half the 90s cartoons being super cheesy cash-ins while the other half were super good...

God, I remember that series. I loved both the older and newer Johnny Quest series, especially since it felt like there was continuity between the two...

Ouch... my nostalgia...

Anyway, I remember enjoying Street Sharks, not quite as much as Ninja Turtles or Biker Mice from Mars but still enjoyable. Stone Protectors... that was a thing that happened, nuff said.

EDIT: I love this theme in a, "I remember that!" sort of way.

EDIT EDIT: I'm hoping for an Eek the Cat reference this month.

My grandmother used to buy me those Battle Trolls, she didn't know what exactly they were, but she believed I'd like them, so whenever I visited she'd gift me one. I didn't know what it was all about either, I mean, I knew they were ugly and I didn't like them but I wouldn't tell her, so as not to hurt her feelings or get her worried about buying something else, so she kept buying them lol I remember having the "terminator" and the "punk", but there were more.

I actually remember the Street sharks. My mom rented me a VHS with them way back when.

Darkwing duck too !!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=375ENQbru8s

Also being danish, his catchfraise (DW) in danish is SO MUCH BETTER than his American !!
(Mostly because it's a pun about feathers, and he is a duck.. "Lad os så vove fjerne"9

So on the behalf on danish people, and our creation of the Dam-troll.. DO DARKWING DUCK :D

Aircross:

I was addicted to that one! I remember once my cousin decided to spend all this shitload of COINS she had been keeping God knows why, and she gave them to me, so I went with her to a toy store and bought one of the JQ action figures (which were awesome), I remember the cashier being sorta pissed at having to count somewhere around 30 bucks IN COIN lol
But anyway, I'd get insane with those computer graphic sequences, especially when they used the bike!

Anyone remembers the Centurions??? Dude I loved those cartoons, oh Cartoon Network where art thou...

If you are going to continue that trend on cartoons (hope not) talk about that transformers 3d or something that came in the 1990's. Still hope that the next one be about the movie industry. Even though I'll have to endure Canada's weapon of mass annoyance, I mean Celine Dion and Titanic.

I always found the Trolls extremely creepy and ugly. I do not understand how they got so big.

I remember the street sharks....

hentropy:
I LOVED the Street Sharks. I used to have gloves that were in the shape of their heads, and you could chomp them and such. It was all really, really stupid.

Oh yeah. I remember when I was in kindergarden, one of the other kids had those shark toys. He was the BOMB. Everybody knew that it was going to be a good day when that kid brought his backpack.

DVS BSTrD:
2015? We'll just have to cross that bridge when we come to it :P

You're just trying to get our goat, aren't you?

ForgottenPr0digy:

I second that, though I only remember watching Bikers Mice from Mars when I was a kid.

The problem with 90s episodes....is that they are my nostalgia and it makes me feel old.

I remember having battle trolls, those were great.

And Street Sharks man, Street Sharks. I entirely forgot that was what it was called. I liked the orca one better than the sharks tho.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here