Zero Punctuation: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.

Watch Video

I've been waiting for this review for a while now.

So cheers for another week of Zero Punctuation.

I will say there were some really hilarious lines in the game. Like in the beginning when Raiden gets one of his arms chopped off and his response is: "Not again." As if he had just gotten another zit or something.

In the end though, the game is very fun but short. Probably good though since my body can only take so much adrenaline and testosterone plowing through it at one time.

I agree with the review. Game was short, and the ending's tone was really off compared to the rest of the game.

Well at least he's not Raiden Sanke's coat tails anymore, but he seems to have graduated from the Naruto school of ninja theory

I like how despite all the technological advances that exist in the Metal Gear universe, a hands free head set isn't available and Raiden has to put his damn hand up to his face when he wants to talk.

my friend has been playing this, and now I can't wait to see him reach the end lol...

i like the game but i haven't finished it so i can't comment on that. i wonder if this video is any good since i've skipped a few

Only played the demo so far, seemed pretty awesome, but I always had my doubts about this one... I was thinking the same thing actually, revengeance, nope the spell-checker is not it's friend either.

But really, you'd have to have never played an MGS game, not to be expecting the borderline schizophrenic levels of 'comedy'. Yeah, the barrel thing is funny though, and I'll defend MGS4 to the grave... Also thanks for ruining my image of Solid Snake forever =p I honestly never thought of it that way before today...

Seems so obvious now, blindingly obvious in fact, if you could maybe find a game I don't actually care about to review next time or just leave it out... Oh right look who I'm asking. ^^

Yes, when you get to the end of the game it just goes completely bonkers batshit. I mean a real WTF.

its a play on words nothing more so i don't really think much about it

Quick, someone tell him Revengeance is actually in the dictionary. That will show him...
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/revengeance
http://www.webster-dictionary.net/definition/Revengeance

Boy is the egg on his face now, huh, huh, nudge nudge.

The review just makes me want to play the game even more. Then again, I have always liked the MGS series, despite the fact that the story can get a bit heavy handed at times.

I actually completed it today.

One of the bet final boss fights ever :D

I think the trick is to go into the game expecting it not to take itself too seriously, like a cheesy 80's action movie.

I loved it.

Calibanbutcher:
Quick, someone tell him Revengeance is actually in the dictionary. That will show him...

oh neat i thought it was just them having fun with revenge and vengeance

Sooooo... Fire Emblem: Awakening now next week...? No...? Maybe...? Well I guess he would totally take the piss out of it anyway...

Calibanbutcher:

Apparantly it exists in American, but not in british English. I can't find it in any version of the Oxford Dictionary ;).

Raiden also rhymes with Hayden Christensen, who played the role of a penis in the Star Wars prequels.

excalipoor:
Raiden also rhymes with Hayden Christensen, who played the role of a penis in the Star Wars prequels.

i though it was Anakin but if you want to pronounce it that way

excalipoor:

No, they don't rhyme actually.

I feel like you've made the mistake of approaching Revengeance as a MGS game instead of as a Platinum game.

I have no idea how much Kojima was involved in the writing (or even if at all) but I found the ridiculous tone quite fitting the over the top gameplay. Revengeance never set out to be a serious game and follows this notion through until the very end.
The only thing I hated about it was the stupid latino kid. Seriously, it's like they tried to make him as annoying as humanly possible.

The one thing I do agree with is that parrying wasn't explained as well as it could have been. I only found out how it works during the fight with Blade Wolf after dying countless times. But once you figure it out the parrying is actually surprisingly easy and intuitive.

Well I just went and looked up the last boss in this game on Youtube since I likely won't ever play it and yeah it's pretty out there. The first few minutes included, and I'm not making this up, rants about college football, some good ol' fashioned kicks to the crotch, a mother fucking actual cheering section, and an excerpt from Martin Luther King's "I have a dream" speech. I figure by the end of it they will incorporate giant Micky Mouse heads like the mascots at Disneyland wear, Ghandi and a diatribe about the dangers of processed foods.

My only guess is that ol' Hideo Kajima must of taken up smoking bath salts as he was writing that last fight because it's just so damn random and fucking out there.

Good, another game that never tickled my fancy was hack'n'slashed into oblivion by the unsung hero of the internets (yes, Yahtzee) By the way, are there actually any good games coming out this year or have people choked to death from anxiety and disappointment that SimCity wasn't the game it should have been and now everyone is just saying: 'fuck it, this year is ruined, better luck in 2014'? Well, let's hope so.

Vivi22:

excalipoor:

No, they don't rhyme actually.

Fine. Raiden sounds a lot like Hayden. Better?

Daystar Clarion:

I think the trick is to go into the game expecting it not to take itself too seriously, like a cheesy 80's action movie.

I loved it.

Kinda like a "chop socky" martial arts movie a la The Man With the Iron Fists, huh?

I'm surprised that Yahtzee didn't give a 10 second disclaimer as to why he didn't play SimCity. With the way the DRM caused a much publicized meltdown (just one more reason I'm content sticking to my mighty Hidden Object games) I figured he would be hard pressed to resist the temptation to take the piss on EA one more time.

DVS BSTrD:
Well at least he's not Raiden Sanke's coat tails anymore, but he seems to have graduated from the Naruto school of ninja theory

Naruto school of ninja theory? I don't even think I want to know the joke there -_-

OT: I went into this game not taking it seriously from the start, because... well, because Kojima. Perhaps thats why the boss music didn't bother me as much and it is close to some of the music I like anyway.

Daystar Clarion:

I loved it.

Agreed, the last boss was really awesome for me. When I beat him (after 17 tries or so) I was jumping up and down in my bed from the adrenaline. Awesome music helps too.

Really, I disagree with Yahtzee there, the music in this game is the best boss music I have ever experienced, the way it dynamically changed based on when you are cutting and on phases is just wicked!

I feel ashamed for not making the connection between Solid Snake's name and the whole dick thing. And to think, it's been there all those years.

Sweet review though, now I'm really curious about the ending.

I guess Yathzee didn't know Kojima himself wasn't involved in MGR's development. I thought he would apreciate the campy side of the story, especially th racist mariachi costu- I mean authentic civilian disguise.

Frank_Sinatra_:
I will say there were some really hilarious lines in the game. Like in the beginning when Raiden gets one of his arms chopped off and his response is: "Not again." As if he had just gotten another zit or something.

Mark Hamill did it better.

excalipoor:

He was certainly a stiff, but I think that's unfair to penises everywhere.

He has a point on the parry command being remarkably badly explained, when i was playing though the demo i had no idea what i was supposed to do since the times it actually worked seemed to have no relation to what i was doing or what the enemy was doing.

bafrali:
I guess Yathzee didn't know Kojima himself wasn't involved in MGR's development. I thought he would apreciate the campy side of the story, especially th racist mariachi costu- I mean authentic civilian disguise.

Raiden is the master of subterfuge

Also, this review seemed like one of those times Yahtzee just didn't seem to get the game he was playing. The moment you see that the makers of the game made MadWorld, Viewtiful Joe, Godhand and Bayonetta, all expectations of a serious tone should be tossed out the window.

PS: the soundtrack of this game is fucking phenomenal and just fits the game so well

Personally, I think the reason I enjoy MGS so much is that they've been in on the joke since at least MGS3, and possibly before that. It's the Max Payne principle: make fun of yourself enough and you can get away with being ludicrous.

I will admit that while Platinum Games are good at gameplay they are freaking RETARDS when it comes to writing stories. The only one that could be taken even somewhat seriously was Madworld and that's mostly because Yasumi Matsuno is such a good writer that it makes me realize just how low the standards for writing in games are.

Oh god... that Biker Mice from Mars comparison was spot on! I didn't see that one coming at all!

I really enjoyed MGR:Revengeance, despite the stupid name and ridiculous premise. For some reason it never felt out of place within the MGS canon for me. I guess it helped that it was set after the last MGS game, if it had been somewhere within games it would feel really odd.

I'll admit that those sneaking sections were bullshit. Why include them when the game wasn't even designed around stealth?

As far as new franchise entries go, I thought Tomb Raider was more out of place tonally than Revengeance.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here