No Right Answer: Greatest Cybernetic Threat to Humanity Ever

Pages PREV 1 2

UNHchabo:
You guys got the health bar backwards; when a person made an argument, their health bar went down, and Dan won by having less health at the end.

I thought that looked weird too. I thought the score counter worked better. Or next time, you guys use an XP bar.

GamemasterAnthony:
What? No Cybermen? No Skynet/Terminators? I am disappoint...

PLEASE tell me some of you are disappoint as well.

Preach it, brother! The terminators are a huger threat than the Cylons, because they can strike at you from the future, and the living tissue on their infiltrator models counts them as cyborgs, even though their creator Skynet is not. The Cylons still have that infiltration aspect to them, but it turned out they had no real plan and they fell into infighting thanks in part to acting, well, human.
What's funny is I thought the name of the Cylons' One True God was Skynet, and I would also use HAL, Brainiac, and Megatron.

captcha: Men's Speedstick
What the hell? The captcha programs ARE the ads now?

Cylons? Pffffff!
Terminators, man!!!

Terminators are worse, because you can live for a long time in poverty and constant fear.
The others are super efficient at wiping you out, they don't take years hunting you down.
Constant fear for a long time is a billion times worse than being super afraid a little while.
Unfortunately I have a lot of experience...

And your graphics seem to be very counterintuitive.
They should turn more red when your enemy scores a hit on you, not when you score a hit.

Ukomba:
I'll go with the Cyber Cthulhu, Reapers. (There is an anime Mass Effect so it counts ;) )

I would have said Borg years ago, but then Voyager happened.... I am surprised the Daleks or Cybermen didn't make the battle.

The Daleks aren't cyborgs. Those are just basically powered armor peppermills. Also, Cybermen would win out over Cylons and Borg because they have access to time travel and dimensional rifting.

Dont think cybernetic means what they think it means.

Even if they mean it as cyborg it doesnt fit , the borg are, and so are cylon raiders and hybrids but the centurions and cylons are'nt

but out of the 2 the borg have to win on sheer scale there must be millions of times more of them and they wont stop or change their mind or do some seriously odd religious crap in the later series when the script writers loose the plot a bit.
worst death? well assimilation has to suck but i think being a piece of meat in a cylon experiment might just top it for me.

if the question was really biggest AI threat. then ill go for skynet because its the only one i can think of that hasnt actually lost yet , ok it does in every film but thats hollywood. and terminators were terrifying when i was a kid.
ALthough the matrix machines are probably the actual winners because well they did win and could of/should of wiped us out,
im sure the Matrix Bovine edition would of been more feasible and less problematic but i guess it wouldnt of made for the good film stock.

I like the changes, I mean I can't really pin-point a lot but the show was awesome to begin with so no complaints there.

ravenshrike:
Also, Cybermen would win out over Cylons and Borg because they have access to time travel and dimensional rifting.

The Borg do too, they went back in time on First Contact and the opened a portal to fluidic space in another dimension on Voyager.

ravenshrike:

Ukomba:
I'll go with the Cyber Cthulhu, Reapers. (There is an anime Mass Effect so it counts ;) )

I would have said Borg years ago, but then Voyager happened.... I am surprised the Daleks or Cybermen didn't make the battle.

The Daleks aren't cyborgs. Those are just basically powered armor peppermills. Also, Cybermen would win out over Cylons and Borg because they have access to time travel and dimensional rifting.

I guess that depends on how you define cyborg. If you count that guy wearing the 'EyeTap' as a cyborg then the Daleks would also qualify. If it requires a more thorough integration of electronics, than ya.

I just started watching Battle Star a few weeks ago. Missed it first time round and heard how good it was.

I'm up to season 3 and the Cylons are just fucking stupid. They are literally the most retarded, biopolar set of machines in the history of history.

"Oh I'm Human, oh wait no I'm not. SHOOT SOMEONE I LOVE LIKE A FATHER for no apparent reason, oh no, I shot someone I loved like a father for no apparent reason. I wish I was human, I hate being a Cylon. Now I hate humans, I love being a Cylon."

And that's just one individual.

Let's not even get into the absolute genius who decided to make 5 Cylon models who not only don't know they're Cylons, but no other Cylon knows what they look like.

I mean, I'm enjoying the series.... I think. But most of it's twisty turny bits read like it was written by like a hundred different people, and none of them seem to be on the same page. I certainly don't see how it became known as one of the iconic Sci-Fi series for character development etc.

Even the humans all seem to be emotionally charged, bioplar amnesiacs. Massive character defining events happen that stretch relationships beyond breaking point and 3 episodes later no one seems to remember them.

And, if the twist that I think is coming at the end is actually coming at the end. I'm going to be very disappoint.

Just on that last comment, I wonder how many people who have begun to lap up the whole 'zombie' thing actually understand what facet of societal concern the monster is portraying. Because, to be honest, half the people I know who watch The Walking Dead have no idea. I'd like to believe you, man, but some people just lap up stuff in its simplicity, and don't understand the commentary being made. (The whole space marine thing in the Aliens movies had a similar problem).

I think with 7/9 the borg became humanized, and that takes away from the threatening atmosphere. But yeah, someone should have pulled reapers. Space cthulu is pretty high on the threatening factor.

Abandon4093:
I just...

It only gets worse from there.

I'm in the same boat. My boss called off work (aka made me close the building) just so he could watch the last episode. He's hounded me for years to watch it so I did. I enjoyed it up until the point where it started to make no sense. The 5 mystery Cylons. The whole Sharon thing. The fact that ******spoiler********** Gaius "Fraking" Baltar somehow lives through the series. Starbuck is a woman for some reason. Apollo...fraking hate that guy past season 2. And the worst is how I said the word "fraking" for like 2 months after watching that show...

My god, these episodes are so much more *bearable* without that other guy with the beard. I didn't even have the urge to smash my speakers even once.

Phalanx scarier than both honestly... especially since Annihilation: Conquest where they do BOTH what the Borg do AND the Cylon...

That point about the Federation being a hard fight for the Borg is Completely incorrect. If you watched Next gen and Voyager, you would know that the Federation have an AWFUL track record against the borg. Wolf 359 - They sent a ton of ships at one cube, and the CUBE survived!

Blood Brain Barrier:
My god, these episodes are so much more *bearable* without that other guy with the beard. I didn't even have the urge to smash my speakers even once.

I'm happy you enjoyed the episode. I'm less happy that you enjoyed the episode specifically because I wasn't in it. :(

"Join us on Facebook"

Perfect

Chris Pranger:

Blood Brain Barrier:

I'm happy you enjoyed the episode. I'm less happy that you enjoyed the episode specifically because I wasn't in it. :(

Don't worry it's fully fixable, just try not to shout hysterically at the top of your voice all the time. It's both annoying and patronising that you think we can't be interested in what you're saying without an excitedly animated display. Because I do enjoy what you guys say.

I always enjoy these episodes, and perhaps No Right Answer is starting to become my favorite show on here.

I mean everyone's always having fun, new facts are pointed out, they speak about topics I can completely relate to, and they're just civil along the lines of again.. having fun. You guys rock, always remember you have a fan who's enjoying the heck out of your show :}

The Borg are way scarier, they don't fight, they just consume and spread like a virus, adapting and becoming stronger and stronger with each wave. Plus they still look recognizably human underneath all their cybernetics so that you never forget that they were once a person like you or me, who had his whole identity/personality overwritten. That's scary.

Also, on a purely technical level they're by far the most powerful, barring possibly the reapers.

As far as cybernetic threats go, I'd have to say Replicators would win out.

Sure, Borg are scary, they'll take your life and the lives of everyone you care about and make you one of them (Then again... Seven of Nine makes them less scary...)

Then there's Cylons whom blend in so perfectly, even they don't realise that they're machines.

While Replicators don't care about humans at all, they're only interested in technology to replicate into even stronger armies. This coupled with the fact they take on the properties of the technology they feed upon (Meaning if they visit an area with better technology than earth, we're screwed) they also learn very quickly and can adapt to various situations and completely negate any weaknesses they have (Similar Hive-mind to Borg, except they can update software to update knowledge and defences for every Replicator)

They're also a pain to get rid of due to the ability for very small numbers of replicator pieces to replicate into an army very quickly.

Wow... that was actually well thought out and informative... Go new guy!

While I haven't watched a lot of Star Trek or any BSG, I would still have to say that Skynet and the Terminators are the greatest threat to humanity. The Borg were dangerous, but they could be defeated. But in the Terminator universe, we know that Skynet wins. They succeed in wiping out most of humanity save for a small resistance force. They are already more successful then either the Borg or Cylons. And through at least the first three movies, all the efforts to avoid humankind's destruction prove futile. Judgement Day does happen. Ultimately, that seems like the most depressing part of the Terminator franchise, the humans are fighting a battle to which they know the results, the robots win.

And as for the social commentary argument, in the Terminator humankind is its own worst enemy and the architect of its own demise. And every time I see someone who can't read a map or navigate around a city without GPS, I start to think that the process has already begun.

Cylon vs Borg?

Borg are simple but effective. They assimilate and integrate the conquered into the Hive mind. They are ruthless but they lack motivation. Their only reason for existing is... because they exist. They are not more complicated than a bacteria who adapts, survives, replicates. They are the virus of the Universe. But they are weak... one one hand their programming is limited, they cannot create anything new, on the other their organic bodies are more of a nuisance. Voyager took great pains to turn them into something more interesting but their end is fitting. They are something less than "human".

Cylons? They are the best part of Battlestar Gallactica. One one hand you have the humanoid clones. I found these to be boring, confusing and limited as a concept. They are the greatest weakness of the Cylon, something made up for TV purposes only. I don't want to go into details, lest I spoil the fun. The fleshy robots? Now we're talking. Their ability to reincarnate (The Prestige style, with all the bad implications) makes them unique and highly fascinating. The episode SCAR from the second season is the only time we see this in action to it's full extent. It's my favorite episode of the show as it says so much about them. They still act as individuals and overcome their limitations. They have a motivation, other than killing humans. They are a religious bunch, trying to figure out what they are meant to do. In other words, they are more than "robots". They have free will and a sense of freedom.

So while Borgs are by nature a bad concept and are doomed to eventually fail, the Cylons have the tools to become something amazing. But Cylons are not something to be feared, as they also lack most of our human weaknesses. Cylons are creators, not destroyers. It's nice to imagine what they would've done on their own (without the war with humans), but I guess they would've turned into a benign race of explorers.

So what would be the greatest threat for us? By far, The Matrix. Watch Animatrix (The Second Renaissance) and you will probably come to agree with me. Yes, it's the old "Terminator" idea, but the story twist with the human batteries locked in a virtual existence is more then enough to make you believe it could actually already be true :D

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 54106)