Escape to the Movies: The Incredible Burt Wonderstone

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Incredible Burt Wonderstone

Steve Carell and Jim Carrey take magic to another level.

Watch Video

I was really hoping for a review of Spring Breakers... there is a huge divide on that one... but, I'll live with this one and hope for Breakers next week.

This movie looks terrible. Plus, Jim Carey seems to have lost whatever he once had. Pass.

Also, first. Yes, I just went there

I don't know Bob, I have a bad feeling about Pacific Rim. Then again it does have Glados so their hearts are in the right place.

Instead of Siegfried and Roy we get Siegfried and Oy... vey.

This is the first I have heard of Spring Breakers

Ickabod:
I don't know Bob, I have a bad feeling about Pacific Rim. Then again it does have Glados so their hearts are in the right place.

The buzz around it is overwhelmingly positive. The film test screened so well it's already been green-lit for a sequel.

Olivia Wilde = Natural born movie star?
What?

If that was supposed to be sarcasm it was way to subtle.

I certainly agree with the bit in the credits. Pacific Rim looks so cool, I can't wait to see that.

Sounds like you'd be better off watching Magicians.

I just have to mention the quick Kids in the Hall reference there, that was spectacular.

Here's that sketch, I haven't seen it in years but I recognized that one shot from it instantly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z17rrnRRHDM

Cool of the Nerdist to be putting these out, BTW.

Torus2112:
I just have to mention the quick Kids in the Hall reference there, that was spectacular.

Here's that sketch, I haven't seen it in years but I recognized that one shot from it instantly:

OFF TOPIC - But that has to be one of the least funny things I've watched.
Maybe it's an American thing.

daibakuha:

Ickabod:

The buzz around it is overwhelmingly positive. The film test screened so well it's already been green-lit for a sequel.

I'm just saying movies about giant anythings hardly ever go well. But I'll be there to see it, comes out on my birthday actually.

Blunderboy:

I was about to recommend that film myself. Pretty much everything written by Armstrong and Miller is solid black comedy gold.

"Having served her purpose as a reward--"

I see what you did there. Brilliant, sir, brilliant.

Lonely Swordsman:

Blunderboy:

I was about to recommend that film myself. Pretty much everything written by Armstrong and Miller is solid black comedy gold.

You either mistook their identity. Or you're an evil troll :)

It's nice that MB endorses other forms of entertainment.
Derren Brown is a good magician to watch. His first half of his shows are a little dull if you've seen all his TV stuff, but his second half is fascinating.

Couldn't agree with more about pacific rim bob, the only question now is if it's a success who will make the live-action evengellion adaption first? Will japan beat hollywood to the punch or will pacific rim push hollywood to make it first.

I'm going to just say that Pacific Rim has a 50/50 chance of being ether flat out amazing or kind of .. like this movie.

Don't get me wrong, it looks incredible and I absolutely am impressed by the trailer but the thing is, anything can happen. The movie might drag on during moments, the ending might feel rushed or poorly written, heck the movie can focus more on the humans then the actual robot/monster fighting. A lot can go wrong, but everything so far shows the movie is going to be worthy of buying on blue ray, or even seeing a few times over in the movie theater.

Also yeah.. this movie looks bad. Nothing made me laugh at all sadly.

I personally can't wait to see spring breakers.
Defranco looks hilarious.

So this movie is not as funny as the ads and late night talk show appearances by the actors made it out to be? Now that's an illusion.
But I love that still you got of Ned Flanders seen through the eyes of Homer on psychoactive chili peppers. Love that episode!

Desert Punk:
This is the first I have heard of Spring Breakers

First time for me too. Gotta look that up now.

captcha: It is different
That's what audiences will think of the Incredible Burt Wonderstone when they see it after the ads told them to.

Wow, you must have a bad film on your hands when you talk slower than usual to pad out what little there is to say about this film in five minutes. It's a shame, really, I kind of like the idea of Steve Carell, don't-tip-waitresses Buscemi, and Jim Carrey in one film...

Spring Breakers: I'd say it's neither a masterpiece nor a disaster. The cinematography is generally pretty decent and the filmmakers definitely have a strong sense of what a 'crazy party' really looks like, but the film doesn't seem to understand who it's trying to market the film to or what it's trying to say (though it's definitely trying to say something or other).

Presumably it's telling us in the classical style of a morality play that drugs, pre-marital sex, crime and being a poor student are bad things, but as a movie that wavers unevenly between realism and a cartoonish caricature of college life it shows shockingly few actual consequences to anything the bevy of lovely but...ahem, 'academically challenged' ladies do (of whom it is abundantly clear that three out of four of the female leads have no-nudity clauses in their contracts). In a sea of decontextualized nudity and partying it seems to want to throw up the horns and give us a "Grrrrl power!" rallying cry that simply doesn't fit the tone of the movie. A schizophrenic film, and unfortunately not always intentionally so.

It's not a bad movie by any means, but it seems completely oblivious to the fact that it's not a good movie either.

Minor comedy tip: having James Franco be a white gangster with dreads who thinks he's a badass and dresses like Weird Al is funny. Actually naming him Al ruins the joke.

Blunderboy:

Torus2112:

Agreed. That was quite painful to watch; such hammy overacting, terrible even by comedy standards. The audience were just embarrassing themselves by laughing at that.

Blunderboy:

Torus2112:

They're Canadian. Yes, Canadians are Americans, too...

Want to see funny things involving magicians?

Look up just about anything Penn and Teller have done. They manage to make a Libertarian political show hilarious.

Blunderboy:

I hate Peep Show, but like the Mitchell and Webb Look. Would I like Magicians?

Mikeyfell:
Olivia Wilde = Natural born movie star?
What?

If that was supposed to be sarcasm it was way to subtle.

Maybe he said it because he'd probably catch some flak if he just said "She's hot".

i honestly expected the review to be mosty about how awful carry is in it. im sorry but by this point, i dont have much confidence in him

Am I the only one who saw the poster of this and thougt:

OOOH! A smokin' aces rip-off!

Was kinda wrong, apparantly.

I think Bob is setting himself for a massive disappointment with Pacific Rim, as is anyone else who is hoping for it to be even semi decent

scw55:

Lonely Swordsman:

Blunderboy:

You either mistook their identity. Or you're an evil troll :)

I'm not trolling. Mitchell and Webb star in it but it's written by Armstrong and Miller. They're also the head writers on Peep Show. They all used to be in the same comedy troupe so they're used to writing characters and stories specifically with Mitchell and Webb in mind, so they collaborate alot.

At least it has Olivia Wilde in it. So that's... kind of a good thing, right? Anyway, the whole poster art already gave me a sneaky suspicion that this film is going to suck holy hell bat shit balls. Who is the idiot who came up with this idea? Steve Carell is funny and talented and so is Jim Carrey and Steve Buscemi. Throw a legend like Alan Arkin in it and it still manages to suck? That's either bad casting of roles or someone had a brain meltdown when writing the script.

Blunderboy:

Torus2112:

Nah, the Kids in the Hall just aren't that funny. I'm Canadian and I don't even find them funny (they're Canadian)

jmarquiso:

Blunderboy:

Torus2112:

They're Canadian. Yes, Canadians are Americans, too...

OT: Shame this movie wasn't that good, I was hoping it'd be at least funny enough to kill some time on.

Saw it - Had some funny moments, but felt overly long and confused.

That said, I'm wondering if anyone else feels this way, but Olivia Wilde, especially after seeing this, is starting to piss me off. In the movie itself she does do a good job, but her character arc, and I don't mean the sex thing though that still undercuts her, about wanting to be a magician actually comes out of left field - she starts as some kind of producer or stage hand before being dragged on stage where she says she has a fear of crowds, then much later says she's ALWAYS wanted to do magic. I found it really confusing and thought it could've been handled a lot better. Thing is, she can't seem to get more substantial parts that give her a chance to be a great actress and just slums it as the "pretty face." I really don't care if "that's what ya gotta do in Hollywood," it still saddens me that it's the only way she can build any kind of reputation, and even then it feels like the wrong one because it leaves such an ugly shallow impression about her and damages her credibility.

You could tell how boring it was from Bob's voice droning on and on.

Seems to me that if it isn't a sci-fi movie, a superhero movie or an animated kids movie than Movie Bob doesn't like it. But to each their own.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 54106)