Escapist Podcast: 084: Reboots, Weird Foods and Gaming While Angry

Pages PREV 1 2

ritchards:
You answered my question - yay!

And now predicting (or subtly suggesting, your choice) that Susan will be getting a lot of oatmeal raisin cookies at the next Escapist Con. (And then she might eat something!)

YES! at the beginning of the con when you get your ticket you also get one oatmeal raisin cookie, and if you see Susan you must give it to her. I have this picture in my head of Susan being weighed down by a giant pile of cookies.

Did Tito spill something on his shirt? Cause he was wearing a different one in the later parts of the podcast. With the discussion on it's color early on I noticed it eventually and I was like "wait...that's clearly very purple...there's no way they coudln't tell what color it is" and I went back and he indeed was wearing a different one.

Do you guys like, have a wardrobe in the office or something?

Oh and I am with Paul, I'm an overtaster so most sweets, including pie, taste overpoweringly sweet to me, causing me to need to drink a whole glass of water after just a couple of bites. This evens out cause I can taste other foods better so I enjoy it a lot.

Due to that, I shall cheat and say my favorite pie is Shepard's Pie!

I agree that disclosure is best on who backed kickstarter projects. However until you start coughing up more than 100 dollars it shouldn't effect your judgement.

Strangest thing I've eaten?
I've probably eaten things that people from other countries think is strange.
Raw herring with chopped onions. (Just raw, I know some really strange people also think the herring is alive, but it's quite dead since it has been beheaded and gutted)
Salt black licorice (I mean double salt here, not the normal salt ones).

These are two things that I know people from other countries think are weird, but not being from another country beside my own, I have no idea what else.
But then again, you might think hutspot, endive stamppot or other Dutch national dishes are really strange.

On a second note, rhubarb isn't supposed to be sour.
Just boil it with a piece of chalk and you'll get the best flavor out of it.

You know, I've been a regular follower of your podcast and generally enjoyed it a lot, but I do have a small bone to pick.

You guys have thrown around the phrase, 'it's the ginger haired step child of the [subject]' often enough for me to notice. Growing up with red hair and foster parents who did their best, but getting a lot of bullshit in elementary and highschool 80s-90s for that, it's got some bad memories to it.

I learn to adopt a thick skin on the internet about such matters. I know it's a saying and most places I wouldn't bother even bringing it up, but you seem like nice respectful people who might even conceivably modify their use of language slightly, if asked politely. I guess that's why it kinda stings; your podcasts really FEEL like sitting down and hanging with buddies, so my normal cynical internet defenses aren't up regarding the unavoidable aspects of my genetics and upbringing used as a generic put down.

On most days, it's just one of those things you shrug off. On those rare days, it feels a bit more like:

Anyway, good casts. :)

I dunno if Susan ever sorted out the beavers living in her back yard, but if they're still there, maybe introduce some otters to the pond? Double or nothing on cute aquatic mammals?

When I rage when I'm playing games my cat knows and decides to sit next to me and stare at me with contempt.
And Paul, your not the only one that doesn't like flying. I will fly but I hate it when the plane is taking off and landing. Turbulance is hell too.
And Blackberry pie. Tho apple pie is good too :)

Just want to jump in on the Kickstarter issue. I don't think there's anything wrong with a member of game coverage source being part of crowdfunding for a game. They don't even have to come out and publically post anything about it. I do, however, think that doing so should disqualify that person from covering the title, especially in the case of previews and reviews.

The Tomb Raider reboot/prequel received the highest praise I have ever heard for a game from one of your very own reviewers when he said that he finished the game and the first thing he did was restart it. Guessing at how much time you reviewers have for playing the games you want to play tells me that any game you want to replay once you have finished it means it is likely worth my money and sparse free time.

Ken Sapp:
The Tomb Raider reboot/prequel received the highest praise I have ever heard for a game from one of your very own reviewers when he said that he finished the game and the first thing he did was restart it. Guessing at how much time you reviewers have for playing the games you want to play tells me that any game you want to replay once you have finished it means it is likely worth my money and sparse free time.

That was me, and I'm not a he. :)

Susan Arendt:

Ken Sapp:

That was me, and I'm not a he. :)

Sorry, everything just blurs together after awhile, especially when I am still waking up. I beg forgiveness and offer up cute images in payment

ISO 8601 also makes Pi Day possible 2013-03-14. So your Pi Day argument is invalid and you must rebel against your silly date format.

Best sloth ever...

<--------------------

Tried to listen to the podcast earlier this week, so I can actually get here before the party ends, if you know what I mean, and get in on the conversation.

About the couple playing League of Legends, I feel you omitted one very crucial piece of advice. Play with friends! I'm not a LoL player myself, but my sister is, and she plays with her boyfriend, and a bunch of friends from work. I've been at their house while they were playing (and I was off in a corner of the room reading a comic), and it was a very calm and civilized game, with polite commands being transmitted via Skype. I also have a few clanmates who play LoL and they always play with teammates from the clan. Knowing the people on your team will go a loooooooong way to avoiding frustration with PUGs (pick up groups).

Also, I'm just so incredibly glad Justin brought up the cooking in Guild Wars 2. I'm still playing that game, and that mechanic has got to be one of my favorites in that game (or perhaps even of all time). It's just so quirky, I love mixing up the ingredients in the "discovery" part of the skill.

The more I hear about Tomb Raider, the more I want to try that game out. Will definitely keep an eye out for future sales (my pile is big enough as is, gonna try whittling it down first). Not really listening to all the rabid fans who are complaining to the reboot (in fact, hadn't really paid much attention or even noticed until you guys mentioned it - the forums I frequent nowadays are more sedate). For all their moaning, the game still got made, and if I'm not mistaken, it's still selling well.

I understand Susan's frustration with rogue-like games, but for me, that was the highest praise I could've given to FTL. Over and over, my crew suffocated because of a breach I couldn't repair on time, my ship got blown into tiny bits, my crew exterminated by space pirates... And yet, I kept coming back. Over and over. I was incredibly frustrated by the game, but I still wanted to play. And that, for me, is a true sign that they were doing something right.

Now about cultures and stereotypes... This is something that just makes me sigh and shake my head. As a product of two cultures, I spend most of my time defending one from the other, and vice versa. In the end, it's very difficult to get a sense of a culture when you're on the outside looking in, and my best piece of advice would be to get a passport (and barely a third of Americans have a passport, that's not a stereotype, that's fact - one which utterly baffles me) and to get out and go see the world. I know plane fare isn't cheap, but in some countries, a meal costs less than 5 bucks, and you can get a bed for ten. Just sayin'.

I listened to this one at work and I felt like I was missing when I heard there was a video feedback :(

"Get on like a house on fire" is used frequently in the UK.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here