The Elder Scrolls Online Preview - Mud Crabs & Joe DiMaggio

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Rather play Skyrim indefinitely for free now, then pay $15/month to have NPC's tell me what to do.

Glad to hear the initial reports are promising. I just hope they don't go subscription based as that is a deal breaker for me.

KeyMaster45:
Really? I've never heard Guild Wars or GW2 referred to as such. Matter of fact I've never heard any games referred to as that. You're either the F2P business model or the subscription model.

Patently false. The only people who call either game in the Guild Wars series "free to play" are those who don't know anything about the game.

The devs themselves have constantly referred to their game's "one time fee", and most players call it "buy to play". You have to pay $60 to get it. That's not "free-to-play", as you're required to pay an upfront cost to even own the game.

There are generally three models for video game sales.
1) Free-To-Play: No cost to download and play. Usually is fully sustained by the sales.
2) Buy-To-Play: Must pay an upfront cost to download and play. Common model for non-MMO games, as well as non-subscription MMOs that are sold at retail.
3) Pay-To-Play/Subscription: Must pay a regular fee (usually monthly) to maintain access to the game. May or may not also require a purchase fee for the download and/or expansions.

All of these models can (and often do) take advantage of paid DLC, expansions, and other forms of micro-transactions. So it's not an either-or thing, you're not obligated to have no cash shop if you run a subscription model (see: SWTOR), nor are you obligated to have a cash shop if you're free-to-play (though I don't know of any game offhand that runs on no money, so this is extremely unlikely).

And all evidence at this stage points to TESO likely being subscription-based. They've been building the game for five years and *still* refuse to give a pricing model? Considering they're competing against GW2, which openly admitted its pricing right from the start, that would heavily imply that the game is subscription-based. They're trying to keep the pricing scheme low-key for now to focus on the game, so they can get people hooked early....then they'll pop the "oh, btw, it's a pay-to-play game" at the end. SWTOR did the exact same thing.

This game sounds better than I thought. Are monthly fees planned for this game?

CrossLOPER:
This game sounds better than I thought. Are monthly fees planned for this game?

there has been nothing said about possible payment models for the game.

ViciousTide:
Rather play Skyrim indefinitely for free now, then pay $15/month to have NPC's tell me what to do.

than* and remove the comma.
Saying "then" and having the comma completely changes your argument. Unless you actually do want to pay $15/month to have NPC's tell you what to do.

OT: I've never really liked MMO's but I've always loved the Elder Scrolls so I'm kind of torn here.

I'll take an arrow to the knee, before i pay a monthly fee.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here