Zero Punctuation: Tomb Raider

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Tomb Raider

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Tomb Raider.

Watch Video

Fun review. Interesting how Really good the game ended up being. everyone expected the Same sexy laura, but They really did a good job of reinventing the character.

keep up the awesome work, yahtzee!

Meh, I'll probably pick it up when it's 10 bucks on a steam sale. I don't really think it's worth 60 whole bucks right now.

Captain Walker (i.e. me) didn't decide to use white phosphorus. The developers forced us to use it.

It's still fun to play but instead of Tomb Raider, they should have called it Raiders of the Lost Arc.

Great review once again Yahtzee! I think all games should strive to be reviewed by you, it's like a rite of passage for good games to be ravaged by you. It's like a roast almost. Anyways, loved the game, loved the review, nice day to all!

Edit: Forgot to mention, hey feminism, notice how no chicks in tomb raider died? NOT ONE. Of all the deaths, good guys and bad guys, THEY WERE ALL MALE.

"Brain matter house painter".

Now, if Jeffery Dahmer had used this title, he might have fit a niche somewhere in today's society. Oddly enough, Lara Croft fits that particular title just right.

DVS BSTrD:
It's still fun to play but instead of Tomb Raider, they should have called it Raiders of the Lost Arc.

Anyways, I demand a new game genre called "You can do this", where one central mechanic is just not enough for the developers and they demand to squeeze more of them into the game.

I just saw "I Spit On Your Grave" recently, so it's neat to get that reference.

I'm glad he mentioned Lara's inability to cover her tits wear a coat to stay warm. That kind of thing is a "Once Seen Cannot Be Unseen" game fault.

It's interesting that he criticizes the character arc without damning it. I wonder if he found it a little difficult to condemn this one.

Pretty good review. I kinda disagree with Lara being entirely reactionary. She decided to find her friends because she felt responsible for their situation.

"I Spit On Your Tomb"

I can no longer breath. Thanks Yahtzee, I am now dead.

DVS BSTrD:

I was going to post some horrible video of NPC executions in this game, but Jesus Christ, they really do a number on her...

Also, what is "netball?"

Machine Man 1992:
Captain Walker (i.e. me) didn't decide to use white phosphorus. The developers forced us to use it.

Captain Walker was not meant to be you, he wasn't a blank slate protagonist like off of Skyrim or Dragon Age. His character did decide to use the white phosphorus in the same way that any fictional character in any medium choses to do the things that they do.

Machine Man 1992:

Captain Walker isn't a blank slate that you're supposed to project yourself onto.

He's an actual character (i.e. not you) with his own motivations and personality.

Machine Man 1992:

Yyyyyyyeah. I was kind of thinking the same thing.

The Gentleman:

Also, what is "netball?"

Think of baskteball, but you aren't allowed to move while holding the ball. The rules vary from that, but that is the gist of it.

Machine Man 1992:

That is true, except in using that example, Yahtzee was talking about character in-game choice, not player choice. In the setting of Spec Ops, Walker, as the army Captain investigating Dubai that he is, chose to use the white phosphorus while his squad objected to it, saying they had other options. You as a player don't technically have other options, but, in the scale of Spec Ops, the character of Captain Walker did.

i like the game. this talk about the title is starting to piss me off its tomb raider end of story

Machine Man 1992:

You are not making captain walkers decisions..it's not a role playing game, or a decision based game.

I can understand it gets confusing because you are given the illusion of choice and your brain decides it's a typical choice based game like mass effect or something...but it's not.

That would be like saying; 'the Tomb Raider developers made me kill all those islanders'. It's not a valid critique

Full:
"I Spit On Your Tomb"

I can no longer breath. Thanks Yahtzee, I am now dead.

Yea, that has to be the best game re-name ever.
So another reboot that 'surprisingly' sucks. Are reboots the new Movie Tie In games? Don't see too many of those anymore huh?

I respect that, near the end of the review, he was able to identify the problem with the industry right now.
There may not be a man pulling her strings, but females still remain reactionary. No agency in their lives.
In this case the "man" is just replaced with "the universe", and that's not an improvement. It's a sidestep of progress.

Come on, industry.

Meaning of Karma:

Machine Man 1992:

Captain Walker isn't a blank slate that you're supposed to project yourself onto.

He's an actual character (i.e. not you) with his own motivations and personality.

Exactly.
People think it's a choice based game because of the illusion of choice you are given. Brain reverts to Bioware mode lol

IronMit:

Machine Man 1992:

You are not making captain walkers decisions..it's not a role playing game, or a decision based game.

I can understand it gets confusing because you are given the illusion of choice and your brain decides it's a typical choice based game like mass effect or something...but it's not.

That would be like saying; 'the Tomb Raider developers made me kill all those islanders'. It's not a valid critique

And that somehow makes it okay?

Also, I don't remember making you the official Decider of What Is and Isn't Valid Critiques.

The Gentleman:

DVS BSTrD:

I was going to post some horrible video of NPC executions in this game, but Jesus Christ, they really do a number on her...

Also, what is "netball?"

Like those branches in the river?
RIGHT.
IN THE SAME.
SPOT!
Every Time!

I started playing Tomb Raider and it's a lot of fun and beautiful. Buuuut, you are playing 2 different games: Tomb Raider: The sad story of survival of Lara Croft and Tomb Raider: I pressed Y motherfucker. The game mechanics are completely separate from the story. As every other review mentioned, one minute you're crying for taking a human life, the next you receive bonuses for headshots. Still, it's a lot of fun, and a good origins game. I'm looking forward for the next one.

EDIT: I fully support changing the game title to "YOU CAN DO THIS" or "hhmm..ohh...<whimper>"

Ok, that bit with the timers ticking down was hilarious. XD

Also, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who's missing games challenging me. (well, within reason. RE4 on professional mode is just plain SICK in terms of difficulty, even WITH the superior air of a wii-remote. x_x)

Should of called it Quick Time Raider in my opinion. I just really disliked it. There wasn't a lot of game play.

Machine Man 1992:

IronMit:

Machine Man 1992:

Also, I don't remember making you the official Decider of What Is and Isn't Valid Critiques.

I don't remember making you the decider of who is the decider of valid critiques.

I descended from Lord Critiquese of critiqueHall. So I have divine right to the title

I have yet to play Tomb Raider, but I did want to say that the sound of Yahtzee panting shall haunt me for quite some time.

Keep up the good work.

Machine Man 1992:

It's a valid criticism of the game (in that it condemns you for the action without giving you any other choice) but it wasn't entirely appropriate in this context. Just because we, the players, didn't decide to use it doesn't mean that Walker didn't.

Okay....really off topic, but are the cards at 3:32 from KSC (Karlsruher SC)? German third-league football-team?
Thats pretty obscure, isnt it?

Machine Man 1992:

You are not Captain Walker.

CAPTAIN WALKER decided to use the white phosphorus. YOU didn't.

I have to agree with a lot of people this game was very fun, but like was said in the review I was not invested in her emotionally during the gameplay. Though I will say there were some touching moments when she was interacting with her friends (friends by the way that I thought were 100 times more interesting then Lara and wanted to know their story, RIP stereotypical Irishman).

Also something he didn't touch on in the review, did anyone else notice this game suffered from some completely useless skills? Why would you offer me to point out all the optional tombs on the map when the game will do that for me anyways if you get within a mile of them?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here