A BioShock Infinite Primer

Pages PREV 1 2

Farther than stars:

Shocksplicer:

Farther than stars:

Actually, Germany's doing quite well right now. Economically speaking you could say that it's in the best shape of all the Western nations.

As an Australian I can tell you that our government and economists often claim that we have the strongest economy post-GFC. This probably just indicates that nobody really came out on top... :/

Ah, you're absolutely right. It looks like I fell for the common mistake of forgetting Australia as being part of the West, since it doesn't border the Atlantic. But I definitely agree that there's a case to be made for Australia's economy. Natural resources certainly top Germany, but then your buying power is a lot less, which is a major factor in determining economic flexibility. However, I would agree that, in broad strokes, having a debt of 30% relative to GDP is better than a debt of 87%. So I would amend my earlier statement to say that Germany has the second-strongest economy of Western nations. ;)

Someone conceding a point... ON THE INTERNET? INCONCEIVABLE! :P
But yeah, perfectly understandable to forget about Australia when talking about "The West", considering that we're basically in the Far East. I've always found it a bit confusing that people use the term "The West", when they basically mean The First World.

All history is revisionist. The media sucks and will only enlighten you on historical events if it benefits their particular viewpoint or agenda.

Whenever the media or pundits claim, "The worst in recent history", what they're really trying to say is, "As far as we're willing to go to seem more sensational right now". Terrorism, war, shootings, conspiracy. These are not new concepts, and media conspiracy has gone back to, and far beyond the era mentioned in the article. The Hearst Corporation e.g., founded well before the strife in the featured era, had ties with the very same Pinkerton Agency. Muscling in railroads on landowner's properties, to the point of violence if necessary.. then running stories on how the deed-holders were criminal, etc. All so barons could get their tracks laid and their money made.

Hearst still operates many mass-media outlets in the US today.

You really don't need a formal education to resonate with the points in this article, but it will surprise you if you're subjected to "modern media" and don't have the sense to shake it off when needed.

Thank you for this article.

NameIsRobertPaulson:
Welcome to the US of A...

Many people look at their country and say "I've never seen our government in such bad shape." Germany and the US do not have this problem.

I wouldn't say that. Americans hate America more than anyone. We've got some of the biggest blame games going on in our media outlets. We just don't like it when other countries hate America.

Very good article. I have studies the time period some (not an expert by any means) and you did a good job. When we get to Columbia in just a couple of days (YEA!) I think we are going to find that there will be no "good" side. Heck I wonder if Booker is going to be a decent guy at times.

Thanks for a great article - I was vaguely aware of some of the concepts and events, but this primer nailed it.

Two things: One: I came here because Moviebob told me to. I was having him sign a Canadian flag whilst he was having a conversation with you, and he highly suggested your articles. Just letting you know I never break my promises.

Two: REALLY interesting read, especially as a history major in Uni.

Shocksplicer:

Farther than stars:

Shocksplicer:

As an Australian I can tell you that our government and economists often claim that we have the strongest economy post-GFC. This probably just indicates that nobody really came out on top... :/

Ah, you're absolutely right. It looks like I fell for the common mistake of forgetting Australia as being part of the West, since it doesn't border the Atlantic. But I definitely agree that there's a case to be made for Australia's economy. Natural resources certainly top Germany, but then your buying power is a lot less, which is a major factor in determining economic flexibility. However, I would agree that, in broad strokes, having a debt of 30% relative to GDP is better than a debt of 87%. So I would amend my earlier statement to say that Germany has the second-strongest economy of Western nations. ;)

Someone conceding a point... ON THE INTERNET? INCONCEIVABLE! :P
But yeah, perfectly understandable to forget about Australia when talking about "The West", considering that we're basically in the Far East. I've always found it a bit confusing that people use the term "The West", when they basically mean The First World.

I think you actually mean developed countries, first world only applies to Nato supporting countries, whereas warsaw-pact countries are 2nd world, and alas 3rd world being neutral countries. So I guess Switzerland is a 3rd world country right?

PayneTrayne:
Two things: One: I came here because Moviebob told me to. I was having him sign a Canadian flag whilst he was having a conversation with you, and he highly suggested your articles. Just letting you know I never break my promises.

Two: REALLY interesting read, especially as a history major in Uni.

Hey I totally remember that. Thanks for dropping by! Sorry it took me so long to see your comment -- getting back on track after PAX was pretty intense.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here