Escape to the Movies: Spring Breakers

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Spring Breakers

Disney meets Natural Born Killers in the latest Harmony Korine film.

Watch Video

I was really worried that this was going to be another The Grey fiasco, until he mentioned... those.

After Hangover Part II, they do probably need something to try to redeem the series. Plus, it looks like they're definitely going to end with this one (or at least that's what they're billing it as).

Ponies, wow, I wonder how they fit into the movie....

I might just ask if my sisters are seeing this...

Well that was fascinating.

I'm currently bemoaning the current trend of making absurd, raunchy movies (and adding in racism or sexism veiled as "pushing the boundaries") with no substance. At least there is hope here of substance.

Well, that's not what I expected. I kind of hate my generation, so I'm not sure how defining this movie will seem if I see it.
Edit: And dub-step makes my head hurt.

[Insert Fry-Eye-Narrowing-Picture here]
"Not sure if serious... or trolling..."

Eh, seems legit. Kinda ain't my thing, in the way Natural Born Killers and Tarantino films aren't my thing, but I saw most of those, and I'll probably catch this on Prime or something eventu-

OMG PONIES I MUST SEE THIS MOVIE RIGHT NOW RAINBOW DASH 4EVAAAARRRRRRR!!!!!

At any rate, love Franco or hate him, I've been anxiously awaiting the development of his film career since the first Spider-Man film. Overall, he doesn't disappoint (*cough* Colin Ferrell *cough*). I saw Oz almost entirely on Bob's strong recommendation, and loved it. 127 Hours is still on my to-do list, though.

Wild Things is considered a classic? By who? The rocks some people live under?

Seriously. This comparison has put this movie in the "miss it" category for me as it'll likely be, at best, this generation's Reality Bites. A movie frequently held up as a Gen X movie that has not held up. Kind of makes me sad I didn't see it back in the 90's when I might have thought it was good.

But, mostly, I'm going to give this one a pass thanks to the mention of all the crowd scenes set to dubstep music, something I have no idea what it is nor do I care enough to learn. It's kind of like breakdancing. I didn't know what it was in the 80's. I still don't know now and I'm sure my life would be just a little more empty if I am ever enlightened on the subject.

It sounds like a Bret Easton Ellis homage - with ponies.

I took a chance years ago with Bad Lieutenant and it payed off beautifully...this looks like another one I'm going to have to take a chance on. I've never heard of this before now though so hopefully I'll be able to find this somewhere that isn't DC.

Bob, you and the new Super Man movie are turning into me and Mass Effect 3, and look how well that turned out.

You might as well start baking cupcakes right now.

...Well then, contrary to my instincts I guess I'll see it now.
Also wait, why ponies?
I mean, I'm not a fan by any means but that just peaked my curiosity.

Not gonna lie, I barely understood anything you just said.

I suspect that this is one of those movies I wouldn't even come close to "getting".

You know, for having a little sister growing up with the Hannah Montana generation, I have to wonder if I'm alone in feeling as... well, distraught at the sight of seeing them get as twisted in delusion as you're saying...

The Gentleman:
Plus, it looks like they're definitely going to end with this one (or at least that's what they're billing it as).

Well, it's not a surprise Movie Bob did find also "Suckerpunch" to be a "great" movie.... So desperately trying to find any substance when there is none, it's reeaally pathetic.

Well, I know a few people in my school that will be surprised!

*thinks for a bit*

Actually no, I'm pretty sure the real message/theme(s) of this movie will fly past them.

EDIT: Oh wait, I just realised! This is essentially Kidulthood, but from an American perspective and with a more subtle message/theme(s).

Then this *will* fly by my classmates, as the American teenager lifestyle is desirable to them.

"Svengali".. Word of the day learned :) Always educationally to be here :)

Well of course there's ponies in it, they're probably a big cultural touchstone of the right-now all by themselves... I am curious as to the context of that and how this one turns out, but given my extreme dislike for everything this movie depicts, I doubt even the use of it as stark social commentary will allow me to get past the content.

Yeah, a safe miss then.

These kind of films never have any kind of substance no matter how hard you like for it.

Jack_in_the_green:
Well, it's not a surprise Movie Bob did find also "Suckerpunch" to be a "great" movie.... So desperately trying to find any substance when there is none, it's reeaally pathetic.

He really didn't, but that's neither here nor there. And he isn't the only one saying this film has substance.

"There are ponies..."

Ugh. Thanks for the warning Mr. Chipman. You have done your good deed for the day, kind sir. This review, although very in-depth already seemed a bit too much like your take on "Suckerpunch"- that being a search for substance where little to none was genuinely present, possibly even inventing it to justify the enjoyment of the film. *shrugs* Either way, with those three words, "Spring Breakers" got it's death knell as far as my purse was concerned. Be giving this one a pass now...

OK, let's unwrap this one:

-Borderline-pushing debauchery
-Promise of watching James Franco and a small army of barely-legals cutting the hell loose
-Potential to blow my mind

....let's do this.

Did not see that one coming...
I thought Bob was going to go all american pie on this one

Even if this movie has as much substance and depth as Bob says it does, I suspect that it will go right over the heads of most of the movie's target audience.

Sorry Bob, but that sounds pretentious as FUCK. And this wouldn't be the first time you went nuts over a movie that turned out to be a near miss for me. Sometimes you kind of....ignore a film's problems if you really like the idea they were GOING FOR, even if they didn't quite pull it off. (Sucker Punch, Daybreakers, and Splice, for example.) I have a pretty strong feeling that this is one of those.

Oh, and obligatory "In my opinion" statement. Although the fact that everything I just said is my opinion should really just be assumed.

Well, looks like I can safely give this one a miss.

At the very best this will be a netflix film on a particularly bored day.

Also, quick question regarding the presence of ponies in this film:
Is it used as an easy target for the sake of mockery?

Wow now I gotta see this movie, really thought it was going to be another stupid cash in on wild parties, but it does look interesting

Well, that was unexpected. I'm certainly still going to avoid this movie like the plague, though that is mostly because I dispassionately loathe my own generation.

RTR:
Also, quick question regarding the presence of ponies in this film:
Is it used as an easy target for the sake of mockery?

after some googlefu I found this:

Grenge Di Origin:

The Gentleman:
Plus, it looks like they're definitely going to end with this one (or at least that's what they're billing it as).

Yes, yes... I remember that. More importantly, I think there was pretty much the same reaction to the news of a new game/trilogy across the gaming world: "Why? It was done. The story was over. The studio doesn't even belong to you anymore. There was literally no reason for you to do this outside of a blatant attempt to make another money geyser. This was completely unnecessary and doesn't exactly endear you to your core base."

Don't get me wrong. I played the game. It is clearly superior in terms of basic metrics (gameplay, graphics, score, story elements, multiplayer, etc.) to the previous five games. But, much like the prequel games (ODST and Reach), the series ended for me at Halo 3 and I played the later games by borrowing.

Huh, so I'm part of generation Y then? I did not know that.

I hate most things to do with my generation and this film seems to contain all of them (excluding ponies!) I can normally endure a subject matter that I find vapid and shallow if the movie itself is supposed to have a deeper meaning, but this... I doubt I could even put myself through it. I mean, dub-step and Britney Spears? Blergh.

The Gentleman:
Don't get me wrong. I played the game. It is clearly superior in terms of basic metrics (gameplay, graphics, score, story elements, multiplayer, etc.) to the previous five games.

gameplay, graphics, score, story elements, multiplayer, etc.

score

You take that back right now!

Halo 4 may have been many things but its score was nothing next to Martin O'Donnell's original masterpieces.

Come to think of it, I found the gameplay boring as well. Pretty much only the graphics and Chief/Cortana's relationship and character development held up for me. The story itself was poop.

Oh fuck, there are poines in it? I don't want them fucking everywhere.

Robot Number V:
Oh, and obligatory "In my opinion" statement. Although the fact that everything I just said is my opinion should really just be assumed.

I think you're missing the point of the statement. The point of 'in my opinion' is not to inform everyone else that what you're saying isn't gospel truth, it's a device to demonstrate that you're willing to allow others their own points of view. Without qualifiers such as 'in my opinon', 'I find that' etc many people will find you antagonistic, arrogant and closed minded every time you're expressing an opinion they find controvertial.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here