No Right Answer: Worst Videogame Sidekick Ever

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Worst Videogame Sidekick Ever

With videogame sidekicks being annoying at best, and game breakers at worst, Kyle and Dan try to figure out which sidekick should be kicked in the side.

Watch Video

Slippy was the worse, with Tails, at least he was able to help Sonic in his adventures take Sonic Adventure 2 Battle for example. Also out of all of the Sonic side characters, why choose Tails, wouldn't Big the Cat be a better choice for worst sidekick

PS also Dan, Echidnas do exist, see

Companion Cube is worse than Slippy, you need to kill it in order to progress.

I hope we're going to get Best Sidekick ever now. HK-47, meatbags (does he count as a sidekick?)

If you can argue that Luigi is a costar and not a sidekick, then I can argue that Slippy is a supporting character and not a sidekick. Falco is more the sidekick than Slippy is, seeing as how he and Fox are usually the ones leading the pack.

I feel like this isn't even a contest. Slippy is worst by far. I barely played the original Starfox for 10 minutes before that frog got on my nerves. Tails(AI) on the other hand was cute, eager and relatively helpful. He never needed saving because he could not die. Tails was my first experience with CO-OP gaming. When you had 2 players of equal skill tails is the most useful and immortal sidekick you could ask for in that game. I used him to beat Robotnic all the time, helping Sonic ward off death / ring loss. Tails: helping Sonic avoid the game over screen since the 1990's. Nothing but love for tails. He needs to step out from Sonic's shadow and get his own game.

Urena Howard:
I feel like this isn't even a contest. Slippy is worst by far. I barely played the original Starfox for 10 minutes before that frog got on my nerves. Tails(AI) on the other hand was cute, eager and relatively helpful. He never needed saving because he could not die. Tails was my first experience with CO-OP gaming. When you had 2 players of equal skill tails is the most useful and immortal sidekick you could ask for in that game. I used him to beat Robotnic all the time, helping Sonic ward off death / ring loss. Tails: helping Sonic avoid the game over screen since the 1990's. Nothing but love for tails. He needs to step out from Sonic's shadow and get his own game.

He has had his own game.

Also, I couldn't help but be reminded of this video whenever I hear about how Tails works in the games:

Tails with his tails can out fly Slippy in his Arwing, that's how bad Slippy is. I'd actually rather have Tails as my wing man.

Ufff will refrain from pointing out all the wrong regarding Tails. That's what obnoxious fanboiz do. But I am noting there is much wrong stated about Tails.

And knowing both franchises back to front would have made this a little less funny I suppose (I still find this a lackluster installment guys, what gives). Slippy wins this one by a landslide.

Mad props for a Portland Winterhawks jersey. Great team this year. Wouldn't be shocked at all to see them winning a Memorial Cup if everyone stays healthy.

Not sure if it was intentional but I find it funny they chose the bunny picture to put over Seven of Nine since there is a character from Sonic SatAM and the comics that is a partially roboticized female rabbit.

So many terrible points by both peoples! But I can only type this for now.

Echidnas do exist. Also ya just asked for Bunnie Rabbot to be Sonic's sidekick.

Honestly since ya said it you now both have to watch the Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon series. It's known as Sonic SatAM now to the fans.

Ok, who is the hero, videogames or comic, that has the greatest number of sidekicks simultaneously?

Minions, hired hands, and military units not counting. Has to be people that you can look at and say, yeah thats a sidekick.

Oh god! To Seven of Nine is now a verb and I'm alright about it!

Although Slippy is annoying as all hell and I'd happily see him never return to a Star Fox game, he is actually marginally more useful than Kyle makes out. If he survives a level and makes it to the final boss then he will reveal the boss' power level, or health bar, which is a pretty useful thing to have. Without Slippy you have no idea how close you are to beating the bosses.

That's honestly all I have...

Urena Howard:

I agree. Maybe he didn't meet the consistency criteria, but everything else he said a sidekick should be, Tails was. He helped Sonic get aboard Wing Fortress Zone in 2, and the boss fight in Marble Zone in Sonic 3 is impossible to do without him. Slippy's only purpose seems to be to annoy the spit out of you.

Every Tails argument seemed like it was made by someone who has only ever played Sonic 2 because tails is awesome to play as in 3 and his relationship to sonic is explained in Adventure and that he had his own game.

scorptatious:

Urena Howard:

He has had his own game.

Thanks! Didn't know that. His wiki says he has three which I guess helps "prove" my point.

*brzt* "Fox! Get this guy off me!" *brzt*
-*brzt* "Fox! Get this guy off me!" *brzt*
--*brzt* "Fox! Get this guy off me!" *brzt*
---*brzt* "Fox! Get this guy off me!" *brzt*
----*brzt* "ICARUS IS LOOKING FOR YOU" *brzt*

Yeah s/he's definitely the most annoying game side-kick ever.

Tails was useless in Sonic 06 with that stupid throwing fake rings move.

Slippy can't do shit in any of the star fox games.

I rather have Tails over Slippy any day of the week.

I have to say this because no one else seems to be bringing it up: Slippy did do one helpful thing, and that was showing the boss' health bar. Other than that, though, he pretty much is the worst.

Dan should look up information on things he's going to debate because he got a lot of things wrong....

Dan should've mentioned tails in sonic 2 and 3, also known as THE F***ING BUBBLE STEALER

Yea Tails was actually a fun character in Sonic Adventure 1 and 2.

Slippy is just... gah.
Words can not describe what Slippy is.

I pretty much called this one as soon as I saw the title.

Rakor:
Ok, who is the hero, videogames or comic, that has the greatest number of sidekicks simultaneously?

Minions, hired hands, and military units not counting. Has to be people that you can look at and say, yeah thats a sidekick.

That's easy: Batman. That's why I never got his "grumpy, paranoid loner" schtick when he had enough proteges to fill every seat in a VW mini-bus. All his former and current Robins and Batgirls (except Stephanie Brown, don't know what happened to her since the new52 began) work together with similar costumed heroes around the world in Batman, Incorporated. It's awesome!

Good time to share this once again:

Obligatory.

That said, I think we all know Slippy was just there for moral support.

Personally, I have a hard time labasting any sidekicks when we've got games like Ico where the secondary characters exist wholly to be obstacles for puzzles.

This is not even close. Like comparing Jar Jar Binks to Bucky in Captain America for Movies. One is clearly useful and helps alot, and the other you just wish would die sooner than later.

Just because Sonic has fewer powers doesn't make Tails a bad sidekick. He's not the only video game character to have a supporting character have a more interesting and varied skill set steal their thunder due to the main character having cemented themselves into a narrowly defined set of abilities.

- The Belmonts have been playing Second fiddle to whomever is the main star of the game on that day since they're pigeon holed into their classic whip, dagger, cross, axe, holy war strike package for over 20 years with very little variation. if they appear in the game, they are a bonus character in some games. In harmony of despair I play as Shanoa over those whip users any day...Why because her move set is awesome. (especially in her own game.) Alucard went from bozo in castlevania 3 that even Dracula was ashamed to call his son to a showstopper in Symphony of the night. Which was the beginning of the end for the belmonts, as konami decided to branch out the series alot more.

- Zero and Axl both have a bit more going on under the hood than X. Capcom start tossing more armors to Megaman X turning him into the video game world's ironman to keep his classic buster everything to death style a bit more varied. Zero seemed to be everyone's favorite, to point his death was reversed...twice! They even at one point gave X zero's saber to make him more like him. (actually two of the game's he has it.)It wasn't till X 8 that we saw X go back to his more tradiational style, and let Zero be Zero. (X 7 , Megaman X wasn't even playable at the beginning heh.)

- Classic Megaman has been neutered down to what purist would class the Megaman 2 experience in Megaman 9 and 10. (I hate they stole his iconic slide.I can live without the charge.)Making Protoman the version of Megaman who has the charge and slide. (At the cost of extra damage and only 2 shots at a time.) The anti-hero Bass however is completely superior to Megaman for most part as he can fire in every direction but straight down and has a dash, and a cooler dog/jet mode. I'm sure that was intentional since he's a DLC bonus you pay for...He's gotta be worth your money.

- Mario in super mario rpg was limited mostly to his classic fighting style from the 2D platformers. Everyone else was either brand new(such as Mallow and Geno), or never had a signature style (Peach and Bowser.)that they could adapt whatever the heck they wanted to them without conflicting canon. While mario still useful, the other characters movesets felt much more natural to that world than his did.

Tenmar:

Also ya just asked for Bunnie Rabbot to be Sonic's sidekick.

My first thought as well. You have to admit, that would be more interesting...

Man, the score was being kind to Dan this week. I mean, half his "objections" could be answered in a two-minute perusal of any given Wiki article on the kid. Slippy on the other hand is just inexcusable.

InugamiTheHound:
Tails was useless in Sonic 06 with that stupid throwing fake rings move.

Slippy can't do shit in any of the star fox games.

I rather have Tails over Slippy any day of the week.

SONIC '06 IS USELESS IN GENERAL

Sorry. But seriously that game was a trainwreck and is not real.

Tail is by far better then Slippy. I love that little Fox. He was essentuall the Easy mode in Sonic 2/3&K and any other game you can play as him over Sonic.

Have none of you read the Sonic comics? Tails is a goddamn chosen one who frees his parents from an alien prison and then helps establish a democracy.
He's BADASS!

And let us not forget him in Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2!

I always seem to agree with Kyle. I actually like Tails he is a little annoying but he is whimsical, and he helps Sonic in his adventures with inventions and he also chips in in the fights.

Although I kind of disagree with this person's image of Tails, Tails is more of a four year old prodigy rather than a badass, but then again I haven't read any Sonic comics.

saintdane05:

DVS BSTrD:
Companion Cube is worse than Slippy, you need to kill it in order to progress.

But you feel bad about it. Meaning you love a cube more than Slippy, because he's a jackass who deserves to die.

verdant monkai:
I always seem to agree with Kyle. I actually like Tails he is a little annoying but he is whimsical, and he helps Sonic in his adventures with inventions and he also chips in in the fights.

Although I kind of disagree with this person's image of Tails, Tails is more of a four year old prodigy rather than a badass, but then again I haven't read any Sonic comics.

He still invents. He is their pilot, but Rotor is more of their tech guy. And Tails saved the universe at age ten.
Think about that.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or