Miracle of Sound: The Savage Side Of Me (Tomb Raider)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Savage Side Of Me (Tomb Raider)

It's letting loose the savage side of me.

Watch Video

Was I supposed to crack up at the "It's cold, it's cold, it's cold" bit?

Because I kind of did.

Really liked this one
Pretty fast paced song, in my opinion those are the ones you do best, but that might just be due to what music I listen to.

Savage would have been a more fitting name for this game than Tomb Raider.

As someone who was an archer for years all I can really say is, that is not how one uses a bow. She'd be lucky to hit the broad side of a barn like that. Good song though, as usual.

One word. Epic.

I mean that was stunning, it's the kind of song you listen to once and then go "Yeah I am buying this album no question about"! Really reminded me of your first album material as well.

Zhukov:

Because I kind of did.

I giggled too. The rest of the song was solid though.

I LOVED how it ramped up. And the deep pace really sells the gritty jungle themes of the game.

Zhukov:
-snip-

Fappy:
-snip-

That part and the "refuse refuse refuse" reminded me of a catchy pop tune... Silly but good. The part that you'll get pissed at for getting stuck in your head XD

If only pop was regularly this good. Then, like MoS music I wouldn't mind. I had Distant Honor stuck in my head for half a day once... I never regretted it. :)

OT: It seems like you JUST released Hell in the Headspace. I must have been really busy because time's flown. Wow.

I like this one (I haven't found a song of yours I didn't), but It's not my favorite, though as I've found with blood of the creed, I my may have to eat my initial "It's ok" feelings. XD

That one grew on me far far more than I expected. I love it now.

Also, this song seems familiar. Was it inspired by something? Maybe it's just me. My ears aren't the greatest at music so I'm never sure XD

Good! I liked it, it wasn't as "catchy" as some of my favorites, but it was very good indeed. And the graphics for that game are pretty amazing.

Zhukov:

Because I kind of did.

I'm not sure what you mean? That the line sounds weird or funny?

xplosive59:
One word. Epic.

I mean that was stunning, it's the kind of song you listen to once and then go "Yeah I am buying this album no question about"! Really reminded me of your first album material as well.

Thanks :) I feel like Level 3 is going to be overall a stronger collection than Level 2 was.

MiracleOfSound:

Zhukov:

Because I kind of did.

It sounds funny, as in amusing.

Like when someone burns their mouth on hot food and says, "Oww, hot-hot-hot-hot!" Except, y'know... cold instead of hot.

I'm not sure if it was supposed to be funny like that though.

Zhukov:

MiracleOfSound:

Zhukov:

Because I kind of did.

It sounds funny, as in amusing.

Like when someone burns their mouth on hot food and says, "Oww, hot-hot-hot-hot!" Except, y'know... cold instead of hot.

I'm not sure if it was supposed to be funny like that though.

You do know darn well it wasn't, but that's ok if you find it funny that way. Never noticed it myself!

Fantastic video and song. Think I'll be picking this game up when I get the money.

Kind of wish I could offer more creative and constructive praise than "this is great!", but, well, it's great!

You Can't Take the Sky From Me:
As someone who was an archer for years all I can really say is, that is not how one uses a bow. She'd be lucky to hit the broad side of a barn like that. Good song though, as usual.

on the bright side, if someone ever uses a bow to kill someone, no one can say that the game taught them to do it.

The beats in this were superb, I really liked how the song played out to where I wouldn't even watch the video- I kept playing The Savage Side of Me when browsing the forums on here lol. That means it's really excellent and you should be proud of yourself :}

You Can't Take the Sky From Me:

Your experience in the real world was different to hers though. You were a slave to physics while Lara has videogame suspension of disbelief on her side

MiracleOfSound:
Your experience in the real world was different to hers though. You were a slave to physics while Lara has videogame suspension of disbelief on her side

I know... Stupid physics making things react in realistic ways. On the other hand they do create The Archers Paradox which is kinda neat.

I liked it, will be borrowing the game off my brother when he is done with it, this song just makes me want him to hurry up XD.

Another awesome video, Gavin! I can easily see the song working along with footage from Far Cry 3, because that game and Tomb Raider Begins (I will eat rusty nails before I call a game series reboot/prequel with the same name as the original game by what its publishers named it) and your choice of clips work at making younger Lara more sympathetic (because the gameplay feels VERY different from the cut scenes) and keep to that game's intended themes, whatever they are.
Alright, that's enough video game art-snobbery from me. Keep up the great work!

I want to know Gavin's opinion on the game, because i really hope he saw and understood Lara's development (like the video suggest) instead of COMPLETELY missing the point (Yahtzee and his legion of "OMG I AGREE WITH YOU BUT I HAVE NEVER PLAYED THE GAME LOL I TAKE YOUR WORRD COS U GOD" army)

Also great song!I love MoS.Gavin what other music do you do besides on the escapist?

Really like this one. This might be completely wrong, but for some reason it feels very similar to the Uncharted song you released, yet entirely different; something about the tone of your voice and the rhythm that captures constant movement ties the song together for me, despite the fact that they have very different thematic tones. Was that intentional in any way, or is it one of those weird things that only I think is there?

slysean:
on the bright side, if someone ever uses a bow to kill someone, no one can say that the game taught them to do it.

Ya, because simple things like logic and reality have always stopped those kinds of people in the past... *Sigh*

Fine job! Really liked this, good leit motifs and all that/

MiracleOfSound:

xplosive59:
One word. Epic.

Thanks :) I feel like Level 3 is going to be overall a stronger collection than Level 2 was.

And you can bet that Level 3 is gonna be a day one purchase from me! Also where is Level 3 gonna start? Is it gonna be just 2013 material or is it gonna start off where Level 2 finished?

Jungy 365:
Really like this one. This might be completely wrong, but for some reason it feels very similar to the Uncharted song you released, yet entirely different; something about the tone of your voice and the rhythm that captures constant movement ties the song together for me, despite the fact that they have very different thematic tones. Was that intentional in any way, or is it one of those weird things that only I think is there?

It does feel a bit like Keep Drifting, is has similar 2-chord sequence in the verses/bridge. Co-incidence? Well, the two games are very alike... so... maaaybe. hehe ;)

xplosive59:

And you can bet that Level 3 is gonna be a day one purchase from me! Also where is Level 3 gonna start? Is it gonna be just 2013 material or is it gonna start off where Level 2 finished?

It's coming out in early April and will cover every song since Level 2 (19 in total I think)

Listening to this I thought at about the half-way mark that the song was good, but the seoond part really pushed it into greatness for me.
Up there with your other great songs, keep it coming.

The "down"s and "found"s feel a little strange. It seems like they would work better if they were longer. Right now it's like those lines want to resolve like a wave but end like a pop from a water gun.

The blend between heavy guitars, adventure-movie orchestra and the frantic tempo of the game really works well. This is a good song even if you know nothing of the game, which I suppose is your goal every time(?). Looking forward to level 3!

I like the song. Good work on capturing Lara's forced transition to savagery in a hostile environment. Although, I remember you tweeting that the radio tower bit was an excellent part of the game. I'm going on the assumption that it was your favourite part of the game when I ask this bit shouldn't you have saved that clip for later on in the clip?

Porecomesis:
I like the song. Good work on capturing Lara's forced transition to savagery in a hostile environment. Although, I remember you tweeting that the radio tower bit was an excellent part of the game. I'm going on the assumption that it was your favourite part of the game when I ask this bit shouldn't you have saved that clip for later on in the clip?

The video is somewhat chronological for the most part, so it is where it's meant to be. It also coincides with the 'Sun shines through/birds eye view' line, which is specifically referring to that scene :)

Phlakes:
The "down"s and "found"s feel a little strange. It seems like they would work better if they were longer. Right now it's like those lines want to resolve like a wave but end like a pop from a water gun.

I actually tried those long too but in the end having them short and sharp felt more in theme with the nature of the song (i.e. becoming a savage). Interesting that you pointed it out though

MrCollins:
Listening to this I thought at about the half-way mark that the song was good, but the seoond part really pushed it into greatness for me.
Up there with your other great songs, keep it coming.

Cheers! Very proud of the mid section in this one.

SoMuchSpace:
I want to know Gavin's opinion on the game, because i really hope he saw and understood Lara's development (like the video suggest) instead of COMPLETELY missing the point (Yahtzee and his legion of "OMG I AGREE WITH YOU BUT I HAVE NEVER PLAYED THE GAME LOL I TAKE YOUR WORRD COS U GOD" army)

Also great song!I love MoS.Gavin what other music do you do besides on the escapist?

I adored the game :) In fact it's my favourite one I've played in over a year. Would've been my GOTY had it come out in 2012

Holy shit, was that Vas from Farcry 3 at 3:50!?... Epic!!!

DeadEy3:
Holy shit, was that Vas from Farcry 3 at 3:50!?... Epic!!!

Did you think he was going to keep doing the same thing game after game and expect things to change? :P

It's a little unsettling how much that pic of Lara looks like Japanese pop legend Kamui Gackt in his "Uesugi Kenshin" costume," but with breasts......

Great, now I want to play this game. Thanks Gavin, like I don't have any other games to play (Bioshock Infinite, why do I lack the funds for you).
All jokes aside, great song as always. And Level 3 is coming out next month? Can't wait! :D

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here