Escapist Podcast: 086: PAX East 2013 Wrap-Up!

086: PAX East 2013 Wrap-Up!

This week, the intrepid Escapist crew catches their breath from the craziness that was PAX East 2013!

Watch Video

Thanks for the Podcat, Escapists

I actually had a pretty epic experience in about 3 hours with Botanicula. It's definitely quirky and not for everyone. But after I finished it I felt like had gone on a mini save the world adventure :)

Also! Thanks for recording and loading all of the PAX videos. It's so much fun to watch them.

Thank you all for another greatly amusing (And interesting) podcast.

Captcha: Nutrition

Huh...What a coincidence...

I've started considering the discussion of cute animal pictures to be nearly as important to a complete Podcat as food talk. In fact, I half expect the video to have a montage of them in the corner or something.

So what's with Susan mentioning Russ (or whoever he was she was talking about playing Bioshock Infinite alongside with)? Are they neighbors or something?

Xman490:
So what's with Susan mentioning Russ (or whoever he was she was talking about playing Bioshock Infinite alongside with)? Are they neighbors or something?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escapist-podcast/4159-014-Russs-Departure-Dead-Island-Your-Questions

I'm fairly sure it's that guy.

I'm loving the Escapist on the Road videos. It's awesome to get a slice of the events I can't attend and it gives me an idea of what the heck you are talking about when you postmortem them on the podcat. It's awesome so Thank You for putting that extra effort in for us!

Paul's reaction to the "interviewer" was fantastic and Go Megan!

A good dressing if you want more than just vinegar is raspberry vinaigrette. Really good on a fresh salad and light and refreshing in the summer. (I'm not sure if that is healthy or not)

Xman490:

It's her husband, Russ Pitts.

Xman490:

Russ Pitts, he's Susan's husband. Cool guy.
Use to be the "Editor-in-Chief" before Susan, and Steve Butts before her.

Steve Butts, also a real cool guy.

They both now do other things, but we still have Susan so that's cool. :)

Great PodCat today!

Xman490:

Vie:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escapist-podcast/4159-014-Russs-Departure-Dead-Island-Your-Questions

I'm fairly sure it's that guy.

*chuckle*...yeah. Jump to 51:10 to find out who Russ is.

Have to say, when I heard the guy said "Well they were asking for it, they were dressing sexy." That is the first ever time I have screamed at my desk listening to a pod cat.

What do I do in that situation as a person who isn't directly involved and someone is going around acting like that, cos not gonna lie, I'd want to stop it, but I wouldn't know how to.

I like Turkey lettuce and tomato sandwiches. Low calorie, high in vitamins and minerals and fiber. Tastes good. Filling. That's my favorite healthy food.

Also a bowl of Cheerios with a banana cut up in it is good as well.

Damn you for making me jealous for not going to PAX, you guys might make this one of my goals in life, which is incredibly rare from where I am.
As for the question at 46-50 mins in, I'd freeze too if I were asked that in the described context (for the record, yes, I am male, but I can understand the situation and empathize).
As for my response to the situation it would be "Why would you ask that?"

I don't think you lot give yourselves enough credit, I think this is the most professional gaming podcast I've ever listened to.

Guys, your RSS link in the description currently gives an error and a link to the 'Escapist Sizzle Reel'. This is because a '<br />' got left in there somehow.

Do you guys have any idea about the cost and effort it would be for me to go to a gaming convention in the US? Yet still you guys just keep tempting me with awesome and hilarious stories and videos. It really isn't fair :(

Hello! I attended the Take This panel at PAX East this past weekend and wanted to know if there will be a podcast of it or perhaps a transcript of the panel? Thank you in advance.

-Krista Grillo

I really enjoyed the game show night, and I found the Take This panel very... emotional. I teared up at times because some of it reminded me so much of myself. Sadly, I wasn't able to go to the Escapist Movie Night. I wanted to, but this was my first PAX. So I decided I'd wait in line and go to the concerts. And it was as I waited for that that my worst PAX moment happened. I got in line at 5:10, waited and waited and waited, we went up to the main area and lined up, etc. I think I was the tenth person in line roughly. Then, I decided to go use the bathroom to wash my hands and fill my water bottle. I came back... and the first 8 lines had already gone into the theater. :( I still got a good spot, but I wasn't in the very front like I'd wanted.

I'd actually wanted to say hi to Susan at some point though. But I didn't want to do that after the Take This panel... that seemed like a bad time to come and say 'hey, remember me? I'm that one guy who did that one thing months back.' And after the Game Show Night, I was exhausted and just went back to die... er, sleep in my hotel room. Oh well.

There's something odd about me and conventions. when I was at PAX, I never got hungry. Like, I ate some granola bars, and I forced myself to pick up a sandwich from 7-11 on Saturday, but I never really had to eat. The same thing happened during the Escapist Expo last year. I think I just feed on the energy of the convention to survive.

Overall I had a great time at my first PAX though.

Cherry Tomatoes. Perfect snacking food.

Kapol:
I really enjoyed the game show night, and I found the Take This panel very... emotional. I teared up at times because some of it reminded me so much of myself. Sadly, I wasn't able to go to the Escapist Movie Night. I wanted to, but this was my first PAX. So I decided I'd wait in line and go to the concerts. And it was as I waited for that that my worst PAX moment happened. I got in line at 5:10, waited and waited and waited, we went up to the main area and lined up, etc. I think I was the tenth person in line roughly. Then, I decided to go use the bathroom to wash my hands and fill my water bottle. I came back... and the first 8 lines had already gone into the theater. :( I still got a good spot, but I wasn't in the very front like I'd wanted.

I'd actually wanted to say hi to Susan at some point though. But I didn't want to do that after the Take This panel... that seemed like a bad time to come and say 'hey, remember me? I'm that one guy who did that one thing months back.' And after the Game Show Night, I was exhausted and just went back to die... er, sleep in my hotel room. Oh well.

There's something odd about me and conventions. when I was at PAX, I never got hungry. Like, I ate some granola bars, and I forced myself to pick up a sandwich from 7-11 on Saturday, but I never really had to eat. The same thing happened during the Escapist Expo last year. I think I just feed on the energy of the convention to survive.

Overall I had a great time at my first PAX though.

Silly, I recognized you in the crowd. You certainly could've said hi.

Krista Grillo:
Hello! I attended the Take This panel at PAX East this past weekend and wanted to know if there will be a podcast of it or perhaps a transcript of the panel? Thank you in advance.

-Krista Grillo

Perhaps. I'm still thinking about it. If you attended, you understand why that's something I'd have to work up to doing.

I like the term "feminazi". Cuz before that, whenever you were talking about a feminist, people were always like "wait, the good kind, or the bad kind?" Now the feminist is a good thing, and the bad kind have their own word;D
But in regards to that situation of: what do you do if you're a man and you see a woman being mistreated in a not immediately dangerous way - I can imagine being dubious about stepping in, because you don't want to look like the hoperful white knight in the presents of one of these feminazis. In the end, I think doing the right thing will win out, but the fear is there.
A running gag at my university is that I'm the shmuck who always gets stuck holding the door open for large bodies of people (because I'm overly careful about not letting the door go in people's faces) and occasionally I get shit for holding the door open for women. And now, although I still hold it open, because it's common fucking manours, if it's a woman I have this fear of "oh god I hope she doesn't think bad of me for it!"

Missed friday at PAX but watched Game Show Night here online, but I totally had a blast at Escapist Movie Night!!!! Q&A went a bit long but the entertainment pretty much made up for it.

Also I just avoid Twitter completely in case of spoiler slips, but I fucking love Tumblr Savior when it comes to that. It's basically a blocking app for tumblr that hides any posts containing keywords you choose that are mentioned in tags. Twitter definitely needs to create a mobile app for this too.

itchcrotch:
I like the term "feminazi". Cuz before that, whenever you were talking about a feminist, people were always like "wait, the good kind, or the bad kind?" Now the feminist is a good thing, and the bad kind have their own word;D

Unfortunately, some people use that as a synonym for 'feminist', so if you use that word, it might be misunderstood.

itchcrotch:

But in regards to that situation of: what do you do if you're a man and you see a woman being mistreated in a not immediately dangerous way - I can imagine being dubious about stepping in, because you don't want to look like the hoperful white knight in the presents of one of these feminazis. In the end, I think doing the right thing will win out, but the fear is there.

Or, if you're a woman butting in when a guy is mistreated, you have the risk of getting the 'GRR, you are threatening my masculinity'-reaction...

I guess the key is understanding the context present, for example if those people know each other, how public the situation is and what kind of a position people being harassed (and you) are.

Take the situation described in the Podcat, for example, those cosplayers didn't know how to respond and whether they should acknowledge the guy's questions or what.
That the guy's behaviour was unacceptable, just like if he'd acted in a distruptive way by being drunk or something, and cons should have people responsible for dealing with people like that.

I need to find a picture I took of a father and daughter dressed as Princess Bubblegum and Lemongrab

Edit: and I think the other daughter was a ninja turtle.

Susan Arendt:

Silly, I recognized you in the crowd. You certainly could've said hi.

I know I could have, and would have if not for a variety of factors involved. I appreciate you saying that though. Hopefully I'll be able to make up for it by coming to the next Escapist Expo.

I wanted to thank you guys on the perfect civilized and sensible talk you had about Meagan Marie's blog post. I'd heard about it through another source and was absolutely appalled at the incidents that she related. Those men's behavior is absolutely unacceptable, it has to stop.

But you ask, how would we react? Well, for the record I'm a 30 year old female and I have had this kind of behavior happen to me. Worst part, it happened at work. And what did I do? First time I froze and didn't know how to react, second time I laughed nervously and the times after that, I made stupid jokes to shrug it off. Was it okay? No! But like Susan says, we're brought up to be peacekeepers (I was soooo nodding my head at that part), and that's what I did. Didn't help that I was an intern at the time, at the bottom of the chain, and that this kind of behavior was almost expected of manly surgeons.

I'm so glad that Meagan Marie stepped up and that the PAX security took it seriously. I still hope and believe that behaviors are changing, albeit slowly. There are decent men, heck, decent people out there. It's those morons in the minority which can ruin other people's days.

Was also really glad you guys mentioned healthy foods!! As a dressing, the recipe my parents taught me also involves a bit of mustard, doesn't anyone use mustard in their salad dressing? Mine is one spoonful of balsamic vinegar and one of mustard, mix then two spoonfuls of olive oil. Add salt and pepper to your liking. It's still pretty healthy, especially if you're using the coarse French mustard made mainly from black mustard seeds (a lot less fatty than its American counterpart) and a bit thicker.
And yes, baby carrots are aweeeeesooome!

Also, I can't stop watching Kapol's avatar.

Wait, why is it so surprising that Justin can cook?

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 54106)