Jimquisition: Bullshit in Sheep's Clothing

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Once I went to that 'check out more drill queen' link and it turned out there was no more, they only ever made that 1 song.

Congrats on hitting 100 episodes, Jim! I'm one of the many who thought your first episodes were crap trolling for its own sake, but damn if I didn't warm up to you! Your points got more concise and eloquent, and I hope to hear more. When did MovieBob recommend you?

I'll stick around for another hundred of these, definitely.

Jim, you are the person that brought me into this brave new world of Escapist
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/6.353118-Jimquisition-Mass-Effect-3-And-The-Case-For-A-Gay-Shepard?page=14#14021616
So Jim from the bottom of my frozen heart- Thank God for you sir!

And to be honest I'm still wondering what drugs are you on.
(and where I can get some of those too)

P.S. Must ask- how does that purple dildo tasted?

Ok Jim, that was cute. Now change the intro back to what it was. Hate to tell you, but that cut is significantly worse. Cool?

Hey jim i really like the outfit change it actually looks kinda "Dashing" not that I see your character doing much more than a light jog any time soon. Didn't really like the show at first but you won me over can't wait to see what is happening next :D!

Well done good Sir, and I hope you did not get Aids from all the insecurity you sucked off.

it been 100 eps already?

nice.

and yeah, I'm one of those people that hated the early eps, I kept watching cause >.> I had nothing better to do really, but then you started getting better and I started looking forward to the show, now it's a part of my Monday routine

happy 100th episode!
also when you opened "army of 2: the devils cartel" it actually had naruto ultimate ninja storm... was that on porpose?
also i liked the previous music better... but what ever...

This thing that Gibeau is saying does present some interesting legal implications. Here in the US the anti-circumvention clause of the DMCA makes it illegal for us to crack DRM even for non-infringing purposes. If Gibeau's statement is EA's official position, that the persistent-online-connection is not a DRM implementation, it may make it legal and acceptable for someone to mod Sim City by eliminating the always-online requirement and creating a localized game-save system.

Similarly, that may mean it's possible to bypass the payement parts of microtransactions and on-disc DLC, if those are retermed as features i.e. for the benefit of the user, and not DRM protected extras. In that case, it would be acceptable (even encouraged) to mod easy access on the basis that the user-experience is being improved.

238U

Jimothy Sterling:
Speaking out of character, I know full well the first few episodes were dreadful.

I thank everyone, sincerely, for giving it the extra chances it needed. :-)

I actually didn't mind the first videos at all, I just thought they were very rough around the edges.

But yes, they just grew better and better. :D

I actually really liked the early Jimquisitions, but they had this heavy layer of satire that meant the actual point of the show was usually lost on most people (including me sometimes until someone managed to decipher the point in the comment section.)

I think the reason these have become so successful is that Jim is right, he gets the issues that come up that affect gamers, and simply explains them in a way that point out what is obviously rotten about the issue, and what needs to change. It's a brilliant formula and it works so well.

Thanks Jim may your next 100 be just as... quisitiony

Liked your show from the first time it came to the Escapist, and I'm glad you will be staying for the future! The Jimquisition has become an important part of any good monday. Thank God for episode 100!

That new header is goddam' sweet.

That's all I have to contribute really.

FOUR MORE YEARS! FOUR MORE YEARS!

You're damn right SimCity is not an MMO and it's just more DRM. The sad part is that EA didn't even have to think this one up on their own, people were offering this defense on EA's behalf for them long before EA ever came right out and used it. I really don't get people sometimes, going so far out of their way to defend companies that don't care about their loyalty in any way and are only looking to fuck them up the bum as hard as possible.

Anyway, congrats on 100 episodes. Here's to 100 more!

Uriel-238:
This thing that Gibeau is saying does present some interesting legal implications. Here in the US the anti-circumvention clause of the DMCA makes it illegal for us to crack DRM even for non-infringing purposes. If Gibeau's statement is EA's official position, that the persistent-online-connection is not a DRM implementation, it may make it legal and acceptable for someone to mod Sim City by eliminating the always-online requirement and creating a localized game-save system.

Similarly, that may mean it's possible to bypass the payement parts of microtransactions and on-disc DLC, if those are retermed as features i.e. for the benefit of the user, and not DRM protected extras. In that case, it would be acceptable (even encouraged) to mod easy access on the basis that the user-experience is being improved.

Ooh, I like this idea. EA would either have to admit that it is intended as DRM (which we all know very well it is) in order to put up a legal fight against it, or be stuck on the receiving end of a buttfucking for a chance because they don't want even more bad PR from doing the former.

Shankity Stick:
Ok Jim, that was cute. Now change the intro back to what it was. Hate to tell you, but that cut is significantly worse. Cool?

People watch it? I watched it this one time because it was different, but next week I go back to skipping it again. I never watch any intro longer than 10 seconds, because once you know when the intro is over, it's so easy to skip ahead to 0:20 on these or 0:16 on ZP.

Jimothy Sterling:
To answer the Naruto question:

Army of Two was in the other room and I was too lazy to get it. I realized the case would look lame empty. A review copy of Naruto was right next to my desk. I made the executive call.

Do you like Naruto, the game I mean. Im a long time fan of the series and im surprised just how good the games are, Gekitou Ninja Taisen is the only fighting game i've ever really enjoyed.

WAIT! You're not using the FF9 music anymore!? Well I guess I have no more reason to watch the show, it was fun while it lasted...

Frank Gibeau and all the gibbering idiots over at EA are just that, gibbering idiots. The funny thing is they think we, their customers, are bigger idiots than they are!
Of course if we keep giving them our money maybe they are right.

love the hat.
I am really happy you made it to 100, i didn't like your first couple of episodes but the way you improved the show so much so fast is something i have not seen before or since. one of my favourite internet online things. oh and this also made me check out podtoid which covers my weekly dose of anus conversations.

happy 100. episode and thank god for jim

Yeah, I gotta admit, all I wanted was for you to pack up and leave when the show first started. You tremendous prick! BUT! But then like a year later, I owed a friend a favour for checking out a certain comic or something, and in return I watched a Jim Quisition of his choosing, cuz he was all "Nar man! He's good now! Like, Yahtzee good!"
And sure enough, that douche from the first episode has been transplanted with some kind of scholar!
Here's to you Jim!... Still can't watch that first episode again... I'm too afraid. I watched every other one though!

Congrats Jim on your 100th episode, been watching you from the start. Here's to many more.

Glad to see Miniature Fantasy-Edition Super Secret Agent Willem Dafoe (Now with Kung Fu Grip!) finally got a smart looking suit of his own! One can only hope he later takes it off to reenact Antichrist in the background of the next episode.

While I like the new bowler hat, video title card, and shiny/distracting background, I feel that your red sunglasses simply aren't smarmy and/or British enough to fit the tone of the rest of your video. In their stead, I would like to suggest that you try wearing a pair of Spider Jerusalem sunglasses or A Clockwork Orange eyelash makeup to compensate for your aforementioned deficiency in smarm and/or Britishness. Oh, and happy 100th episode!

OMG, Danny Baranowski!!! :D:D:D:D, the Jimquisition just got 20% cooler!

I just loved his work in Super Meat Boy and The Binding of Isaac, also, this:

Congrats for the 100th episode!, here's to 100 more!.

"You can put a wig on a horse and stick it in a wedding dress, but you and the horse both know you're still banging a fucking horse"
MY SIDES. THEY HURT ALL OVER!

mjc0961:

Shankity Stick:

People watch it? I watched it this one time because it was different, but next week I go back to skipping it again. I never watch any intro longer than 10 seconds, because once you know when the intro is over, it's so easy to skip ahead to 0:20 on these or 0:16 on ZP.

I watch the intro. I like most intros people put together so I usually like to watch it. Since I like the song that Jimquisiton and ZP use for the intro, I actually like watching it.

OT: Congrats on 100 episodes Jim! I've been watching for about a year and really enjoy the work you put up. Here's to 100 more!

I am also one of those people who didn't like it at first and love it now.

Jimothy Sterling:
To answer the Naruto question:

Army of Two was in the other room and I was too lazy to get it. I realized the case would look lame empty. A review copy of Naruto was right next to my desk. I made the executive call.

I thought you were trying to make some kind of clever joke about Army of Two or something like that.

OT:
Oh I remember the early days, those videos were a little confusing.

Pleasure across the board.

To snark, to self-aggrandizement, and Willem Dafoe. Huzzah!

Good on you Jim, been enjoying you since the start, you've only been getting better.

I don't know if Jim will see this but either way nice work on all the eps. This is my most watched series on the Escapist after Zero Punc and I must say it's always an enjoyable show for me.

Nice work!

Also MOAR EA bashing yeaaaaaaa!!!!!

Watching you, Jim, has been inspirational. As I go forward and start my own YouTube thingy, I will remember the things you've learned and apply that to my own channel when I get it up and running.

Here's to the first 100 videos and to the next 100! *raises mug*

congrats on 100. same story as many others for me, i didn't like you at first, but you grew on me, and it didn't take long before i started thanking god for you. keep on keepin' on.

Adam Jensen:
It doesn't matter that this video pointed out the bullshit that publishers try to get away with. I've seen people on The Escapist defending the bullshit rhetoric you were just talking about. They actually believe that video games are services if the publishers decide to call them services. And they don't give a shit. They gladly buy it. And they don't see that they are the problem. A company can't get away with anything if consumers stop buying their products. Solution: STOP BUYING THEIR PRODUCTS!
Literally all it takes is to boycott one game until they remove the feature that caused the boycott in the first place. They will have to remove it if they want to make money off of it, and they won't dare to implement that bullshit in their next game. Capitalism is that simple. People have the power. All they have to do is use their brain.

Ever though that they do not care? Not everyone gives a crap about gaming. Some people just have it as a passing hobby; if a game fails for them, they just go on to the next. They don't know EA and they don't care to know because for them, there are much larger issues with other companies, like insurance and medical care.

Yeah, it's the "There are bigger fish to fry" argument, but at least attempt to see it from someone else's perspective before calling them brainless.

I think this is the result of our insulated community; we've deluded ourselves into thinking that we can make a difference. I think even Jim has himself convinced since we respond to him.

Here's the truth; the revolution is never going to happen. It can't happen. If EA fails as companies do, it will not be due to us being pissed off. It will be because of the FIFA, NHL, NFL etc. crowds getting bored with the roster updates. Do you honestly think they care about EA? No, and it's not apathy or brainlessness. EA fills their desire for games; playing as their idols in their favourite sport. You know, the purpose of the system, fulfilling the customer's desires? The same system that has these tactics work financially? Maybe we are pissed off, but there is a very large market that apparently does not care.

It's likely that I'll get more people disagreeing than agreeing, but that's most likely because the people that don't care don't frequent these forums because they aren't motivated to complain.

Online passes become ever more prevalent in gaming these days, although a few games, when sold used through GameStop, generate online passes for you within so many months of the games release. Sony does this, as does Warner Bros. Interactive. While this is a nice gesture, it makes me wonder why they bother at all. I'm sure they have some sort of deal with GameStop.

It's one of the reasons I like 2K as a publisher - no bullshit codes, just you and your game. I remember a time when EA used to give incentives for buying new, rather than punishing players for buying used. Now they're doing both, which makes even less sense than just punishing players for buying used. Like, remember when buying Dragon Age and Mass Effect new got you some free DLC? I'd rather they just go back to that system. It's like they see the money people make from pre-owned games think that by eliminating used games (of any variety, not just what's sold at GameStop) that they will make all of that money for themselves instead. But hey, video games are a luxury right? So if you can't afford to buy a game brand new, well fuck you, or whatever mentality anti-used gamers have.

All that said, I'm glad you're still here, Jim. It's good to have such a consumer-minded voice in the Game Journalism business. You tirelessly tirade about the way we, as consumers, are treated by an industry that used to have to fight for our money, and is now demanding it before we've even seen the game played.

So congratulations on your 100th episode! For as long as your show is running, I'll be here to watch it.

I don't know how you did it, but Jim...your show went from my most hated of the escapist to one of my favourite shows on the internet, even beating ZP which I used to religiously follow.
You came a long way and made me eat my words,I think I know who to thank...

I was one of the many people who thought you were a hack when you first started out. At some point I decided to give your show another try and was pleasantly surprised to see that you'd taken the criticisms to heart (the constructive ones at least) and turned this show around. These days it's the light in the darkness that is Monday.

Thank God for you Jim. Keep spreading the good word!

Uriel-238:

238U

I like the sound of this.

Congrats on 100 episodes Jim!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook