The Escapist On The Road: LRR Checks Out Duels of the Planeswalkers 2014

LRR Checks Out Duels of the Planeswalkers 2014

LoadingReadyRun's own Kathleen De Vere interviews Adam Dixon from Wizards of the Coast about Duels of the Planeswalkers 2014, the latest Magic: The Gathering game.

Watch Video

While it's cool it's coming out for Android tablets, I can't see buying another one of these.

Oh no, Kathleen has been turned into a stereotypical floor journalist, all the strip search editing must have proved too much for her.

"I clearly know the whole story which I will use while I am getting to the, preestablished prompt?"

That developer seems so nervous it's amazing.

Can't shake the feeling that this is a comic sketch with Kathleen playing "the reporter". And a pretty good sketch, at that.

Lord Hosk:
Oh no, Kathleen has been turned into a stereotypical floor journalist, all the strip search editing must have proved too much for her.

To be fair, before she came on to edit Strip Search, she worked as a real-actual journalist, reporting on mobile apps for Inside Network.

I hope they can make this version playable unlike 2013. My copy on Steam is currently bricked with no way to play it.

Wow, that's some cutting journalism there, asking all the tough questions.

This video made me think about getting back into MtG card gaming. I know there are a lot of players in my region, so I'll have to talk to them about it.

Rack:

Oh come on, there's no need to be that way. We were asked by WotC if we wanted to check out the upcoming Duels game, and Kathleen and Graham totally stepped up to help us put together this interview. We published this video so any MTG fans who weren't able to get to PAX East this year (or weren't able to get to the Expo Floor booth because of the lines) could get an idea of what's coming up later this year.

darknight910:
I hope they can make this version playable unlike 2013. My copy on Steam is currently bricked with no way to play it.

That sucks. I can play it, but it's terrible to try and use a mouse ad keyboard with it because...Ponies.

I mean, I get why you would prioritise controller interface in some games, but a CCG? No! BAD STAINLESS! BAD!

I don't know why it's so hard to navigate with the keyboard anyway. Using arrow keys, my selections frequently "slip."

WMDogma:

Rack:

Oh come on, there's no need to be that way. We were asked by WotC if we wanted to check out the upcoming Duels game, and Kathleen and Graham totally stepped up to help us put together this interview. We published this video so any MTG fans who weren't able to get to PAX East this year (or weren't able to get to the Expo Floor booth because of the lines) could get an idea of what's coming up later this year.

I get that, but I didn't really get anything out of the video. I mean, maybe if this was the first DotP, this information would be new, but the only nugget I gleaned was that this year's story mode focused on Chandra. Otherwise, it runs the same checklist as the other DotP (Year number):

-New decks (which will probably mostly be variants on the same decks we've been playing for the last four years)
-Cards from core 2014 (And I thought we got a "preview" last year, too, so even that's not new)
-New Challenges (which, duh).

And no details, unless I missed them, of any new modes or anything. With previews of 2012, we got archenemy or archnemesis or whatever it was called (best game mode in the series), with 2013 we got Planechase and custom mana tapping (which was kind of a lame "innovation" but I'll take it).

While I'm not going to whine at Kathleen, LRR, or the Escapist for this, I get why people would be bothered by this.

I also question whether anyone's actually going to pick this up and play it for story mode, so that seems like a waste of focus. But I'm not sure that really is either here or there.

I'm guessing there might not be that much new stuff to reveal this time around? Which while disappointing is not that surprising since there are limits to what they can do with the game. Besides the interview was probably meant to try to attract new customers rather then try to make the people that are already likely to buy the game more happy.

Of course I would've loved to hear questions like
"So how about those planewalkers cards?"
"Can I adjust how much land is in my deck yet?"(Asking for total deck customization is pointless)
"Are there going to be promo cards like in 2013?"

But then Kathleen must have realized that having a entire interview of "No/we'll consider it for the future" would be pretty boring. :p

Graham_LRR:

Lord Hosk:

To be fair, before she came on to edit Strip Search, she worked as a real-actual journalist, reporting on mobile apps for Inside Network.

And Kathleen was a pretty good real journalist, and from what I can tell is now a pretty good editor, which is why this was so off.

I understand that companies want to put their message out but dont want to just have a person talking to the camera about feature so they set up these "interviews." These things always just strike me as uncomfortable at best, normally just bad. To see Kathleen, whos reporting and comedic writing/performing I respect, in the position made it even more uncomfortable.

I was waiting the whole time for the punch line like this was really a comedy interview but then it ended and it wasn't comedy. I was hoping that maybe Chandra and Jace or Lilliana would come in from the sides all wrestling style and say "LISTEN UP PLANESWALKERS!"

ETA: I think it was clear before strip search that she was a pretty good editor, the other videos she has done had a great flow.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here