Zero Punctuation: The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Yeah, game I'll skip. The first set of The Walking Dead was just amazing!
Love the zombies pulling the car at the end though. :)
Kratos kind of lost his appeal when I soon realized at work that there was a game you could challenge him and possibly win with fat princess so...yeah but no...just no. Fat princess is a fun game though!

I have to say I kind of agree with Yahtzee on this one. Sure the game wasn't super polished with the best graphics ever. There were some interesting ideas underneath the layers of crud though. I say don't get mad at the developer for making it, because they did a damn fine job with what they had. Get mad at Activision for not giving the game the time, support and money it should have in order to make it a worth while game. Honestly, I don't get why Activision did what they did. Sure you could make a quick cash in like this for the cheap, but people are going to hate it(like they did)and it seems like you would get more money back if you put more into it. That whole, "you have to spend money to make money" idea.

Overall, I bought this game used from Gamestop and was not about to hold onto it and not get my money back. I would, however, go as far to say its definitely worth looking at once its been out a couple months and is in the five dollar bin.

Fayathon:
Huh, I might pick this up, sounds interesting.

I thoroughly regret picking it up. The game indeed has some good ideas but the implementation is so incredibly bad that there's no fun to be had.

Leaving aside that it's one of the WORST PC ports I've had the displeasure of playing in a long time (seriously, this game looks like it could have come out in 2003 and it runs like shit on a pc that can max out Bioshock Infinite, it has the worst mouse acceleration I've ever seen in a game with no way to turn it off and nauseating FoV), the tension goes out the window after your realize that you can defeat any number of zombies just be running up a car and swatting at them for 20 minutes, and the horribly obvious and lazy spawn points don't help either.

The survivors could make an MMO quest-giver proud and they generally have the personality of a brick (with worse animations than your average brick).

The AI can be incredibly stupid (the aforementioned cartop killing borenanza) but god forbid you fire a gun, because they will navigate the freaking Labyrinth in record time to get to you and stiffly wave their arms in your general direction.

The level design is also lazy to the extreme. At first glance you might think it's a small, open map, but in fact it's actually very linear, with locked doors, barriers and cars blocking everything. Also it's quite hilarious how the zombies can open the doors to the small, empty, square rooms they spawn out of but have to bash their way through any door that you can actually interact with.

The only good thing I can say about the game is that melee combat feels quite weighty and brutal (though the bad and very limited animations kinda fuck that over as well) and if you are committed to ignoring the numerous ways you can glitch the bad AI, combat is quite satisfying: a single zombie is easy and satisfying to dispatch, but any more than one at a time become a genuine threat.

It's a shame too, the game had potential. Don't know if it's the developer's lack of skill, or simply lack of time and funding, but I feel what could otherwise have been an interesting franchise is now a dead end. (heh)

awwyeah, Redneck Rampage reference. Alright, not that exciting, it's not even that good.

Also, 'done like a sticky bun' is something I hope to use in future.

Daystar Clarion:
I was under the impression that this game was buggier than an entomologist's lab, is that not the case?

Kinda. Had a couple of crashes in the hour and a half I suffered through it. It's extremely poorly optimized though. Looking bad isn't a crime, but when it looks like it could have come out in 2003 but constantly drops under 15 fps on a machine that runs Bioshock Infinite like a dream... there's really no excuse for that.

Heck, I might even have continued playing the game if the framerate wasn't so incredibly inconsistent...

Also I found that stealthing around is pretty much hit and miss. Sometimes I could get close enough to shove my knife up a zombie's earhole without it ever knowing, other times they'd smell my character's buff, unwashed redneck body a mile away (or, you know, about 10 meters since I don't think every level in the game put end to end would stretch over a mile). Couldn't say if buggy or simply poor design though.

Let's face it, we all knew this game would turn out bad. But the sad thing about it is that there are actually a fair few great ideas in it that would have made it pretty decent. It's just that the game was rushed which is the reason it doesn't look or feel up to snuff at all, and that's what's so disappointing about it all.

Also, I would gladly get a God of War game centering on Kratos entering puberty.

Zachary Amaranth:

bificommander:

Maybe they patched it?

Maybe it didn't it Joe's usual narrative of fellatio to super-hyped AAA titles?

I'd say it's the opposite, if this were an EA game, we'd all be hearing about how evil EA and how they rushed this out and it never stood a chance.

It's Awful Publisher #2, Activision, but they aren't popular to hate right now.

Edit: He had someone interested in this game, which has been panned by reviewers, pretty universally, to the tune of as bad as A:CM.

anthony87:
Wow, between the Angry Joe review and the 2/10 from Jim Sterling I really expected Yahtzee to be harder on this.

I reckon he appreciates the fact that the game at least tries to do something interesting, even if it fails miserably. Though I still think I'd prefer a boring, pathetic piece of crap that is at least functional (I'm looking at you, Duke) over the rushed out mess that is Survival Instincts.

On the other hand he was much harsher to Mirror's Edge, for example, and that game is actually functional and reasonably polished, as well as fairly innovative.

I must say that I found the first person platforming perfectly functional and plenty fun on the PC, and everyone I know who's played the PC version shares my opinion. I actually feel that the better framerate and FoV make a world of difference over consoles.

thomaskattus:

Tahaneira:

Batadon:
Looks like it's Organ Trail but not as fun, hmph.

You misspelled...

Actually, considering the Walking Dead franchise in general, that spelling works quite well.

No, there is actually a game called Organ Trail. It is a zombie parody of Oregon Trail.

Huh. I did not know that. I'll have to give it a shot.

Nevertheless, I stand by my previous statement that it is appropriate for the Walking Dead series. *meaningless heroic pose*

So, super repetitive, poor grpahics, bad story, and a focus on first-person zombie shooting?
I'll be sure to keep an eye for it next time I'm in Gamestop... in the $5 bin.

I'm surprised that he not only reviewed this game but also didn't hate it. Everyone else seems to hate this game. Haven't played it myself but I'll probably give it a try at some point.

I wonder if he was on PCP the whole time playing through.
Opinions and bungholes, I guess.

Huh. He actually kinda liked it.

Well, colour me surprised. Hell, I actually did think it didn't look too bad.

Not that I'd buy it for full price, even with "full price" being at least ten pound less than most games in this case, but once it makes it's inevitable trip to the bargain bin, I could see myself quite happily wasting a weekend on this.

I actually heard plenty of negative comments about this game, so it's nice to see Yahtzee go "Hey! It's not that bad."

Also, this gives me another week to beat Bioshock Infinite before hearing Yahtzee either tear it to pieces or praise it for being almost as good as Bioshock 1.

So he only talks about points he would've liked to be a bit better?
He didn't rage at completely random shite?
He LIKED it??!!!

anthony87:
Wow, between the Angry Joe review and the 2/10 from Jim Sterling I really expected Yahtzee to be harder on this.

TotalHalibut also destroyed the game while noting the more interesting aspects of it but maybe we've all be led astray by the PC version reviews and the game actually works on consoles.

somonels:

anthony87:

TotalHalibut also destroyed the game while noting the more interesting aspects of it but maybe we've all be led astray by the PC version reviews and the game actually works on consoles.

Yeah, after hearing what the three of them had to say, I was expecting a lot more bile in this video. Quite surprising really. I mean, yeah, the game does have what seem to be some interesting ideas, but interesting ideas are useless if you can't execute them worth a damn. The game is still poo overall and that means I don't want to play it. I'll just wait until a better game scoops up those unrealized ideas and makes something worth playing out of them.

So wait, Yahtzee compared the game to Dead Space 3 and leaned towards Survival Instinct? Is he trying to pick a fight with Sterling?

Because I'd totally watch that brawl / wrestling match / lovemaking session

On Pay-per-view!

bificommander:
Huh. After Angry Joe's review, I figured this review would be a bloodbath too. Because what he showed looked pretty bad, and not just graphics-wise, but also the zombie AI. Yeah, they're brainless, but navigating a doorway or walking straight at you without turning around and smashing a nearby wall is still the least we'd expect.

Maybe they patched it? Eh, anyway, didn't care about this game before Angry's review, didn't care after, still don't really care.

And BTW, I'm still deciding if I buy Bioshock or wait for a price drop.

I was thinking the same, AJ showed it to be bugged up the butt hole.

As for Bioshock, the things awesome, I guessed the big twist but the ending was still pretty harsh.

Frostbite3789:

I'd say it's the opposite, if this were an EA game, we'd all be hearing about how evil EA and how they rushed this out and it never stood a chance.

You raise a decent point, though I'm not entirely sure they're mutually exclusive. Joe works backwards from a conclusion that a game's going to rock or suck based on promo and hype and tries to justify it and whether EA did it seems to be a part of that, but look at games like Mass Effect 3. He rants for like a third of the review, turns around and gives it a score that would belie that, then drops his "dumbass seal of approval" on it.

It's Awful Publisher #2, Activision, but they aren't popular to hate right now.

Or Capcom, the company he hates but will put all his hope in time and again. I think we're starting to see Stockholm Syndrome kick in.

Edit: He had someone interested in this game, which has been panned by reviewers, pretty universally, to the tune of as bad as A:CM.

Joe did? Wow.

Norrdicus:
So wait, Yahtzee compared the game to Dead Space 3 and leaned towards Survival Instinct? Is he trying to pick a fight with Sterling?

On Pay-per-view!

My moneys on Sterling, he's a big chap, I bet he could lay someone out if pushed.

mjc0961:

somonels:

anthony87:

Yeah, after hearing what the three of them had to say, I was expecting a lot more bile in this video. Quite surprising really. I mean, yeah, the game does have what seem to be some interesting ideas, but interesting ideas are useless if you can't execute them worth a damn. The game is still poo overall and that means I don't want to play it. I'll just wait until a better game scoops up those unrealized ideas and makes something worth playing out of them.

What I took away from them, mostly TB, is that there still are designers who try despite the publishers trying to shovel out things for the magpie-ish consumer. The big travesty is Activision - who else - selling it at a triple A price point.

PunkRex:

Norrdicus:

On Pay-per-view!

My moneys on Sterling, he's a big chap, I bet he could lay someone out if pushed.

And his dildo gives him decent reach that lets him get in the first blow.

I can always count on you yahtzee to review a game with sound judgement. I heard many a flaws in this game but you ... yes YOU Ben , you look through a graphically moderate game and give us the true feelings it brings you. You give all games an equal shot at being interesting and I fear that you might be one of the only ones to do so these days. I was just ready to give up on this game when you made me think twice. Thank you Yahtzee for just being you.

P.S I'm currently listening to you read Mogworld xD, your humour is as funny as it is twisted at times. :D

I'll give it a pass based solely on the fact that it has zombies in it. I'm sick and tired of zombies.

Fayathon:
Huh, I might pick this up, sounds interesting.

I'd advice against it.

It has original ideas, but severely lacks in execution and the main thing games are about FUN

You can kill entire hordes of zombies by yourself with a stupid QTE

How the hell does this walk away with a recommendation? I guess costing $20 in Australia forgave its lack of polish.

It's a full-priced game in all other territories, as far as I know, so not being able to "play with the big boys" is actually a complaint that SHOULD be leveled at it. My guess is the budget price let him forgive its intrinsic flaws. Like the graphics. And the bugs. ...I mean, Yahtzee did say he liked how dated Aliens: Colonial Marines looked. Hmmm.

I think it wasn't so much that Yahtzee enjoyed the game as much as it was that he liked how it was trying to be different from the other zombie shoot-'em-ups out there. I personally think it was poorly executed, but I have to agree with him, it's nice to see games that are at least trying.

Did he...did he like this game? I heard it was a huge load

Strange. Yahtzee seemed more miffed at God of War than he did at the actual game of the week. Going by Survival Instinct's poor reviews I expected Yahtzee to likewise tear this game a new one. I guess this was one of those '2 for 1' episodes then.

Bonus!

Well, Yahtzee was unexpectedly kind to this game. I'm also surprised he didn't spend most of the video comparing it to the other Walking Dead game in a side-by-side comparison, like he did with CoD:MW3 vs. Battlefield 3, and Infamous vs. Prototype.

captcha: points don't matter
especially true since yahtzee don't give 'em out

Really liked the Poe reference. "I'm going to brick it!"

Zombie: For the love of God, Yahtzee!
Yahtzee: Yes, for the love of God!
Zombie: RAHR! *swipeswipeswipe*

Now this was unexpected. What I'd heard about this game was that it was absolutely fucking awful, a disgraceful half-baked embarassment of a game that really had no right to exist; as soon as I saw Yahtzee was going to review it I said to myself "ooh this is gonna be ugly" and prepared myself for him to rip its tits off. I wasn't expecting him to actually appear to sort of LIKE it.

"open-ended"? What game have you been playing? The levels are the most LINEAR CLOSED-OFF levels that you can GET! The game PUNISHES you for exploration and has invisible walls ALL OVER THE PLACE! In some cases you cannot even take a shortcut because it is blocked off by an INVISIBLE WALL!

I don't think Yahtzee LIKED Survival Instinct so much as he appreciated what he felt they were trying to go for and might have done if they'd developed the game [much] more. Angry Joe pretty much had similar thoughts, but in a much more rage-filled package. Both acknowledged the many faults of the game, it's just that Yahtzee did so with a lot more calm than we're used to seeing from him. Remember, the only thing Yahtzee likes less than shit is 100% derivative shit. He does like to take a moment to point out potential even in a bad game.

This is odd, this is the first game I seen that the reviewers at large crucified a game while Yahtzee tolerated it.

Strange times we live in people.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or