Fuse Hands-On Preview: It's Raining Lead

Fuse Hands-On Preview: It's Raining Lead

Can Fuse avoid the unfortunate fate of many of this generation's shooters?

Read Full Article

I preferred it when it looked more like Ratchet and Clank meets The Incredibles.

I'm still keeping my eye on it just because it's Insomniac.

Aww. You made me go back and watch the original teaser again. And now I want a crazy cartoon shooter.

Aright, hands up, who thought this looked a lot more fun when it wasn't taking itself seriously?

Zhukov:
Aright, hands up, who thought this looked a lot more fun when it wasn't taking itself seriously?

*raises hand*
I do

Zhukov:

Everyone except the publishers. Which is why I won't be getting this.

MikeWehner:
Those of you who have followed the saga of Fuse already know that the game was originally announced under the title Overstrike. The initial trailer for Overstrike appeared very tongue-in-cheek, and while it was heavy on action, it was light on drama. Fuse appears to be headed in the opposite direction, with a darker tone and an overall emphasis on realism over the cartoony, campy style of Overstrike.

There just isn't enough gritty co-op 3rd person shooters, I guess.

Yeah, I'm not getting this either. It could've easily retained my interest if it kept the original style. As of now though, it's much more along the lines of a bargain bin purchase. Unless it requires an online pass, which in that case I'll just pass on this entirely.

Yeah, reading about this just makes me sad. We have enough gritty and realistic shooters, I want a campy, cartoony one :(

Zhukov:

Yup.

Really? They decided to go with the gritty and realistic? I dont mind those games but I think that there are way too many out there in comparision to campy and fun

Zhukov:

^o.o Here here! I still love that first teaser, cracks me up everytime. No way this interests me now.

"...it'll be interesting to see if the final product can...give us an experience we haven't had before."

Spoiler Alert:

No.

The campy/goofy Superagent style before gave it promise. It left room for guns, weaponry, and gadgets with unbelievable gimmicks that would be fun to use. So in an effort to avoid looking like TF2, they ended up looking like everything else.

Considering Insomniac Games's past record of Spyro and Ratchet&Clank, and considering EA's record of producing abortions, it may not have been Insomniac's decision to stray from their trend. Perhaps it's because EA wants the game to reach more mass-market appeal.

Regardless, all the people that got interested in the game from the refreshing original trailer seem to be turned away. It'll fade into mediocrity.

It seems that almost every single solitary person is in agreement that going from the cartoony tongue-in-cheek action of Overstrike to the mass market blandery of Fuse was a dumb idea. Whomever made this design decision has most certainly lost their game quite a lot of sales in doing so.

Zhukov:

Another hand up over here.

Can't say much that everyone else isn't already saying. They might want this to be the new Gears Of War, but it's going to be the new Binary Domain.

"cartoony, campy, STYLE." STYLE being the emphasis word there. People like STYLE, not so much the rampancy of "darker tones and realism" in everything now. . . -_- Because as we all know, looking like everything else in the market will make you do as well right? Right?!?!

Zhukov:

Raises hand. :( It looked so much fun then...

::Raises hand:: I would have played the crap out of Overstrike.... this just looks generic.

Korten12:

Zhukov:

Raises hand. :( It looked so much fun then...

Yeah, I even bookmarked the trailer so I could remain excited. When I found out in a game informer article how it changed, well, I lost all real interest. Now that trailer serves to be a sad reminder of what once was.

Absolutionis:
Considering Insomniac Games's past record of Spyro and Ratchet&Clank, and considering EA's record of producing abortions, it may not have been Insomniac's decision to stray from their trend. Perhaps it's because EA wants the game to reach more mass-market appeal.

You say that like it's even in question.

EA came down from on-high and said flat out that they wouldn't fund it unless it looked like gears of war and/or call of duty, because that's what they do. It's more than a little ridiculous at this point.

Did everybody love that original trailer that much? I though it looked awful then, and the forced "wackiness" made it seem like something that would become immensely grating after about five seconds.

Zhukov:

*raises hand*
I really miss the funny teaser...

major_chaos:
Did everybody love that original trailer that much? I though it looked awful then, and the forced "wackiness" made it seem like something that would become immensely grating after about five seconds.

It didn't seem that "forced" or "lol wacky" to be entirely honest. Okay, so the grizzly, bearded guy wasn't growling about his job and being a bit sarcastic with the interviewers. So, Kimbal yells before he kicks a guy out of a window. So Sinclair smirks before shooting a guy. So fucking what? Seriously, it wasn't as nearly as bad as you're making it out to be.

I've been watching the old trailer a couple of times now. The only things that might seem like a bit much are, "headache level nine", the "do you serve breakfast line" and maybe the music choice, but aside from that, not much else.

Agayek:

Absolutionis:

You say that like it's even in question.

EA came down from on-high and said flat out that they wouldn't fund it unless it looked like gears of war and/or call of duty, because that's what they do. It's more than a little ridiculous at this point.

Insomniac is working with the EA Partners program, not EA itself. There is a difference.

Edit: More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EA_Partners#EA_Partners_Program

The EA Partners co-publishing arm is dedicated to publishing and distributing games developed by third-party developers. Notable publishing/distribution agreements include:

APB - Realtime Worlds
Brütal Legend - Double Fine Productions
Bulletstorm - Epic Games
Crysis series - Crytek
DeathSpank - Hothead Games
Fuse - Insomniac Games[53]
Hellgate: London - Flagship Studios
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - 38 Studios, Big Huge Games
Left 4 Dead series, The Orange Box, Portal 2 (retail release) - Valve
Rock Band series - Harmonix and MTV Games
The Secret World - Funcom[54]
Shadows of the Damned - Grasshopper Manufacture
Shank - Klei Entertainment
Warp - Trapdoor
Unconfirmed project - Respawn Entertainment - founded in April 2010, formed a partnership with ex Infinity Ward bosses Jason West and Vince Zampella.

I still find it amusing that people are willing to believe EA would greenlight the original trailer at their own E3 press conference and then demand Insomniac shift the tone to a more mature tone.

Like the preview says, the thing that will make or break this game is the story, similar to how Spec Ops: The Line is pretty much a conventional FPS game but really stands out with its story.

I only really remain interested in this game seeing as Insomniac is the developer, and their main studio hasn't released anything yet that I'd really consider bad outside of Resistance 2.

Here's what's going to happen.

The game has no press, and lost all the good will from us who LOVED the idea of Overstrike and was less than impressed by the Gears conforming. It's going to do poorly.

The designers are going to bitch that gamers didn't give it a chance because of the 'slight' style change.

Other Designers are going to use this as once again, proving that gamers don't want 'new' (even though we were happy with Overstrike because it was fun and not so fucking gritty as designers are seemed to be convinced we want nowadays... yeah, right, go look at Team Fortress 2 and get back at me)

And those Other Designers are going to mod more of their projects after what sold well. Meaning more clones of Gears, Call, Battlefield, and the like.

Will anything be able to get us out of this downward spiral?

captcha: 5 Dollar Shake. The downgrade of the Harlem Shake, everybody.

Absolutionis:
The campy/goofy Superagent style before gave it promise. It left room for guns, weaponry, and gadgets with unbelievable gimmicks that would be fun to use. So in an effort to avoid looking like TF2, they ended up looking like everything else.

Regardless, all the people that got interested in the game from the refreshing original trailer seem to be turned away. It'll fade into mediocrity.

EA are worryingly making blunder after blunder recently (worryingly for the number of jobs that will be lost and NOTHING ELSE) and they must stop (so that they don't result in honest employees losing their jobs).

ObsidianJones:
Here's what's going to happen.

The game has no press, and lost all the good will from us who LOVED the idea of Overstrike and was less than impressed by the Gears conforming. It's going to do poorly.

The designers are going to bitch that gamers didn't give it a chance because of the 'slight' style change.

Other Designers are going to use this as once again, proving that gamers don't want 'new' (even though we were happy with Overstrike because it was fun and not so fucking gritty as designers are seemed to be convinced we want nowadays... yeah, right, go look at Team Fortress 2 and get back at me)

And those Other Designers are going to mod more of their projects after what sold well. Meaning more clones of Gears, Call, Battlefield, and the like.

Will anything be able to get us out of this downward spiral?

captcha: 5 Dollar Shake. The downgrade of the Harlem Shake, everybody.

The issue is Market research is very double edged and is being done wrongly, if they did ANY market research then they would have discovered that the art style made it fresh and there would have been a fight on their hands to change it (if EA pulled the strings in this case). At the same time, there could have been the chance of some more zany and crazy weapons with the art style but now any zany weapons wouldn't look right.

EAs style of Market Research is 'how is the best way we can ram this down their throat of most people'. They really need to do more realistic market research, if they did then they wouold discover that they are losing customer's goodwill FAST.

I've been a massive fan of Insomniac since Spyro the Dragon, and they have built up a metric fuckton of goodwill with me The only game by them I didn't play much was Resistance 2, and I can't rent either of the other Resistance games, but I've loved all three of their Spyro games and every Ratchet and Clank game. Nothing will cause me to write this game off until I sit down and play it for myself.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here