Jimquisition: Why An Always-On DRM Console Would Be Dumb Dumb Dumb

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Why An Always-On DRM Console Would Be Dumb Dumb Dumb

Just talking about an "always-on" Xbox is a really dumb idea.

Watch Video

How long until there's a shiny new jim sterling 'deal with it' gif? XD

I'm almost tempted to get Twatter just so I can throw those words back in their faces.

Uratoh:

NOT SOON ENOUUUGGGH!!

Someone make it NOW!!!!

OT: Good episode. Anyone else worried about what would happen to games released on an always-on console when they were ported to other formats? Would an XBOX 720 title ported to PC, WiiU and PS4 affect people playing on these platforms simply because the original game had always-online DRM? Food for thought....

Are you referring to the same mobile market that EA will be converting to once it's finished squeezing Bioware dry? The bubble has already burst.

Uratoh:

gimme a minute :D

I bought the Xbox when it first came out and I am on my third Xbox 360. If microsoft pulls this always on DRM shit I won't be buying their new console. I will go to the indies or the mobile market and tell microsoft to both deal with it and suck it.

Agreed. On every level.

I have a pretty poor internet connection where I am and I'm not exactly in the middle of nowhere, I'm in the south of England, not much more than 70 miles from London itself. Yet my internet probably wouldn't sustain a strong connection all the time. It drops considerably low between 5pm and midnight, which is my normal gaming time.

Needless to say, PS3 updates take FOREVER and most times I'll avoid using that particular console simply for that reason. If there's an always on DRM console released, you can be sure I won't buy it based simply on those grounds.

When will the publishers learn, if you make quality products, we will GIVE you our money. You don't have to keep trying to TAKE it from us! If you make worthwhile consoles and games to keep console gaming alive, you will ensure profits for years to comes. If you make restrictive consoles to wring the last pennies out of console gaming's pension fund before it croaks, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!

I think the reason they have that kind of attitude is because they are banking on sales from the kind of people who will buy the console because it's all shiny and new rather than for any other reason. There are some people who have to have the current generation, regardless of how good or bad it is.

I can't see why else they could have such a dismissive attitude towards their customers, especially considering that selling 3 million copies of a game is considered "below expectations". If games were still being made cheap, then perhaps they could get away with that kind of attitude, but considering how much money they are losing, even when games are selling well, you'd think trying to please people would be a much better idea than trying to siphon money off of them any way that you can.

As for the always online. I honestly cannot see the logic behind it. We are not yet in a world where reliable fast broadband is widespread enough for this kind of usage. In five to ten years, I'd imagine this idea could work, but right now we simply are not ready for it. So why are they so insistent? I cannot see the advantage for them.

Best. Ending. EVER!

You know, I am a big fan of the Xbox. And I like Microsoft (or I guess, I have liked Microsoft). But if this comes to pass, I can not support it. I like playing Halo, but I don't like playing it that much. Forcing their Windows 8 based dashboard at me was bad enough. Going an online only route would be a nail in the coffin.

I honestly hope that when the next Xbox is announced that they show some foresight. And hopefully some self awareness that LIVE GOLD is no longer the value it once was. Staying the course isn't even the right way to go for the next Xbox, and taking it farther into stormy waters, to continue the metaphor, will likely sink that ship. And it's a ship I'd rather not see go down all things considered.

Hopefully these are just rumors and it'll turn out to be a silly internet conspiracy theory. Hopefully.

WaitWHAT:

Uratoh:

NOT SOON ENOUUUGGGH!!

Someone make it NOW!!!!

OT: Good episode. Anyone else worried about what would happen to games released on an always-on console when they were ported to other formats? Would an XBOX 720 title ported to PC, WiiU and PS4 affect people playing on these platforms simply because the original game had always-online DRM? Food for thought....

If they make it so that you canīt login on your xbox profile, and therefore canīt acces the menues, when you are offline, then it wouldnīt affect the games.

Iīm wondering what the benefits would be, what about this idea is supposed to make the consumers go: "That sounds great!". I have a nagging feeling that they just want to make everything worse for everybody, just so they can get even more control... If it happens, iīm not buying, just as i never buy any other game that requires an online connection. The thing is, if they did this, at some point there would be problems, there will always be problems with always online, but there wonīt be any benefits... So why do it?

Personally i would prefer a conosle that was only capable of accesing a store online, the rest should be offline. I donīt want all kinds of silly social features in my gaming.

If the rumor is true, Microsoft, I'm not buying your console. Deal with it.

I think I speak for all of us when I say,

Now we just need to learn to be proactive with our money. Right now.

That last minute was immaculate. The conceit we're being shown is unconscionable. I'm almost looking forward to some big crash (I'm getting too old for hardcore gaming anyways), and seeing what rises from the ashes.

I'll disagree with Kevin Dent here too https://kevin-dent.squarespace.com/blog/2013/4/5/in-the-world-2929
however, I will agree with him & Manveer Heir that the Orth is not deserving the bile he's receiving.

From my bigoted perspective, this vitriol filled reaction to perceived threats (especially anti-feminist ones) is to be expected from our latchkey generation with many of its "young men" staying teenage boys into perpetuity.

It's about time to start suing developers for imposing always-on DRM and failing to sustain the conditions for it. It's an obvious breach of contract, because the obligee (ze publisher) is denying a service, for which the customer has paid. Imagine buying milk from the store, paying for it and getting just the plastic jug without milk in it, because the cows aren't able to produce milk right now. It's exactly the same.

What I'm trying to say is that it's a legal issue. This is not a debate. People need to turn to court otherwise this bullshit will continue in the future.

And that's how the Ouya will outsell the next Xbox. Deal with it.

MS needs to realise that it produces a luxury item. As much as gamers are willing to put up with shit to play their favourite games, we all realise that we don't really need to play them. These are things we fill our time with to entertain us. Comparing it to things like phones and vacuum cleaners is ridiculous. Those things are necessary items. We put up with problems with them because the need for them will not go away. If the electricity goes out or the mobile network doesn't cover wherever we happen to be, we wait until those services return and attempt again.

If crappy servers go down just that one time too many, we won't wait any more. We'll go buy a PS4 instead. Or maybe we'll get a PC, or even watch a movie or read a book. Whatever example you can think of. But if your luxury product doesn't work exactly when it is convenient for us, then don't expect our patience to last very long. You can't demand that we "deal with it", you need to deal with us. If you're not fulfilling our requirements, then we're not going to give you our money. Simple as that. You need to work around our demands, not the other way around.

The stupidest thing about all this is that our demands aren't even that complicated. We don't really care about all this fancy gimmicky shit. We just want a machines which has sufficient power to run games, and for those games to be fun. Maybe a few online features as well, like online play and download services. We'll gladly give you money for that. Instead you'd rather overcomplicate everything, treat us like criminals right from the word go, and try to squeeze as much money out of us at every single possible opportunity.

I do find it very hard to believe MS would cut out so much of their current users but then again, how much do they really make off gamers who just buy the console and never pay for the online service? If they were going to be total looters, they might not care about losing those customers.
The only question is are they overestimating how much their hardcore fans will put up with? These fans already have put up with a defective console, pay for online that went up in price, and loads of advertising to go with that. It's all these factors that have kept me from buying a 360 this whole gen and honestly it really shouldn't have sold as well as it did.

Yeah I'm feeling more and more that PC is the way to go, particularly as open source things gain more steam(pun intended) and microsoft slowly loses it's grip on the operating system market.

I really hope we can see linux distributions start to spread more effectively and become more universally compatible and user friendly. It is reaching a point where windows is only really around because people need office...

It's all about control for companies like microsoft but they dont realise that the harder they grip, the farther their market slips away.

This is exactly the episode I was hoping to see today.

Uratoh:

I need this immediately.

OT:
One of the best episodes yet, Jim.

I hope at least one executive watches your show.

And this is why I'm pretty much done with the Console market, what games I do want to play are 99% of the time out on PC or for my Tablet, I don't care about the Madden X Year games or the FPS CODBFOMGWFTBBQ that's released every year. The 3 most anticipated games for me coming out within the next year and a half are all games I backed on Kickstarter. Also, I'd rather spend 500.00 on a middle range Mobo/CPU/RAM then I would on a console, because chances are that will be as powerful as the next gen console, case in point Nov 2011 I have to replace my mobo/cpu/ram and it cost me just over 500.00 and I can run pretty much any game at high/very high graphics settings, as it is my PS3 is basically a media streaming box.

So TL;DR I agree Consoles are dying and indie/mobile-tablet/computer are still going strong, and I couldn't be happier.

I'm glad Jim's brought up the Gamestop point I've been making for like four years now. Maybe people will actually stop fighting it around these parts.

Not to mention the point about the infrastructure in the US.

In fact...Jim, are you stalking me?

Captcha: I love you.

Yes, I do, but I suspect we will never be more than just friends.

Why is always on-line for consols detrimental, but always online via Steam exempt from scrutiny?

I'm not asking this to be contrarian or witty, I'm generally curious. Mainly because the only two PC games I play are WoW and LoL, both on an 5 year old iMac. So I'm a bit out of the loop.

I agree. I know for the past month and a half I haven't been able to fully enjoy my always online games since my ISP has been having issues outside of my control (and perhaps theirs, IDK), but it has been severely hampering my experience.

I can tell you if they do make an always online console, I won't touch it. Most of the games I play now that require it have valid reasons, but if a console were too... screw that...

I still remember I had my console for two years before I finally got it online, I wouldn't have ever bought it if I couldn't play Fallout 3 offline.

The reason I played with the console offline for so long was because online play was considered a secondary feature to me and as long as I could rent and play my games why bother?

I truly enjoyed Halo 3 singleplayer and never even touched gears of war 2's multiplayer.

So Microsoft what about me?

This is why I don't worry about my refusal to buy anything with always on drm. AAA gaming may be collapsing (I honestly have no idea) but my options have never been better. I could spend years playing catch up with all of the games from this console generation I haven't gotten to yet. And, as Jim points out, mobile gaming will always have something for me and GOG.com has attached a slow drip tap to my wallet which ensures that I won't run out of games that I know my computer can run.

I remember the video game crash of the 80's. Simlarly, consoles (Atari, Intellivision, Colecovision, etc.) were having a hard time of it. Historically, it's treated as a huge catastrophy but between arcades and computer games I never had a lack of video games to play at the time. The AAA game industry has told me time and time again that they don't care about me or what I think to which I say, "Same to you."

Great and timely video. The rumors, while hopefully false, are a scary thing indeed.

I really hope these companies get their act together. The consoles failing mean even good development companies get screwed out of deserved profit.

TheSteeleStrap:
This is exactly the episode I was hoping to see today.

you and me both. it was an interesting episode.

i loved the thoughtful image of jim at the start. future propaganda poster of our great leader?

Nicely done video Jim.

I almost find it sad that I enjoy watching these companies not to spiral down to a horrible crash equally as much as I enjoy playing their products. If that isn't a sign of You're doing it wrong I don't know what is.

Scrustle:
MS needs to realise that it produces a luxury item. As much as gamers are willing to put up with shit to play their favourite games, we all realise that we don't really need to play them. These are things we fill our time with to entertain us. Comparing it to things like phones and vacuum cleaners is ridiculous. Those things are necessary items. We put up with problems with them because the need for them will not go away. If the electricity goes out or the mobile network doesn't cover wherever we happen to be, we wait until those services return and attempt again.

If crappy servers go down just that one time too many, we won't wait any more. We'll go buy a PS4 instead. Or maybe we'll get a PC, or even watch a movie or read a book. Whatever example you can think of. But if your luxury product doesn't work exactly when it is convenient for us, then don't expect our patience to last very long. You can't demand that we "deal with it", you need to deal with us. If you're not fulfilling our requirements, then we're not going to give you our money. Simple as that. You need to work around our demands, not the other way around.

The stupidest thing about all this is that our demands aren't even that complicated. We don't really care about all this fancy gimmicky shit. We just want a machines which has sufficient power to run games, and for those games to be fun. Maybe a few online features as well, like online play and download services. We'll gladly give you money for that. Instead you'd rather overcomplicate everything, treat us like criminals right from the word go, and try to squeeze as much money out of us at every single possible opportunity.

Wow. That was brilliantly put actually. Top marks, good sir!

Azriel Nightshade:
Why is always on-line for consols detrimental, but always online via Steam exempt from scrutiny?

I'm not asking this to be contrarian or witty, I'm generally curious. Mainly because the only two PC games I play are WoW and LoL, both on an 5 year old iMac. So I'm a bit out of the loop.

Steam has an offline mode, which usually works (I know I've had issues with it on occasion) and lets you play your games without the connection. If it didn't, I don't think people would be happy with it at all.

Legion:
I think the reason they have that kind of attitude is because they are banking on sales from the kind of people who will buy the console because it's all shiny and new rather than for any other reason.

If you're talking about douchetagdealwithit, I think it's more the fact that people don't understand the repercussions of social media. As Nash said, there will come a time where we are intimately familiar with the size, shape and colour of our President's genitals (because they tweeted them 30 years ago).

Then again, the gaming industry seems to be behind the ball on a lot of things, too.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here