Zero Punctuation: BioShock: Infinite

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

BioShock: Infinite

This week, Zero Punctuation review BioShock: Infinite.

Watch Video

I just beat this so I'm glad it got reviewed.

I'm not watching it yet, but I'm going to guess he likes it.

EDIT: Yep, he loves it.

The gameplay feels lacking compared to the previous games, but the art style and storytelling was fantastic.

Thank you for no real spoilers

Yeah, I never got that. Why give away Vigors that essentially allow you to incinerate anything you touch *for free*? Bioshock 1 had a reason. Fontaine probably left them and the whole city had gone to shits.

In before someone sarcastically exclaims "Yahtzee likes a game? How can this be??" as if they're the first to do such a thing.

I've been up a lot of arses in my time, so if you're gonna be stuck up an arse, Bioshock Infinite is the best possible arse to be stuck in.

I'm kinda surprised he liked it since we are starting to get people who are ragging on it for all the perfect reviews it got when it came out.

"Don't you mean second sequel, Yahtzee?"
"GET OUT."

Fucking hilarious

I think I also missed the significance of the 4 gay blokes.

Well, time for a replay...

he touched on the one real point that bothered me about the game,
namely, that the Vigors aren't as well connected to the narretive as the plasmids were in Bioshock.
all the same though, I'm surprised how positive the review was.

ShermTank7272:
"Don't you mean second sequel, Yahtzee?"
"GET OUT."

Fucking hilarious

That was by far my favorite part of the review... because, honestly, Bioshock 2 can burn in the darkest pits of the Underworld. Or, more accurately, I liked it when it was called 'Bioshock'.

Okay Levine, next shock game I wanna play as Errol Flynn, and don't give me that bull about appealing to a wider audience, I WANNA BE THE FLYNN!

Bioshock Infinite is my favourite game of this generation. Hands down, no competition. And considering how little time is left of this generation, apparently, it's going to take a real whopper of a game to snatch that title from Infinite.

I agree, for being in an arse, Infinite's arse was a fine one to be in.

Arse Of The Year so far

Yes, Olivia Coleman! I knew she reminded me of someone in that picture, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it until now. Thank you, Yahtzee.

Q: Why was Elizabeth locked up in the statue?
A: Because last time she got out, the cops had to book her for...

*puts on sunglasses*

... vigorous ass salt.

I am glad I didn't place a bet on this. I was expecting an extreme level of nitpicking. Instead what I got was a lot of pictures of arses. I guess that's better?

TopazFusion:
I think I also missed the significance of the 4 gay blokes.

Well, time for a replay...

It is great when you go back and see the significance of things, for example the first conversation in the boat takes on a whole new light when you have finished the game.

He isn't kidding about the shitty final level syndrome. I spent 3 hours playing the same 15 - 20 minutes until I knew every single scripted event that happened like clockwork, because that was just about the only way to finish it.

It almost soured my opinion of the entire game, just because of the lack of reward beyond the ending, with no more levels to complete. Going back to earlier in the game with hopes to understand the ending helped my feelings on it though.

I read the ending as "Yahtzee walks away, demoralized, because he actually liked this game. He conjures up a giant lemon/rift and pulls out some booze to drink away his sorrows. Oh, look out! Butt Lemon/Rift!"

minimacker:
Yeah, I never got that. Why give away Vigors that essentially allow you to incinerate anything you touch *for free*? Bioshock 1 had a reason. Fontaine probably left them and the whole city had gone to shits.

They gave away mostly samples in the start of the game. Still, why would someone give away a vigor that makes you essentially a technomancer (in public no less) is anyones guess. Perhaps they were just so fucking looney that it just didn't bother them. Maybe it's a sort of early 1910's mentality, where it's acceptable to sell water laced with Radium. Try that today and psychopaths would cue up to have their chance to build a dirty bomb.

Daystar Clarion:
I've been up a lot of arses in my time, so if you're gonna be stuck up an arse, Bioshock Infinite is the best possible arse to be in.

It's hairless, soft, warm and deep. A truly memorable bum.

So it's ok to like the game and liking it doesn't make you not knowledgeable? Good. I mean come on, if you want to like something you should have the right to like it.

DVS BSTrD:
Q: Why was Elizabeth locked up in the statue?
A: Because last time she got out, the cops had to book her for...

*puts on sunglasses*

... vigorous ass salt.

Let's just hope she doesn't Do it Again!

I've been waiting for this review for a while. Thankfully, I just finished the game yesterday, so I understand everything perfectly.

Also, while I'm glad he didn't spoil anything, I could definitely tell when he was referring to certain plot twists, but honestly I would have never understood them unless I beat the game anyway.

Great review!

"Maybe they fell out of a reality rift to the convenience dimension."

Good guess, Yahtzee. That dimension would be Rapture. There are hints throughout the game that much of the technology and possibly even culture of Columbia had its roots in a portal to Rapture. The Songbird is the most obvious of these, being basically a godzilla-sized big daddy that one of the audio-logs makes clear was inspired by convenience dimension technology. Vigors are literally plasmids from Rapture re-named.

So this week, Yahtzee launches a barrage of butt related comparisons...a series of ANALogies, one might say.

I didn't play through Bioshock 1 myself until 2010, and I'm not in any hurry to play Bioshock: Infinite either.
Which isn't to say Bioshock 1 wasn't good (it's one of the best games of the "current" console generation), it's just that if I'm going to play something overtly pretentious and hyped, I prefer to wait until the hype dies down.

dennett316:
In before someone sarcastically exclaims "Yahtzee likes a game? How can this be??" as if they're the first to do such a thing.

Or like it's the first time it's happened.

Daystar Clarion:
I've been up a lot of arses in my time, so if you're gonna be stuck up an arse, Bioshock Infinite is the best possible arse to be stuck in.

*opens mouth*

*closes it again*

It's like...It's like the potential number of jokes overwhelmed my brain and shut it down! I don't know what to say.

Well played, sir.

Summary: Yahtzee likes butt stuff.

This really surprised me. Game was great and all, but was expecting Yahtzee do to his usual thing of just nit picking harder then ever to find things to crack jokes about and spend half the review complaining about the two weapon limitation. Game must of really hit a cord with him.

Also thank you for voicing my one major complaint with Infinite which is that the Vigors are tragically unrelated to the plot. In the first game plasmids are used to reinforce one of the central ideas, (That a risk to extremist objectivism is that people can be remarkable short sighted.) In Infinite the Vigors are just sort of there and feel more like an addition because it was a Bioshock game, rather than because they really belonged.

The lack of explanation regarding the existence of vigors really bugged me. Why are they there? How are they made? What's up with these salts? Why doesn't everybody use them if they're apparently freely available? Why are they freely available in the first place? And, most importantly, how do they not make any kind of impact on the society whatsoever?

The moment you get the first vigor is probably the strangest one. You have this festival or whatever and a woman is standing there with a basket full of possession vigors who is all like "Hi everyone, who wants to rob vending machines and make people commit suicide? There's enough for everybody!"

Not even a word on Elizabeth? I'm dissapoint :(

Zachary Amaranth:

dennett316:

Or like it's the first time it's happened.

Daystar Clarion:

*opens mouth*

*closes it again*

It's like...It's like the potential number of jokes overwhelmed my brain and shut it down! I don't know what to say.

Well played, sir.

I demand a fan art of Okami sniffing Elizabeth's ass!

Okay I'm going to get this game. It seems that I have to.

Loved the "Get Out" part.

Quite a positive review, which is well deserved. I really liked the game myself.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here