No Right Answer: Greatest Disappointment in Hollywood Ever

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Greatest Disappointment in Hollywood Ever

Young, talented actors and actresses get our collective hopes up for a long and positive relationship. Which actor crushed those hopes the hardest?

Watch Video

There really wasn't any contest there. The only one I can think of who crashed harder than Lindsey Lohan would be Britney Spears, but she's not really Hollywood.

Because Hollywood has of course only existed for one decade. =)

What? Shia whatever didnt fail at his career, its just obvious that after being in some high tier movies doing always the exact same role it will eventually have to slow down and do something different. His last movie was that one about the booze and he did play a better role then clumsy teenager, just because he isnt the shining star doesnt mean he is a disappointment.

Lindsay Lohan on the other hand... Yeah...

Depends.

Lindsey Lohan could just stop the substance abuse, survive and become a great star. Shabalabaƒƒ seems to suffer from inflated ego syndrome and unwarranted self importance. I hear there's still no cure for that.

Even TMZ is sick of Lindsy Lohan
At least when they cover Lebeef's shenanigans, they don't use a mugshot
Kyle you left out his first staring role in Holes.

For some reason, I can't stop imagining what Anne Hathaway would look like in an iron man suit.

I never thought Shia lebuf (whatever) was ever loved, he has always been the worst part of whatever he was in. He sure as hell was the worst part of transformers.

Chris jumped on the winning answer and won. Shia hasn't really fell so much as he sort of staggered to where he is right now. He hadn't ever really established himself as a serious adult actor and is always in this half state of being the young one and trying to do a professional job

This would easily be won by M. Night Shyamalan.

Drazi:

It was quite the surprise (dare I say a twist?) that he wasn't considered. But I suppose you could do a separate one of these on disappointing directors. Shyamalan vs. Kevin Smith, anyone?

4:54 DANG! Bay and Alec Baldwin both hate him. Oh snap! Crackle pop! (I'm so sorry. I have no idea where that came from. LOL) That's bad. That's like having Satan spit out of Hell, walking up t6o his arch rival saying," You can have him, I don't want him. " Holy crap. 6:02 Aye. It's like warm Chicken noodle soup for the soul. XD

Lindsey Lohan is probably the biggest train wreck in Hollywood.
Shia hasn't really fell so much but is suffering from his massive ego.

Next week are you guys going to do Orth vs. Pitchford?

For once, I'm entirely fine with Chris winning one. When insurance companies are saying they won't cover your work on a dare...

Aside from having ruined her own reputation, the things Lohan has done seem to be taking a toll on her physically. She looks like a train wreck, and if there's one thing Hollywood doesn't have patience for, its an ingenue who looks like she's packed forty years of hard living into twenty-six. I'm sorry, I know that's superficial, but it's a superficial business.

The thing is, though, I somehow still feel bad for her. Heck with "Drama Queen"; I remember her in the remake of The Parent Trap. At one point, she seemed to have talent and beauty and maybe even a certain amount of intelligence, and the world was at her fingertips. Then it seemed she started hanging out with people without those qualities and got sucked down to their level.

Part of me would still like to see her make a comeback; it would be truly astonishing if she could pull it off. But I'm with the insurance companies- no way would I take that bet.

Kekkonen1:
Because Hollywood has of course only existed for one decade. =)

...What, you want to start discussing Fatty Arbuckle? Not exactly the venue, is it?

Worgen:
I never thought Shia lebuf (whatever) was ever loved, he has always been the worst part of whatever he was in. He sure as hell was the worst part of transformers.

Are his antics off-screen as horrible as Lohan's? I enjoyed him in Even Stevens, even though I was surprised how he popped out of nowhere years later to star in one blockbuster after the other. I enjoyed him again in all of his movies(especially Disturbia) and contrary to popular belief, he was not the worst part of Crystal Skull. Did he murder someone and get away it or is it simply the whole jealousy thing again?

For the next episode how about...

Greatest comeback or greatest turn-around between Drew Barrymore Vs Robert Downy Jr.

Both these two have similar backgrounds, they both fell hard, they were both a the edge of the abyss and they both managed rebuild their lives and become respected members of society.

Headdrivehardscrew:
Depends.

Lindsey Lohan could just stop the substance abuse, survive and become a great star. Shabalabaƒƒ seems to suffer from inflated ego syndrome and unwarranted self importance. I hear there's still no cure for that.

I also have to go with Shia Labeouf on this one.

Yes, Lindsay Lohan is a trainwreck, but if she cleans up and pays he due, she can get back..

Shia Labeouf will be (if he isn't already) only be remembered as the kid who played Louis Stevens and the Pissed all the talent away by being a duch..

On a sidenote: How the hell do you piss off Michael Bay?? He seems like a pretty easy guy to please.
- "Yes, mr. Bay I too like Guns, lens flare and big explosions!"
BOOM best friends forever!

not much of a competition here .... pretty hard to get near the same level as Lohan with out a dedicated effort

Can anyone please explain who the drinking round works? I've watched the show for years but still haven't figured it out.

As far as personal life goes, it's hard to match up with Lindsay here. I was never a huge Shia fan, but I feel like he's kept up pretty well, still doing movies and not going into rehab every other week.

Really, Lindsay has set the bar quite...well it depends how you look at it. For her own sake I hope she can get out of his tailspin.

Lohan is way worse with the amount of bad publicity and the fact that she looks terrible and acts like she's entitled to the world there's no way she's coming back, I can see where people would say Labeouf is worse off but even if he is a headache to work with and pretentious to boot, he can be a decent actor when he tries and is in a good movie that plays to his strengths.

Robert Downey Jr. came back because his wife stayed by him while he recovered and Mel Gibson payed his insurance so he could work again, Lohan doesn't have a spouse or friends that would be willing or even able to help her, all Labeouf has to do is realize he should be a bit more humble and stop trying to be recognized as this generations actor because it never happens to the people who believe they are.

I don't know how this round played out. It turned into more into "Biggest Career Crash" rather than "Greatest Disappointment".

purifico:
Can anyone please explain who the drinking round works? I've watched the show for years but still haven't figured it out.

If he laughs during the drinking round, he's disqualified; here's an example: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/no-right-answer/4946-Best-Comic-Book-Billionaire-Ever

Unlike most people, I do not feel delight and joy from the news of promising young careers crashing and burning, only pity.
And did I see War of the Worlds on the shelf behind you guys? Are you trying to tell us something about Dakota Fanning?

If Shia didn't always play the same character in everything he is in, he would be tolerable.

My choice is a certain actress in her teenage years and now makes videos about videogames on internet. Whoever she may be..

hmmm..... >:)

Re-do best western.

The fact that Back to the Future III was chosen as a contender over The Good the Bad and the Ugly is just unacceptable. I mean I like back to the future III but calling it a western is kind of a stretch.

Urh:

Drazi:

It was quite the surprise (dare I say a twist?) that he wasn't considered. But I suppose you could do a separate one of these on disappointing directors. Shyamalan vs. Kevin Smith, anyone?

I agree, with directors it is far less forgiveable to waste all that potential, being that they are in a position of relative power and security, with greater freedom to choose their projects and make executive decisions. Actors on the other hand...

The thing is, most young stars end up going down the tubes because they (or rather, their agents) pick movies which fail to give them decent enough roles to sell them to future movie projects. It usually takes far more than drugs to ruin a star's career; it takes a few lousy film roles, type-casting towards an unsustainable role (typically a child/teenager), and a run of bad luck to keep you out of the limelight long enough to lose whatever young potential you had. Child actor syndrome. That's usually the reason why their drug scandals get out: with nothing left to provide them with attention or work, they might as well fritter themselves away on the unsupervised parties and prostitution they now have all that time for.

I hate Anne Hathaway...she seems like the biggest stuck-up bitch.

pearcinator:

I'm pretty sure this is the wrong thread...

OT: Lohan can't disappoint when the best she's ever done is Disney class movies.

It's very hard to look at Lindsay Lohan now. Back when she did Mean Girls she was a beautiful young lady. The physical transformation she's undergone in the last few years is as fascinating (from a dangers of drugs point-of-view) as it is truly shocking and awful.

I hope that something good can come from this, which is that she acts as a potent warning to other young actors out there about the dangers of fame. She's not the first to crash and burn - Macaulay Culkin is another example. Kyle could so easily have picked Michael Jackson if the topic had been about celebrities in general.

Huh, well I guess it's impossible to really be disappointed in Shia when everyone always expected him to be an annoying douche anyway.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

pearcinator:

I'm pretty sure this is the wrong thread...

No...they mentioned Anne Hathaway as a role model. They also mentioned Robert Downey Jr. but I like RDJ. Anne Hathaway on the other hand tries to steal the spotlight in all of her movies (when she's not the main character). She pissed me off in Dark Knight Rises because she thought she was so good. Batman would kick her arse any day of the week.

[accidental double post]

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or