Escape to the Movies: 42

Pages 1 2 NEXT

MovieBob hits for the cycle in this week's review of 42.

Watch Video

1. Why was the link to the video broken in the beginning?
2. Y0u could have done Oblivion, seeing as it's made by the same guy that brought us TRON: Legacy and features Tom Cruise as himself and Morgan Freeman as a guy who narrates stuff. Also, it looks completely awesome, with great visuals and a good soundtrack/score.
(or did that not open in the states?)

*sees the snippet about Bank of America*

Wait...WHAT?!? No wonder BoA is having problems right now! Their advertisers are phenominal MORONS!

Up at 12:00 my ass.

OT:Meh, I'll just rewatch Remember the Titans.
That's a fitting advertisement: It gives them until the end credits before you check your account and see they've lost all your money.

Calibanbutcher:

Not until the 19th, I think.

I really don't like sports movies, they always seem to portray the ideas behind competing wrong to me. Eyeshield 21 is the only sports series I can say I enjoyed, how you win is important but win you MUST!
EDIT: Last pic was way to big.

I was expecting you to review a doctor who episode.

Calibanbutcher:
1. Why was the link to the video broken in the beginning?
2. Y0u could have done Oblivion, seeing as it's made by the same guy that brought us TRON: Legacy and features Tom Cruise as himself and Morgan Freeman as a guy who narrates stuff. Also, it looks completely awesome, with great visuals and a good soundtrack/score.

Oblivion opens in the US next week.

Back on 42. Wow, i didn't recognize Harrison Ford at all.

Advocating cell phone use in a movie theater is a type of evil I just cannot comprehend. Just proves that EA's win of worst company was ill-deserved.

I mean seriously, if you use your cell phone in a movie theater during a movie, you are an asshole. And showing how awesome it is in a commercial... why that makes you the biggest asshole of them all.

Even in this short clip, we see the subtle genius of Harrison Ford.

The man is an uncanny character actor who disappears into his role, the exceptions being the ones where he was showcased as the handsome protagonist (Indiana Jones, Jack Ryan) but that's no fault of his.

A film icon (I embarrassingly have forgotten exactly who) once said that the way in which Ford is so good at his craft, is that he appears to be just playing himself, despite being in a wide range of roles. In an industry other than acting that would be called "making it look effortless".

Considering Trance and The Place Beyond The Pines both opened in my neck of the woods I'll be seeing those.

It makes me sad that Scary Movie 5 exists. I honestly thought this period in film history was over.

It's official. Bank of America is the new form of the Great Satan.

With that title, there is got to be a Hitchhiker Guide to the Galaxy joke worth doing around here...

plugav:
It makes me sad that Scary Movie 5 exists. I honestly thought this period in film history was over.

So did most everyone.

Also, I didnt see the BoA commercial, but it does actually say they dont advocate doing so, right?

*looks up on youtube*

Huh... cant find it...

Seems Bank of America is bitter about losing the Golden Poo to EA for the second time in a row, and are taking it out on moviegoers.

plugav:

it is never going to end. Scary movie was just funny enough to be just popular enough to make that type of parody a genre in and of itself as long as the genre it's parodying keeps getting made. Scary movies(genre) keep coming out we'll keep getting scary movies(shitty comedic films). i'm surprised Superheros movies haven't got more treatment like this.

OT; I might go see this movie just because i don't really know a whole lot about Jackie Robinson and i really like baseball movies. I know he was the player that broke the color barrier, i know he was really good at baseball and i know his number was 42, beyond that i don't know a whole lot and have never looked at his Wikipedia page. I would like to know if the movie ever touches on anything else. I mean Harrison Ford looks like he's really working that role and i know nothing about the manager of the dodgers at the time so it may be worth seeing for that.

Any chance we're going to hear Bob's opinion on the Host?

hermes200:
With that title, there is got to be a Hitchhiker Guide to the Galaxy joke worth doing around here...

I'm not sure what you're asking for here... but at least we know the answer.

OT: Yeah, I'm not interested. Sports movies in general don't interest me and I know what I want to know about the struggle for rights in that time period.

WanderingFool:

plugav:

So did most everyone.

Also, I didnt see the BoA commercial, but it does actually say they dont advocate doing so, right?

*looks up on youtube*

Huh... cant find it...

Neither could Bob. Apparently BoA has been going rampant on the DMCA teardowns regarding it.

Off Topic: Ugh, Can we PLEASE shut up about the Brad Paisley song? Yes, it was very clumsy and as a Paisley fan, not one of his better songs, but it is being SO BADLY OVERHYPED that its not even funny even more. Although, it must be good to be Brad right now. "Wheelhouse" in general and "Accidental Racist" in particular are selling like crazy from all this hype. (and notice, the country music scene is standing behind Brad and everyone gets EXACTLY what he meant. Its only non-country people who dont get it, it seems).

On Topic: Guess I will just Wait to see 42 then.

In regards to that Elysium trailer at the end...anyone think that's a little too on the nose? It's obviously evocative of the 99% thing recently, but just seems like it's taking it to an almost ludicrous extreme (see Soylent Green for a case that I think did a better and more nuanced version of a similar theme). That being said though, it's still a Neil Blomkamp movie with awesome looking effects, so I'm probably still on board. I'm just worried it's going to be a one-note message movie, rather than something actually interesting and exciting.

I feel exactly the same way about Tomb Raider. I thought it was phenomenal overall, but every time Lara cried "SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM!" I couldn't help but burst out laughing.

Also... BoA, wat r u doin?

Grenge Di Origin, 4/9/13:
Okay, if Bob starts cheap-assing his videos by taking long as @#$% to get to the actual subject matter, noticeably slowing down his talking, and saying "last time I blah blah blah and here we're gonna talk about blah blah blah" that conspicuously artificially extends the video time...

I mean, maybe it's because you have so little to say for such a seemingly formulaic film, but at the same time. You get paid for this. You make a job out of this. Do your damn job right.

Also, who the hell cares that there's a TV ad promoting the use of a smartphone IN a theater? We all know the rules, you turn the damn phone off when the movie starts. I don't get it, do people get out their cell phones in his theater or something? :|

Nothing of note coming out? To the Wonder is out, Beyond the Pines is out. Don't give me that, Bob. Skip these popcorn-munching completely mediocre blah movies and review something good instead

"Hmm it says the film starts at 11.00" buys ticket and goes and sits down 20 mins of adverts, 10 mins of trailers checks watch it's 11.30 film hasn't started yet "WHAT THE FUCK YOU BASTARDS!"

yeah I use my phone in movie theaters all the time.

For the record, Jackie Robinson was NOT the first African American baseball player. They were fairly common in the mid-1800's before the major baseball organizations decided to make a rule against it. He's technically not even the first to sign a contract after the rule was made, as another man pretending to be Native American signed on before him, but never had a chance to play. His contribution as the first to play post-segregation is still just as important to history, but misconceptions like that bother me. Give the other guys SOME credit.

Using your phone to do so much...
I have a bloody tracfone, thats all I need to get my business done.

uh huh ...

so Bob is another one of those people who are up in arms about 'Accidental Racist'? That's rather disappointing. I thought better of him then that.

All these other posts suggesting you review another movie and not a single person asking you to review Jurassic Park 3D. Eh eh? How was Jurassic Park 3D? Because it's the same movie as before, but it's 3D now!

person427:
For the record, Jackie Robinson was NOT the first African American baseball player. They were fairly common in the mid-1800's before the major baseball organizations decided to make a rule against it. He's technically not even the first to sign a contract after the rule was made, as another man pretending to be Native American signed on before him, but never had a chance to play. His contribution as the first to play post-segregation is still just as important to history, but misconceptions like that bother me. Give the other guys SOME credit.

The whole situation is just a shame for a lot of other players who never get any recognition. Yes, Jackie Robinson was the first black man to break the no-colored line, but he was joined 3 months later by Larry Doby who jumped straight from the Negro Leagues to the Majors.

And everyone always forgets that a lot of black players were disappointed and a little resentful of Jackie at the time, since they didn't believe he was the best black ball player. They thought Josh Gibson (called the Black Babe Ruth) deserved a chance, or Satchel Paige.

As for the film itself, it wasn't too bad, but I thought it was a little too heavy handed and corny about certain things. Like the whole father-son thing at the Cincinnati game, that had me rolling my eyes

hey i like paisly and cools message that there should be more love and forgiveness and less "remember to feel bad about your collective past and grow bitter" tho to be fair ive only read the lyrics i cant seem to find the song or a music video oddly enough. just people talking about it.

DisRuptive1:

I think he already gave his $0.02 on it in one of his Intermission columns. And did Bob just say the movie with the most substance this year so far is Spring Breakers?

DisRuptive1:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/moviebob/10260-Host-Haste

OT: Sounds boring to me, but I thank you for including that screenshot of the pack and reminding me I've been meaning to re-watch gargoyles for some time.

well no one made a hitchikers guide joke... im dissapointed

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or