Lost Planet: WTF/LOL

Lost Planet: WTF/LOL

In Lost Planet I was hoping to find something special and unique. Something worthy of the Xbox 360's technical prowess and Capcom's stature as a gaming powerhouse. I was looking for a blend of East meets West; a Japanese game for a Western audience (as the advertorials suggested); and a thrilling story into which I could lose myself over the course of a long weekend. I was, in other words, looking for my next "great game." I found it, but as usual with Capcom games, the good was mixed with a significant amount of bad.

Your comments do a great job of summarizing my own view of Lost Planet, especially the knockdown extravaganzas, normally referred to as boss fights. What I found interesting in my experience with Lost Planet was that I didn't realize how much I had enjoyed the game until I had finished it. While I dealt with some extremely frustrating sections, I found myself steadily plowing through the "story". The following hours I spent with multiplayer sealed the deal.

Personally, I quite liked the boss levels in the original. When I first played it, it was the first 3rd person shooter I'd actually played since Star Wars Battlefront, and I found it thoroughly enjoyable, but there were always some niggling bits that I didn't like. You pinned them down perfectly here, so I'm a little saddened to see that some of the gameplay factors that made the original a good game rather than a great game are still present. The boss fights surprsingly were pretty easy for me, although I wasn't exactly keen on the whole 'stagger' thing when attacked. That made some parts, such as when you first meet and fight Basil, extremely tough to do (I remember a significant amount of trouble fighting her first time around). Hopefully by the time the full version of Lost Planet 2 is released, these gameplay issues will have been fixed. Sadly, as so often happens with Capcom's games, I doubt this will be the case. Still, at least it looks like it'll shape up to still be a good game. It's just a shame Capcom so often fail to realise the potential of their good games and fail to see how they could possibly make them 'great'.

Trivun:
Personally, I quite liked the boss levels in the original. When I first played it, it was the first 3rd person shooter I'd actually played since Star Wars Battlefront, and I found it thoroughly enjoyable, but there were always some niggling bits that I didn't like. You pinned them down perfectly here, so I'm a little saddened to see that some of the gameplay factors that made the original a good game rather than a great game are still present. The boss fights surprsingly were pretty easy for me, although I wasn't exactly keen on the whole 'stagger' thing when attacked. That made some parts, such as when you first meet and fight Basil, extremely tough to do (I remember a significant amount of trouble fighting her first time around). Hopefully by the time the full version of Lost Planet 2 is released, these gameplay issues will have been fixed. Sadly, as so often happens with Capcom's games, I doubt this will be the case. Still, at least it looks like it'll shape up to still be a good game. It's just a shame Capcom so often fail to realise the potential of their good games and fail to see how they could possibly make them 'great'.

Wow. That was a remarkable necro-post. Did you mean to post here instead?
Edit - Not taking a dig at you, just wondering.

Caimekaze:

Trivun:

Wow. That was a remarkable necro-post. Did you mean to post here instead?
Edit - Not taking a dig at you, just wondering.

Actually, good point x) I just saw this thread somewhere (no idea where now, come to think of it) and didn't notice it was a necro-thread... I'll post again in the right place then :) Thanks for letting me know.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here