Geekend Update: Bedbugs, The PETMAN Robot, and 3D Scanners

Bedbugs, The PETMAN Robot, and 3D Scanners

Your weekly look at the most interesting science stories in the ever-expanding universe.

For more on the stories this week, you can read about Bedbugs, The PETMAN Robot, and 3D Scanners.

To submit your favorite science stories or intro suggestions, send us an email here: GeekendUpdate@escapistmag.com

Watch Video

Another potential problem when making a synthetic alternative to the bean leaves is figuring out what attracts the bedbugs to the leaves otherwise wouldn't you have to put the things on the bed?

point of clarity, what do you mean by fun ideas for your intro? Like just a sciency phrase? Skit? Theme song?

I don't understand why anyone finds the PETMAN scary when he's not wearing a gasmask. Doctor who has taught me to fear gasmasks.

An army of tiny PETMANs would be so cute!

An army of tiny PETMANs....I think I just found my new favourite apocalypse. Or a way to take over the world.

I really wish the scientific community would admit the value of home-remedies more often. A lot of home-remedies have been passed down for generations because they work. and then we can take the ones that work, find out how they work and synthesis/extract the chemicals that do the work and make them better.

Eric the Orange:
point of clarity, what do you mean by fun ideas for your intro? Like just a sciency phrase? Skit? Theme song?

I am open to sciencey turns of phrase, songs, and whatever else you can come up with. I can't guarantee bigger productions (like skits) will ever get made, but I'm not opposed to looking into doing them. :)

Camaranth:
An army of tiny PETMANs....I think I just found my new favourite apocalypse. Or a way to take over the world.

I really wish the scientific community would admit the value of home-remedies more often. A lot of home-remedies have been passed down for generations because they work. and then we can take the ones that work, find out how they work and synthesis/extract the chemicals that do the work and make them better.

The problem with that is figuring out how many of them work purely due to the placebo effect. As well as figuring out how many of them actually work as opposed to people just saying they do.

kailus13:

Camaranth:

The problem with that is figuring out how many of them work purely due to the placebo effect. As well as figuring out how many of them actually work as opposed to people just saying they do.

oh absolutely. Not to mention all the issues trying to backwards engineer what compounds are active and if they have to work in tandem with each other etc. I just think they can be a good starting point/inspiration, like willow bark leading to aspirin.

1) The bean leaf/bed bug solution reminds me of the "old time remedies" my grandmothers used to talk about and use. This part of the story made me a little melancholy for those stories they used to tell.

2) Once again DARPA is leading the way towards our eventual subjugation by Skynet. Did you know that people are already building robots for rioting in the streets?

3) I wonder if 3-D scanners/printers are the first steps in humanity creating real life Star Trek replicators?!? O.O

I'VE GOT IT! you use the army of tiny petmen to fight the bed bugs! Every morning you get your own little reenactment of Starship Troopers.

canadamus_prime:
Another potential problem when making a synthetic alternative to the bean leaves is figuring out what attracts the bedbugs to the leaves otherwise wouldn't you have to put the things on the bed?

As with teflon coating or lotus leaf structures... I'd say it might be a smart idea to either add the structure to the surface of bed frames or sell it like moth paper, fly paper or the like. Then again, I'd rather burn the house down.

There are few things that genuinely disgust me. Heart worms, lung worms and bed bugs are amongst them. Filthy little things.

Copper Zen:

2) Once again DARPA is leading the way towards our eventual subjugation by Skynet. Did you know that people are already building robots for rioting in the streets?

The LS3 and Big Dog types are currently sold to the ever-amazed public as pack mules with the ability to actively prevent falling over... or getting back up again when downed. However, imagine what fun they would be if they walked around packed with machine guns, grenade launchers and laz0rs? Like small AT-AT walkers, just real and able to merrily walk through all sorts of terrain.

The only one that seems well threatening to me already is the Cheeta, however:

Imagine this thing coming at you at 30 mph speeds, one grappling arm and titanium jaws ready to plow through you and rip you in half?

"You better work!"

I will be watching that video for the rest of the night! Also, does anyone know what the background music is while Ashley is presenting? Sounds like Mass Effect.

Loved this one. Keep it up guys. The little bits of extra added humor really makes this show work better.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here